BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This after Vietnam the media saw calling them baby killers to further their cause.

the Gulf they just plain ignoring them.

now they are heroic victims in this terrible war on brown people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Local media is giving away free signs for all combat veterans to warn of the use of fireworks...

If I had a neighbor that was like this, I would take them shooting and try and work the PTSD out of them, since apparently they aren't getting the help they want or need already.

What's arfcoms opinion on this?

Gimme attention

This after Vietnam the media saw calling them baby killers to further their cause.

the Gulf they just plain ignoring them.

now they are heroic victims in this terrible war on brown people.

They're only heroic if they are female, a soldier/marine with a MOH, in the airforce, or a navy seal who gets other people killed.

Everyone else is a dirty rapey haliburton blood oil robot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think it's attention whoring. I spent 9yrs deployed in the GWOT between the Corps and contracting and I think it's absolute bullshit.  

You know how you confront PTSD issues with fireworks? you got outside and watch them. Don't sit in your house trying to watch TV. If you think "It's fireworks" then look at the sky and see them.... you're fine.
View Quote

Thank you for your service and common sense.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Special snowflake syndrome combined with veterans as victims narrative.

I didn't go to war to ensure people had to ask permission to celebrate independence day.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

this right here
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah,  attention seekers.  I want nothing to do with those signs.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
We did this thread a week or so back.

Meh, fuck em.  I love to let off a metric shit ton of fireworks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
There is too much, "Boo fucking hoo, poor me!" going on in our Country.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wait until these folks get used to their new standard of living.

Total Living GWOT Veterans:  1,847,047
Total who have filed disability claims:  914,193
Total who have been awarded disability benefits:  810,307
Total claims denied: 15,105
Pending claims:  168,702

GWOT is at around 50k WIA since 9/11
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
US Veterans are the next up and coming "Everything effects and offends me" group.

Must be generational.

Yep. The new victim class.

Not doubting your numbers in any shape, form, or fashion. What's the source?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
US Veterans are the next up and coming "Everything effects and offends me" group.

Must be generational.

source
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I didn't go to war to ensure people had to ask permission to celebrate independence day.

View Quote

And we are finished.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My oldest daughter is an Iraq War vet, and she gets a little wigged-out by fireworks. It's not the big commercial-grade ones that bother her, it's the small ones up close, usually accompanied by little brown people running around(there are a lot of Hispanic children in her neighborhood), that do it. She's slowly getting better about it, but not long after she got back, I got a phone call from her... Calling from her bedroom closet. All she needed was Papa's voice telling her that everything was going to be alright.

I always feel calmer when I see small brown people running around.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

source
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]
This will be an unpopular thought but a lot of my fellow veterans are being just as whiny as the liberals we all make fun of.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This will be an unpopular thought but a lot of my fellow veterans are being just as whiny as the liberals we all make fun of.
View Quote

As a veteran, I take great offense to that remark. How dare you call me out! I fought for my country!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

in my experience a projectile traveling over your head does not sound like a fire cracker (not combat experience, someone shot several rounds at me while hunting) It was a whistling sound
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never been in the military or combat, and am very appreciative of those that have served.  I have been working the pits at a number of rifle matches and can see how firecrackers could sound like incoming fire.

The snap of a .223 round coming over head does sound a lot like a small fire cracker going off.   I guess that could trigger some involuntary responses, especially if someone wasn't expecting it or had a particularly traumatic experience.

IMHO, shooting off fireworks is a deep rooted tradition in this country, and is part of what these brave men and women fought for.  I think if I was in their shoes I'd probably find something else to do around the 4th to try not to inconvenience the rest of the neighbors around me.

in my experience a projectile traveling over your head does not sound like a fire cracker (not combat experience, someone shot several rounds at me while hunting) It was a whistling sound

Unless they were shooting a rocket at you, No,  SNAP!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree most are just seeking attention. I've seen my fair share of combat during OIF but I don't have PTSD. When I hear fireworks or helicopters flying, it makes me think "Hm, almost sounds like Iraq."
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#16]
My girlfriend's husband fights for your freedom!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be generational.

