Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read the first two years ago. Zero fucks given they made Roland a black guy.

And bravo at trying to label me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read every book and I had no idea the gunslinger was black.

Why does it matter if he's white or black?

It doesn't matter but the film/book critics of GD will make it matter.

Have you read the books mr SJW?

I read the first two years ago. Zero fucks given they made Roland a black guy.

And bravo at trying to label me.

It doesn't really change Roland, beyond the fact that it's jarring in that the character has been specifically been described as looking kind of like a mix of Stephen King and Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns. It certainly changes Susannah, in that it screws up her character arc of resolving her past and reconciling her split personality. Is it that big of a deal? I guess that depends on how much you dig her storyline.

There are some other irksome qualities about it, though they are not immediately obvious unless you've really gotten into the story. Roland's appearance is one of many iconic references to American 'mythology': comics, movies, etc. There's Wizard of Oz, Doctor Doom, light sabers, Sneeches, and a ton more. Hell, in the most recent book, he even tips his hat to Game of Thrones, labeling a sudden freezing storm that kills everything in its path a "Starkblast" (because, you know, winter is coming).

Click To View Spoiler

Okay, enough literary analysis for one day.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
1)  After getting lost for a long time in Wikipedia, I have determined that for years I have had this book and The Talisman conflated in my memory.

2)  Given that there has so far only been one good adaptation of a Stephen King book into a movie (Shawshank Redemption)  I wouldn't hold out much hope for this one.

3)  I have a lifetime goal of never visiting Maine.  That state is haunted, I know it's true, I have read a lot of Stephen King books.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you fucking kidding me?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cliff's notes for those who didn't read the series:

The story starts (and ends) with a great line.

In between, there are a few good fantasy and adventure elements,  surrounded by a lot of drivel about New York being the center of the universe.   And lots of story written from the POV of an angry black woman.

And the mythical "dark tower' that looms over the whole story for 5 or 6 books... basically turns out to be nothing at all.

So the producers of this movie really wouldn't have to stoop too low to fuck up the story.
View Quote

So, like most of Stephen King's near constant stream of drivel drool splattering on page after page after page...?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In between, there are a few good fantasy and adventure elements,  surrounded by a lot of drivel about New York being the center of the universe.   And lots of story written from the POV of an angry black woman.

And the mythical "dark tower' that looms over the whole story for 5 or 6 books... basically turns out to be nothing at all.

So the producers of this movie really wouldn't have to stoop too low to fuck up the story.
View Quote

Spoilers...

The tower isn't nothing at all.  There are the beams that hold it and the beam breakers and blah blah blah.  In the end, Roland just doesn't have the right sigal.  It is implied that the next go round he has what he needs, the horn that was lost at the battle of Jericho.  Or something like that, it's been a while.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, like most of Stephen King's near constant stream of drivel drool splattering on page after page after page...?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One could argue if his execution was good, but he certainly tried to do something big with these novels. They are basically his Lord of the Rings. Tolkien wrote LotR to try to capture the mythology of Britain. Kind was trying to do the same for American mythology with the Dark Tower series.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've never seen a black man that had steely blue eyes either.
View Quote

I worked with a black man that had a light brown complextion and blue eyes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'll wait for real people reviews.  Not much faith in this being decent.
View Quote
Me neither!

You cant cram that many books into a 2-3 hour movie.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Funny he doesn't look at all like Eastwood from his spaghetti western days..........which is what King has stated was his inspiration for the character along with the poem.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Maybe they will have Odetta be distrustful of a black man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you had read the book you would know there were actual interactions that relied upon him being white. Such as Odetta which built a relationship that started with distrust of a white man.

Maybe they will have Odetta be distrustful of a black man.
Or maybe they will solve the problem by not having Odetta!

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
A couple of others would be Tom Petty or Dwight Yoakam. But they are too long in the tooth and don't have the acting chops.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd buy into a black Jesus before a black Roland.

