User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I normally frown upon a lot of Police responses these days, but I think this one was totally justified and would give this one a bonus.

That's because you only the ones on the news which encompass about .00000000001 percent, and then you are not always getting the whole story....just the snippets that make it appear the way they want it.  

Listen, of course there are bad cops, but I'm willing to bet it's the same ratio as bad doctors, salesman, lawyers (well, actually I'm sure the bad lawyer ratio is much higher!)

After being confronted with an armed suspect with outstanding drug warrants (he got the drop on me, but thank God he didn't have the nerve to pull the trigger) my Chief said to me in a conversation several days later  "...you're a good guy...and unfortunately the good guys always seem to get hurt..."

The guy turned and ran after I took evasive action and I could have taken a shot, but we was running by a house with people on the front porch watching this event and I chose not to shoot.  We holed him up later in and when he decided to come out, he pointed his .40 pistol at another officer who took him out.  The local papers and tv stations ran the story and all the monday morning quarterbacks came out...State Police said the Officer was justified.  

The same Officer got an award for saving a girl from drowning...no tv or newspaper coverage.  I received a medal from my states Police Chief's Association for keeping an accident victim from bleeding to death after a motorcycle accident out in the country while I was off duty...no tv or newspaper coverage.  

Yeah, you rarely hear about all the good that LEOs do.

I am no longer a Cop.  I decided that my life was worth more than $27,000 a year.  I learned a lot about how the public perceives LEOs and how the decisions they have to make in a split second are critiqued by those who have never served or drive a desk for a living...it is awful!  I made it 5 years.  I don't see how guys do this for 20 and retire.  I am grateful to those who protect and serve.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it cops vs. cops?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top