BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What exactly is wrong with talking with someone a police officer feels is suspicious?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, drunk dude got out of the car he was seen driving and got a DUI.

Cop had no reason to go talk to him except he "felt" it was "suspicious."  That said, the DUI guy is an idiot.

What would the cops have done if the guy had pulled into the motel then right back out and went the opposite way?  Is it still "legal" to pull them over for "avoiding a checkpoint?"

What exactly is wrong with talking with someone a police officer feels is suspicious?

Ya I have no problem with this. I don't agree with check points, but even if it wasn't there, and a cop saw a guy pull into a vacant business and get out, I'd ask questions too. Imagine if that guy decided to run a red light and kill a family or something.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#2]
roadblocks are BS
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=45624

You're comparing apples to dildo's dude......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably should have killed all those iraqis who turned around at our checkpoints. Suspicious as hell

Actually, while fairly far-reaching, no....the actual underlying idea behind it is comparable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Actually, while fairly far-reaching, no....the actual underlying idea behind it is comparable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably should have killed all those iraqis who turned around at our checkpoints. Suspicious as hell

No, no it isn't. The cop went to see if the guy was up to something, you are advocating being judge, jury and executioner (Not that I give two shits about the Iraqis, mind you) and they are not even closely related points.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Exactly what I think of your post.  But hey, since he was actually caught doing something illegal, right?
View Quote

Your reply simply does not make sense.

There was no violation of his rights.  It was a consensual encounter.  There is no "ends justify the means argument."  There were no "ends" to justify.

You said you were curious why it was suspicious to the officer.  Well only he knows that, but his suspicions were accurate.  

I'm sorry if my simple logic is too complicated for you bud.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, no it isn't. The cop went to see if the guy was up to something, you are advocating being judge, jury and executioner (Not that I give two shits about the Iraqis, mind you) and they are not even closely related points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pro-tip: I wasn't referring to the killing, that wasn't the idea, that was the execution of it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And that's fine......I just don't see it the same way.    /shrug

Course, I think checkpoints are a fuckin waste of time and stupid as fuck so anything people can do to avoid them I applaud.
View Quote

I don't agree with check points either. But its only because the officer followed up the subject who turned around at the check point and was later found to be drunk that this is even being discussed.

Let me ask you this:

If the subject had just turned around, driven off, and been stopped by the police officer due solely to avoiding the check point, and it turned out the subject wasn't DUI, just lost and trying to get somewhere...with the whole interaction being less than 5 minutes from start to finish, and ending with the subject driving away...would his rights have been violated?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain?
I'm not following...
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Once upon a time we only arrested people who actually committed a crime, like hurting others or breaking shit. Now it's turned into a politically charged excuse to generate revenue for the courts and their cronies in the insurance, legal and substance abuse industries and to curry favor with the MADD crowd.

I was once on board with DUI laws until they implied consent for blood alcohol. Now they want warrantless blood draws and take away your DL if you refuse to dance like a monkey alongside the road. Now in many places you can get a DUI without even putting the car in drive or even starting the damn thing!

Meanwhile we see nearly just as many vehicle deaths at the hands of sober idiots that are simply written off as "tragedies" with zero repercussions short of higher insurance premuims, maybe.

Fuck that. Fuck every DUI law ever written and every fool who supports them. If a cop can't make enough of a case against a driver who's been drinking from the myriad of traffic laws we have besides the DUI laws then he probably shouldn't have stopped the drunk to begin with.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pro-tip: I wasn't referring to the killing, that wasn't the idea, that was the execution of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck. I fail at threading. So... how about them bears?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There was no violation of his rights.  It was a consensual encounter.  There is no "ends justify the means argument."  There were no "ends" to justify.

You said you were curious why it was suspicious to the officer.  Well only he knows that, but his suspicions were accurate.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I think of your post.  But hey, since he was actually caught doing something illegal, right?

And if his suspicions had been wrong, would you be on here praising his work?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please explain?
I'm not following...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain?
I'm not following...

Just because someone turns around at a checkpoint, doesn't mean they're guilty nor does it mean they should be questioned.  The act of turning around in of itself is not suspicious unless that PERSON viewing it makes it suspicious in their own mind.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't agree with check points either. But its only because the officer followed up the subject who turned around at the check point and was later found to be drunk that this is even being discussed.

Let me ask you this:

If the subject had just turned around, driven off, and been stopped by the police officer due solely to avoiding the check point, and it turned out the subject wasn't DUI, just lost and trying to get somewhere...with the whole interaction being less than 5 minutes from start to finish, and ending with the subject driving away...would his rights have been violated?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Course, I think checkpoints are a fuckin waste of time and stupid as fuck so anything people can do to avoid them I applaud.

Let me ask you this:

Whoa chief, no one is saying the guy's rights were violated, so your question is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Whoa chief, no one is saying the guy's rights were violated, so your question is irrelevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask you this:

My apologies. I did assume that is where you were heading with this.
Serious apology.....I realize internet discussions leave alot of room for error in terms of translation & understanding.

