BCM
User Panel

Page / 358
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm slowly coming to the end of Book 5.

Looking back at Steven King and his Dark Tower series.
Nearly every book could have been a Stand Alone in its own right.
Granted he stumbled in the middle, but So Far the series is about the best Fantasy Series I ever read.
It took him years and years to finish, but he did.

Hasn't somebody already compared the two series?  The King versus GRRM: Which took longer to complete?  The Gunslinger or Musical Thrones
View Quote

I found the part of it I read worse than SK's usual drivel.  A LOT worse.  If you like fantasy and don't mind a tinge of SciFi, I can recommend the Lost Swords series by Saberhagen.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I found the part of it I read worse than SK's usual drivel.  A LOT worse.  If you like fantasy and don't mind a tinge of SciFi, I can recommend the Lost Swords series by Saberhagen.

View Quote

This fit's the sci-fi/fantasy bill quite nicely.  https://www.goodreads.com/series/40494-apprentice-adept
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:I found the part of it I read worse than SK's usual drivel.  A LOT worse.  If you like fantasy and don't mind a tinge of SciFi, I can recommend the Lost Swords series by Saberhagen.
View Quote

In The Name Of The Emperor

Read them.

I preferred Fred's Berserker series.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 4:31:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
J. R. R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring came out in 1954, The Two Towers in1954, and The Return of the King in 1955.

Also what some people don't realize is each title was actually two books so that is six books total with a manuscript of 9,250 total pages.

Granted he spent some time before that working on it, but when you compare that to GRRM's progress it is simply incredible.
View Quote

Some writers have written a dozen or more books in the decade since the last ASOIAF release. The man couldn’t even finish Winds of Winter in the midst of a pandemic when all the nerd conventions were canceled and he couldn’t travel.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Has anybody read the book series The Witcher is based upon?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Any idea when Book 6 is coming out?

Why ASoIaF Has to End Differently than Game of Thrones

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yqSS0uqWGs

View Quote

Good video, but I think it's mistaken to assume that the Night King will be a thing in the books. He doesn't exist in the books yet, and I really doubt he will. I don't have a solid theory about what will happen with the Others and the North. I've only got some about what will happen 'next' when it comes to Daenerys and what she will end up doing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:15:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. Then book six will come out, and not before.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. Then book six will come out, and not before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that was Book Seven
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:47:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Game of Thrones might actually have some competition for "worst/most disappointing final season that shat all over the source material" and "worst/most disappointing series finale that shat all over the source materiel" in The Promised Neverland.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#15]
March 27, 2021

“Game of Thrones” author George R.R. Martin has signed a massive overall deal to develop more programming for both HBO and the HBO Max streaming service.

The deal, which spans five years and is said to be worth mid-eight figures, follows in the wake of no less than five projects set within Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” fantasy world in development at the network with one – “House of the Dragon” – greenlit to series and about to begin production.

Martin is also developing for HBO the series “Who Fears Death,” based on Nnedi Okorafor’s award-winning 2011 post-apocalyptic novel, and “Roadmarks” based on Roger Zelazny’s 1979 fantasy novel. He will executive produce both.

Outside of HBO, he’s developing “Wild Cards” as a series at Peacock, and the feature “Lost Lands” for Paul W.S. Anderson and Milla Jovovich.

Source: The Live Feed
View Quote

The Mountain who Doesn't Write must have some spare time on his hands.  Good for him to look for work to keep him busy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
March 27, 2021

The Mountain who Doesn't Write must have some spare time on his hands.  Good for him to look for work to keep him busy.
View Quote

Excellent name for him.

I came up with a theory, but it's most likely not true... that he is writing through to the end of the entire ASOIAF series to get it done, holding back TWoW so that he can make any tweaks he needs to. It would make sense with how complex the story has gotten... He's never worked that way before, but he's also never done a huge expansive series, either.

I'm not going to hold my breath.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Excellent name for him.

I came up with a theory, but it's most likely not true... that he is writing through to the end of the entire ASOIAF series to get it done, holding back TWoW so that he can make any tweaks he needs to. It would make sense with how complex the story has gotten... He's never worked that way before, but he's also never done a huge expansive series, either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
March 27, 2021

Excellent name for him.

I think someone asked him this question and he responded that he has not started on A Dream of Spring.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly, it's probably economics.  If HBO and other media people are offering him 50 million plus to do television stuff, it makes sense to do that now.  Much more lucrative than a book and TV/Movies are notoriously fickle.  That 50 million may not be there if he waits to finish the books.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm surprised that Hunter-Killer has chimed in on this news.

This thread is like his pleasure journal after all.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm surprised that Hunter-Killer has chimed in on this news.

This thread is like his pleasure journal after all.

