Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm's are girlie boolits
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it is beyond obvious that .40 cal Glocks are more problematic in terms of KB'ing than other Glocks chambered for different rounds. Otherwise, you'd be seeing a million threads from people talking about their Glock 17 or 19 blowing up in their face. Yet you don't see that. You see virtually zero complaints about 9mm Glocks. It is almost always the .40. To me, that indicates this goes beyond simple myth.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot hundreds of rounds through my issued Glock 22. Ammo was either JBT practice ammo (jacketed tip) or JBT street ammo (hollow points).

I have a Glock 27 which I've only shot practice ammo through it.The trigger feel seems heavier than the Glock 22.

I've never used unjacketed tipped bullets or reloads through the gun. The only problems I've had are stove-piping spent rounds once in awhile.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't the problem that the case isn't fully supported by the chamber in the .40, which is why the problems are w/ the .40 and not other calibers?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't really care until my friends blew up in his hand. That coupled with my friend who bought a 17, on my advice, and then had it fail repeatedly at the range. After that I have no faith in the brand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
All auto loaders are unsupported to some point in the chamber.  Take the barrel out of a 1911 and drop a round in it.  They have to be to feed the round up out of the mag.  The 1st gen Glock .40 were really unsupported, part of fitting the 40 S&W into a weapon made for 9mm.  I think this is where most of the KBs come from.  I wonder how many of theses were 2nd or 3rd gen guns?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Years ago when Glock first offered the model 22 I bought one.  I shot it a few times then traded it off for something else.  I own a few other Glocks in 9mm and .45 and never had any problems with any of them.
However, I have read all the kaboom horror stories and seen the pics of the carnage.  Question is, are they warranted and based on fact or has the internet enabled the few stories to be blown out of proportion.

ARFCOM IS the internet.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:35:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll probably get flamed for this, but the .40 cartridge itself is a poor choice IMHO.  It doesn't really do anything that a 9mm won't do pretty much as well.  

It was the answer to the question the FBI asked in the late 80's, which was how to get mid-level 10mm power in a 9mm-sized weapon. S&W and Glock both rushed models to market as soon as the 40 cartridge was introduced.  All the .40 is is a 10mm chopped down, similar to the difference between 38 and 357 or 44 special and 44 magnum.

The original Smith guns have long vanished from the market and the Glocks have seen several upgrades to improve their performance with .40, due to its being wildly popular in LE circles for whatever reasons.

I have owned a G23 and shot factory ammo through it with no issues.  I would not hesitate to buy a Glock if I wanted a .40, but to me, it's a caliber that does nothing my 9mm won't do more cheaply and reliably.
Yup good 124 and 147gr 9mm hollow points are roughly as effective as the better 180gr .40 loads

I should add though that this was NOT the case in the late 80's. At that time 9mm loads were seriously lacking in stopping power. It would be unfair the 9mm vs .40 discussion not to state that up front.

Yup

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:36:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Honestly a .40 cal Glock model with a Lone Wolf barrel would be a fine self defense platform.  I just would rather not have to spend an additional $125 on top of night sights to get a gun "go worthy"
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:52:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Most LE agencies that issue .40 isuue Glocks, thousands of them to include the FBI. If there were real issues they would not be doing so.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:04:55 AM EDT
[#14]
No reloads, no lead???
Sounds like an inferior product.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:34:06 AM EDT
[#15]
As of 2007 Glock sold 5 Million pistols. Most of these being 9x19 and .40.

65% (7,500+ PD's) of U.S. law enforcement use the Glock. The majority are .40.

The FBI just ordered 2,963 more Glock 23's.

The Glock is the most popular and heavily used .40 pistol on the planet.

Numerous foreign LE agencies use .40 Glock's. Canada and Australia most notably.

U.S. Special Forces use the Glock in .40.
These are just something to note.

