Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Depends on the law in the area. In some areas it's perfectly legal to detain someone who commits a violent crime like assault. In some areas not so much.

I doubt anything will happen to the guys who intervened because the dude they whooped on was a shithead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which the driver wasnt going to do until he was threatened....By the people assaulting him. They even admit they are trying to get him to stay there, but I dont believe you can legally hold someone like that.

Depends on the law in the area. In some areas it's perfectly legal to detain someone who commits a violent crime like assault. In some areas not so much.

I doubt anything will happen to the guys who intervened because the dude they whooped on was a shithead.

To what degree? Lets say they said "Now yous cant leave", if the guy sits down and waits for the police thats probably the end of it. What if he says "I damn well am". What level of force is a citizen authorized to use in order to detain someone? As far as I'm concerned its a grey line not even worth trying. Can I put my had on them? Can I assault them in the interest of making sure they dont leave? Shoot out their tires?

Legal or not, it seems like one hell of a grey area between "detaining" and "assaulting" and it only takes 1 vindictive DA to make your world a mess.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
This is why we need some common sense mag-light control. Probably some truck control too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I see lots of people will get to go to jail.
You cant beat the shit out of someone, no matter how much they deserve it, if they are walking away.
View Quote

Everyone goes and let the DA sort it out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep.  If they are a couple I'm sure they deserve each other.  That and I've been to enough of those DV calls back in my day I can smell their filthy ass'd BO from that video.

If it were me, I'd take video, record the plates and give it to the cops when they show up.  You'd be amazed how many DV assaults are really mutual combatants.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From a jaded perspective, both of them probably needed to go to jail. I bet the cops have been to their trailer at least a dozen times where both of them get drunk and hit each other.  Then the cops come and arrest the primary agressor. Then she refuses to testify and the state drops the charges.

What I think happened...  She broke out the window with the flashlight while he was in the driver's seat. Then hit him with the flash light, then he grabbed the flashlight and opened the truck door and as he did that, she fell to the ground and cut her legs on the glass. Then she climbed up on the truck bed and that's where the video started.

To those that broke that shit up, if not U.S. citizens, they need to be.
Yep.  If they are a couple I'm sure they deserve each other.  That and I've been to enough of those DV calls back in my day I can smell their filthy ass'd BO from that video.

If it were me, I'd take video, record the plates and give it to the cops when they show up.  You'd be amazed how many DV assaults are really mutual combatants.

I know brah. Most people think DV is like a TV drama where the woman is married to a rich man and covers her black eye with make up to keep the family together. Life time movie bullshit. 90% of the DV I've gone to, both needed to go to jail if I had my choice. If I roll up and she's in there still arguing with him, you know it's mutual combat. Unfortunately, you know the magistrate judge won't sign warrants on both parties very often. The remaining 10% are abused and need help. Then there's the I'm sick of his shit, I'll rub my neck and claim I've been choked and I'll have my kid coached by the time the cops get there as he's already left. And as always you arrive and gotta wait ten minutes to wait for the "victim" to get off of the phone to tell the whole world she called the police over and now it's serious again.

My favorite line.  Cops can end the rest of this statement.

"My boyfriend kicked me in my stomach and...."  Finish the sentence!  If you've been a cop for a year you know the rest.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
She's the "Flower girl" from True Detective series 1.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/63/4d/7e/634d7ed233cbe9120183bd607d4afc10.jpg  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
The big fellow is armed with a deadly weapon and committing an Aggravated Assault and Aggravated Battery under Florida law when the scene opens. He progresses to either Kidnaping or False Imprisonment while Armed as the story progresses. These are forcible felonies. Forcible felonies may be terminated with deadly force under Florida law. In Florida, it would technically be legal to shoot him. It would certainly be legal to hold him at gunpoint or to otherwise arrest him. I don't know for sure that this happened in Florida, or that any of these things would be wise.

