Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a novelty song written about this very subject that calls GRRM "The Bearded Glacier".
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
He's waiting for Benioff and Weis to write it.  They'd do a better job, anyway, based on the crap-fest that was A Dance with Dragons.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
son of a BITCH
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not surprised.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#5]
My guess: the show will end in 2018 with a story ending directed by GRRM, then in 2020 GRRM will finally release the last book and the ending will be totally different from the show's ending.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess that means more work for Brandon Sanderson again in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considering how poor books 4 and 5 are compared to the first 3 it is kind of difficult to feel all that disappointed.  While it will be nice to find out how everything turns out, I suspect that it will be more dull, un-inspired crap like the last 2.  Especially since he is even more distracted by the HBO series, and not just by the Jets, food, and hating george bush.
View Quote

Agreed. I liked the first three, but then RR seemed to loose steam. I read half of Dances With Dragons, then shelved it because NOTHING WAS HAPPENING.
GoT has become like Jordan's Wheel of Time series; too big, too complex. The characters are scattered to the winds and not making any progress.

ckmorley
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Btw anyone waiting for rothfuss and doors of stone...dont, no 2015 for it either.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If George would just retire out and let Brandon Sanderson finish the series we'd all be much better off.
View Quote

I wonder how many people get that joke :-)

I read Sanderson's first Mistborn novel, but lost intrest in the second which was a story about self-appointed Wise Women trying to teach the new king to be a wise ruler. Aes Sedai anyone?
No wonder they picked Sanderson to finish WoT after Jordan passed away.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#10]
You know he was quoted once as saying that every time someone asks him when the next book is coming out he's going to kill another Starke.  That's gonna get hard to do unless they find a lot of new bastards somewhere or start in on the Carstarks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Agreed. I liked the first three, but then RR seemed to loose steam. I read half of Dances With Dragons, then shelved it because NOTHING WAS HAPPENING.
GoT has become like Jordan's Wheel of Time series; too big, too complex. The characters are scattered to the winds and not making any progress.

ckmorley
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering how poor books 4 and 5 are compared to the first 3 it is kind of difficult to feel all that disappointed.  While it will be nice to find out how everything turns out, I suspect that it will be more dull, un-inspired crap like the last 2.  Especially since he is even more distracted by the HBO series, and not just by the Jets, food, and hating george bush.

ckmorley

You sir have been spoiled by Hollywood.

Big stories mean multiple arcs and not everyone is swinging swords and killing dragons every page. I like the little nuances in the books and the personal quirks and traits.

But I disagree that RR doesn't owe the readers. He does. People have bought his books in droves and to stimply stop and say it is all about him is as simple as spitting  in the face of his fans.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad I never started reading that bloated series.  I learned my lesson after the first five books of the Wheel of Time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Glad I never started reading that bloated series.  I learned my lesson after the first five books of the Wheel of Time.
View Quote

Sanderson did a really good job of wrapping that mess up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#14]
The fat little sea captain will never finish the story. He wrote himself into a corner and has no idea what to do. The TV people will finish it long before fatso does.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

No kidding.

He's pretty obviously just milking the success of his books/TV show at this point.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Big stories mean multiple arcs and not everyone is swinging swords and killing dragons every page. I like the little nuances in the books and the personal quirks and traits.

But I disagree that RR doesn't owe the readers. He does. People have bought his books in droves and to stimply stop and say it is all about him is as simple as spitting  in the face of his fans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ckmorley

I've never read another series that stagnated or gotten as lost as this one has.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I forced my self to watch the whole thing.

Dont see what all the hubbub was about. With the exception of a few moments, it was quite boring.

I don't see myself sitting down and reading it...

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dont see what all the hubbub was about. With the exception of a few moments, it was quite boring.

View Quote

It really depends on what type of shows you like to watch.

True, it doesn't have that much action and battles like, say, Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers, have.