Roland being white is as integral to the story as Odetta being black. Finding her center between the 2 extremes she lived in is a major part of the story.

I expect this to be a lot like Starship Troopers. A decent movie bearing no resemblance to the original story.
View Quote

asked and answered...

they just have to say "Odetta sees Roland as a white man" because she is "Crazy"

easy fix
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh c'mon, with as much bitchin that went on in here with The Hobbit apparently most of you guys do care about keeping the book correct. Whose the two faced ones?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

asked and answered...

they just have to say "Odetta sees Roland as a white man" because she is "Crazy"

easy fix
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roland being white is as integral to the story as Odetta being black. Finding her center between the 2 extremes she lived in is a major part of the story.

I expect this to be a lot like Starship Troopers. A decent movie bearing no resemblance to the original story.

asked and answered...

easy fix

Or just write her out. It's not as if the target audience is Dark Tower aficianados.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Funny he doesn't look at all like Eastwood from his spaghetti western days..........which is what King has stated was his inspiration for the character along with the poem.
View Quote

King also shit all over the story with his horrible ending and writing himself into the plot line as a character.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, he looks pretty cool anyways.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or just write her out. It's not as if the target audience is Dark Tower aficianados.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

asked and answered...

easy fix

my solution doesn't change the bulk of one of the books..
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

King also shit all over the story with his horrible ending and writing himself into the plot line as a character.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might be alone in this but for my money King is the most overrated storyteller of modern times.

His oft stated anti gun position might or might not have a influence on me.

Why no one has taken some of the great David Drake story lines to the big screen remains a mystery top me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Spoilers...

The tower isn't nothing at all.  There are the beams that hold it and the beam breakers and blah blah blah.  In the end, Roland just doesn't have the right sigal.  It is implied that the next go round he has what he needs, the horn that was lost at the battle of Jericho.  Or something like that, it's been a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoilers...

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

"I know who I am; I'm a Dude Playing A Dude Disguised as Another Dude"  
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the books, but Roland cant be black the same way last samurai cant be white. Its not the original story. Hollywood version, maybe.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spoilers...

Click To View Spoiler

Damn, that's another reference I missed until now:

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoilers...

Click To View Spoiler
been a long time since I read them, but that's what I got out of them after finishing the series also
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

asked and answered...

easy fix

It appears that is what they did.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoilers...

Click To View Spoiler

That may be.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I might be alone in this but for my money King is the most overrated storyteller of modern times.
View Quote

The Dark Tower series wasn't even really a story per se, but rather a bunch of story ideas thrown together. King set out to write the greatest fantasy epic of all time. How could he surpass Tolkien and other great writers?....  How about we introduce the author as a pivotal character, upon whom the fate of the entire universe rests?  And we'll include a multiverse of sorts, centered around New York and angry black women.... And we gotta include Randall Flagg, because everybody knows he's the Bad Guy. Epic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
1)  After getting lost for a long time in Wikipedia, I have determined that for years I have had this book and The Talisman conflated in my memory.

2)  Given that there has so far only been one good adaptation of a Stephen King book into a movie (Shawshank Redemption)  I wouldn't hold out much hope for this one.

3)  I have a lifetime goal of never visiting Maine.  That state is haunted, I know it's true, I have read a lot of Stephen King books.
View Quote

What about...
The Shining?

Stand By Me?

The Green Mile?

Misery?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy fuck some of you.

There are 977562778940987477748887736673774893993984848848411344 pages of the various Gunslinger novels. Who cares about one vignette or other?

Rejoice that they got a fantastic actor.

Making a white character black is like turning a gunslinger into an archer. It doesn't work. I'd say the same thing if Roland was described as being as dark black as the man from Togo I was at Basic Training with. A white man isn't black, a black man isn't white. Changing the story to try and make it fit film better is one thing, changing the main character's race is nothing but SJW crap at work.

again the only part of the story that requires him to be black is the "Odetta"  story line but that can be fixed that in her "Craziness" she see him as a white man...

