BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:51:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gonna need pics of your feet before i can from an opinion.
View Quote
I was gonna ask for pix of his camera....

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#2]
My FIL is the same after seeing my collection in Hungary.

He introduces me as my son in law who plans everyday to go to war.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

what does a "warrior mentality" have to do with believing it's ok for non mil to own "military style" guns? The military is rampant with an elitist attitude over civilians, and this is just an example of how some schmuck thinks he's more entitled to something because of his former employment.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because someone is a veteran doesn't mean they are a conservative or not a douchebag. I know plenty of guys that came back and turned their swords into plowshares and do not continue to live with a warrior mentality.

what does a "warrior mentality" have to do with believing it's ok for non mil to own "military style" guns? The military is rampant with an elitist attitude over civilians, and this is just an example of how some schmuck thinks he's more entitled to something because of his former employment.

ran into that tonight.  cop and ex mil and definitely got that vibe from him.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

My FIL is the same after seeing my collection in Hungary.

He introduces me as my son in law who plans everyday to go to war.

View Quote
I would just own that and say " yup, and today might just be the day. "

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
#1 What's this fascination with "man caves" sounds like "club house"?  Must be the place the wife sends them when they've been bad.  
#2 My dad is 81 and acts the same way about my gun collection, The old Mausers, the 03A3 and Garand are cool but why do I need an M1A or an AR.
#3 Tell Pops you have the M1A to protect his little girl from the mindless masses when the ___________ happens.  (fill in the blank with whatever crisis suits you)
#4 It's America.
#5 Tell Pops Thanks for his service from the rest of us.

Semper Fi,
Old Marine
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because someone is a veteran doesn't mean they are a conservative or not a douchebag. I know plenty of guys that came back and turned their swords into plowshares and do not continue to live with a warrior mentality.

What town?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:02:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What town?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What town?

Anytown, USA.

They're everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]
He's just mad you're having sex with his daughter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#9]
He might be a warrior, but he sounds like a statist. For a guy who spent 5 years of his life training and advising indigenous people to fight an oppressor, he seems like he might have missed the point.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]
All that over an M1A?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

There are A-Holes in every profession.  The military is no exception.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He might be a warrior, but he sounds like a statist. For a guy who spent 5 years of his life training and advising indigenous people to fight an oppressor, he seems like he might have missed the point.
View Quote

A solid hit in the 10 ring.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Pop, what is this 'need' thing?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
"If you think that's weird, you should hear some of the stuff I do to your daughter!"
View Quote

...with a dremel.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In fact I have met plenty of guys that claim to have been high speed and when I put a gun in their hands they can't even shoot and then act like its a hot iky potato
View Quote

Nailed it.  

Not everyone who serves loves freedom.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I will say this dude,you got a pair. Bringing up the ex-wife to the current one is ballsy. Thank the FIL for his service and call it a day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#17]
My father in law gave me shit until he asked me to find him a glock to concealed carry. Asked him what caliber he wanted, went to the safe and pulled out a G26 and gave it to him.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#18]
need pics of FIL
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Low post count shenanigans.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I work with one of those types.  He did four years in the Army just after Vietnam was over with.  He brags about his life as an Army Ranger, but he also lets it be known he joined up when he was much older after the Vietnam Conflict was done and over with.  Hmmmm.....wonder why that is???  He also feels that joe citizen has no business owning "Military Style Weapons" and that the 2nd is about hunting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Where in the United States is there rampant  crime for nine months, and then three months without any?

Sounds like an odd schedule...........
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Start Calling  him Jim zumbo
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#23]
which prompts me to say " my first wife said that same shit"

I love you man.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#24]
In before "your wife looks like a bitch"

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where in the United States is there rampant  crime for nine months, and then three months without any?

View Quote

Ohio. The snow keeps the shitheads inside
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok a white fluffy carpeted floor and a hunting rifle do not make it a man cave...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anywhere it's cold in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

... And I am. FIL is a warrior. Almost 5 years in SEAsia as a green beret and has the medals to prove it.  He's almost 80 years old and he's still a stud. So the wife takes him into my Man Cave and he sees my M1A out where I'm installing a painted stock. I have boxes of ammo out along with my plates along with my punches and the dreaded dremel. Of course, because I know him well, he says "I don't understand why people have those kind of weapons unless they're in the military". I remind the wife that he lives in another country 9 months out of the year because of the crime rate in the USA.  Of course the wife then begins to question some of the things I do, which prompts me to say " my first wife said that same shit".  You can can guess how the evening turned out.

