Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of people like the thinness of the shield for appendix carry.  

I shoot the 26 better than the shield.
View Quote

This.

except, I prefer G27  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

That is also Hollywood.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm still holding out for a single stack 9mm Glock.

Till then, G19.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

OK, and I'm glad you brought that up; that is one of the only situations where I can see it being better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I put the shield in my pocket.

OK, and I'm glad you brought that up; that is one of the only situations where I can see it being better.

Non permissive environment for me means AIWB carry is a must.  AIWB carry for me means a manual safety, but YMMV.  Sure wish Glock offered that as a factory option.  Another arfcom thread brought this to my attention and it may be of interest to some here.  Also, if you see the Shield as an upgrade for a Jframe (similar size + greater capacity, faster reloads and thinner) VS comparing it with a chopped compact it really shines in that niche.  There are many times, temperatures and situations where I would leave behind larger double stack autos in favor of the smaller lighter Jframe.  A shield is IMO a better compromise (and all CC guns are a compromise) than a Jframe or something in .380.  

ETA pics of Jframe and Shield here
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Never understood why Glock even made the G26.  It is like a worthless chambering of the .40 between a .45 and 9mm.

Carry a G19 or actually go smaller with the Shield.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sure wish Glock offered that as a factory option.  
View Quote

I wish Glock would offer a manual safety option on all of their guns... just to watch the Glock fanboy apoplexy.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm still holding out for a single stack 9mm Glock.

Till then, G19.
View Quote

Same

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I've only shot a .40 Shield and it was a snappy little thing.  

I'm just waiting on the single stack 9 Glock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The Shield and Walther PPS are very similar in size.

I have both and prefer to carry them to the G19.

The Shield required a bit of extra work with the addition of Apex trigger parts and a Talon grip.  The Talon grip made a significant difference as it made it so the gun stopped squirreling in my hand upon recoil.  

In a thin kydex holster the Shield or PPS is a very easy gun to conceal.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

except, I prefer G27  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

except, I prefer G27  

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Full size 1911 shoved inside waistband sans holster at appendix carry position FTW.

9 rounds of .45acp in an accurate platform, perfectly concealed. No need to try and re-invent the wheel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really don't know what the big attraction is to the Shield. For me, the Glock's length and especially its height advantage, outweigh the Shield's thickness advantage. Shit, I would choose the Glock, even if they had the same capacity, but the Glock holds even more ammo!

Bottom line for me: the G26 holds more ammo and is more concealable. Not even a contest. Get the Glock.
View Quote

agreed.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Semi autos don't belong in pockets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My PM9 seems to like it just fine
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Totally unfair comparison. To compare one of the finest handguns in the world to the SW is like comparing a Bugati to a potato.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Full size 1911 shoved inside waistband sans holster at appendix carry position FTW.

9 rounds of .45acp in an accurate platform, perfectly concealed. No need to try and re-invent the wheel.
View Quote

Do you run or wrestle with a 1911 carried that way? Just wondering.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife owns a Shield 9MM and it has been a great little pistol.

The trigger is good, with a decent break point and positive reset.  However, I do prefer my Glock 19 trigger to that of the Shield.  The Shield does have a slightly heavier trigger I believe than the Glock (maybe a lb or 2 lbs).   The pistol grip is very slick stock and definitely will require some stippling at some point for her, because she does find herself having to readjust her grip due to the slickness of it when her hands sweat. The slide is very difficult to rack at first due to the dual capture recoil spring and I don't like the disassembly with the little trigger bar.  The eight round magazine sleeve slips loose all the time and can make it difficult to seat the mag.  I don't feel that either the Glock or the Shield have aggressive enough slide serrations stock.  

Where the Shield has shined has been in reliability.  Although she has a few failures to extract with steel cased 9mm Tula for the most part it has been highly reliable. However, I do have to give my Glock 19 with APEX extractor the edge in reliability as it has only ever failed once in over 1000 rounds.  The thing that my wife likes most though about the Shield is the point of aim and the width of the grip for her small hands.  The Glock does have a more aggressive lower bore axis and my wife just prefers the higher bore axis of the Shield. The number one thing she likes about it though is the grip size, because she just found my 19's double stack thicker grip too much for her hands.  

The Shield has performed well. It's accurate. It has surprising little recoil for such a short pistol in part I believe to its dual capture recoil spring assembly (even though that comes with the draw back of a harder to rack slide).  I'd say it's a great little pistol for those who just aren't happy with the Glock 19's thickness or ergonomics.