View Quote

Na, I pretty just enjoy the memes.  If any of my threads were my pleasure journal, it'd be this one.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Sexy-Cosplay-and-Nerd-Girls/142-2359844/

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think someone asked him this question and he responded that he has not started on A Dream of Spring.  
View Quote

He's never been misleading before, now has he?  :P

Like I said, I'm not holding my breath. I'd be fine if he were 50 years old right now, but he's not. If he lives long enough, I bet he can get shit done, but at his age that's becoming a taller and taller order.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Honestly, it's probably economics.  If HBO and other media people are offering him 50 million plus to do television stuff, it makes sense to do that now.  Much more lucrative than a book and TV/Movies are notoriously fickle.  That 50 million may not be there if he waits to finish the books.
View Quote

I'd bet he could do as little as write up a few outlines for stories that exist within the potential storylines. He doesn't have to come up with a full novel-size story, but enough that good show writers can build off of the guidelines he lays down.

Some chronology, some character info with basic traits and histories... I bet he could (if he tried) knock out an outline and characters based on whatever peripheral storyline they're interested in in a couple days, if he doesn't already have notes on that kind of shit. I can imagine writing a story as huge and intricate as ASOIAF, he's probably got tons of notes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Like I said, I'm not holding my breath. I'd be fine if he were 50 years old right now, but he's not. If he lives long enough, I bet he can get shit done, but at his age that's becoming a taller and taller order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GRRM once said he was so confident he'd be finished with TWoW in less than a year that if he didn't fans were allowed to abduct him and lock him in a room until he finished.

IIRC, he said that about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#24]
When that dude dies and Frank Heberts this series, I’ma pop a squat on his grave.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When that dude dies and Frank Heberts this series, I’ma pop a squat on his grave.
View Quote

And then hire Brandon Sanderson to come in and finish the series.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:26:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:12:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When that dude dies and Frank Heberts this series, I'ma pop a squat on his grave.
View Quote
It'll be worse than Frank Herbert.  The main Dune story arc was finished by God Emperor.  The next couple were pretty much a new arc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#28]
If they were to have a Full-Frontal Three-Way with Arya, Dany and Melisandre, the show would be in production Right Now.

Maybe not the series, but definitely The Show.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Now we know what is keeping GRRM....

Game of Thrones Broadway Stage Play Spinoff in Development: Tourney at Harrenhal /Robert's Rebellion
Game of Thrones Broadway Stage Play Spinoff in Development: Tourney at Harrenhal /Robert's Rebellion
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Game of Thrones | Official Fan Trailer
Game of Thrones | Official Series Trailer (HBO)
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]
An apt analogy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like HBO will be starting a GOT marathon celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the show starting April 10th.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looks like HBO will be starting a GOT marathon celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the show starting April 10th.
View Quote

Ah dun wan et.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ain't got Cable or Satellite

On the other hand I have every episode on Blu-Ray  
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had bought the blu ray for each season up until S4 (which is where it became obvious to me where the show was heading).  About a month after the show ended and I didn't even want to look at the box sets I looked up how much I could sell them for.  About $1-2 each.

I didn't want to give them away because I didn't want to introduce another person to this misery. Plus I know a guy with a LOT of GoT merch and he told me no one he knew wanted any of it even for free.

I considered taking them to my range and using them for target practice, but the cleanup might be a bitch.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Try selling them on Amazon.

There are always some that's clueless.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:37:04 AM EDT
[#37]
HBO is trying to get fans hyped for the 10 year anniversary of GoT.

Their campaign is having... mixed results.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#38]
This covers the problems with HBO trying to turn GoT into a franchise.... among other things.

The top comment:

Attachment Attached File

The Ruined Legacy of Game of Thrones
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#39]
From a year ago.

They have a point: It looked Good.
No comments about the writing.

The Beauty Of Game of Thrones
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Swords was great.
Did you read "Empire of the East"  it's sort of a similar story.  I love that book.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:12:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I strongly suspect the person HBO put in charge of their laughably bad GoT hype campaign has no idea what they’re doing and/or never watched the show.

They had a “best of Jaime and Brienne” list and didn’t include arguably the best Jaime and Brienne scene in the entire series.

The writer of the episode voiced his displeasure.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It'll be worse than Frank Herbert.  The main Dune story arc was finished by God Emperor.  The next couple were pretty much a new arc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When that dude dies and Frank Heberts this series, I'ma pop a squat on his grave.

Yes, but I really enjoyed Heretics and Chapterhouse.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
From a year ago.

They have a point: It looked Good.
No comments about the writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJYq2exNAs
View Quote

Which makes what happened even more tragic.  It would be one thing if everything was average or worse, but with GoT pretty much everything from the acting, the sets, the costumes, the SFX, the music, etc was good or better. Most were great.  Everything except the writing.  And unfortunately for a drama series the writing is the meat in the hamburger.  No matter how good everything else is, it sucks without it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can sell individual items on Amazon like you can on ebay?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some things you can. Many things (all DVDs/Blu-rays I believe) can't be sold without distributer invoices.
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top