I had a friend who was black, with ice green eyes, but not blue.  He was a huge 6'4" punk rock jack-booted security guard of Jamaican heritage.  He would have made for a good action movie character.  A black Terminator.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't know.................Yoakam is a pretty good actor in his own right

Quoted:
A couple of others would be Tom Petty or Dwight Yoakam. But they are too long in the tooth and don't have the acting chops.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]
he should play Bass Reeves.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy fuck some of you.

There are 977562778940987477748887736673774893993984848848411344 pages of the various Gunslinger novels. Who cares about one vignette or other?

Rejoice that they got a fantastic actor.

Making a white character black is like turning a gunslinger into an archer. It doesn't work. I'd say the same thing if Roland was described as being as dark black as the man from Togo I was at Basic Training with. A white man isn't black, a black man isn't white. Changing the story to try and make it fit film better is one thing, changing the main character's race is nothing but SJW crap at work.

again the only part of the story that requires him to be black is the "Odetta"  story line but that can be fixed that in her "Craziness" she see him as a white man...

While blue eyes are rare among blacks, there are some that have them.

Michael Ealy and Vanessa Willians both have blue eyes for instance. Also, Waardenburg syndrome can produce blue eyes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Me neither!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll wait for real people reviews.  Not much faith in this being decent.
Me neither!

It is supposed to be a multi movie franchise, so to speak.

I wonder how they'll treat the "prequel" story that Roland tells his ka-tet the story from the 4th book.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

its 2016 everyone is black
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I like Idris Elba as an actor, but it's beyond stupid that they picked him to be Roland.

In some stories the race of a character isn't touched on and has no bearing on the story.  This isn't one of them.

People can SJW all they want, but I bet they would crow a lot harder if they cast Odetta as a white woman (which I would also have a problem with).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Meh, I'm trying to find a fuck to give. Seems like he'll do well, I don't give a shit if he's a black actor playing a previously white character.

This, however, does have the potential to raise my blood pressure:

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably wasn't.  Neither was Nick Fury or Adam West.  Welcome to P.C. ....
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's social justice that Idris Elba be every action/adventure classic role in film.  You know lets prove how open minded we are by talking up somebody and acting like we don't notice their race or color.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the gunslinger being white is a major plot point with one of the characters.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Because the gunslinger being white is a major plot point with one of the characters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All that matters is we pretend not to notice.  Idris for Bond!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

One could argue if his execution was good, but he certainly tried to do something big with these novels. They are basically his Lord of the Rings. Tolkien wrote LotR to try to capture the mythology of Britain. Kind was trying to do the same for American mythology with the Dark Tower series.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought "The Stand" was his LOT rip-off?  Am I getting my Stephen King rip-offs confused?  Dude is the Led Zeppelin of literature .....
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Meh, if Mannerheim can become black, anyone can.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Ugh, I mean he was pretty clearly Clint Eastwood from his western movie days. King even said as much. Ideally he would play Roland, but I get it, he's way past due. I've always said his son Scott Eastwood would be a great Roland, besides being the spitting image of his sad, he also has a background in western films.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell man his whole look is off his clothes are way too clean.
I really hope he's wearing something like that for a flashback or something
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Spoilers...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spoilers...

Twinbrains can't melt magic beams.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Idris would probably have been a pretty good Bond.

Better than Timothy Dalton or Roger Moore, for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All that matters is we pretend not to notice.  Idris for Bond!!!!!!

Idris would probably have been a pretty good Bond.

Better than Timothy Dalton or Roger Moore, for sure.
We respectfully disagree.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ummm... The Green Mile?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Article says Matthew McConnoughy was cast as the walking man. That sounds perfect.

I always pictured the gun slinger as a Clint Eastwood archetype. However, Idris Elba is a good actor.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I think they should have got Gay Spock or Khan Crumblesnosh to play Roland, and Elba to play Martin.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top