But for myself, I find the backroom plotting and maneuvering, along with the bad guys winning for once, a fresh change of pace from "Good guys win and drink beer at the end of the day."
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've never read another series that stagnated or gotten as lost as this one has.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ckmorley

A lot of works involve a small cast of characters put together in a group and thus sharing the story arc. Many times they are depecited as the center of the worlds goings-on which annoys me to no end. GoT pulls multiple people from all over the world with individual plots weaving in and out of the main story and some times segwaying into side plots and stories. Its good, and I wish more authors did it. But if he can't or won't finish a story or makes the story more about himself then his fans then he is basically George Lucas and those SW Prequels.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll never know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But for myself, I find the backroom plotting and maneuvering, along with the bad guys winning for once, a fresh change of pace from "Good guys win and drink beer at the end of the day."
View Quote

Why the FUCK would I want to immerse myself in a fiction series where the bad guys win?  If I want to see that shit, I'll turn on the fucking news.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll never know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll never know.

I don't blame you. The whole series could've been written in 6 books, but Jordan started to wander around like he was suffering from dementia.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

that's because the show gives you MAYBE 10% of the story....because it has to be compressed into the time available.  The first season was IIRC 10 Episodes...10 hours, to tell a story that took 8-900 pages of print to tell.  I have a friend who is addicted to the show..watches every episode, but wont read the books...so she's constantly asming me about subplots and other stuff that isnt mentioned in the show, but is clear in the books.  I got lucky I think I paid $30 for a bundle of the first 4 books for my Nook, after about the second episode, and while they did a decent job with the show, i wasnt surprised at how much had to be left out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ckmorley
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ckmorley

yeah I'm done with any series over 3 books.

I will make exceptions for the characters to continue on to other endeavors but I'm done reading 10 book long story arcs
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why the FUCK would I want to immerse myself in a fiction series where the bad guys win?  If I want to see that shit, I'll turn on the fucking news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you haven't read it, won't read it, but you will shit in a thread about it

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Every time I go into a book shop and see ANOTHER new collection of poems or short stories or screen plays or science fiction concepts or collaborations with other writers or original novels written under a pen name (but still advertised as "THE PEN NAME OF GEORGE R R FUCKING MARTIN!!!!" in gold letters printed on the cover) or Dunk and Egg, rather than a new entry in the Song of Ice and Fire series, I am going to kill a puppy.

He tells his fans to "fuck off" when they, mostly jokingly, express concern he may die before finishing the novels, yet his is 66 years old, overweight and it has taken him 24 years to get 5 books into a a 7 book series. Guy seems quite the douchebag.

I bet the ending is something shit anyway. Everything is put to rights, spring comes around again but one of the Starks growls "Winter is coming". You heard it here first.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I will make exceptions for the characters to continue on to other endeavors but I'm done reading 10 book long story arcs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ckmorley

Ringo has some long arcs that work well, so does Correia, Dave Weber, David Drake, i could go on ..but that is Sci Fi..maybe the genre lends itself to it better
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I've enjoyed the series so far, although book 4 was slow at times, I personally don't understand all the hate for book 5. As a fan of the books I do question whether or not George will live long enough to finish the series. Don't know of many overweight old people...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I've enjoyed the series so far, although book 4 was slow at times, I personally don't understand all the hate for book 5. As a fan of the books I do question whether or not George will live long enough to finish the series. Don't know of many overweight old people...
View Quote
Not liking books 4 and 5 is the hip thing to do

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't know what your all griping about, the ending is so obvious that Baelish wins the Iron throne.....

The whole story is that duplicity & cold bloodedness make you a winner & that is Littlefinger in a nutshell, the dragon chick is just there as a distraction.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their goes any chance of me reading your books, then!
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that comment wasn't addressed at the books but at the argument for enjoying a fictional tale because the bad guys win in it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh, sorry man.  I mean, I have no problem with major characters dying, but I can't stand authors that seem to delight in killing off beloved characters simply for shock value.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Heh, sorry man.  I mean, I have no problem with major characters dying, but I can't stand authors that seem to delight in killing off beloved characters simply for shock value.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No hard feelings.

