Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've gone 300K miles this since 9-11. Had two problems. Had a another passenger put his hand on my leg and a girl keep kicking my chair for the whole flight. I put my hand on the guys leg and told him "I like it." He moved seats. I smashed the 6 year olds legs with the recline button and good timing. Those were the only terrorists I saw. Laptop would be my weapon of choice though. Blocks knives, hits hard and you can blog the action at the same time.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Take one of those magazines, roll it, thrust forward like a knife jab.
Throw/ push a passenger/ flight attendant at them.
breifcase or other cary on luggage as a blunt object.
Before you take your trip, cut a piece of plexi glass the same size as credit card, put sharp edge on it, put it your wallet.
If sitting next to a woman, borrow her compact, break mirror, take a shard, aply to opponet.
Or better yet find a women with high heels, I think you know were i'm going with that.
Use a watch as brass knuckles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a SureFire with a "Strike Bezel"
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Best weapon is your righteous indignation and your total unwillingness to go along with anything the terrorists want.  Talk to your neighbors in the adjacent seats and gain their cooperation before departing (unless, of course, they are wearing turbans on their heads).

Death to all terrorists!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Take one of those magazines, roll it, thrust forward like a knife jab.
Throw/ push a passenger/ flight attendant at them.
breifcase or other cary on luggage as a blunt object.
Before you take your trip, cut a piece of plexi glass the same size as credit card, put sharp edge on it, put it your wallet.
If sitting next to a woman, borrow her compact, break mirror, take a shard, aply to opponet.
Or better yet find a women with high heels, I think you know were i'm going with that.
Use a watch as brass knuckles.

They're easy?  

...and having sex in the restroom while the plane is going down after being hit by two F-15's is going to be more relaxing than sitting in your seat screaming?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
lol.. The pen without the knife in it is the best bet for you.

This is another self defense, incapacitate and fighting system.  The DVD set is done very well and you can teach yourself easily. It covers basics very well, and moves on to advanced principles of street fighting, defending and attacking from the ground, takedowns, incapacitaion, , knife and gun threat defenses and knife fighting. Not a fancy system, the principles are "Bust you the fuck up quick and get on to the next one"  Basically.

fight2survive.com/default.aspx
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Also do not underestimate the effect of popping the emergency door at 25,000 feet on any un-belted terrorists.

GunLvr

Just think of the physics of that, you're sitting at 8 psi differential, and a 36 inch wide by 72 inch door that has to move inward before it can open (plug door).  You would have to apply roughly 20736 lbs of foce before you could even think about moving the door.  If you can figure a way to move almost 10.5 Tons by yourself, go ahead.  Opening the door is just in the movies.

The pen is a good idea, and it will allow you to fight your way to a portable oxygen bottle, or a fire extinguisher.  Both would make excelent clubs, and there are several of them throughought the cabin, because they are required emergency equipment.  Allthough if someone was rushing the cockpit, I would just stay put belted in my seat, because it's standard pratice for pilot training now to put the airplane in a -3g dive, then level out so air marshals, flight attendants, or passengers can jump the tangos.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Some balls and some guys behind you to take care of business when the moron with the boxcutter gets you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am taking a flight and want to have some sort of weapon to defend myself in case of terrorists. So I know the ol Gun/Knife thing is out but give me some ideas of what I could have that would not look like a weapon off hand but could be turned into one if need be.

I'm not looking for answers here. These are question you need to ask yourself.

You're already equiped with the most lethal weapon in the history of the world. The human mind. Can you use it? [R. Lee Ermey]It is a hard heart that kills![/R. Lee Ermey] How hard is your heart?

Can you plan? Can you organize? Can you lead? Do you have enough backbone to prop up those that don't? Are you willing to "die trying"? Literally, die, trying? Can you be fast, fearless, and ferocious? If you go to punch a terrorist in the face and he turns his head, you break two fingers, will you stay in the fight?

What is your mind set? How's your situational awareness? How do you spend your time in the waiting area? Are you assessing the passengers? Who could help? Who would be a liability? Can you spot servicemen, cops, athletes, kung fu fighters, and ninjas? Not joking, do their carry-on bags have logos or patches from a dojo or martial arts federation? How 'bout that wiry guy that's been steadily knocking 'em back in the lounge? He's got a bent nose and big knobby, scarred knuckles. A bar brawler could be a godsend in a tight situation. When you board are you watching that fine ass in front of you or are you noting the seating location of possible friends and foes?

