Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Friend of a friend? myob
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me know when you find ANYWHERE in the world where the train is financially viable w/out gov't intervention.

As energy prices trend upwards over the long term it is only a matter of time before it is. Burning 2,500-5,000 gallons of Jet-A to move 120 people 500 miles isn't a long term solution (flying).  

Depends how many people want to travel those 500 miles. If there's only 120 people who need to make that trip, it's a freaking winning lottery ticket compared to obtaining the land, building the tracks, and buying/maintaining the actual train to move 120 people.

Yup.  In air travel,  there are loss leaders and contribution margin.  

With trains, because of the infrastructure cost, everyone pays, and any train that has an empty seat is losing money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is it with fascists and trains?

Control everyone by packaging everyone like goddamn fucking sardines on a train?

Send them to the "shower"
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, that Chinese high speed line is great till one of the trains comes off the track at nearly 200 mph...  I doubt anyone's walking away from that with a limp.

Imagine that here in the US?  The litigation would destroy whatever company ran the rail.

That's the problem.  The Chinese build their shit fast and cheap, not good.

And as others have stated, they tend to not give a shit about things like democracy or pesky little shit about neighborhoods being in the way.

A large part of the reason they can pull it off is because as a totalitarian government, they can simply take land from anyone in the way.  Economically, nobody wants to spend two hundred bucks on an eight hour trip when you can spend roughly the same amount on a plane ticket and be there in two hours.

Besides, when did you ever meet a leftist that didn't love a big-government, we-can-do-it-better, save the world program?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
take a plane, do in 60 minutes with only one anal probe, naked x-ray, and stolen iPad from TSA

if I don't bring an Ipad am I locked up as one of them terorist types? and am I alowed to concolidate it to just One Naked Anal Probe?

We need to consider ourselves lucky that they don't make everyone wear a paper hospital gown to fly.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Friend of a friend? myob

This isn't her posting about her dog or something, it's her commenting on a social issue.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Trip to visit Dad.    

Scranton PA to Rockford IL  

Train  $190  25 hours ( Drive to harrisburg > get train to shitcago > bus to rockford )

Plane  $200+$24 bus ticket(from ORD to rockord) (figuring 1 way so half price of rt ticket)   20min to AVP > 2hr flight > 1.5hr bus  (overall approx 4.5hrs)

Drive  $90 fuel + $30 tolls   leave when I want, smoke when I want, take as many guns as I want   13.5hrs including piss stops food and smoke breaks

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't ride a chinese train 50 feet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
If there was an actual demand for high speed rail then the private sector would already have done it. EVERYTHING the Gov touches it poisons.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If there was an actual demand for high speed rail then the private sector would already have done it. EVERYTHING the Gov touches it poisons.

They have a tendency to hump your leg too...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd love to have trains.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have a tendency to hump your leg too...

Touche'

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
take a plane, do in 60 minutes with only one anal probe, naked x-ray, and stolen iPad from TSA

if I don't bring an Ipad am I locked up as one of them terorist types? and am I alowed to concolidate it to just One Naked Anal Probe?

We need to consider ourselves lucky that they don't make everyone wear a paper hospital gown to fly.

true because any person forced to stare at my hairy ass would have a stroke.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I love trains. I figure the industry could make high speed rail work if the government wasn't all up in their shit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#15]
The USA does not have good train service because of lobbyists.  The Auto, Rail Freight and Bus special interests don't want it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
our rail system sucks dick.  

our rail system sucks dick for a reason.

Hey now! You can get to New Orleans from Jackson, MS on a train faster than you can a car.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/563967_397971743611040_2070610011_n.png

With the caption:

Why did we give up on railway travel? Oh, right, because we don't need fast energy efficient methods of transportation in Uhmurikuh, because railroads and energy efficiency is for Communists, got dangit.

My response(still mulling it over):

First of all, there's more pressing issues out there than building a bunch of high speed rail lines.  For instance, the fact that neither political party can get it together to pass a budget.  Second of all, for a lot of trips, it's a lot faster to either drive or take a plane.

If it was cost effective and had the potential to be profitable, we would already have it.

American cities are spread out pretty well, high speed rail stops being high speed rail when there is 100 stops in between Seattle and San Diego.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
our rail system sucks dick.  

our rail system sucks dick for a reason.

Hey now! You can get to New Orleans from Jackson, MS on a train faster than you can a car.

I could be a rail hobo too, but I won't.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/563967_397971743611040_2070610011_n.png

With the caption:

Why did we give up on railway travel? Oh, right, because we don't need fast energy efficient methods of transportation in Uhmurikuh, because railroads and energy efficiency is for Communists, got dangit.

My response(still mulling it over):

First of all, there's more pressing issues out there than building a bunch of high speed rail lines.  For instance, the fact that neither political party can get it together to pass a budget.  Second of all, for a lot of trips, it's a lot faster to either drive or take a plane.

Rail transit is a retrograde technology from the 19th century. Rail is not efficient, rail is wasteful of the most valuable resource society has, time. This in turn reduces productivity, creating vast inefficiencies across all of society by forcing society to limit itself to where and when rail operates.

Progressives love rail because it concentrates people and thus concentrates their power.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#20]

I actually design rail bridges and highway bridges.

Tell your facebook buddy that building a railway thru a wasteland with defacto slave labor is slightly cheaper than building one thru the middle of the most expensive real estate on the face of the earth with California union labor.

See if that rings any bells.

It is worth pointing out that the amount of money that was spent in iraq and afghanistan, for basically a giant scam, would have been plenty to make the US transportation system into the best in the world with a shitload of money left over.

War is a racket, the biggest swindle in the world.

I can build a bridge for $1M that would serve the public every single day for 100 years, with all the cost going right into american labor and materials.

Instead that exact same sum will put exactly 10 US soldiers on the ground in afghanistan.

Here's the problem - heavy construction work is high risk and low profit.   But dropping a $50K bomb on a sand dune is high profit.  

Our government is like a wino that smashes your $400 car window to get a quarter off the dashboard.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Try getting the Environmental Inpact Statements and associated permits to break ground on a new railroad right if way. $150 billion later the EPA/USF&WS/WTFBBQ is going to tell you, "fuck no, you can't build that! You'd impact the native habitat of the Bavarian Testicle Fly!!!"

You made this world libs... Deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Moving people is inefficient unless you load them like livestock.  Where trains shine is in moving freight somewhere w/o barge access.  For this application speed is secondary to reliability and being on schedule.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top