The above said, I'm holding out for the single stack Glock 9mm version of the 42 before I go single stack.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Isn't the thickness difference between the G26 and the Shield something like 3.5mm?  Are all y'all so short and anorexic that a grain of rice difference makes such an impact on concealment?

Seems like holster selection would make more of an impact on concealment.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Had a Kahr PM9, was fooled by the chanting of the benefits of the Shield. Since I have an M&P45C that I love I got a Shield and sold the Kahr. Carrying a PM9.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My wife owns a Shield 9MM and it has been a great little pistol.

The trigger is good, with a decent break point and positive reset.  However, I do prefer my Glock 19 trigger to that of the Shield.  The Shield does have a slightly heavier trigger I believe than the Glock (maybe a lb or 2 lbs).   The pistol grip is very slick stock and definitely will require some stippling at some point for her, because she does find herself having to readjust her grip due to the slickness of it when her hands sweat. The slide is very difficult to rack at first due to the dual capture recoil spring and I don't like the disassembly with the little trigger bar.  The eight round magazine sleeve slips loose all the time and can make it difficult to seat the mag.  I don't feel that either the Glock or the Shield have aggressive enough slide serrations stock.  

Where the Shield has shined has been in reliability.  Although she has a few failures to extract with steel cased 9mm Tula for the most part it has been highly reliable. However, I do have to give my Glock 19 with APEX extract the edge in reliability as it has only ever failed once in over 1000 rounds.  The thing that my wife likes most though about the Shield is the point of aim and the width of the grip for her small hands.  The Glock does have a more aggressive lower bore axis and my wife just prefers the higher bore axis of the Shield. The number one thing she likes about it though is the grip size, because she just found my 19's double stack thicker grip to much for her hands.  

The Shield has performed well. It's accurate. It has surprising little recoil for such a short pistol in part I believe to its dual capture recoil spring assembly (even though that comes with the draw back of a harder to rack slide).  I'd say it's a great little pistol for those who just aren't happy with the Glock 19's thickness or ergonomics.

The above said, I'm holding out of the single stack Glock 9mm version of the 42 before I go single stack.
View Quote

Check out a Talon grip for the Shield.  It adds very little thickness but the difference in grip is striking.  The gun no longer squirrels in my hand as I shoot it.

http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith-and-wesson/shield.html
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

The hell with that belt anchor..  Shield with 9 accurate rounds of 9mm comfortably placed IWB.

G19 with 16 rounds of 9mm if you want to trade comfort for capacity.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Never understood why Glock even made the G26.  It is like a worthless chambering of the .40 between a .45 and 9mm.

Carry a G19 or actually go smaller with the Shield.
View Quote

Because AWB.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep I appendix carry the shield.  The glock would create a huge bump. I'm a small guy so I need the shield thinness.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really don't know what the big attraction is to the Shield. For me, the Glock's length and especially its height advantage, outweigh the Shield's thickness advantage. Shit, I would choose the Glock, even if they had the same capacity, but the Glock holds even more ammo!

Bottom line for me: the G26 holds more ammo and is more concealable. Not even a contest. Get the Glock.
View Quote

Do you own and shoot both? I do and I say you're wrong. The shield is much more concealable  and a better shooter.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#24]
A better comparison would be the G26vs M&P 9C

In which case, the 9C is the better choice. As is the shield over the G42
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I own 6 glocks and a Shield.  You have to be smoking crack to say the Glock conceals better than the Shield.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kahrleg

Assuming it actually functions
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#27]
S&W 3913 > Shield
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
S&W 3913 > Shield
View Quote

?

3913 is a fine gun but it is not in the same category size wise as the Shield.

Hell, I shoot my G34 better than my Shield but isn't that to be expected to some degree?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

?

Hell, I shoot my G34 better than my Shield but isn't that to be expected to some degree?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W 3913 > Shield

?

Lies

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The hell with that belt anchor..  Shield with 9 accurate rounds of 9mm comfortably placed IWB.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Belt anchor?? I don't have a muffin top or distended abdomen working to push my pants off. It's super easy.

By accuracy I'm not talking center mass at 7yds. I'm talking headshots at 50yds.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#31]
1000%

I made the right choice a few months ago.

I know a few other family members who chose .... unwisely.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W 3913 > Shield

?

Lies

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/742/dscn2968l.jpg

You got an ambi safety on that 3913?

Much thickness.  Would not conceal.

I seem to recall the 3913, Sig 239 and G19 being very similar in size.  

Anyhoo enjoy your 3913.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#33]
the shield as a pocket gun?

even in shoot-me-first cargo pants, no way.