In rephrasing......If the subject had just turned around, driven off, and been stopped by the police officer due solely to avoiding the check point, and it turned out the subject wasn't DUI, just lost and trying to get somewhere...with the whole interaction being less than 5 minutes from start to finish, and ending with the subject driving away...would you have had a problem with the officer's actions and if so,  why?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Once upon a time we only arrested people who actually committed a crime, like hurting others or breaking shit. Now it's turned into a politically charged excuse to generate revenue for the courts and their cronies in the insurance, legal and substance abuse industries and to curry favor with the MADD crowd.

I was once on board with DUI laws until they implied consent for blood alcohol. Now they want warrantless blood draws and take away your DL if you refuse to dance like a monkey alongside the road. Now in many places you can get a DUI without even putting the car in drive or even starting the damn thing!

Meanwhile we see nearly just as many vehicle deaths at the hands of sober idiots that are simply written off as "tragedies" with zero repercussions short of higher insurance premuims, maybe.

Fuck that. Fuck every DUI law ever written and every fool who supports them. If a cop can't make enough of a case against a driver who's been drinking from the myriad of traffic laws we have besides the DUI laws then he probably shouldn't have stopped the drunk to begin with.

View Quote

DUI is illegal and therefore, DUI is breaking the law, precisely because in many cases it involved hurting or killing people and breaking shit.
The only revenue generated by DUI is for the defense attorney's and the insurance companies. State of Missouri doesn't get that much and most likely loses money on the deal when prison/incarceration costs are factored in.
I don't like MAAD very much either.
Implied consent is how the State deals with non compliance on breath/blood tests. The other option is to forcibly take blood from a subject which IMO (and thankfully that of the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals) requires a search warrant.

The only recourse to the increase in driver fatalities not involving alcohol that I can think of offhand is to increase the requirements for driver's training like many other countries do. I'm not a "Lets become Europe" kinda guy, but most of the drivers & motorcyclists in Europe and Japan are far better trained and thus far better driver's than those in the US. I'm sure there is alot more involved in that, but I'm just spit balling here. If you've got a better way of reducing it, I'm willing to listen.

I think you have things confused.
The traffic laws are what generally, (check points not withstanding, I dont like them, dont agree with them, and I have not seen cop in this thread advocating them....and there are several cops in this thread....I'm the only one with the obvious avatar) get you to stop the subject who later ends up being DUI. The traffic laws and the violation of them is the cause for the stop and is grounds to show impairment and subsequent arrest for DUI.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Let me ask you this:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask you this:

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask you this:

Yes.

How?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Serious apology.....I realize internet discussions leave alot of room for error in terms of translation & understanding.

In rephrasing......If the subject had just turned around, driven off, and been stopped by the police officer due solely to avoiding the check point, and it turned out the subject wasn't DUI, just lost and trying to get somewhere...with the whole interaction being less than 5 minutes from start to finish, and ending with the subject driving away...would you have had a problem with the officer's actions and if so,  why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask you this:

Like I said, I'm just curious as to the officer finding someone turning around suspicious unless it was dept. policy to pull people over who avoid checkpoints.

Yes, I have a problem with police pulling people over who avoid checkpoints, due to the fact that checkpoints are a waste of time and impede traffic.  Just avoiding a checkpoint is not RS nor should it be so yes, I have a problem with it.  You should not be stopping people for no reason at all.  Avoiding a checkpoint is no reason at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If by "his work" you mean having a casual encounter with a citizen, then yes of course.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just because someone turns around at a checkpoint, doesn't mean they're guilty nor does it mean they should be questioned.  The act of turning around in of itself is not suspicious unless that PERSON viewing it makes it suspicious in their own mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain?
I'm not following...

It doesn't matter if you consider it suspicious or not.  Reasonable suspicion is not needed for a consensual encounter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask you this:

Yes.

How?

You cant pull someone without a violation of some sort.  Legal turn and no violations seen according to your scenario.  Unless I misread.  If you cant legally pull them everything that happens after they are pulled is a violation of their rights.  Again this is what we are talking about in this hypothetical right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Like I said, I'm just curious as to the officer finding someone turning around suspicious unless it was dept. policy to pull people over who avoid checkpoints.

Yes, I have a problem with police pulling people over who avoid checkpoints, due to the fact that checkpoints are a waste of time and impede traffic.  Just avoiding a checkpoint is not RS nor should it be so yes, I have a problem with it.  You should not be stopping people for no reason at all.  Avoiding a checkpoint is no reason at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask you this:

What's your position on investigative stops?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

He didn't pull the guy over.  It was not a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one said he did.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if you consider it suspicious or not.  Reasonable suspicion is not needed for a consensual encounter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to read, we're not talking about the specific case in teh OP right now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If by "his work" you mean having a casual encounter with a citizen, then yes of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mhm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You cant pull someone without a violation of some sort.  Legal turn and no violations seen according to your scenario.  Unless I misread.  If you cant legally pull them everything that happens after they are pulled is a violation of their rights.  Again this is what we are talking about in this hypothetical right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask you this:

Yes.

How?

