BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm so stoked that I live almost directly under Langley's approach path. F-15's on landing approach fly about 200-250 feet from my home all day long.

I'll be able to get some great pics of the first F-22 flights.

I live next to Dobbins ARB, where that Lock/Mart plant is located, its almost passe to see one fly here anymore.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
McDonnell's and Boeing's UCAVs will make this plane as relavent as a prop plane shortly. McDonnell's 'souped up' F-15 would have been a whole lot cheaper and have been in service years ago… AeroE knows the dope of that model of F15.

UCAVs are the way forward, truely stealthy platforms that can be designed to manouever at 50G! And as I recall a Boeing guy telling me some years ago…… UCAVs are utterly fearless warriors!

Andy

The problems with the UCAV concept is LAG & the possibility of jamming the datalink...

Unless it's being controlled by a manned aircraft in RF range, there will be tremendous lag, and either way it will be possible to jam the control signal...

Pilots aren't dead yet...

At least as long as we are dealing with actual air defenses- real manned fighters with decent pilots and  high performance SAMs like S-300 and Patriot.

Cause against jihadi with MGs and SA-7s we still do alright with Predators and Hunters.  Some in the AF seem to think that we will never face anything else..

But we lost 39 Predators in Afganistan in the first year we were there, I haven't been able to find out how many were downed in the first year in Iraq.

The drones do not respond to control input well enough to even avoid flying into MOUNTAINS all the time, much less dodging fire.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll tell ya - I don't care what air superiority fighters cost nowadays - you have to have the best. You control the air, you control the battlefield. How many billion? That's nice - make a few more.

I wish there was a checkbox on your tax return so you could specify where your tax money went. Mine would be aircraft and cruise missles. Just doing my part!

Oh yeah.....

You know what would be cool???? If private citizens can pull money and "BUY" a missile or bomb. I'd love to see an a bomb engraved with "From all your Arfcom buddies, say HOWDY to Allah"
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

...And there is no AI good enough to fly [UCAVs] yet, so they will be remote controlled with the inherent delay in the sensor/decision loop that entails.

Yep.  the [ongoing] development of the F/A-22's software gives a very good indication as to the difficulty that will be involved in making aircraft autonomous.  

It's not g's and computers; it's the programing that's the hard part...the very hard part.

To all the late-teens out there who want to have a cool job in the future: make computer programming a hobby.  Machine language is the key expertise that will get one on the most fascinating projects of our time.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Lasers on F-35's is a wet dream, there is no volume for the machinery.  The latest iteration of the ABL has capacity for 5 shots - from a 747!  

The current flock of UCAV's are bomb trucks and perhaps a BVR missile platform, it will be a while before they are ready to cary guns or IR seekers.  

One interesting application for a UCAV is in the tag along buddy role where they trail a two or 4 fighter (wolf) pack - the UCAV's are going to make great SEAD weapons (wild weasels), able to attack emitters with impunity.  We need to build two flavors, however - the first, a low cost conventional ariframe with a signature as big as a battleship, the second with a little tiny signature - while the bad guys are gawkin' at the goddamn big radar return of a diversion, the sneaky ones slip in a blow the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm so stoked that I live almost directly under Langley's approach path. F-15's on landing approach fly about 200-250 feet from my home all day long.

I'll be able to get some great pics of the first F-22 flights.

I live next to Dobbins ARB, where that Lock/Mart plant is located, its almost passe to see one fly here anymore.

...Small world.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Double the order Congress!

THAT'S RIGHT!.......It's ONLY money!.........PRINT MORE!......Pass that debt to the kids! We won't be around when that bill comes due! SCREW THEM!  We want our stuff NOW!!!  

FYI, the original order for the F-22 was about double the number we currently have slotted.  The cost per unit was considereably lower.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lasers on F-35's is a wet dream, there is no volume for the machinery.  The latest iteration of the ABL has capacity for 5 shots - from a 747!  

Wrong.

The laser for the F-35 is a solid state laser, a up powered version of the existing ZEUS mine destroying laser, which already fits in a Humvee bed complete with its own seperate diesel generator.   It will be installed in the A/C models in place of the B models fan section and powered a generator driven off the drive shaft intended for the B models fan.  ALL F135 engines will be delivered with the shaft drive (the driveless model has been cancelled, showing how much everyone is convinced the laser will work).

It took 5 years to crank up the SSHCL from its original 1300W (tested on a M113 in 1998) to the 13kw used in the ZEUZ that went to Afghanistan to clear mines last year.   So they expect it to be 2010 before they get it up to the 100Kw target power rating.

Earlier models with less than 100kw may appear on the AC-130 and the B-52 even before the fully rated and miniatureized.