It's the SAME SIZE as the compact, just thinner.

how is that a pocket gun?

Cause you can get it to fit?

Then the shield is as much a pocket gun as a 6" Smith 44 magnum.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Anyhoo enjoy your 3913.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W 3913 > Shield

?

Lies

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/742/dscn2968l.jpg

Anyhoo enjoy your 3913.

Mine yes.  But not all do.  The safeties are in one spot. Not the entire width.   You can also get the 3954 with no safeties/ decocker.

I also own the G19 it's not the same size not even close.   Much smaller than the fatass 239 also

I will enjoy it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

By accuracy I'm not talking center mass at 7yds. I'm talking headshots at 50yds.
View Quote

Oh, I see.  You're that guy.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I would have LOVED a 3913 with a polymer lower... the hammer/trigger ombo was workable, unlike the shield's.

a gun that REQUIRES a trigger kit to use.  ugh
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would have LOVED a 3913 with a polymer lower... the hammer/trigger ombo was workable, unlike the shield's.

View Quote

The Apex kit helps no doubt.

The stock trigger on the Shield is clearly better than a stock M&P, at least all the ones I have handled so far.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Am im I the only person who shoots the 26 better than the shield?
View Quote

I shoot Glocks including the 26 better than the Shield
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

watchoutwehaveabadassoverhere.jpg
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#40]

I went glock since I couldn't stand the hinge.

so you have to add an apex kit (the pricey one!) to every m&p you get.

also why I didn't get the SD.

if sw had put in standard triggers, I'd have at least three 9's, a shield 9,  and few SD's as well.

Instead , we have a 19 for her, and a 26 for me.

Quoted:

The stock trigger on the Shield is clearly better than a stock M&P, at least all the ones I have handled so far.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you own and shoot both? I do and I say you're wrong. The shield is much more concealable  and a better shooter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why... it's almost as if he's trying to say that some people shoot some guns better than others.  No way that can be the case.

A Glock AND .40S&W fanboy... shouldn't expect any better I suppose.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I pocket carried my 26 daily for close to 2 years , because IWB didn't work for me for concealing at work.

I now pocket carry my 42, and the 26 is back to IWB, where it belongs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pocket carried my 26 daily for close to 2 years , because IWB didn't work for me for concealing at work.

I now pocket carry my 42, and the 26 is back to IWB, where it belongs.

LOL, I did that with my G27 for about the same time.  Despite many nancy boys stating that it was not a pocket gun...

I just bought my wife a M&P Shield 9mm (she hasn't gotten a chance to shoot it yet).  The slide was very stiff at first.  I had some bad ammo and it had several failures to fire.  But I switched ammo and it has not malfunctioned further.  We shot 250 rounds through it and the slide has loosened up.  I like the size but will stick with my G19.  I am considering picking up one for a pocket gun.  It does disappear in the pocket.   When looking at the G26 and the 9mm Shield in the store I believe I saw that there is only a two round difference.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Mark D:
Isn't the thickness difference between the G26 and the Shield something like 3.5mm?  Are all y'all so short and anorexic that a grain of rice difference makes such an impact on concealment?

View Quote

As a female shooter with small hands (which is why I prefer the baby glocks), and the need to wear form fitting clothes without printing like no tomorrow, yes, the shield has its advantages when it comes to its size.

that said.  I shoot the 27 much better than the shield despite the snappier recoil.  in the summer, I carry the shield.  in the winter, I rock the Glock.

as far as holsters go, safariland for the glock, and crossbreed supertuck for the shield...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why... it's almost as if he's trying to say that some people shoot some guns better than others.  No way that can be the case.

A Glock AND .40S&W fanboy GIRL... shouldn't expect any better I suppose.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Glock AND .40S&W fanboy GIRL... shouldn't expect any better I suppose.

FIFY

both have their advantages, but to say that the shield shoots better than a glock is just plain blasphemy.  I shoot and carry both (alternating) and can attest to this based on personal experience.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I sold my 27 and switched to the Shield. It seems to be more accurate than the G19 I usually carry.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Mark D:

View Quote

It doesn't sound like a lot. But it is.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The apex trigger just allows you to see past the terrible trigger pull and see how poor the rest of the mechanism really is
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

watchoutwehaveabadassoverhere].jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Although true, we're not talking about that.

It is well known fact the 1911 platform carries a higher standard of accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It is well known fact the 1911 platform hcarries a higher standard of accuracy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is well known fact the 1911 platform hcarries a higher standard of accuracy.

[bs1]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top