Jul 16, 2010 9:27 am

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE NOTICE CAREFULLY AS IT CONSTITUTES THE ONLY
NOTICE THAT WILL BE ISSUED. This is a combined synopsis/solicitation for
commercial items prepared in accordance with the format in Subpart
12.6, as supplemented with additional information in this request. This
announcement constitutes the only solicitation. This procurement is
being conducted under Federal Acquisition Regulation Parts 12 and 13.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is issuing this acquisition as a
Request for Quote (RFQ) under solicitation number RFQ 0200727. The NAICS
Code for this requirement is 332994-Small Arms Manufacturing: The size
standard for this requirement is 1000 employees. This requirement is a
100% small business set-aside. This requirement is for brand name only.
The resultant contract will be a firm-fixed price contract. The requirement is for the following:
Quantity Description
2,963 each Glock Model 23 pistol, with smooth trigger, extended slide stop, medium magazine catch, tritium sights, 6 magazines
Shipping Condition: Shipping must be free on board (FOB) destination
CONUS. Quotes shall include all shipping costs to Quantico, VA.
Equipment Condition: New Equipment ONLY; No remanufactured or "gray
market" items. All items must be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
Offer Period: Bid must be good for 30 calendar days after close of this
posting. Delivery must be made within 70 days or less after receipt of
order (ARO).
Responses shall be submitted via electronic submission to Amy Lacy at [email protected].
The due date for responses to this RFQ is on or before July 23, 2010,
10:00 am (Eastern Time). Responses must be marked as follows: "RFQ
0200727." All correspondence regarding this requirement must be
submitted to Amy Lacy via email only. Quotes shall include a point of
contact, contractor DUN's number and TIN number.
This RFQ incorporates the provisions and clauses that are in effect
through Federal Acquisition Regulation Circular 2005-44. The provision
at FAR Clause 52.212-1, Instructions to Offerors (Nov 2007) and addendum
are incorporated into this solicitation. Addendum to 52.212-1, Modify:
(b) Submission of offer(s) is to read as follows: "Submit offers
electronically to [email protected].
Provision 52.212-2, Evaluation - Commercial Items is incorporated by
reference. This requirement will be awarded to the low price technically
acceptable (LPTA) offeror. Brand Name Justification: Glock weapons are
the standard issued service pistol for the Federal Bureau of
Investigation (FBI). Provision 52.212-3 Offeror Representations and
Certifications-Commercial Items is incorporated. Contractors may submit
their online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA) at
the following government portal: http://orca.bpn.gov.
Clauses 52.212-4 Contract Terms and Conditions-Commercial Items, and
52.212-5 Contract Terms and Conditions Required to Implement Statues or
Executive Orders, Commercial Items, apply to this solicitation. The
following additional clauses under FAR 52.212-5 are applicable: 5)
52.219-6, Notice of Total Small Business Set-Aside; 16) 52.222-3,
Convict Labor; 17) 52.222-19, Child Labor; 18) 52.222-21, Prohibition of
Segregated Facilities; 19) 52.222-26, Equal Opportunity; 20) 52.222-35,
Equal Opportunity for Special Disabled Veterans; 21) 52.222-36,
Affirmative Action for Workers with Disabilities; 22) 52.222-37,
Employment Reports on Special Disabled Veterans; 23) 52.222-39, 29)
52.225-13, Restrictions on Certain Foreign Purchases; 34) Payment by
Electronic Funds Transfer - Central Contractor Registration. The awardee
shall be registered in the Central Contractor Registration Database.
All quotes will be considered.

Added: <input type="hidden" value="2010-07-20 09:05:49"
name="dnf_class_values[procurement_notice][description][1][added_on]"
/>Jul 20, 2010 9:05 am

Modification #1

See Questions/Answers below:

(Q) In reference to the medium magazine catch, is this the magazine catch that the Bureau developed with Glock?

(A) It is mid-way in length between a standard magazine catch and an extended magazine catch.

(Q) Is there a specific format in which you would like to see this proposal?

(A) The quote should contain the company name/address and POC
information, DUNS #, Tax ID Number, description and/or stock numbers and
pricing. If you wish to submit an SF 1449 that is accepted as well.