I bet Couch Commando wishes he could quote you on this.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#18]
If PTSD is so prevalent with current military guys, how did veterans of wars past ever survive?

How did someone ever dust themselves off the beach of Normandy and go on to live a normal, productive civilian life?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#19]
You only got snakes and sparklers??!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'll post a video from the pit if i can find it.   Never once have I heard a whistle,  just the snap.  Hundreds of rounds over my head, if not thousands in a match environment.

This was a video from my first match in the pits at Camp Perry.   This was I think the M16 EIC match, so these are 5.56 bullets coming in overhead.   The snaps are the bullets and sounded like someone lit off one of those 1000rd firecracker chains in the pits right next to us.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/jblomenberg16/th_VIDEO0023.mp4

http://vid221.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/jblomenberg16/VIDEO0023.mp4
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never been in the military or combat, and am very appreciative of those that have served.  I have been working the pits at a number of rifle matches and can see how firecrackers could sound like incoming fire.

The snap of a .223 round coming over head does sound a lot like a small fire cracker going off.   I guess that could trigger some involuntary responses, especially if someone wasn't expecting it or had a particularly traumatic experience.

IMHO, shooting off fireworks is a deep rooted tradition in this country, and is part of what these brave men and women fought for.  I think if I was in their shoes I'd probably find something else to do around the 4th to try not to inconvenience the rest of the neighbors around me.

I'll post a video from the pit if i can find it.   Never once have I heard a whistle,  just the snap.  Hundreds of rounds over my head, if not thousands in a match environment.

This was a video from my first match in the pits at Camp Perry.   This was I think the M16 EIC match, so these are 5.56 bullets coming in overhead.   The snaps are the bullets and sounded like someone lit off one of those 1000rd firecracker chains in the pits right next to us.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/jblomenberg16/th_VIDEO0023.mp4

That loud pop that sounds like a blackcat is the rounds impacting.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm certainly no attention whoring snowflake and enjoy fireworks. But if something unexpectedly goes boom, then yeah I freak. Mortar barrages and rocket attacks affect everyone differently.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I grew up around WWII, Korean War and Vietnam Vets

Not once ever did I hear any vet say they didn't like fireworks or gunshots.

More like the exact opposite.

These threads here on arfcom are the very first I've ever heard of it.

Also, FYI, the WWII guys called a magazine a "clip".

I grew up calling my 22 mag a clip.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
{furiously takes notes for VA physical this week.}
View Quote

Get that 100%.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My oldest daughter is an Iraq War vet, and she gets a little wigged-out by fireworks. It's not the big commercial-grade ones that bother her, it's the small ones up close, usually accompanied by little brown people running around(there are a lot of Hispanic children in her neighborhood), that do it. She's slowly getting better about it, but not long after she got back, I got a phone call from her... Calling from her bedroom closet. All she needed was Papa's voice telling her that everything was going to be alright.

I've seen things man......once, on the FOB the DFAC ran out of chocolate ice cream....only had vanilla.

Yeah,
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You only got snakes and sparklers??!!
View Quote

Like I said....the good stuff
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a brilliant plan to further degrade the holiday.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#27]
If you really want PTSD, let a Gunnery Sgt catch you washing your flight suit or FROG suit in the showers while taking yma shower, while on limited non-potable water supply.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Iraq war veteran.

I don't like the signs, I agree with it being part of the Victim card with a special blend of I'm a special snowflake.

I also thinks it helps perpetuate the "Vets are psychos that become unhinged from loud noises or some other type of trigger" mythos that we see in society today.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#29]
If a GWOT veteran with PTSD had a fireworks stand:

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've seen things man......once, on the FOB the DFAC ran out of chocolate ice cream....only had vanilla.

Yeah,
View Quote

That's rough, brother.

