BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Political Correctness is ruining this country.

Yes, yes....and YES!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My flag's staying put at the top of the mast where it belongs. Unless she is a military veteran. If anyone can show me that she was, then I will gladly lower it to half staff.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Guys,
no offense but show some respect.  Mrs. King and Mr. King were influential parts of getting civil rights to where they are today.  

Don't ya love public school .
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys,
no offense but show some respect.  Mrs. King and Mr. King were influential parts of getting civil rights to where they are today.  

What exactly does public school have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If Bill Clinton was in office they would be lowering the flag everytime an Arbys closed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup,ok, so she was married to MLK jr. Ya know, I have a heart and all and am sorry that she lost her husband, really, that would be an awful thing to go through and I'm not without my compassion for her. BUT,when our boys are dieing over in the middle east and around the world,they should be remembered as well! With more honors if I had my way.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys,

If you can't figure it out....then, once again, "don't you love [added hint: the education, ahem, indoctrination you get at] public school".
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys,

If you can't figure it out....then, once again, "don't you love [added hint: the education, ahem, indoctrination you get at] public school".

I still don't get it.  You'd be learning about MLK and Coretta Scott King if you went to private school.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I still don't get it.  You'd be learning about MLK and Coretta Scott King if you went to private school.  

so what dont you get?

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

where does she fit in?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
What did CSK achieve? The only thing I ever remember her doing is being the grieving widow. She made a damn good living out of it, but I can't ever remember anything of consequence comming from anything she ever did.

I've been pissed about the flag thing since they were lowered. She didn"t rate it!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My Grandfathers both contributed more to America during WW2 than Mrs King did in her whole life, did the flag go half staff when they died? No.

ETA: its because she's famous and she is black. Ooooh look at me, the big bad white christian conservative racist.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#12]
It's the magnets, man. (you DO know about the magnets, don't ya?)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I noticed that too on my way to work and thought the same thing.

Putting the flag at half mast may start to lose its meaning I'm afraid, if it hasn't already.

I'll gamble and say that it has, according to this.
She was MLKs wife. NOT MLK himself.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys,

I still don't get it.  You'd be learning indoctrinated about  MLK and Coretta Scott King if you went to private school.  

there.

BTW she does not deserve this type of honor, it cheapens it for those that do.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys,

I still don't get it.  You'd be learning indoctrinated brainwashed about  MLK and Coretta Scott King if you went to private school.  

there.

BTW she does not deserve this type of honor, it cheapens it for those that do.

+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so what dont you get?

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

where does she fit in?

Well, if this is "the rules" and as much as it pains me to say it, she doesn't fit in.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so what dont you get?

where does she fit in?

Well, if this is "the rules" and as much as it pains me to say it, she doesn't fit in.  

And you defended it, like a good Pavlovian-conditioned publik skool kid.  White bad, black good, right?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted: What did CSK achieve?
She achieved a lot of controversy. www.homestead.com/prosites-prs/king.html

Coretta Scott King Scandals
From the LA Times

The King Center has been attacked over the years for a lack of activism, and it struggled financially. In the 1990s it began to run large deficits, and by 2005 it needed $11.6 million in repairs. The future of the center became the subject of an ugly family squabble, with Dexter and Yolanda pushing to sell the institution to the National Park Service over the objections of Martin III and Bernice. Several years earlier the King family had tried to block a National Park Service proposal to open its own exhibit on Rev. King, arguing that it would detract from the family-run center across the street. The Kings and the Park Service eventually resolved their differences, but the dispute tarnished Coretta King's image. Other controversies — such as selling the rights to her husband's "I Have a Dream" speech for use in cell phone commercials while limiting access to his papers by serious scholars and journalists- only sharpened the criticism that King and her family were putting personal profit before public interest. The King estate forced USA Today to pay $1,700 plus legal fees after the newspaper published the text of Rev. King's "I Have a Dream" speech. It also sued CBS for selling a video documentary that made extensive use of the network's own film of King and the march on Washington. After the success of Henry Hampton's widely praised PBS series on the civil rights movement, "Eyes on the Prize," the estate made similar claims that film of King had been used illegally and demanded a licensing fee. The latter dispute was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum. After a deal to sell King's papers to the Library of Congress for $20 million fell through, the King estate arranged with Sotheby's auction house to sell the archives privately, but no satisfactory buyers have been found. Meanwhile, the estate was expected to earn as much as $10 million from a 1997 deal with TimeWarner to release his speeches and writings in various media, including audio and CD-ROMs. A self-professed workaholic who often called staff members late at night, Coretta King never took a salary from the center but supported herself through speaking fees and royalties from her autobiography and her late husband's writings.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top