As several people have pointed out, this is probably Chapter MCCLVI of Love Means Having to Say "Quit Hitting Me." My inclination is either to let the lovebirds alone or to stop the beating and get the woman out the truck, letting the hero leave if he likes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. I'm walking away from this one, because I'm armed. When I get around the corner, I'll dial 911. If I'm carrying my phone
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

This. I'm walking away from this one, because I'm armed. When I get around the corner, I'll dial 911. If I'm carrying my phone

I'm not armed...

I don't have the whole story...  But it does look like.

Quoted:

What I think happened...  She broke out the window with the flashlight while he was in the driver's seat.

Then hit him with the flash light, then he grabbed the flashlight and opened the truck door and as he did that, she fell to the ground and cut her legs on the glass. Then she climbed up on the truck bed and that's where the video started.

She's not dead and can move.
Would I be vocal and calling 911...Yes and keeping a safe distance.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Which the driver wasnt going to do until he was threatened....By the people assaulting him. They even admit they are trying to get him to stay there, but I dont believe you can legally hold someone like that.

Which is why a whole bunch of people could end up in jail. If the cops decide they dont want to play "he said she said" you can damn well bet a bunch of people are going downtown, and not entirely undeserved.

Like I said, just because someone should have their ass kicked doesnt mean its legal to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cant beat the shit out of someone, no matter how much they deserve it, if they are walking away.

Unless you believe they are about to drive off with a victim in the bed of their truck.

Which is why a whole bunch of people could end up in jail. If the cops decide they dont want to play "he said she said" you can damn well bet a bunch of people are going downtown, and not entirely undeserved.

Like I said, just because someone should have their ass kicked doesnt mean its legal to do it.
Lol, fucking CA big city thinking.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go ahead.. Play the hero.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Now, what would change if he was hitting her about the head with the mag light? O.K. then to detain him? Deadly force o.k.? O.K. to draw down? I know it varies by state and circumstance but a lot of gray areas here.

Speaking of mutual combat DV; I had neighbors who were renters that were constantly fighting. She (about 5'8" 140 lbs) came running and sobbing hysterically to my door and said "my husband [who by the way weighs about 140 lbs wet] just got done attacking and beating me. I'm really scared. If you see him coming back down the street call the cops for me...he took my phone."

I said, are you truly afraid? She said "yes." So I held out my phone and said "Do you want to call the cops now and report it?" She shook her head "no" and said "No I don't want to call but please call them if you see him come back."  WTF?

So she was so "afraid" she didn't even call the cops when she had the chance. Giant waste of my time with her drama llama. Later her husband comes to my door asking if I called the cops and when I said "no" he said "Dude, she was the one beating on me!"

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
If it were police officers coming in for aid, the fat guy would have been dead long before he started the car.. And his dog in the passenger seat too.

Also, I bet a couple of the good samaritans will have a lawsuit on their hand via Who can I sue .com...   MERICA!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it were police officers coming in for aid, the fat guy would have been dead long before he started the car.
View Quote

Meh, I've walked in on way worse beatings than that at work and no one got shot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also, I bet a couple of the good samaritans will have a lawsuit on their hand via Who canIsue.com...   MERICA!
View Quote

Your going to try and collect from those guys..

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If it were police officers coming in for aid, the fat guy would have been dead long before he started the car.. And his dog in the passenger seat too.

Also, I bet a couple of the good samaritans will have a lawsuit on their hand via Who can I sue.com...   MERICA!
View Quote

Well yeah obviously you shoot the dog.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you believe they are about to drive off with a victim in the bed of their truck.

There are no first world countries on the globe where you can attack a man in the back and get away with it. None. ZERO.

Now if you want to play the "Just trying to detain him Officer" card be my guest. I dont have a desire to throw a whole bunch of money into the legal system myself though. That or your brother is the DA, in which case lucky you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Needz moar tazer.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
She'll be in his bed tonight.  
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
False. No "bed" could handle the both of them. It would have to be a custom built 5/8" plywood platform with 4"x4"'s reinforcing every 8 inches...placed on a 6" rebar-reinforced high psi concrete slab of course. I'm not in the construction field so I'm unsure if that would be sufficient to support them. Professionals, please chime in.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Fake as fuck.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ha ha, I just saw that. I think he is too fat to be a cop so he either bought the truck with that or is a poser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol guys truck had thin blue line front plate

Ha ha, I just saw that. I think he is too fat to be a cop so he either bought the truck with that or is a poser.