I can understand where your coming from, though. The thing that made me cringe the most was a certain scene in book five involving Cersei's only daughter that seemed like Georgie boy had run out of Ideas and had started basically milking diablo ex machina. Plus, his staunch aversion to archetypes kinda annoys me. along with his over description of foods.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I quit reading them after the fourth book, going to wait and see if:

View Quote

book 5 is substantially better than 4.  not just because it has the more interesting characters--the pacing and story are much improved.

if you suffered through 4, you deserve 5.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oh the dragons ARE coming.

books 4 and 5 sucked.
View Quote

no reason why not, but i never imagined you as the fantasy-reading type.  otherwise, i would have had you pegged for a malazan book of the fallen fan.  come to think of it, there's a character in those books who reminds me of you a bit--karsa orlong, from 'house of chains' and later books.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I think I'll stop watching the show and will avoid reading the books until it's finished. The guy is 66, Obese, and takes a long ass time to write a book. And who's betting on the last one being short? The odds might be better than even, but not much I'd say.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#40]
To all the people that are actually surprised by this...

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

book 5 is substantially better than 4. not just because it has the more interesting characters--the pacing and story are much improved.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quit reading them after the fourth book, going to wait and see if:

book 5 is substantially better than 4. not just because it has the more interesting characters--the pacing and story are much improved.

Still isnt saying much though.....  it's been 3 1/2 years...I thin the reason HBO decided to split the current season in 2 was more to give him time to ge thte book dont than to do a better job of translating the novel to Film.. but come on.....in that period of time i can think of hald a dozen Authors who have churned out Better novels at a rate of one a year..mainly because (Especially in a series) they have the plot lines laid out...im wondering if Martin isnt just making it up as he goes.....  He really kind of kills off characters into a bit of a corner in book 5
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Is it me or does he actually seem to resent his fans and the mainstream popularity his work has found?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is it me or does he actually seem to resent his fans and the mainstream popularity his work has found?
View Quote

IDK

But the fucker needs to stop acting like a child with a temper tantrum every time someone just points something out to him.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

i'm not getting that from his comments, for the most part.  i get the feeling that he resents the "shut up and give me more entertainment" crowd--the same people who scream for him to write faster, and then often bash what he writes.

the overall vibe i get from him is "i write my way, to satisfy myself.  i'm no one's employee.  if you like how i do things, great.  if not, you are free to fuck right off."
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
i'm not getting that from his comments, for the most part.  i get the feeling that he resents the "shut up and give me more entertainment" crowd--the same people who scream for him to write faster, and then often bash what he writes.

the overall vibe i get from him is "i write my way, to satisfy myself.  i'm no one's employee.  if you like how i do things, great.  if not, you are free to fuck right off."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

There is a large chunk of the fandom(in any series)who will NEVER be happy with end product, no matter what.

My personal favorite are the ass clowns complaining about the new Stars Wars reboot.  Their argument is they don't want their childhood memories ruined if the reboot turns out to be shitty.   They could just skip the new movies,  let the rest of us enjoy them, and their childhood memories would be safe.  But no, they want them to never be made.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I agree.

There is a large chunk of the fandom(in any series)who will NEVER be happy with end product, no matter what.

My personal favorite are the ass clowns complaining about the new Stars Wars reboot.  Their argument is they don't want their childhood memories ruined if the reboot turns out to be shitty.   They could just skip the new movies,  let the rest of us enjoy them, and their childhood memories would be safe.  But no, they want them to never be made.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

You mean the hardcore OT fanboys?

The ones that throw a fit if you point out to them all the plotholes and bad acting in their precious trilogy, specifically if you call out the errors in their sacred idol, The Empire Strikes Back?

They won't be happy with ANYONE touching their precious.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top