One time, we had a dust storm last for almost three days. There were no AAFES convoys running, so the only vegetables Subway had by the second day were tomatoes. It was terrible.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude the shit blowing up is about as a comforting sound as it gets. because if  you can hear it it means it missed your ass.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If PTSD is so prevalent with current military guys, how did veterans of wars past ever survive?

How did someone ever dust themselves off the beach of Normandy and go on to live a normal, productive civilian life?
View Quote

Whiskey

Veterans have always been negatively affected by the psychological trauma of war. Back in the day they were more stoic about it, bottled that shit up, self medicated, and tried to act like men. Nowadays, veterans are told at the eleventy billion PTSD briefs we attend before and after deployment that we have to talk about our feelings and not bottle it up, to seek help, etc. Which means anyone with any issues has to let everyone around them know they have triggers. Instead of booze, its Zoloft and Prozac and Xanax.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I am an Iraq war vet, and I do not do fireworks.  But no sign for me.  I just stay at home, and listen to my music with headphones or the night.  But I do not begrudge others their fun.

I do not "snap."  I do get more anxious, shorter temper, and more "jumpy." I prefer not to make my wife and daughter have to deal with me like that.

I do start out a bit more jumpy at a shooting range, but quickly settle out of it.  I guess it is just the environment; at a shooting range, the gunshots are expected.  in the neighborhood, they are not- July 4th, or not.  My Lizard brain does not do holidays.  It sees what environment I am in: neighborhood, no explosions expected.  range, gunshots expected.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Whiskey

Veterans have always been negatively affected by the psychological trauma of war. Back in the day they were more stoic about it, bottled that shit up, self medicated, and tried to act like men. Nowadays, veterans are told at the eleventy billion PTSD briefs we attend before and after deployment that we have to talk about our feelings and not bottle it up, to seek help, etc. Which means anyone with any issues has to let everyone around them know they have triggers. Instead of booze, its Zoloft and Prozac and Xanax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whiskey

also they got to beat their wives and kids, you go to jail now for that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am an Iraq war vet, and I do not do fireworks.  But no sign for me.  I just stay at home, and listen to my music with headphones or the night.  But I do not begrudge others their fun.

I do not "snap."  I do get more anxious, shorter temper, and more "jumpy." I prefer not to make my wife and daughter have to deal with me like that.

I do start out a bit more jumpy at a shooting range, but quickly settle out of it.  I guess it is just the environment; at a shooting range, the gunshots are expected.  in the neighborhood, they are not- July 4th, or not.  My Lizard brain does not do holidays.  It sees what environment I am in: neighborhood, no explosions expected.  range, gunshots expected.
View Quote

From what I've heard, one of the better treatments of PTSD is to immerse yourself in the environment that triggers your anxiety but in a controlled way (not actually threatening) and to surround yourself with positive factors. Don't like crowds because of fear of suicide bombers? Go to a concert, have fun, and get a blowjob. Don't like explosions because of IEDs? Go to fireworks hammered on booze with friends, watch the pretty lights, and work through that shit. Gunfire fucks you up? Go to a gun range and just hang out all day doing normal shit, eat lunch, read a good book . Eventually your brain will stop associating those effects with negative thoughts.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

<a href="http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/jblomenberg16/VIDEO0023.mp4" target="_blank">http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/jblomenberg16/th_VIDEO0023.mp4</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/jblomenberg16/VIDEO0023.mp4" target="_blank">http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/jblomenberg16/th_VIDEO0023.mp4</a>

Sometimes a ricochet can sound like a high pitched whirring sound. Maybe that's what he heard.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#38]
A loud bang scared me once after my first tour of duty in Afghan...I reached for a rifle that wasn't there....then I realized I was in America....at a McDonald's drive through....called myself an idiot and moved on. Haven't had issues since, even with three other deployments back to Afghan and Iraq.... Some people adjust easier than others. With that being said I wouldn't go out of my way to make sure every sweetheart in my neighborhood is okay with fireworks on the fourth of July.... Fuck em. They've had notice all year.

