BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
That guy was pretty calm, considering a plane was heading straight towards him!

I posted this in another thread, but it's not getting much traffic since it's an old thread, so I'll post it here.  Another aircraft mishap that's gotta be the most amazing I've seen, in several ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHUyWw17ihQ&feature=related

Turn up the speakers and listen to the cable sliding towards the camera.  Also pay attention to how much that cable shakes around those huge helicoptors, and watch the guy in the green shirt.  After the first cable another cable comes and hits some of the guys again, and hits the helicoptors again.

Yeah, my dad taught me about how those thick cables can cut you in half.  We were walking a riverside dock and the barges were tied up by cable.  He said to always stay away from  cables like that under heavy tension, because if they snap they'll cut people in half if they're in the way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Another doctor wrecks a plane he can afford to purchase, but doesn't have the time to learn to fly.    Fortunately, on one was injured this time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Registered Owner

LOL he's a SURGEON

First, Alaska has more licensed pilots than any other state in the union.

Second, Alaska has many surgeons who are also pilots. We also have people of many vocations who are also pilots. It's how we get around up here.

Third, my guess is that he did a better job on that takeoff than you would.

You might want to consider backing off on the critique of his work until you can show us your credentials on how well you handle cross wind takeoffs from a float plane lake.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:55:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Registered Owner

LOL he's a SURGEON

Second, Alaska has many surgeons who are also pilots. We also have people of many vocations who are also pilots. It's how we get around up here.

You might want to consider backing off on the critique of his work until you can show us your credentials on how well you handle cross wind takeoffs from a float plane lake.

Heh...

Remembering learning to land in a crosswind, with WHEELS...

Taking off with floats would be 'interesting' - I immagine the wind can blow you sideways while you're trying to get airborne....

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I think someone upstairs had there hand upon those souls.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Registered Owner

LOL he's a SURGEON

I've always heard doctors have the highest crash rate in private aviation.

Maybe a more prudent person wou;dn't have attempted that take-off.

There was clearly wind, heard on the recording, but not so much the foilage in the video was being whipped around.

I would like to know if he was trying to be filmed taking off.

I'd also like to know how much weight, passengers and cargo were onboard. The video comments say 2 adults, 2 children, and 2 dogs. The plane should have 2100 lb cargo. Although I assume with pontoons it is less.

When I watched it, before looking at comments, it seems to me the engine isn't at WOT, almost like the pilot is trying to give it just enough gas to take off.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#8]
My ass would have been moving LONG before that guy hit the ground.

At some point, you have to ask yourself, "Do I really have the Zoom cranked up that high, or is that thing really about to hit me?"

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I posted this in another thread, but it's not getting much traffic since it's an old thread, so I'll post it here.  Another aircraft mishap that's gotta be the most amazing I've seen, in several ways.

Turn up the speakers and listen to the cable sliding towards the camera.  Also pay attention to how much that cable shakes around those huge helicoptors, and watch the guy in the green shirt.  After the first cable another cable comes and hits some of the guys again, and hits the helicopters again.

I did a deployment on that ship shortly after that happened.
I heard about it, but never saw the video.
That green shirt is lucky he didn't loose a leg, though I'm sure his back isn't in the best of shape. He wasn't watching the Landing Area while walking along the foul line, and paid for it.
It looks like the someone's Flight Deck Coordinator (green float coat, but wearing khakis usually means a FDC) takes 2 hits while he is behind that forward H-60 in the helo hole. First wire knocks him down, second wire sends him flying yet again.
Usually people loose limbs when this happens.
I always kept my eyes on the wires when working around the LA while the ship was recovering aircraft. Even standing behind an aircraft isn't safe, because the wire will whip around and catch you anyway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Registered Owner

LOL he's a SURGEON

I've always heard doctors have the highest crash rate in private aviation.

Maybe a more prudent person wou;dn't have attempted that take-off.

There was clearly wind, heard on the recording, but not so much the foilage in the video was being whipped around.

I would like to know if he was trying to be filmed taking off.

I'd also like to know how much weight, passengers and cargo were onboard. The video comments say 2 adults, 2 children, and 2 dogs. The plane should have 2100 lb cargo. Although I assume with pontoons it is less.

When I watched it, before looking at comments, it seems to me the engine isn't at WOT, almost like the pilot is trying to give it just enough gas to take off.

With comments like those above, I'm sure you'll be asked to join the NTSB investigation.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will not buff out.

thats a shame,  i work in ATC at a General Aviation airport, you see it from time to time that pilots would rather

try to force a landing or take-off than just break it off and try again later

More difficult to abort a water takeoff.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So it looks like he was trying for the channel and the cross wind + dragging the left float a little took him into the shore. Correct?

Bingo.  Floats have lots of drag until they fully clear the water.  Unlike wheels, the drag of floats increases until the wetted area decreases substantially.

Holy Crap!!!!!

Can a float plane take off from a water based treadmill?

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
So it looks like he was trying for the channel and the cross wind + dragging the left float a little took him into the shore. Correct?

Bingo.  Floats have lots of drag until they fully clear the water.  Unlike wheels, the drag of floats increases until the wetted area decreases substantially.

Holy Crap!!!!!

Can a float plane take off from a water based treadmill?

-JTP

You mean like a river?  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Just a little tip for those of you who are dismayed at the fact that the pilot's personal info was posted - it's probably not a good idea to show your amazement at this breach of etiquette by RE-POSTING the information.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#15]
The pilot almost made it.

That chainlink fence just jumped up and grabbed the left float.

[eta: This frame is after the float snags the fence, bouncing the left wiingtip off the grass!   I don't think I'd want to call this a 'good landing',  Even if the pilot walked away!]

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#16]
dam
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Sad thing is he had PLENTY of channel left there. Almost 5K feet if I remember correctly. There was no need to force the takeoff with insufficient airspeed.

Glad everybody survived.

ETA about 4K feet
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#18]
If that is all it takes to be a pilot and a surgeon.......well I got that covered. I bet I could crash on take off better than that
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Turn up the speakers and listen to the cable sliding towards the camera.  Also pay attention to how much that cable shakes around those huge helicoptors, and watch the guy in the green shirt.  After the first cable another cable comes and hits some of the guys again, and hits the helicoptors again.

!!!  Talk about the "Quick and the dead."  The pilot and that leaping yellow shirt each had about a second and a half to save their own lives/avoid serious injury.  Unbelievable!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Man! that jumping dude has awsome reflexes!!!  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top