Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I am going to go out on a limb and say "the rest of the story" is the apartment has been telling/notifying people for at least 30 days, but eventually the time comes when the work needs to be done. So they call the ignorant tenants, who now claim they had "ten minutes notice".
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Call your apartment management and have them let her and mom into your place?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:05:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Where the fuck are the pics???

It's the new thing now, no one follows the rules.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I am going to go out on a limb and say "the rest of the story" is the apartment has been telling/notifying people for at least 30 days, but eventually the time comes when the work needs to be done. So they call the ignorant tenants, who now claim they had "ten minutes notice".

^This is where I'd place my bet.    

Or, the GF just wants an excuse to need to move in with you.  

If the 10 minute notice is really true, some possible alternate scenarios:   They discovered a gas leak in one of the apartments and need to do major repairs - they don't want anyone nearby while they do this.   There is some kind of law enforcement probe going on and they need to vacate some of the units so they can bug them.          

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If this were my GF telling me this story while I was out of town I would have to assume she is leaving out some important detail or has misunderstood the management's instructions somehow.

But maybe that's just me and mine...

Nope- you're not alone. Mine is a Sr supervisor at JP Morgan and yet im pretty sure she's mildly retarded. All book smarts and no common sense. 100% of the time I assume she is wrong, and plan accordingly. 90% that pans out for me pretty well.

OP- Tell her to get a hotel, stick em with the bill later, or continue on living in her place. Apart from a violent tenant revolt, those ate pretty much her options.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell her to be sure and setup the hidden cam so she can catch the maintenance guy pawing through her underwear drawer.  She should probably take her dirty laundry as well - there are some strange guys out there
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So my girlfriend and her mom were minding their own business when their management company called 10 minutes ahead of time and told them they had to move out for the entire weekend due to repairs to first floor.

My girlfriend had no where else to stay and told management that, and management told her they would provide her a room for the duration. Well, she went back in the evening to get the keys for the temporary unit, but management had already left.

Prior to this, my girlfriend told them that she would be busy till evening and would not be able to pick up the keys till later. Management told her that was fine, and the guy said just to call and gave her his cell to get in touch.

Now he is not responding to calls nor texts.

What's her options. I would let her stay at my place but I am out of town and she doesn't have keys to my apartment.

She should go back and stay at her place.  They cannot demand that she leave with no notice.  Tell them she'll be happy to schedule a time for these repairs, where she has plenty of notice and they have alternate arrangements set up ahead of time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics

Of both GF and her mom.... Depending on GF's age and moms age... This is vital to any answers.

Sisters, cousins, coworkers, besties... we need all of the information, not just some of it in dribs and drabs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#9]
-Update-

Pic wise, I've posted pics of her before hand in an earlier topic early this year.

Now that out of the way. I got her to tell me more about why she was kicked out, and this is the gist of it.

She and 2 other units were told to move out due to massive flooding that broke out yesterday. in the unit below hers. She checks her mail, email, texts, voicemails religiously, so the prop. managers did not give her a 30 day notice, especially considering the problem didn't arise till 24 hours ago.

She went ahead and booked a hotel last night and managed to get in contact with the property manager this morning, with me listening in on 3 way. According to him, he waited till 6 and never got the calls.

She remained very calm and professional, explaining how she attempted to get in contact with him multiple times and she understands that sometimes things don't work out according to plan. She went on to explain how she felt it was unfair, sudden, and she was slighted at how she had been treated but was more than willing to work with them to solve the issues.

The property manager lost it. He told her to go pound sand and that she was giving him attitude and all this was not his issue, not his problem, etc. He was legitimately full blown yelling at her, then hung up.

I told her to file a complaint with the tenant's association as well possibly lawyering up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
-Update-

Pic wise, I've posted pics of her before hand in an earlier topic early this year.

Now that out of the way. I got her to tell me more about why she was kicked out, and this is the gist of it.

She and 2 other units were told to move out due to massive flooding that broke out yesterday. in the unit below hers. She checks her mail, email, texts, voicemails religiously, so the prop. managers did not give her a 30 day notice, especially considering the problem didn't arise till 24 hours ago.

She went ahead and booked a hotel last night and managed to get in contact with the property manager this morning, with me listening in on 3 way. According to him, he waited till 6 and never got the calls.

She remained very calm and professional, explaining how she attempted to get in contact with him multiple times and she understands that sometimes things don't work out according to plan. She went on to explain how she felt it was unfair, sudden, and she was slighted at how she had been treated but was more than willing to work with them to solve the issues.

The property manager lost it. He told her to go pound sand and that she was giving him attitude and all this was not his issue, not his problem, etc. He was legitimately full blown yelling at her, then hung up.

I told her to file a complaint with the tenant's association as well possibly lawyering up.

You listened in on her having a 3-way???

Man, the situation is worse than I thought!

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

She and mom can stay at my place.

They get a place to stay and I get to check something off the ole bucket list.  

One time I saw three generations together in one place - Grannie, Mommie, and Sluttie - and all do-able.  I had ideas.  Nudge nudge wink wink.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

-Update-

<snip>

I'm not sure what you are going to "complain" about.

The flooding was unforseen and an emergency event.  They didn't know about it in advance.  They seem to have taken "reasonable and timely" action to inform affected residents that an issue existed.  They acted to advise their tenants that the place was not is condition for continued habitation.  The management office probably has posted hours of operation.

