Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chain of custody...
View Quote
Oh? That's an issue in DOT civil matters? Where they normally have the test performed by a private facility hired by the employer? Tell me more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If the cop were so concerned about the draw for the DOT I can see him asking for them to collect a sample and hold it for the patient's consent.  They would have already established an IV at that point so they'd have access.  But I honestly don't believe anyone would be that concerned about what is really the driver and employer's problem.  And I can never remember asking for a professional courtesy by threatening to arrest anyone.  

Someone stepped on his own dick quite heavily.  If he's lucky he'll get to be a meter maid for a few years until retirement.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If the cop were so concerned about the draw for the DOT I can see him asking for them to collect a sample and hold it for the patient's consent.  They would have already established an IV at that point so they'd have access.  But I honestly don't believe anyone would be that concerned about what is really the driver and employer's problem.  And I can never remember asking for a professional courtesy by threatening to arrest anyone.  

Someone stepped on his own dick quite heavily.  If he's lucky he'll get to be a meter maid for a few years until retirement.  
View Quote
Obviously I don't speak for all nurses but we don't normally draw blood from existing peripheral IVs. Sometimes it's done as you're inserting the IV initially but I'm guessing this patient already has some and is getting continuous fluids. If the patient has a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) or other central line you may get it from there.

Who knows what Det Payne was thinking but the DOT/employer angle is pretty ridiculous. I'd actually have some respect for him if he just came out and said "look I thought it was necessary and lawful but in retrospect let my anger get the best of me. I'm sorry I fucked up."
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/diY0yEz.png

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/09/09/watch-commander-on-duty-during-nurse-arrest-has-been-placed-on-leave-attorney-says-hes-received-death-threats-and-asks-for-patience/
View Quote
The Watch Commander must be a first class DOUCHEBADGE if his attorney is getting death threats.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/AvgQZHY.png

http://www.wthr.com/article/officer-arrested-utah-nurse-after-he-was-told-to-let-her-go-police-chief-says
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/AvgQZHY.png

http://www.wthr.com/article/officer-arrested-utah-nurse-after-he-was-told-to-let-her-go-police-chief-says
DOUCHEBADGE Payne is fucked.

SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah police officer whose rough arrest of a hospital nurse has drawn condemnation put the woman in handcuffs even after investigators told him not to worry about getting a blood sample he was seeking from a patient, the chief whose department asked for it said Friday.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Obviously I don't speak for all nurses but we don't normally draw blood from existing peripheral IVs. Sometimes it's done as you're inserting the IV initially but I'm guessing this patient already has some and is getting continuous fluids. If the patient has a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) or other central line you may get it from there.

Who knows what Det Payne was thinking but the DOT/employer angle is pretty ridiculous. I'd actually have some respect for him if he just came out and said "look I thought it was necessary and lawful but in retrospect let my anger get the best of me. I'm sorry I fucked up."
View Quote
Yes!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes!
Correct and that could be challenged in court very easily.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
The IA report is at that link. Payne, his LT, and another guy are fucked.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Guy in the burn ward is gonna be pissed when he wakes up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like Payne will have plenty of time off to work on growing out his skullet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The tide appears to be changing. At this point with the fbi investigating and IA coming back with this report I'm thinking we see resignations soon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Investigators wrote Payne’s conduct was ”inappropriate, unreasonable, unwarranted, discourteous, disrespectful, and has brought significant disrepute on both you as a Police Officer and on the Department as a whole.

“You demonstrated extremely poor professional judgment (especially for an officer with 27 years of experience), which calls into question your ability to effectively serve the public and the Department in a manner that inspires the requisite trust, respect, and confidence,” the report adds.

Bye Felicia. The ignorant defenders that posted here should be ashamed.

I do fear they will be allowed to resign and get jobs somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like their "contempt of cop" catch all bit them in the ass...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Investigators wrote Payne’s conduct was ”inappropriate, unreasonable, unwarranted, discourteous, disrespectful, and has brought significant disrepute on both you as a Police Officer and on the Department as a whole.

“You demonstrated extremely poor professional judgment (especially for an officer with 27 years of experience), which calls into question your ability to effectively serve the public and the Department in a manner that inspires the requisite trust, respect, and confidence,” the report adds.

Bye Felicia. The ignorant defenders that posted here should be ashamed.

I do fear they will be allowed to resign and get jobs somewhere else.
View Quote
I hope not. There has to be a class C Felony in there somewhere. Assault and battery, false arrest charges, and they need to be held responsible for the patients he put at risk for additional illness or injury because they were abandoned when she was forcibly removed. I hope she sues the shit out of them so they're broke the rest of their lives and become nothing more than Walmart greeters.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:22:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Salt Lake district attorney asks FBI to investigate confrontation between cop and nurse for potential civil-rights violations

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/09/07/district-attorney-sim-gill-asks-fbi-to-investigate-blood-draw-episode-for-potential-civil-rights-violations/
View Quote
Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Shit's getting real now...looks like even the LEO's standing there "doing nothing" will be investigated for not intervening as well. Good for them.

