User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our retirees never darken our door unless they have some specific reason to come in, such as changes to pistol permits etc.
Ww just did our first 218 quals last year and there were some retirees who showed up who were gone before I started 30 years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do understand the argument against making the job your identity. Lots of people on this side do the same thing. We’ve got retirees who spend nearly as much time sitting around the station drinking coffee and telling the same old war stories as they do at home. When I’m out, I’m out and leaving the state.
Our retirees never darken our door unless they have some specific reason to come in, such as changes to pistol permits etc.
Ww just did our first 218 quals last year and there were some retirees who showed up who were gone before I started 30 years ago.
The one thing I never expected is the guys still on the job darken MY door. All of them want to know what retirement is like.

We have a monthly retiree lunch even.  A goodly number of the guys that show up are those that have their hand on the cord but have not pulled the plug yet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I was on a major eastern city police force for twenty years.  11/71 to 11/91.  for the first ten years I enjoyed my work and my co-workers.  Then affirmative action landed on us in a very big and heavy way.  The job and working conditions went downhill really quickly.  The hiring of substandard people and heavy handed new supervision really shackled the street officer, of which I was one.  The last five years were not gratifying so I left the dept on twenty years.  Been retired since November of 91 and couldn't be happier and doing ok.  Life after retirement is good if one will only let it be.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 3:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think every officer on the street should start out in Corrections. It would weed out some of the special snowflakes in uniform that we always complain about
View Quote
Los Angeles County Sheriffs deputies start out in the jails. 2-3 years sometimes before they can get a field spot and then the training starts all over. At least when they get out they know what a real bad guy looks like.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 3:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For us you can retire at 50% at 20 years or stay for 30 years to cap at 75% but you don’t get a dime more for a day past 30. Working till 30 would put me at 59 and I don’t want to do this stuff at that age unless they give me a white helmet and a desk before then so I’m out at 25.

I do understand the argument against making the job your identity. Lots of people on this side do the same thing. We’ve got retirees who spend nearly as much time sitting around the station drinking coffee and telling the same old war stories as they do at home. When I’m out, I’m out and leaving the state.
View Quote
FD guy here too. 30 at age 55 is the goal but man did it cost me. Like has been said earlier, the department got me in my prime. Now I get regular back epidurals, had 2 knee surgeries and one replacement. Rotator and SLAP tears in the shoulders and other daily aches and pains. There is still 1 guy left from my class of 7-3-1981 and I can't figure him out. Another couple from the class right after mine still working. Granted they are all chiefs so they arent getting all chewed up like I was as a lowly captain but I had plenty to do when I left the job at 56.5 years old. It was a little tough because at that time I had spent 6 years over half my life as a fireman. I didn't feel like I would have any value to society when I retired. I think there are a lot of people that won't admit to having those kinds of feelings but I got over it fairly quickly and decided I didn't give a flying fuck. I was happy to be out. Especially after seeing the guys getting their asses kicked at all the fires in California this year.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I started out in California in 79-80.
But, as a local, the S.O. Would not hire you unless you were connected politically, family wise, meaning ranchers, etc.
Also, I wasn't the right color.

So I moved to Nevada in 85 and took a job as a resident deputy in a remote area.
Loved the job, the area, the ranchers, the whole thing.
There were bad things, sure, but it was great.

Moved on to bigger agency, and I ended up a supervisor after only 4 years on the job.
Headaches with personnel, city council, local "you don't know who I am" types, you all know what I am talking about.
Ended up going to another agency to avoid that issue and liked the job again, in a remote area.
Stayed there for 5 years, then was offered the Chiefs job in the previous city.
Good experience, taught me a lot, but no family time, lots of bad cases, homicides, drug cases, corrupt public officials, etc.

Result of that I moved where I am now, and did another 20 years, patrol, supervisor, Interim Chief, then back to Senior Patrol Sergeant.
Started to dislike even putting on the uniform after 32 years total, hated the public, but liked the folks I worked with.
My wife, same one for 36 years told me to retire, so I did, June 2016.

Now, I run heavy equipment in the winter and ride fenceline for some ranchers in the summer one day a week.

Do I miss it?
No, I do not.
What I don't miss is the domestics, the entitled citizenry, the crappy 12 hour shifts, the lack of respect, even when I treat people with respect.
The above along with prosecutors who will not do their job but criticize you when you don't do yours.

Do I look over my shoulder all the time, carry a weapon all the time, sit with my back to the wall in public and still hate crowds?
Yeah, probably for the rest of my life.

What I do miss?
The guys I worked with.

I can only give advice to those that are going to retire.
Find something to do when you are done.
Get a part time job, not related to LE.
Get a hobby, or two, but don't just sit on your backside and do nothing.
Oh, stay away from politics-
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m officially done this week. Done with the urban evil. Done with the long hours, working weekends, etc.

I’m giving up the authority of being the police, but I’m going to be doing security in a very rural school district.
I’m going to love my summers off!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quit working LE to go work security?  Why retire to work an even more miserable lower-paying job?
View Quote
Because money isn't always the main factor. A change of scenery can make all the difference. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

30 years?  Ouch.
View Quote
I will have 33 years in when I am eligible.  If I want my full potential from my pension I will have to do another 2 on top.  Still should be good though.  46% of my high three estimated to be around 140k per year.  I can go with minimum retirement age in 8 years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I will have 33 years in when I am eligible.  If I want my full potential from my pension I will have to do another 2 on top.  Still should be good though.  46% of my high three estimated to be around 140k per year.  I can go with minimum retirement age in 8 years.
View Quote
I want sexual congress with the gun in your avatar.

Can that be arranged?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I got hired in 1988.  1995, I got rear-ended, broke my back.

2003, it dawned on me the scumbags were getting younger, I wasn’t.

I retired from all my jobs, and spent 2003-2006 trying to get my wife better, she had cancer.

2006, she died.  I was working surveillance for a company that decided to fire me two months later.  Nice.

Met someone new, now I take care of rescue dogs, and work on a couple hobbies.  I miss the job, not the asshats I worked for.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top