No. You are incorrect. I can stop and have stopped people for investigative reasons before and made good arrests from them. Most of the time investigative stops turn out to be nothing.
I stopped a gentleman who standing at a street corner at 130 am last week. He was having a pretty serious disagreement with a street sign, and based on his body language, he was losing.
Turns out he was drunk, high on heroin, and had a couple of buttons of heroin in his pockets.

That was an investigative stop that turned into a felony arrest.

Had another one where a car had driven past a closed jewelry store at 2 am two times in a 15 minute period. Each time he slowed as he passed the store, but did not commit any traffic violations.
I stopped him and it turns out he had intended on burglarizing the store, and had warrants for other similar burglaries.

I could go on with other examples, but you get the idea.

If the investigative stop takes a short period of time and the subject detained is not issued citations/summonses or arrested for something that did not occur....how are their rights violated?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#28]
They got the decision correct, but as an aside, checkpoints are anathema to liberty and a free populace.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#29]
In VA if you pull over a car without witnessing a violation anything that comes from that stop is getting thrown out, obviously this isn't  the case in you AO.  Sorry for not quoting for continuity but fuck the new quote system.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mhm.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

In VA if you pull over a car without witnessing a violation anything that comes from that stop is getting thrown out, obviously this isn't  the case in you AO.  Sorry for not quoting for continuity but fuck the new quote system.
View Quote

You missed the point, or didn't read the article.  This was a tier one "consentual" encounter at the beginning that led to an arrest later.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You missed the point, or didn't read the article.  This was a tier one "consentual" encounter at the beginning that led to an arrest later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, side discussion brought on by a hypothetical scenario posted by op.  Not discussing the case.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, investigative stops in VA are illegal?

Interesting. Do you have a link or cite for that?
Genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
 Nope, side discussion brought on by a hypothetical scenario posted by op.  Not discussing the case.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

apologies, you're correct
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Q:   What is an investigative stop?
A:   An investigative stop occurs when a police officer briefly detains you because of a “reasonable suspicion,” based upon explainable, objective facts that you are engaged in criminal activity. A modest amount of suspicion is enough for a brief stop, but a vague hunch is not.

I fully agree with them.  The incident in the OP, however, had nothing of the sort.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Genuinely curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Genuinely curious.

I have no clue over the legality of an investigative stop.  I have personally seen cases tossed for not providing a proper reason for initiating a stop in va.  Smart Va cops will simply follow a suspicious vehicle until they commit a violation.  Keeps it simple.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not your fault bud.  I was unable to continue quoting the relevant discussion because of the wacky quote trimming  mechanism at arf currently.   Go BRAVES.  No wildcard shenanigans this year.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A:   An investigative stop occurs when a police officer briefly detains you because of a “reasonable suspicion,” based upon explainable, objective facts that you are engaged in criminal activity. A modest amount of suspicion is enough for a brief stop, but a vague hunch is not.

I fully agree with them.  The incident in the OP, however, had nothing of the sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it did.  Just not at the time of the first encounter.

Since you seem to be all over the place, referring to this specific incident, what exactly is your issue with it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diasgree. The incident in the OP that the case is about is saved IMO, by the subject pulling into a known to be closed business and exiting the vehicle. When approached by a curious police officer who is investigating a suspicious person, the subject states he trying to get a room at the closed hotel.

That is a very clear cut investigative stop.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Checkpoints are stupid and unconstitutional. Shame on the SCOTUS for allowing them.
View Quote

Slippery slope.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Diasgree. The incident in the OP that the case is about is saved IMO, by the subject pulling into a known to be closed business and exiting the vehicle. When approached by a curious police officer who is investigating a suspicious person, the subject states he trying to get a room at the closed hotel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officer had no RS, therefore, no IS.  Officer didn't see the person get out and be suspicious until he already followed the non-suspicous vehicle on a hunch...so it cannot be IS.

Had he seen the person get out of the vehicle and be suspicious before driving over there, I would agree.  But he did not so I cannot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Since you seem to be all over the place, referring to this specific incident, what exactly is your issue with it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not adept at common sense, reading comprehension, and logic, eh?  I've already stated what my concern is regarding the OP.  If you can't find it, that's not our fault.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Tried to check into a closed motel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Officer had no RS, therefore, no IS.  Officer didn't see the person get out and be suspicious until he already followed the non-suspicous vehicle on a hunch...so it cannot be IS.

Had he seen the person get out of the vehicle and be suspicious before driving over there, I would agree.  But he did not so I cannot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He also didn't stop the guy until he saw something that gave him RS.

Following someone is not the same as stopping them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And my point is that I don't think he should have been there to do a stop in the first place, simply because the guy pulled into a parking lot.

Therefore, no IS should have happened because there should have been no RS because he shouldn't have followed him.  Thank you for helping prove my point.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

You win the internets.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not adept at common sense, reading comprehension, and logic, eh?  I've already stated what my concern is regarding the OP.  If you can't find it, that's not our fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you say so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you say so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you say so.

It's not me.....it's the world.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And my point is that I don't think he should have been there to do a stop in the first place, simply because the guy pulled into a parking lot.

Therefore, no IS should have happened because there should have been no RS because he shouldn't have followed him.  Thank you for helping prove my point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that the officer didn't stop the guy until he was heading for the door of a closed building.  That's not RS?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top