BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I got popped for uninspected car today. I've had a rough year with the fuzz They are much politer when you're a middle aged fat guy in a suit then I remember them being when I was a skinny young guy in a leather jacket with a beard and long hair.

Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do a lot of departments have a policy of not allowing officers to give jump-starts?

Just curious because someone I know is furious that a cop wouldn't jump her car.

Probally a liability thing. "This cop messed with my car now it's broken, I want a new one!"

Also police cars have beefed up electrical systems due to the extra lights, raidos, ect.. There's probally a chance they could fry an older cars electronics

That was my guess. Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I got 3 close friends who are LEOs, they're awesome dudes. Not JBT looking around to "repress" people for the hell of it, like many on ARF believe.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why not change the title to reflect the good will?

Look at the view/reply ratio on this thread.  Suckered us, OP has.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ran out of gas today and he gave me a ride. Thank you sir.

A freaking waste of taxpayer money, and the cop forgetting that he should be going after REAL criminals, instead of giving people rides that are not responsible enough to look at their fuel gauge.  I bet you collect welfare and foodstamps too, right?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do a lot of departments have a policy of not allowing officers to give jump-starts?

Just curious because someone I know is furious that a cop wouldn't jump her car.

Probally a liability thing. "This cop messed with my car now it's broken, I want a new one!"

Also police cars have beefed up electrical systems due to the extra lights, raidos, ect.. There's probally a chance they could fry an older cars electronics

We can't jump, slim jim or push a car (unless an emergency) anymore due to claims against our agency for damage.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not change the title to reflect the good will?

Look at the view/reply ratio on this thread.  Suckered us, OP has.

I use the mouse-over text to preview threads, and knew going in what it was.    I wasn't fooled by the title, just disappointed that after an officer does nice - he gets a title like this.
We hold LEOs to higher standards when they get caught doing bad, but we rarely give them the thanks they earn when they help.
I apologize for ruining the surprise of LE making nice, or causing rain on the parade.  I guess that in the end I get the message that an officer did good - but overall, dishonest thread titles bother me.  They're only okay to me when dealing with TSA.
It's GD.  As you were.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Some MDT companies recommend no jump-starts on the possibility of frying the computer. Personally I've never burned anything up, but I could see a policy being drafted on it.

ETA: And I changed a lady's tire on the interstate, New Year's Day. Even took her flat spare to the truck stop to inflate it. I'm such an asshole.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I got 3 close friends

You lie.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some new cars have a string of warnings about jump starting a vehicle - something about frying the electronics...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That wouldn't happen around here.  

Not where I work as a LEO either.

Quoted:

We do. I try not to touch anyone's car in any way. Leads to complaints. That's why I stopped doing vehicle lockouts for people who aren't LEOs even though I have all the tools in my patrol bag. I tell them to call a locksmith, tow company, or find a brick.

Quoted:
They don't let us do any of that stuff.
At some point we used to do it, but when things didn't work out perfectly the person wanted to get paid, so we stopped.
Open a locked door, damage the mechanism, demand pay
Change a tire, strip or break a lug bolt, demand pay
Battery jump, and the alteneator's regulator, or car's computer goes, demand pay

This.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got popped for uninspected car today. I've had a rough year with the fuzz They are much politer when you're a middle aged fat guy in a suit then I remember them being when I was a skinny young guy in a leather jacket with a beard and long hair.

Agreed.   It makes a hell of a difference.   I remember driving a $200 Civic around town with crumpled fenders, a missing front bumper, and a dinged up hood.   Cop Magnet.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some new cars have a string of warnings about jump starting a vehicle - something about frying the electronics...

Yeah.   I'm leery of doing it as well.    I've fried an alternator or two jump starting my old beaters. Granted, these were cheapo,crappy Autozone alternators.

I'd much rather charge the battery, while its disconnected from the car.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I got 3 close friends who are LEOs, they're awesome dudes. Not JBT looking around to "repress" people for the hell of it, like many on ARF believe.  

Most cops, once they get over being power mad goofy rookies, are nice enough guys, at least in rural areas.  

Most of my run ins have been with rurals.  If you're local, they're fine.  It's when you're from out of town or if you pissed off the local cliche somehow that you run into difficulties.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Good guy no doubt. Very nice of him.

But jump starting a car nowadays can be very BAD if you do it wrong. Very expensive electronics in cars.

If you get it wrong, there goes your $7k nav DVD ignition system.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did you run out of gas?

He obviously didn't put more gasoline in the tank in time.

So the local tax payers had to pay for his ride to the gas station

Should have just called a tow service for a gal of gas

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How much stick time did you recieve?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#20]
It used to be that the MSP had a hookup inder the hood so they could pump you a gallon of gas right off the cruiser if you ran out.

I imagine now with fuell injection they can't do that anymore.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He didn't plant weed or cocaine on you?

did he say he was black ? then why would the cop plant drugs on him ?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A ride to the big house?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:34:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you ask him not to taze you first?

It would probably happen in my town.   We have a decent group of LEOs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#24]
A very nice gesture for sure. :)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Happened to me in highschool once.  Officer even offered to buy a gallon for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Then ticketed you for parking illegally, right?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We can't jump, slim jim or push a car (unless an emergency) anymore due to claims against our agency for damage.

How about changing someones tire on the side of the interstate? I saw a WHP Officer getting his hands dirty changing a dudes tire on the side of I-80 one day. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I would say most folks in Wyoming will stop and ask if someone needs help when they see someone stopped on the side of the road, I know I do. This time of year it can be a matter of life or death out here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is common for agencies for car-to-car. We carry jump boxes just for this purpose.

We don't give jumps to people car to car because we fried a VERY expensive modem doing that once...once.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly correct. I had a police SUV pull me out when I was stuck on an unplowed street a few years ago, but only after one of the officers told the other I was "okay" and "He won't say anything if we pull his bumper off" (and By God I sure wouldn't!)

These days there's a lot of expensive electrical equipment in police cars...mobile data terminals, cameras, radios, gun locks...it's understandable if an officer would hesitate to give someone a jump.  The disabled vehicle has some kind of electrical damage or deficiency, and hooking up the patrol car may not be a good thing.  Especially if the officers department would make him pay for the damages or the tax payer would have to pay.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How about changing someones tire on the side of the interstate?

I wouldn't. The second the rim gets scratched or the lug nut gets stripped it'll be a IA complaint and investigation.
No thanks, call a tow truck or walk.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

nope, only time the cops gave me a ride was to the PD.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The local cops make people sign waivers.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Can't quote worth a damn today.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not where I work as a LEO either.

Quoted:

We do. I try not to touch anyone's car in any way. Leads to complaints. That's why I stopped doing vehicle lockouts for people who aren't LEOs even though I have all the tools in my patrol bag. I tell them to call a locksmith, tow company, or find a brick.

Quoted:
They don't let us do any of that stuff.
At some point we used to do it, but when things didn't work out perfectly the person wanted to get paid, so we stopped.
Open a locked door, damage the mechanism, demand pay
Change a tire, strip or break a lug bolt, demand pay
Battery jump, and the alteneator's regulator, or car's computer goes, demand pay

This.

And the public gets what the public wants...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#35]
IBTL
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#37]
bastards!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Stop running out of gas.  We are not a taxi service.

j/k  We do a ton a community service type calls because there isn't a lot of real crime happening.

ETA: We will do lockouts, change tires and such but not jumping cars.  Too much can go wrong with that one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top