BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Can I just say Max, you have the best sigline on this site.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Remington 700 LA in 7mm Remington Magnum

It was my deer gun (BDL) for a long time until the upgrade.  Too heavy to be a hunting rifle now but it will shoot less than moa out to 1000 yards.

The 700 is a very good action and aftermarket parts are abundant.  I really like the wood stocked versions, the synthetic stocked ones leave a little to be desired.  I shot a few and the ones with the Hogue stockset had a bit of flex at the fore end and would throw shots off when loading the bi-pod.  But many people have not had issues and have very accurate rifles.

What type of hunting are you looking to do?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My contribution, 5R .308, YHM 7.62 brake, Vortex 3-9x40, harris non-swivel bipod

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't have a deer rifle yet, what can you tell me about it? Pics encouraged

Do you have any rifles at all? If so, why are those not "deer rifles?"

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Based on the mauser action.  Great shooting rifles.  Handle well.

No complaints.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are better guns. Remington has really shitty QC.

Agreed, I bought a NIB 700 CDL SS with fluted barrel in 257 Roberts it would not even chamber a round the chamber was short. The recoil pad did not fit the stock correctly and the over all build quality was poor. After I got it back from warranty repair it shot 2 MOA at best I sold it then

Most the issues with bolt guns I've seen were chamber or crown related.
When the bolt handle fell off my M24 in country, I swore I'd never spend my own money on one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]
i shoot a remington model 700 5r

it shoots 5 shot groups under 1" all the time.

i would highly recommend one
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#8]
there a crap shoot. stuff from the last 5 years has been pretty much shit in the QC department. Out of round chambers, shitty finishes horrendous triggers. are just a few nice features of the 700..
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Shitty factory triggers, everything else is OK.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No complaints.

no not really.. mauser is control round fed, the rem is push style. Completely different animals..
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't really been impressed with the quality of recent 700s. If I was buying a new bolt-action hunting rifle I'd look at CZ or Sako.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
lol r700 threads in gd are as about as worse as they can be presented as a noob

Can I buy some weed from you?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#13]
+1
Quoted:
I've had a 700 my entire adult life.  As far as value, I would argue that there is not a better bolt-action rifle.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:35:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I haven't really been impressed with the quality of recent 700s. If I was buying a new bolt-action hunting rifle I'd look at CZ or Sako.

agreed, I was a big 700 guy until I handled a CZ. People need to feel the factory CZ set trigger.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed, I was a big 700 guy until I handled a CZ. People need to feel the factory CZ set trigger.

and whats funny is guys are taking those off for an aftermarket one. I know right WTF?!?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 700BDL my grandpa gave me about 8 years ago. I don't know how long he had it, but he had it as long as my father can remember, so I'd say awhile. I can shoot 1" groups off of a rest at 100 yards with my cheap Simmons scope(I want a Nikon or Leoupold). I have never had it fire when I didn't pull the trigger, neither did grandpa. Maybe its the newer ones that are problematic.

I thought about having it bedded and trigger lightened, but I think I will keep it the way grandpa gave it to me and look into one of those CZs........

And its .308
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The knuckleheads on a local forum say the Model 700 has an unsafe trigger.  They quote some "documentary" about the rifle being unsafe.  The rifle supposedly fires when the safety is disengaged.
What is the GD response to these claims?

Easy to avoid;

-don't let ignorant bastards adjust your trigger, it can be done with improper sear engagement/too light, keeping the poundage up where it was DESIGNED FOR keeps it reliable even through gummed trigger innards (see next point). For a deer hunting rifle there is no real reason to go lower than 3 to 4 pounds especially if you're not used to light triggers.   An accident waiting to happen.  

-don't let old oil dry and gum up the works, clean with action out of stock with spray crud cutter, do not oil with dino oil,  no oil is better than dino oil, if you feel you must oil, use the thinnest synthetic oil you can find and use it VERY sparingly.  FWIW Rem oil will turn to gum in 3-5 years for sure BTDT on the M700V trigger set rather light that I let sit unloved in the safe for too long.  I got a retarded/slow firing pin strike that failed to set off primer.   I had a 40X from CMP do the same exact thing after sitting in Army storage for god knows how many years.  That one I could pull the trigger and about 20-30 seconds later it would drop the striker.  Took it outside in the cold and that striker wasn't budging.  

- my local gunsmith also points out that the pullweight setting has some issues when too light,  the spring rides in a channel threaded for the trigger weight adjustment screw.  His opinion is that the spring sometimes is hanging or slowed by the interior threading SOME of the time giving trigger pull variance.  His opinion is that the design could be improved for match work if that channel was smooth for the spring instead of threaded in that area.  Makes sense to me.  

I still have a few M700's and like them just fine.  I also have a FN SPR which is model 70 type with controlled feed.  I like that better but they're both outstanding rifles if you take care of them.  

If you're intelligent and reasonable you can set the older M700 triggers by following directions online.  You must make sure you have adequate sear engagement, you must not go too light, and you must put a sealant back on the adjustment screws so they don't wander off setting with use because they can and will, and you must maintain the cleanliness to avoid gums/varnished oils.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No complaints.

nope
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Over about the last 10 years, I've seen, in person, 3 Rem. 700 LTR's fire when the safety was manipulated. Competent shooters, stock guns, unmodified and well cared for. That is out of about 12 years of shooting, with or around, about twenty total 700's. Obviously, Remington will never, ever, ever, ever, ever admit that is is their fault. I now have a Timney trigger installed to mitigate the possibility of an ND and also utilize the "ready/safe" technique of leaving the bolt handle up until ready to fire. My 700s never had the safety problem but it is always in the back of  my mind.

The rifles have otherwise been reliable, without breakages and more accurate than I can shoot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#21]

I love mine
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Winchesters new Model 70s made in South Carolina by Fnusa are fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Love mine...pss700 in .308

Sits in an AICS with viper skins...larue rail..IOR scope..ksg bolt knob TIR sling
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#24]
^4000$

^600$ cheapo.

.30-06 adl
Used bdl stock, I free floated
Cheap scope and mount
Cheap bipod
Detachable 10rd box mag.

Fun rifle.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have one in .270

The 700 is a popular gun and IIRC you can
get parts to fit it with a magazine.

I love mine

Be prepared to pay. A lot. ($200+)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top