Do you play the "What If" game? What if there are three terrorists? Five? Nine? What weapons? Box cutters, real knives, guns, explosives? What tactics will work best in what combination against various combinations of armed terrorist. How would you organize various combinations of allies? A fireman, a marathoner, a rock climber, two high steel workers, and a retired cop for instance? Can you plan and execute a diversion? Can you get others to do it? Could you get the first three rows on each side of the aisle (say 18 bodies) to simutaneously start throwing every magazine, plane safety card, seat cushion, or loose item at the two terrorists in the aisle, all the while screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs? So that behind this barrage of chaff and sound you and the six froggiest mofos on the plane charge down the aisle and save the day. You now have two of what ever weapons they had. Did you pre-plan who would wield the new weapons? Who was the fall back guy if the first was a casualty?

Have you studied any martial arts? If not at least read a book. Sure there is no substitute for experience and practice, but just knowing the human bodys' weakpoints may give you a critical advantage. Many strike points are obvious, many very good ones are not.

So many things can be used offensively that I'm tempted to say virtually anything is a field expedient weapon.

Here's the deal, if it's harder and/or heavier than your hand and lighter than your ass, and can be swung, it's a weapon. If it has hard edges, corners, or is pointy, BONUS, it's a better weapon.

I'll get you started. Every plane is loaded with magazines (as previously pointed out) that can be used offensively. Magazines with a square glued spine will work best, but many are too thick and will roll up to a large, unusable diameter (unless you have hands like an NBA center). Any magazine will do, the trick is to roll it tightly. You don't want a tube, you want a rod (no light down the center). Now if you thought ahead, you packed in your briefcase/carryon a couple dispensers of that cheap strapping tape. You know the stuff with the fiberglass running through it. Here's where you need more hands. Remember TIGHTLY wrapped, now start at one end and candycane wrap the entire magazine leaving only an eighth of an inch exposed at each end. In a pinch (if you're making a lot of these) twice around at each end and in the middle will do but won't be as durable. A couple rolls of tape and lots of magazines equals a weapon for every swinging dick and bull dyke on the plane.

Now remember this is NOT a club. It's best used in a two handed thrust to soft targets (including overhand or underhand attacks); groin, solar plexus, throat or most anywhere on the neck. It can also be effective against light bones. If you use two hands and get your weight behind it you can break ribs. The sternum and face (especially the eye sockets and nose) can be attacked. Thrust against the eye or forehead and twisted (remember the eighth inch we left exposed?) with pressure can rip or cut the skin and cause enough blood flow to impair the terrorist's vision. Here's where a plan, and not going it alone is invaluable. Maybe the bigger of three guys is only tasked with knocking the terrorist to the ground and tying up his arms (bear hug), while two smaller guys leapfrog over to get the targets' head and pummels the bad guy to a pulp. Once he is disabled three or four good stomps to the neck will kill most men. YMMV, use your best judgment, but plan ahead. If you're going to take prisoners you better have a plan to secure them, unless you want to fight them all over again without the element of surprise. Make no mistake these terrorists train and they are tough and most importantly they are willing to "die trying".

Remember this above all else, strike hard, strike fast, and don't stop until the bad guy is down, out and counting his virgins.

The only other thing you need is a big set of brass balls sized to ring the Liberty Bell, and you're good to go.

You are already probably more dangerous than you know.

Semper Fi

Edited for spelling because I read too many British authors in my mis-spent youth, and I'm tired.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The arm rests on most airplane seats is removable .
Look for the release lever when you sit down .  The
737 I was on last year was a ring attached to a cable
at the base of the support .
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Everyone put on your tinfoil hats... I think this is a trap!!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Sheesh.  Got some badass airline commandos here.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sheesh.  Got some badass airline commandos here.  

It was some real badass' that "rolled" and rode that plane into Pensylvannia dirt on 9/11. May God bless and keep everyone of 'em.

Better to be prepared, take action and survive.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]
what else??
an AR-15 w/ lots of mags!!!

try a uniball pen(dont know if airlines will let folks on board w./ em now) they are sharp
anything available
if only folks remember, there is strenght in NUMBERS! 200+ passengers vs a few terrorists, what are the odds>?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:03:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know if it would make a good weapon but I wouldn't travel without my lucky 8-ball from my first pool table.  I also would make sure I keep in my carry-on a pair of tube socks... you know the really long ones.