While I'm a bubba at heart, I provide a good living for my family so it pisses me off beyond words for her or anyone else to question what I do for me to feel pseudo free. Thanks for allowing me to vent. Another Tito's and tonic and I'll probably feel good enough to say "aww, fuck it".

View Quote

I have to say, you just dug yourself a pretty damn deep ditch with "my first wife said that same shit" and if in subsequent discussions you try to pull out the old "I provide a good living for my family", you may just be back filling yourself into that ditch.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Several of my friends have no problem saying that they think I killed her. I didn't, but of course I'd be expected to say that.  I think my wife may have a lingering doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"My first wife said the same shit".

I've been married three times.

1st wife, rough divorce. We get along fine now.

2nd, dead under questionable circumstances.

3rd, still happily together, and judges her actions based on whether I say "my 1st wife said/did the same shit" or "my 2nd wife said/did the same shit".

Is Wife #3 under the impression that Wife #2's questionable demise may not have been a uh... how shall we say... accident?

Several of my friends have no problem saying that they think I killed her. I didn't, but of course I'd be expected to say that.  I think my wife may have a lingering doubt.

Damn.  This sounds like a 1980s movie of the week.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
... And I am. FIL is a warrior. Almost 5 years in SEAsia as a green beret and has the medals to prove it.  He's almost 80 years old and he's still a stud. So the wife takes him into my Man Cave and he sees my M1A out where I'm installing a painted stock. I have boxes of ammo out along with my plates along with my punches and the dreaded dremel. Of course, because I know him well, he says "I don't understand why people have those kind of weapons unless they're in the military". I remind the wife that he lives in another country 9 months out of the year because of the crime rate in the USA.  Of course the wife then begins to question some of the things I do, which prompts me to say " my first wife said that same shit".  You can can guess how the evening turned out.

While I'm a bubba at heart, I provide a good living for my family so it pisses me off beyond words for her or anyone else to question what I do for me to feel pseudo free. Thanks for allowing me to vent. Another Tito's and tonic and I'll probably feel good enough to say "aww, fuck it".
View Quote

In Southeast Asia, we'd call this kinda thing...bad karma

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I can only imagine what my family would think if they saw my ammo supply much less the stuff in the safe.
Funny how people think military type wepons are more deadly than a hunting rifle.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#32]
does he know Wesley Clark? cause it sounds like it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was shooting Division Intra-murals at Camp LeJeune around 1988 or 89 and was discussing AK/AR's with a Captain.

He told me point blank civilians shouldn't be allowed to own them.

I had my FFL at the time and was selling them, so I was taken aback, but remained quiet.

It was the first time I recall hearing that from a Marine, but I also wasn't having that conversation on a frequent basis before or afterward.

Ironically, I was downrange last week, and the same subject came up with a guy who is hardly ever back in the states/living in the 3rd world, who had the same opinion (this was the day of the news crew shooting).

He expressed an opinion that no one needs to own an assault weapon.

I didn't go into defining what an AW was, I just asked him one question:

Do you know what's going to happen tomorrow?

He said no.

I said - neither do I, and just let that hang for a second.

In other words, don't cut your options off by advocating a government action that lessens one's ability to protect themselves at some future point in time.

He got it - he isn't stupid.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
All that over an M1A?
View Quote

yeah, it doesnt even have a shoulder thing that goes up
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone just watch "The Last Castle"?

Robert Redfords charachter, the hero, has an interesting opinion of military collections.  

Good movie, but it's the same vibe.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I must see pictures of this M1a before I can comment.
View Quote

RULES.. We have them...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All that over an M1A?

how do you know? I can't tell by that pic...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Watch Gran Torino with him. Tell him nowadays there are better options than a 8 shot Garand.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Without the context behind his statements, it's difficult to know how to respond.