Have her read her lease for their obligations - but I'm betting they did more than they are obligated to - both by lease and by law.  I seriously doubt they are obligated to find or fund alternative places to stay.  More likely the day(s) the place is not habitable comes off the rent.

He probably lost it because she delayed contacting them until after the office was closed - then called to complain.

Hope she has thousands of dollars for a lawyer.  What exactly is she going to sue for?  One night hotel costs?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

^This is where I'd place my bet.    

Or, the GF just wants an excuse to need to move in with you.  

If the 10 minute notice is really true, some possible alternate scenarios:   They discovered a gas leak in one of the apartments and need to do major repairs - they don't want anyone nearby while they do this.   There is some kind of law enforcement probe going on and they need to vacate some of the units so they can bug them.          

They may be quietly attempting to deal with a bed bug outbreak as well.  If I was an apartment manager, I'd shit my pants if bed bugs were discovered and try to keep it quiet.  Nothing spells eternal vacancy like a bed bug outbreak becoming public.

A friend is an apartment manager and he had to deal with this very scenario.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#14]
internet has entered the twilight zone.  Worthless Time Warner modem.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This or possibly something that has made the building a danger zone such as a gas leak etc. (not likely).  

OP, if this is indeed as you say, make sure and document who she talked to, times, names etc.  Then save her hotel receipt and make sure you get a hot tub suite and live it up this weekend!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This or possibly something that has made the building a danger zone such as a gas leak etc. (not likely).  

OP, if this is indeed as you say, make sure and document who she talked to, times, names etc.  Then save her hotel receipt and make sure you get a hot tub suite and live it up this weekend!  

I'd skip the hot tub suite.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

-Update-

Oh, OK.  Well, just post them back up in this thread and we'll talk.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
10 minutes notice to be homeless for the weekend? Pretty sure the correct response there should have been fuck you!

Yeah , there's gotta be a 48 hr rule or something
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Why would units above the ones affected by flooding have to move out?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Why would units above the ones affected by flooding have to move out?

They may have to shut off water to units above to stop the leak below.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Tell her to go to a hotel, keep the bill, and make the management company deduct it from her rent. Don't take any bullshit. Have an attorney's business card handy in case they start to get mouthy. I've dealt with shit like this before, and they always shut the fuck up and cooperate when the threat of an attorney is brought up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm still lost how doing work on the floor below them require them to vacate

for that matter, I'm not even sure work in their own unit should require them to vacate

have her look for an attorney that specializes in tenate/landlord matters and will give a free consultation
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I am sure laws vary from state to state, but here they do not have to give prior notice in the event of an emergency such as a flood.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So my girlfriend and her mom were minding their own business when their management company called 10 minutes ahead of time and told them they had to move out for the entire weekend due to repairs to first floor.

My girlfriend had no where else to stay and told management that, and management told her they would provide her a room for the duration. Well, she went back in the evening to get the keys for the temporary unit, but management had already left.

Prior to this, my girlfriend told them that she would be busy till evening and would not be able to pick up the keys till later. Management told her that was fine, and the guy said just to call and gave her his cell to get in touch.

What's her options. I would let her stay at my place but I am out of town and she doesn't have keys to my apartment.

I'm going to guess that there are some important details that are missing from this story.

+1

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#25]
This is alot of fucking bullshit drama over a 2 day hotel stay. Really? You listened in on 3 way? Who gives a fuck, tell her to be an adult and get a hotel room and move on.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I see this woman figuring prominently in your girlfriend's future:

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

for that matter, I'm not even sure work in their own unit should require them to vacate

have her look for an attorney that specializes in tenate/landlord matters and will give a free consultation

the leak could be coming from her walls and running down or be under her floor...

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This isn't hard.

They need to go home and act like nothing happened.

When/if they can't do any work because they are home, I bet management answers his phone then.

I would, at that point demand a room at s nice hotel.

Yep.  Make it their problem.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Find the lease, read it thoroughly, act accordingly.

Tell her to buy a $20 tent at WalMart and then pitch it on the front lawn.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry, I've dealt with all kinds of floods in apartments over the 22 years that I've been in the property management business and I've never had to tell a resident above a flooded unit they had to un-ass the AO over the weekend.  Water heaters bursting, main water lines busting, sewage back ups;  all are containable.  There should be no reason they need to leave for the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

the leak could be coming from her walls and running down or be under her floor...

so do the work while she's there and just have her stay out of the room where they're working
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tell her to go to a hotel, keep the bill, and make the management company deduct it from her rent. Don't take any bullshit. Have an attorney's business card handy in case they start to get mouthy. I've dealt with shit like this before, and they always shut the fuck up and cooperate when the threat of an attorney is brought up.

THIS!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!!!

Bad advice.  Some states will allow a tenant to deduct from their rent.  Texas is not one of them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Hmm...if I were her I'd deduct the cost of the hotel room from the next months rent.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  Just because the last people to enjoy it were named Steve and Bill and the maid thoroughly cleaned it with the toilet brush???

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to guess that there are some important details that are missing from this story.

My guess is that wasn't the management company, but some thieves who hope to execute an overnight break in and load up.

I should have considered there might be an update, well +1 for me anyway.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  Just because the last people to enjoy it were named Steve and Bill and the maid thoroughly cleaned it with the toilet brush???

Oh heavens, NO!  Because the tub is generally too small for comfortable sex.

j/k  I don't need to soak in an unknown number of dudes rotting drain babies.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top