Or follow this advice

<homerSimpson>First, you gotta scream like a woman and keep sobbing until the other turns away in disgust. That's when it's time to kick some back! And then when he's lying on the ground, kick him in the rib, step on his neck and run like hell.</homerSimpson>
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:16:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Get a SureFire with a "Strike Bezel"

Last time I flew I was interrogated for an hour because of a Z3 and a dirty 1911. They were both together in a water tight case. I declared the 1911 but the residual powder thew the bells off. They took the Z3 apart! and the guy that opened the case and lock did not know how to operate the slide on my 1911. I think he was carrying a Sig.

Samuel
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I have thought about how a plexiglas or hard plastic type clipboard could very easily become a sharp if someone broke it in half, or in several pieces. If it was pre-scored with something like an exacto knife, it might be very easy. Don't know if it would pass security. Half the shit they prohibit is harmless. I mean who the f*&% is gonna attack a pilot with a nail clipper knife blade?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've gone 300K miles this since 9-11. Had two problems. Had a another passenger put his hand on my leg and a girl keep kicking my chair for the whole flight. I put my hand on the guys leg and told him "I like it." He moved seats. I smashed the 6 year olds legs with the recline button and good timing. Those were the only terrorists I saw. Laptop would be my weapon of choice though. Blocks knives, hits hard and you can blog the action at the same time.

"Best post" award on this thread!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have thought about how a plexiglas or hard plastic type clipboard could very easily become a sharp if someone broke it in half, or in several pieces. If it was pre-scored with something like an exacto knife, it might be very easy. Don't know if it would pass security. Half the shit they prohibit is harmless. I mean who the f*&% is gonna attack a pilot with a nail clipper knife blade?

Can you say CD...DVD...CDRW? Snap one of those babies in half and Viola! Pointy and possibly sharp. This and a nice stout pen; an unbeatable combo.

What do I win!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A nice belt with a very heavy buckle could come in handy.  Not only can you swing the heavy buckle at someone you can also use the belt around their neck to choke them.  Then once you have them incapacitated you can use it to tie them up.

+ 1 on the belt.

I always make sure that, when I am flying, I am wearing a pants/belt combo that allows for the belt to slide right out of the belt loops without getting stopped by friction.  So, no patterned or cloth belts for me.  I always wear my shiny leather belt that slides right out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Beverage Cart.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Martial Arts training, preferably Krav Maga, of which the basics can be learned well quickly.

Is that really true?

Probably.  "learning" and "knowing" are two very different things.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#23]
A nice book.

You can Bible bash them
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#24]
You are the best weapon  Your brain,hand and feet.
There are so many things laptop, luggage , boots , jackets coffee pot just about anything handy.
The fastest if you are trapped in your seat and unarmed completely would be if you twist hard on the pop down trays on the seatbacks most will pop out of the tracks. They are quite stiff
Flat side used to block
thin side used to jab and keep knife slashes at bay.
I would hate to get jabbed in the face head area with it
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Martial Arts training, preferably Krav Maga, of which the basics can be learned well quickly.

Excellent idea. All the lethality of other skills, without the bells & whistles.  No belts, no ceremony....just flat out ass kicking skills.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A quality fat metal pen, carried with your bidness items.

www.montblanc-pens.net/images/MontblSolitaireVermeil.jpg

Until someone actually uses one.  Then they will ban pens from flights.

This will only be fun once we get to the point where you can carry nothing and must fly naked.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Seems to me most of these suggestions would be confiscated or the like... I bought a decorative item on a trip that had a 1" brass spire on it.... they threatened confiscation etc. and it held up the whole show while TSA personnel described all the ways in which my decorative scale could be used to injure someone... best thing I've heard yet that shouldn't cause a holdup/confiscation issue is a good leather strap with a heavy belt buckle... you can really reach out and touch someone and should have little to no problem passing it through security.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Here you go, ceramic knives with NO METAL in them.  Slip one on you inside your pants and walk right through the metal detector.
Kyocera ceramic knives
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you say CD...DVD...CDRW? Snap one of those babies in half and Viola! Pointy and possibly sharp. This and a nice stout pen; an unbeatable combo.

What do I win!

Ding! Ding!  We have a winnaar!

Anybody have a CD around?  Snap one inf half...many times you get quite the knife.  I did this for people at work on 9/12/01 and everyone was quite shocked how sharp the thing was.

I wouldn't file/sharpen anything as airport security will freak if they find it.