I knew a retired SF that was rabidly anti-hunting.  As in, would openly mock hunters and opine that nobody needed to hunt since the grocery store had all the meat they wanted to eat, and there was nothing sporting about shooting and killing something.  Shit got real when someone took offense and he offered a public challenge to let them hunt him, but he got to carry a rifle too.  He wasn't joking.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Without the context behind his statements, it's difficult to know how to respond.

I knew a retired SF that was rabidly anti-hunting.  As in, would openly mock hunters and opine that nobody needed to hunt since the grocery store had all the meat they wanted to eat, and there was nothing sporting about shooting and killing something.  Shit got real when someone took offense and he offered a public challenge to let them hunt him, but he got to carry a rifle too.  He wasn't joking.

View Quote

But he was ok with how farm raised animals are killed? That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. At least I can understand someone who is against all killing of animals for meat.

And even I am against killing things for just for fun. But for food, protecting yourself/land/property, population control etc is fine.

There were a couple guys at my last work who would just go out and find a bear to shoot for fun and leave it. That I think is stupid. The bear didn't do anything and it's death serves no real purpose, just leave it the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, he was a simpleton, who didn't understand wildlife management, but wanted everyone to know how awesome his hunting of men skills were.  Sounds like a real winner.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I like this guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Explain to him the difference between need and want. If he still doesn't understand, remind him your fucking his daughter and that means you won.

I like this guy.

Aye.

I second the motion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So, he was a simpleton, who didn't understand wildlife management, but wanted everyone to know how awesome his hunting of men skills were.  Sounds like a real winner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he just had a hangup about shooting and killing things for sport.  Given his background, I suppose that's why.  

Otherwise, he was a great guy.  It was one of those things you just politely nodded about and moved on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mancave is a defeatist term.  The older generation called it a den or workshop.  
View Quote

If I did sig lines, this would be worthy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But he was ok with how farm raised animals are killed? That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. At least I can understand someone who is against all killing of animals for meat.

And even I am against killing things for just for fun. But for food, protecting yourself/land/property, population control etc is fine.

There were a couple guys at my last work who would just go out and find a bear to shoot for fun and leave it. That I think is stupid. The bear didn't do anything and it's death serves no real purpose, just leave it the fuck alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was pretty much his point.  The 'sporting' aspect of it vs. necessity.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Plenty of anti gun people in the military. Especially officers
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People who've been through combat can have pretty esoteric views of things other people can't begin to understand.

When I used to shoot CAS competitively there was a guy in my club, early sixties.  Chunky, jovial, really friendly and outgoing.  He designed most of our shooting stages.  Another shooter who's known him for decades mentioned that 'Cap' had been awarded the Silver Star in Viet Nam.  One day we're out welding up some steel targets and I see his upper back and neck, notice some major scars.  Politely ask about them in a low-key and respectful way.  Cap raises his shirt and shows me where he'd been slashed wide open across the abdomen.  I also see a couple of GSW scars.

Later that month a few of us were organising a Florida pig hunt and I felt it was polite to offer an invite to him, as I had gifted him some backstraps and pork sausages after my last hunt and he'd raved about how good they were.

He turned me down flat.  Told me he'd shoot targets all day long, even targets shaped like men, but he'd never shoot at another living thing as long as he lived.  A bunch of us went out for prime rib one night and Cap ordered it well done.  Told me he couldn't eat any rare or even pink meat, the sight of blood ruined his appetite.  He kept his head at eye level, never looked anywhere on the table except his own plate.

I wouldn't begin to judge the guy, his experiences shaped him and its his business how he deals with it.

But OP's father in-law ?  Yeah, he spends a good deal of the year out of the country because of the crime rate...  sounds like the wolf has become a sheep.  Kinda sad.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Good on your OP...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the 'sporting' aspect like big game hunting serves a purpose in wild life preservation and local economy and the locals use the kill.

I'm talking about going out and killing something and leaving it just because you can, I think that's stupid.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

People who've been through combat can have pretty esoteric views of things other people can't begin to understand.
View Quote

This I totally understand, and would never question a man's reasons, like the gentleman you described.

The other description is nothing like that.    "Openly mocking hunters".  At that point he is forcing his views on others.  Not ok.  

There is a difference.  

There are gun owners out there who don't want, or feel the need to own a "black rifle", but they are OK with others choosing to do so.  Those fellas, i cant fault.  Then there are the other kind.    Fuck those guys.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top