(Q) In reference to your current solicitation for 2,963 Glock model 23
handguns, do you have the specific item number for the exact Glock
handgun that you woule like to purchase?

(A) The item number will be Pistol, Model: G23-.40 caliber.

<label for="dnf_class_values_procurement_notice__office_address_">Contracting Office Address</label>:

FBI Engineering Research Facility, FBI Academy

Quantico, Virginia 22135

<label for="dnf_class_values_procurement_notice__place_of_performance_">Place of Performance</label>:

FBI Academy

Quantico, Virginia 22135

United States

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:35:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No reloads, no lead???

Only in GD would Polygonal rifling be considered "inferior."

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No reloads, no lead???

They say this because most people are too stupid to make their own ammunition, thus resulting in blowing up their handgun.  And then these idiots go on the internet and BITCH about how inferior the gun is.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Saw a G22 blow up at the Range when using Winchester white box. Guy required stiches.

All the info I have seen, is that it's limited to the .40 versions. I have had no issues with my G19. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#23]
The instances are pretty few in proportion to the number of guns out there. I do think the Glock design doesn’t hold up as well to a KB as some other designs IF by some small chance you had a KB.

I run 9mm and .45 ACP Glocks and have had no issues, nor do I ever expect to have any issues. The .40 SW round has never done much for me so I don’t own any of them. Glock is a proven design and there is no handgun I would trust my life to more so than a Glock, at any price point.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Saw a G22 blow up at the Range when using Winchester white box. Guy required stiches.

All the info I have seen, is that it's limited to the .40 versions. I have had no issues with my G19. YMMV.

There was a rash of problems with the Glock 21 .45 a few years ago.  I believe it stemmed from some Kb's in LA.  I haven't seen or heard anything since.

Simple answer: early .40s apparently had some issues supposedly with an "unsupported" chamber.  I had two and never had a problem.  I believe Glock worked that out because it seems the only ones that Kb now are with reloads or some other ammo-related issue.  

Simple solution- get a new one and follow the instruction manual and you shouldn't have any problems.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll probably get flamed for this, but the .40 cartridge itself is a poor choice IMHO.  It doesn't really do anything that a 9mm won't do pretty much as well.  

It was the answer to the question the FBI asked in the late 80's, which was how to get mid-level 10mm power in a 9mm-sized weapon. S&W and Glock both rushed models to market as soon as the 40 cartridge was introduced.  All the .40 is is a 10mm chopped down, similar to the difference between 38 and 357 or 44 special and 44 magnum.

The original Smith guns have long vanished from the market and the Glocks have seen several upgrades to improve their performance with .40, due to its being wildly popular in LE circles for whatever reasons.

I have owned a G23 and shot factory ammo through it with no issues.  I would not hesitate to buy a Glock if I wanted a .40, but to me, it's a caliber that does nothing my 9mm won't do more cheaply and reliably.
Yup good 124 and 147gr 9mm hollow points are roughly as effective as the better 180gr .40 loads

Mostly true, except through auto glass.  The best .40 loads are much more reliable at penetrating to 12" in gelatin after going through windshields than the best 9mm loads.  If your agency shoots a lot of people in cars, that may be important.  I'm not a cop and am confident enough in my 9mm girlie bullets.  

To the OP - most people never have trouble with their .40 S&W Glocks, but a lot more people have problems with them than have problems with 9mm Glocks.  I wouldn't own one again (feeding problems).
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a rash of problems with the Glock 21 .45 a few years ago. I believe it stemmed from some Kb's in LA. I haven't seen or heard anything since.

There were some KBs, and there were also some issues with G21's that were failing to reset. (Dead trigger) I believe those issues have been sorted out now.

LAPD issues 9mm Glocks currently. I don't know if they authorize .45 caliber Glocks anymore since the trigger bar thing.

I talked to their Rangemaster and FI shortly after it happened.  I'll see if I can find the email but I think you are correct about the dead trigger.  IIRC they immediately stopped the G21 as an alternative.  I don't know if it was ever reinstated.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top