Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Buying them lunch would be a equal to saying nanner nanner nanner.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't buy them lunch. It could be taken as a pitty gesture. Just do your job and don't gloat.

+1
exactly.  Just act normal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thier beef should be with the boss, not you.

I've been in the same situation you are going through right now. The other guy was a real hothead and I was asked to steer clear of him after the announcement.

After the news broke, he gave me the Stink Eye for at least an hour before I had enough of it. And told him his beef was with the boss and not me. He apologized immediately and said I was right. He had a brief meeting with the dept head and promptly quit.

Maybe pointing out who the bad guy is will help you also.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]
When I moved up the food chain I found the people who didn't like it, didn't matter. Eventually everyone got over it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:41:50 AM EDT
[#6]
And if all else fails, send him a link to this thread.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:53:59 AM EDT
[#7]
It is what it is, you were selected for the job.

The person who hired you must have seen something in your background or work ethic that he/she didn't see in the others. Don't appologise (sp) for working hard and knowing your shit.

How they handle the situation is up to them. You sound like you aren't the kind of person to hold it over them, so i would think things will not need any smoothing out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Tag for AAR
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I seriously doubt that an auto mechanics teacher is more qualified than the other two candidates. I've known trainers in my profession who have every certification imaginable. In the field, they are next to worthless. Throughout my life, I've found that the saying, "those who can do, those who can't teach" is based in truth. It seems that they may have a reason to be angry if in fact you did get the job. Try not to fall on your face.

Someone sounds bitter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Tagged for when the OP gets home from work.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Some of you dumbasses need to go back and read the OP ENTIRELY, because you seemed to pass over the spot where he mentioned 14 YEARS on the job before he went to teach. So not only does he have more EXPERIENCE than the other two guys, he has more EDUCATION as well.
Some of you should have paid more attention in school or gone to school rather than spend a lot of time bitching about how those who did are getting ahead of you
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have to agree here. I would be pissed if some 5mo. rookie just passed me up for 10yrs of experience.

If this was a union job, the guy with 10yrs would have got the spot based on seniority.

Its obviously not a union job.

If you want a union job where all that counts is time clock punches, go get one.
Other options include night school, and searching the classifieds.

Congrats to the OP.
Nice to see someone who actually deserves a promotion, getting one.
You didn't earn all those credentials for nothing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#14]
If you got promoted instead of them, its because in the 19 years of combined experiance they have, they never showed the people in charge that they were ready for the position.

You did.

congrats.

Don't let alot of the "People who can't do, teach" guys here get you down. When I joined the military as a comm guy after college, I knew a awful lot more about networking than a lot of guys that had been installing tactical networks for years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well it was 50/50 today. The 9 year guy was cool with it and just gave me shit to be giving me shit.

The 10 year guy that thought he HAD the job gave me the stink eye all day and acted like a pissed off bear.

I don't expect him to stick around much longer. It's hard to move up at this job because it's a gravy job and nobody quits until they retire. I figure the next position won't open up for about 6-7 years from now.

Most of the other guys came buy shook my hand and congratulated me.

No it's not a union job but they think it is for some reason. 30 min am break 1 hour lunch and a 30 min PM break.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I seriously doubt that an auto mechanics teacher is more qualified than the other two candidates. I've known trainers in my profession who have every certification imaginable. In the field, they are next to worthless. Throughout my life, I've found that the saying, "those who can do, those who can't teach" is based in truth. It seems that they may have a reason to be angry if in fact you did get the job. Try not to fall on your face.

Someone sounds bitter.

Not really. I'm the boss.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
you are buying donuts forever
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Now you can knock those breaks down to 10 or 15 minutes.

Congrats.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No it's not a union job but they think it is for some reason. 30 min am break 1 hour lunch and a 30 min PM break.

wow!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This thread is full of assholes who think that seniority means a lot.

It doesn't.

My cousin was a foreman at 23. He had people under him who have spent the last 35 years not learning anything.

Fuck them.

The OP has more OTJ experience, and much more education.  No, it hasn't made him smarter.  Just better educated.  And he will reap the rewards of his hard work.

The most qualified candidates will continue to get jobs.  The OP doesn't owe anybody.  He's doing fine.

Some guys have 15 years on, but it's like they just repeat the first year 15 times.

Years on the job does not automatically equal "best guy" etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Now you can knock those breaks down to 10 or 15 minutes.

Congrats.

why in the WORLD would I want to do that? Without the breaks uno isn't nearly as fun.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't.

My cousin was a foreman at 23. He had people under him who have spent the last 35 years not learning anything.

Fuck them.

The OP has more OTJ experience, and much more education.  No, it hasn't made him smarter.  Just better educated.  And he will reap the rewards of his hard work.

The most qualified candidates will continue to get jobs.  The OP doesn't owe anybody.  He's doing fine.

Some guys have 15 years on, but it's like they just repeat the first year 15 times.

Spot-on.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
School will never make you smarter than a guy who been doing the work for 10 years.

I disagree here, schooling will cut down in the length of time it takes to absorb the experience.  Sure it takes the same amount of time to get "10 years" of experience but I can guarantee you that the guy who has 10 years and no school will be further behind than the guy who has 10 years and went to school.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It doesn't.

Fuck them.

My name is RealFastV6 and I approve of this post.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone sounds bitter.

Not really. I'm the boss.

I suppose you got there just by showing up to the same job everyday for longer then everybody else?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Considering that you have 14 years experience in the field, I wouldn't even worry about it. You've got more experience. You're certified. You may even do everything better than them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't.

Fuck them.

One of the guys working for me has been here 20 yrs and has a grand total of 1 yrs experience times 20, but for whatever reason thats the way he likes it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top