Oh...and an FN P90 might be nice...but again, the security people may not look kindly on that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here you go, ceramic knives with NO METAL in them.  Slip one on you inside your pants and walk right through the metal detector.
Kyocera ceramic knives

Hmmm... sounds like jail time to me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#31]
He just needs democracy to protect him
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#32]
fists? i would prob. go the Surefire route.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#33]
+1 on some boots.  I nice side kick directly to Achmed's kneecap will put him down in short order...a few stomps to the head, and 1 less terrorist to worry about.  And don't forget about the head butt...VERY hand in close quarters...just as the Scottish Soccer Hooligans lol.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
A nice belt with a very heavy buckle could come in handy.  Not only can you swing the heavy buckle at someone you can also use the belt around their neck to choke them.  Then once you have them incapacitated you can use it to tie them up.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Determination to act if SHTF
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#36]
a brain between you ears is the best weapon.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#37]
if you fly Delta, you can always use their "sky deli" sandwich... it could be used as a blunt instrument of pain.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Have you seen the G&GG impact bezel for surefire flash lights?  Use a credit card and charge them to death.  That is what my wife does to me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I just got back from a business trip. First thing, you check out the other passengers before the flight and keep your ears open for trouble while you're in flight. Second, you look for potential help should something go down. Third, you adopt a "this plane is not going to go down while I'm alive" mindset.

Then when nothing happens, life is good.

This of course changes if you're on a big plane. DC-9 cockpits would be much easier to defend than a widebody.

The only terror you'll face is the screaming three month old baby that the idiot parents decided should travel with them... and they didn't bring a bottle so the poor kid can't pop its ears. Where's that "angry" smiley???
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Four pages and nobody thought of a cane? Think about it. You've got a weapon with about a 3' range and is legal just about everywhere. Canes can be used for throws, joint locks, chokes, or just bashing someone over the head. Work on your limp, no one will give you a second look.

A handful of change wrapped in a bandana will get someones attention when smacked in the head with it. A mini-mag light or Surefire makes a good improvised kubaton, fist load, or flail when you attach a set of keys to it.

A belt makes a decent improvised weapon as well. Combine the belt with the padlock in your carry-on for added fun. Find a lock that can double as improvised knuckles. Something like this:
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Combine the belt with the padlock in your carry-on for added fun. Find a lock that can double as improvised knuckles. Something like this:

Just wanted to add that a carabiner can be used as an improvised set of knuckles as well - strap one on to your carry-on luggage and TSA will never give it a second look.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
A quality fat metal pen, carried with your bidness items.

www.montblanc-pens.net/images/MontblSolitaireVermeil.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A big thick newspaper. Rolled up lenght-wise, you have a soft bat. Rolled up with the fold, you'll have a hell'a baton.

Rolled up magazine will work also well, jam it into eyes, use it to block, or strike ... You can also use a credit card as a slashing weapon in a pinch, if you grip it tightly and whip out you can slash an attackers jugular ... Try it on a watermelon or pumpkin, you'd be amazed at how much damage you can do with a little effort.

I second the rolled up tight magazine.  You can do a lot of damage with a rolled up magazine.  I co-worker and I were discussing this two months ago, he didn't think that was a valid weapon.

Well,  60 seconds and three serious bruises (and five buck for me) later,  he was a believer.  Have your SO try one on you,  you'll regret it.

ETA:  For myself,  I will just wrap a blanket around my arm,  I'm 6'5" and 330 lbs,  if you and 5 of you rmiddle eastern sized buddies try to take a plane I'm on with box cutters, it will be a baaad day for you.  I personally don't think they will ever take another plane like that.   People are aware now and will follow the example of the people that brought that plane down in PA.

The next airline attacks will be like the "band" (yeah right that was a band) that dry ran the plane;  it'll be a bomb  assembled mid-air or planted by ground crew that just blows the plane apart.  

I think for the most part "hijacking" has happened for the last time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#46]
In the unlikely event of terrorist activity on a major airliner, use anything of weight to smash in one of the upper stowbin doors on the INSIDE of the door. These are made of graphite fiber but rip fairly easily with an impact. Rip out a chunk of the graphite and wrap some cloth around as a handle and slash away at the terrorist.

Railgun....
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#47]
A Wilderness belt, a large thick magazine like Southern living, a large key ring on a carabeinr (sp)...
none of those could be a weapon
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Does it stay loost?

Nope... just gets a little sloppy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I had this exact conversation with a SEAL buddy.  He always has a fanny pack on him, even in the hospital.  I havent asked what was in there but I thought I saw the outlines of a 226.  But he carries a handful of sharpened #2 pencils when he flies.  I mean a real handful.  He said with good placement you can easily kill someone and you have a lots of ammo.  Stab at ears, eyes, neck etc.  Its become a standing joke with my GF.  I always ask her if she brought her pencils and she freaks out.  LOL.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top