Controlled dets, 4 days.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

From what I've heard, one of the better treatments of PTSD is to immerse yourself in the environment that triggers your anxiety but in a controlled way (not actually threatening) and to surround yourself with positive factors. D

View Quote

This is called prolonged exposure therapy, and it is one of the two evidence based practices the VA uses to treat PTSD (the other being cognitive behavioral therapy).
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Whiskey

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whiskey

I could get free drugs for life, legally?

This just keeps getting better and better.

Good thing my wife is such an avid firearms collector.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I would try to be considerate of their condition since I am not an asshole
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

My grandad was at Normandy and ended up having a family and good, normal life.  His life was hard before he even went to war though. He was working in coal and zinc mines as a kid and saw some pretty rough times. I think that generation was just made out of tougher metal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#43]
My german shepherd has ptsd pretty bad on the fourth of july.  A good family friend who was an Arp in Vietnam, as well as a door-gunner at one point, always celebrated the 4th with us by mag dumping his Colt Commando on FA after dark.  Followed by devilish laughter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
From what I've heard, one of the better treatments of PTSD is to immerse yourself in the environment that triggers your anxiety but in a controlled way (not actually threatening) and to surround yourself with positive factors. Don't like crowds because of fear of suicide bombers? Go to a concert, have fun, and get a blowjob. Don't like explosions because of IEDs? Go to fireworks hammered on booze with friends, watch the pretty lights, and work through that shit. Gunfire fucks you up? Go to a gun range and just hang out all day doing normal shit, eat lunch, read a good book . Eventually your brain will stop associating those effects with negative thoughts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is another called CBT that is an absolute bitch to get through.  But it sure beats going to Alcohol rehab.

And it is only unexpected noises that cause me to jump.  Anybody should be able to watch fireworks on the 4th.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your experience sounds a lot like my daughter's, and she is most definitely NOT an attention whore. We can shoot at the range all day without problems, aNd she can watch the big boomers downtown without problems. Her son keeps her busy, and time is also helping her with her issues.

I guess it's too bad I didn't raise a hairy-chested Tier One Operator, like some of y'all here. My little girl volunteered to go, did her duty, and is dealing with her issues, now that she's out. She would NEVER put a sign like that in her yard, nor beg the government for a service dog, either. But if she did, she would certainly keep it from pooping in her neighbor's yard.

Did I cover them all?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
That's rough, brother.

One time, we had a dust storm last for almost three days. There were no AAFES convoys running, so the only vegetables Subway had by the second day were tomatoes. It was terrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah,

That's rough, brother.

Our DFAC overcooked the lobster for Christmas dinner
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Pics of sign? WTF does it say? I volunteered for PTSD?

Dad was a Vietnam vet. He dove under a table at a wedding once. Apparently a folding chair falling over sounds just like a mortar hitting the tube.

He screamed at me once for smashing a whole roll of caps with a rock outside the window he was sitting in front of.

Well, it looked like he was screaming. All I heard EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Can't really see him flying a sign though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be generational.

Unless you have numbers for previous generations you're kinda talking out of your ass. Keep in mind vets these days are better informed than previous generations ever were about the VA. And you're hearing about them more mainly because of our interconnected world. Back in the day an asshole hitching about fireworks in a neighborhood in Wisconsin was just a neighborhood asshole. Today, they're a social media attraction.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Just the beginning steps towards destroying another Cornerstone of America.
Give it a decade or two and shooting fireworks on the fourth of july will be completely banned so as to not trigger or offend anyone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is called prolonged exposure therapy, and it is one of the two evidence based practices the VA uses to treat PTSD (the other being cognitive behavioral therapy).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've heard, one of the better treatments of PTSD is to immerse yourself in the environment that triggers your anxiety but in a controlled way (not actually threatening) and to surround yourself with positive factors. D

Does the VA do a good job with this? From the medical treatments I got for them, I'd never see them about anything more important.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top