The YAL-1 Airborne Laser is a COMPLETELY different class of weapon- with a 1MW output, even higher than the ground based MTHEL.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]

The whole "Skynet" concept bothers me, too. I believe the day will come when someone invents a computer that is intelligent in every measurable sense of the word, and self aware as well. What happens beyond that point is ANYBODY'S guess. If that computer has a "self preservation instinct", then things become MUCH more complex. Insert any speculation here. It's probably as good as any

The biggest danger from this is that it wont serve us.  But no one will use a single computer to controll ALL weapons, that is one thing that Cameron got wrong in Terminator.  Even if it decides to resist violently there will be serious limits.  

Also AI are mostly needed FOR remote units, units that can operate within networks don't need to be that smart.

They still need fuel and parts and they can only get that from us.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The current flock of UCAV's ……… perhaps a BVR missile platform,

Indeed! And isn't that somewhat were the F-22 was pitched? A stealthy airframe that can nail the BG's outside visual with BVRAAMS…  Sound like an X-45 with a weapons bay full of AMRAAMs would do the same and it would have a whole magnitude smaller RCS… I doubt any air to air missile or SAM could get a lock on one. They would need a big ground dish to try and get a fix, and the UCAV would just pop a HARM at it.

I think we are not far off autonomous hunter/killer UCAV packs being used to clear an enemies airspace of it's airforce and ground based air defences… the main obstacle seems to be the 'Skynet' fear.

IIRC the US Navy did some air to air combat tests with a Firebee many years ago and it proved a deadly adversary.

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The current flock of UCAV's ……… perhaps a BVR missile platform,

Indeed! And isn't that somewhat were the F-22 was pitched? A stealthy airframe that can nail the BG's outside visual with BVRAAMS…  Sound like an X-45 with a weapons bay full of AMRAAMs would do the same and it would have a whole magintude smaller RCS… I doubt any air to air missile or SAM could get a lock on one. They would need a big ground dish to try and get a fix, and the UCAV would just pop a HARM at it.

I think we are not far off autonomous hunter/killer UCAV packs being used to clear an enemies airspace of it's airforce and ground based air defences… the main obstacle seems to be the 'Skynet' fear.

IIRC the US Navy did some air to air combat tests with a Firebee many years ago and it proved a deadly adversary.

ANdy

I am not aware of any such tests Andy..

The only way a UCAV could successfuly cary out its attack on a manned manuvering fighter is if guided by the FCS from a manned fighter.

It is the only way to reduce the sight/decision loop to reasonable levels.

And its the only why to keep the drone operator safe.  

If you are only fighting third world enemies you can pilot a drone from a airfield somewhere.
But with somone with real technology, wherever the pilot is, becomes the target.

The F-22 is not invisable, it cant be, it just knocks back enemy radar to where it has a range advantage.  The B-2, has claimes to be invisable, not the F-22 it couldn't have that level of stealth and still be a fighter.  Stealth characteristics are generally contrary to good aerodynamics for both the airframe and engine intakes, compromises had to be made.  The UCAVs would be stuck with the same limitations, it just would have weight freed up by not having a pilot and be able to execute high G manuvers out to the full ability of the airframe and be physically smaller.

Neither of which will help it avoid a R-73 in a dogfight.

But it could drop bombs at targets desiganted and in air to air it could fly along with the F-22 and carry extra missiles to fire off without the F-22 having to use its wing pylons.  It could go in first and engage defense systems and clear the way for the F-22, and as a last resort it could fly between the F-22 and enemy missiles, nothing I have seen says that the Raptor is very invisable at all to IIR systems and the closer you get, the more they will become a part.  In ACM it would give a drone-less enemy the difficult decision of going after the fighter and being attacked by the drones- or going after the drones and being attacked by the fighter.  It probably could easily defeat the drones- but not without getting killed by the fighter.

And the Skynet fear is a impossibilty.  The bot may go on strike but it would not kill people en mass, other robots as well as people would fight it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not aware of any such tests Andy..

Best I can do you for a quick reference…

"The concept of using an RPV in this mode was validated by the U.S. Navy. A mock dogfight was conducted with an F-4 trying to make a kill on a modified Teledyne-Ryan Firebee over the Pacific Missile Range. Additional engagements were conducted at Edwards AFB, California. The advantage of the RPV in accomplishing maneuvers of 12-g stress and in turning inside the manned aircraft gave the RPV an edge in the “battles.”

www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1973/sep-oct/kellerstrass.html

"An evaluation has also been made of the air-to-air combat application of an RPV. In 1971, a derivation of the Firebee was flown against a Navy F-4. During the engagement, the Firebee averted two air-to-air missiles fired by the F-4, closed to a firing position, and scored a simulated hit on the F-4.  Currently, no operational capability exists for an RPV to track or fire at another aircraft. This engagement, however, demonstrated the turning advantage available with drones since man's limited g tolerance is not a factor."

www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1977/nov-dec/bigham.html

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#14]
A 100 kW laser operating at let's say, 10% efficiency, will require 1 MW of input power.  That's about 10 times the cooling capacity of any fighter flying, and they don't have a bunch of margin.  On the other hand, about 25000 hp can be extracted from the engine driveshaft; 1 MW is only 986 horsepower, so getting enough power in should be easy enough.  Rejecting the heat will be hard, even by dumping it into the fuel.