I take it that you've never been to Nashville.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go on...

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#25]

She sure wasn't in a hurry to get out of that truck bed and escape. I don't think I would have done shit for her beyond telling him to stop and encouraging her to run hobble away. It looked like mutual combat that wasn't going her way and it looked like she wasn't committed to ending it. No reason to raise a hand to him and risk getting in trouble for helping a woman that's not really into getting safe. I say do everything you can verbally, call the cops for her and then fuck them both if they want to continue their bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Go on...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on...  

Nashville? Try Nola.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#27]
The guy was ex LEO or corrections I can't remember.  It ran on the local news.  It was in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The guy was ex LEO or corrections I can't remember.  It ran on the local news.  It was in Oklahoma.
View Quote
Here is the story:

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Beat by 13 seconds
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Beat by 13 seconds
View Quote
You get the credit; I wouldn't have searched for it without your input.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Whoa.

I cringed when they allowed d-bag to get into his cab.

I cringed when camera man walked in front of the truck after d-bag had it started.

Finally, I cringed when our hero jumped into the d-bag's truck.

But good on 'em.

Where's the MYOB crowd? Did I make it?
View Quote

Their heart was in the right place but execution was poor.

Separate the two, get her the fuck out of the truck, grab a plate number and let him go.

If they could have kept him out of the truck then yeah, beat the shit out of him, but once he was in the drivers seat it was time to get out of the way.

Either way, its nice to see people do the right thing.  If they were cops they could have just blasted the shit out of him the second he turned the truck remotely in their direction.    Would have been doing society a favor.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

True.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Meh, I've walked in on way worse beatings than that at work and no one got shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it were police officers coming in for aid, the fat guy would have been dead long before he started the car.

Lot of folks 'round here just itching to cap off on someone.

Lets be honest, way worse than that has been shitcanned a million times.

"Oh no Officer, me and Pokey was jes' arguing, and then he fell on a knife."

"Sounds good to me. We're 98, Central."

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like a double shooting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Like a double shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like a double shooting.

That one is in the Shitcanning Hall of Fame. Don't think I've ever heard one that topped it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#38]
They were fighting over the square cake on the console, the Dorito's on the dash were already claimed by Mr Maglite beater it seems.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#39]
From the looks of the broken glass... did he break the passenger window, drag her out... and load her on the back of the truck? Looks like the old man was trying to kidnap her.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

this, fuck getting involved in domestics
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#41]
South okc does not disappoint.

They were also a homeless couple living out of that truck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Jesus, what a shit-show. If I were armed, (which I usually am,) I'd stay back and call the cops with a full description. No way, no how would I want to get physical there while being armed.  Once the lady was out of the truck and safe, them de-escalate that situation PDQ.

Whacking your lady with a mag light is never acceptable but a few are right, she'll be back with said tubby the next night choking down at Golden Corral.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

It;s depressing because it's true.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This....I would have called the cops and continued inside to shop.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:32:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Even worse, by the next day her story will be he was just angry it was ok but those strangers man they came and assaulted him, THEY need to go to jail.

Domestic abuse, as fucked up as it is, is an issue to call the 911 boys and then walk away from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But she loves him, they'll make up and he'll beat the shit out of her again.

No sympathy for her if that happens.

Even worse, by the next day her story will be he was just angry it was ok but those strangers man they came and assaulted him, THEY need to go to jail.

Domestic abuse, as fucked up as it is, is an issue to call the 911 boys and then walk away from.

This.

Even cops don't wanna get involved with domestics.
Lots of injured/dead cops as a result of the victim turning on them when they go hands on with the abuser.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#47]
[ETA] Never mind. Just not worth it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top