BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
These laws vary from state to state.  It is legal to tape-record a conversation in Alabama as long as one member of the conversion knows about it.  It is not legal in Maryland.  This should fall under the 1st ammendment making it legal everywhere.  It just makes me mad when a public official says that you cannot record something.  They must be hiding something.  There was a KKK march in Birmingham years ago and the city said that cameras were not allowed along the parade route.  The press was restricted to a small fenced in area, "for their protection".  I say take the people take the pictures and let the public judge.
View Quote

You are talking about PHONE conversations.  Also know as wire tapping.  Face to face conversations are a completely different thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Blaze of Glory,

You are 100% correct. I was simply responding to the canine sniff question.

But, let me give all of you a piece of advice regarding LEOs. There are some guys out there on the streets that should not be cops. They will KILL YOU in a heartbeat if you start "fighting back".
If a cop assaults you, DO NOT FIGHT BACK!!!!! If he is messed up enough to assault you then he is messed up enough to kill you. And 9 out of 10 times if a defense attorney shows that you were fighting with the officer, he will not be convicted.

IF you are assaulted by a police officer, AND WERE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG, Not(He assaulted me cuz' I spit in his face) then get his DSN, or car# and file a report. If a officer starts receiving excessive force complaints, the Department will terminate him, there is just too much liability for a dept. to hang on to a guy like that.

Remember though... DO NOT RESIST!! There are guys I have known in the past that would try to get people to resist so they could kick the shit out of them. They are no longer working in Law Enforcement, but how many people got messed up before they were finally terminated?
View Quote
Your point is well-taken, but even an assailant with a badge is no match for a law-abiding person with a tape-recorder and a fast draw.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
jrzy, what happened to my wife was a bit different.
Her mom lived on a main road in Howell. There was construction on this road this preticular day. Her mom's house was about 100' past the barracades, well before the actual digging was going on.
Through the course of the day, my wife was at her moms about a dozen times. The cop that was sitting at the barracade grew used to her passing, and stopped coming out of his air conditioned cruiser after a while.
Well, evidently there was a shift change. My wife came to the corner, stopped, the proceeded to go to her moms.
The cop exited the vehilce yelling at her that "if you dont stop, I'll shoot!!"
Of course, my wife was scared shitless.
When I got home from work, she was a bit calmer, but still shook up. She told me the story, and I wanted that son of a bitches badge on my mantle piece, if not his head!
You know the story, wife was scared, and thought she wouldnt be able to walk down the street w/o getting police hassles.
I told her that they'd be tripping over themselves to stay the *F* away from her, but she didnt want to presue it any further.
I wish we did.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
ctrmass
Well the way this turned out was not all bad for my son,he couldn't get arrested in that town now,he has been stopped since then and the officer came up to the window and told my son it was a mistake to stop him and said have a good night son,:)
If you pushed it a little with the chief in howell you might have been ok ,but maybe not ,i have heard some bad shit about howell in the last few years,maybe all the new young guys.
Do you belong to shoreshot in lakewood ?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Give them a copy of "Unintended Consequences". If you are not a JBT violating anyone's rights, you do not have to fear the hogs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#6]
No. CJRP.
Howell cops were known for robbing banks a while back....werent they?
I know, because I knew that cop.[:D]
I dont live there anymore. I'm closer to the club.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#7]
jrzy,

Pardon me if this has already been asked, but what type of recorder did you buy and where did your son put it when he turned it on?  How clear was the recording during the playback?

BTW I'm glad you got everything sorted out.  It really sucks that the only way anything gets done about these things is to take matters into you own hands.

Thanks,

Chris
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
jrzy,

Pardon me if this has already been asked, but what type of recorder did you buy and where did your son put it when he turned it on?  How clear was the recording during the playback?

BTW I'm glad you got everything sorted out.  It really sucks that the only way anything gets done about these things is to take matters into you own hands.

Thanks,

Chris
View Quote

It was a Radio shack mini cassett recorder and i had him keep it on the sunvisor where he keep his Lic. and reg., so that when he reached up for the documents he could turn it on while the officer was walking up to the truck.
You would be amazed how clear the recording is
,the truck window was still down and he was about 3 feet from the window when this happened,
you can hear him giggle as the female officer went to far up his thigh while searching him and then you can hear the smack as the male officer hits him in the back of the head and then you hear my son in a calm voice saying to the cop "why did you hit me" and the male officer saying "because you're a smartass"
you can also hear the male officer telling my son that he had better forget about the "love tap" he just got if he knew what was best for him.
One other thing ,the female officer when questioned about this told the whole truth to the sergeant that was looking into this in the first place,but from what i understand he did not file that report until after the recording became known to them.
I thought I would feel less angry about this by posting it here,instead i find myself getting mad all over again,so much for venting one's anger,LOL
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top