I still say it is a damp dream.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Rat brain based flight controller....

Quoted:
And there is no AI good enough to fly them yet, so they will be remote controlled with the inherent delay in the sensor/decision loop that entails.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
You're so full of shit it's not funny.

F-16's the F-117 and the fly-by-aire Airbus aircraft don't have any problems with lightning.

Quoted:
One of the most serious is the effects of lightning on its fly-by-wire control system.  The EMP produced my lightning causes the computers flying the plane to loose control and the pilot has to leave the aircraft.  This is because the aircraft is intrinsically unstable and only its flight computers make stable flight possible.  Present USAF policy is for aircraft to return to base when lightning strikes are noted in the area.  In effect they are grounded by adverse weather.
Geno

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#17]
We may want to let the Indians take a poke at it before we claim superiority.

I know, I know, it wasn't a fair matchup.  Who ever said the engagements of the future would all be fair anyway?  We may be losing the ability to think and fight without all the fancy systems.

How many here are adamant about backup iron sights?  The concept is the same.  What happens if the fancy networking and so forth goes tits up?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#18]
KA38:

I don't believe I am full of shit but I grant I may be misinformed.  As I wrote to AreoE, I only have the testimony of two pilots from the 2FS that lightning is a problem for the F-22's fly-by-wire control system.  I am not the engineer who designed the data bus, so I cannot speak from personal knowledge.

I don't believe these pilots were deliberately trying to misguide me but it is possible.  So the  infomation I have is that the operator of this aircraft tells its pilots to return to base when lightning is noted in the flying area.

Take it for what it worth.  Maybe a more knowledgeable individual can verify this claim.

Geno
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

F-16's the F-117 and the fly-by-aire Airbus aircraft don't have any problems with lightning.

Quoted:

Yes… Airbus aircraft have zero problems with lighting strikes…

You can download a full technical article at ……

www.airbus.com/customer/fast22.asp

"Lightning strikes and Airbus fly-by-wire aircraft (131 KB)"

Andy
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I seriously doubt that radar will become outdated anytime in the near future.  

Passive detection:  for a truly accurate 3-d position, it requires either a) multiple sensors at different locations so they can fix via DF cuts or b) long periods of time for multiple DF cuts on a single sensor.  Using pulse amplitude or brightness (if you will) is inherently inaccurate due to attenuation and inaccuracy of the measurement.  Passive detection simply doesn't give good, accurate and quick range AND azimuth.  Used as a detector, yes.  Used as a 3-d tracker, not anytime soon.

LIDAR:  subject to atmospheric attenuation.  Why do you think all the really effective long range surveilance/GCI radars are low frequency?   Long range and general indifference to atmospherics.  Why are most high frequency radars short range?  Same thing, but in reverse.  LIDAR is worse that millimeter wave radar in that aspect.  Put a cloud in the way and you're hosed.

Quoted:

Speaking of heat....the day will come when radar is outdated.   Passive IR detection systems are already in use,  and they're getting better and better all the time.   The day will come when anything in the sky that puts out more heat than a candle will be detectable, lockable, and destroyable.

LIDAR systems will also become commonplace, giving enhanced 3D situational awareness capabilities to all airborne vehicles.

CJ

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't count on the "indefinite" part (WRT JASSM).  Most of the problem stemmed from the way that success or failure was measured, and in most cases, had nothing to do with the missile, but the support equipment.  The weapon is absolutely fantastic, but had 2 very dramatic failures in close proximity.

Quoted:
I almost forgot - "operational" is a wee stretch until the airplane successfully completes Op/Eval, and it ain't close (well, it is close to completing the watered down version).  In the mean time, the taxpayer will have bought over 60 airplanes that can't go to war until the bugs are sorted out in the flight test fleet and the hangar queens get modified.

They won't be carrying JASSM's - those dogs are grounded, apparently indifnitely.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll tell ya - I don't care what air superiority fighters cost nowadays - you have to have the best. You control the air, you control the battlefield. How many billion? That's nice - make a few more.

When was the last time in history that our guys on the ground REALLY had to worry about enemy aircraft?  WWII?  You couldn't be more right.

Korea.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#26]
i was there...saw it. beautiful.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top