I don't expect any criminal charges after all is said and done but I think there will be civil lawsuits in the end.
View Quote
Good. They stood by and watched a fellow officer violate this nurse's civil rights. They should all be fired and potentially prosecuted.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good. They stood by and watched a fellow officer violate this nurse's civil rights. They should all be fired and potentially prosecuted.
View Quote
This. When I was an ER nurse, I had a pretty good relationship with LE. LE spends a lot of time in the ER, as we seem to share a large percentage of our clientele. If ONE cop was a douchebag, I would say "Oh Christ. It's Officer Jerry the Douchbag again."

But if there were three or four other cops standing around tacitly approving of Officer Douchebag's actions, I would lose respect and trust of pretty much all the LE agencies involved. Fuck them. We are supposed to be on the same fucking team.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#19]
The IA report is a good read. The nurse is complemented for the way she handled the interaction. Payne and Tracy are fucked...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is why

View Quote
@Balista Care to comment?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Which investigation?  The first one where they didn't do anything or the one when people saw the officer behaving badly?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you care to come out of your safe space long enough to read this then yes. They did their best to bury the story and just forget the whole thing. The chief came out and pretended to care only when he had no other choice. Absent a body cam there would be no story here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you care to come out of your safe space long enough to read this then yes. They did their best to bury the story and just forget the whole thing. The chief came out and pretended to care only when he had no other choice. Absent a body cam there would be no story here.
View Quote
Bingo.  

Well, I suppose there's the possibility of video from the hospital cameras, but it's not going to be quite as impressive as the bodycam's recording.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm going to assume the hospital or nurse used the hospital footage for leverage to get the bodycam footage released.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would garner some respect from me, but not enough to want him to keep his job.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Guy in the burn ward is gonna be pissed when he wakes up.
View Quote
"Hey, did I miss anything?"
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That would garner some respect from me, but not enough to want him to keep his job.  
View Quote
I can accept men failing. We all do.....

I can't accept when someone fails they try to skate responsibility. I do applaud internal affairs and the civilian review board. Frankly I don't think they had a choice on this one though....

How long until he blames ptsd?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Oh? That's an issue in DOT civil matters? Where they normally have the test performed by a private facility hired by the employer? Tell me more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chain of custody...
All a lawyer would have to do is get the error records of the lab. They are required to keep them. Everytime there is a corrected report there is a record of it. 

Then the lawyer gets the people involved in the testing on the stand and asks them various questions about procedures, identification procedures, instrumentation, preventative maintenance etc. 

I know a couple people that have been drug to court over these things. Hospitals don't like to go to court. 

It would only help in the defense so it doesn't make any sense to begin with. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All a lawyer would have to do is get the error records of the lab. They are required to keep them. Everytime there is a corrected report there is a record of it. 

Then the lawyer gets the people involved in the testing on the stand and asks them various questions about procedures, identification procedures, instrumentation, preventative maintenance etc. 

I know a couple people that have been drug to court over these things. Hospitals don't like to go to court. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chain of custody...

I have to say none of it matters. This was an ego trip and nothing more. They done goofed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#30]
The mayor and chief are still getting blistered in their Twitter accounts.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
A) I have no idea what your point is?

B) If you had actually read the thread; you would see I was answering a poster asking why the Utah state police don't investigate themselves and the meme illustrates why. They don't want to be accused of covering up.

C) The Salt Lake City department had to be forced to apologize only after the victims attorney got the officers bodycam released. The department took no action to suspend the Salt Lake City detective until the victim had to hire an attorney to make them do the right thing.

Utah State police did the right thing while the Salt Lake City police department didn't. In fact, the Chief admits he does not have an excuse.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

B) If you had actually read the thread; you would see I was answering a poster asking why the Utah state police don't investigate themselves and the meme illustrates why. They don't want to be accused of covering up.

C) The Salt Lake City department had to be forced to apologize only after the victims attorney got the officers bodycam released. The department took no action to suspend the Salt Lake City detective until the victim had to hire an attorney to make them do the right thing.

Utah State police did the right thing while the Salt Lake City police department didn't. In fact, the Chief admits he does not have an excuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be accused of trolling and hating law enforcement shortly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Interesting they are saying Payne and LT were not sufficiently trained, nor updated on current law and so they are putting that back on the PD. And it is local SOP to obtain blood samples from everyone involved in a major accident.

The CRB report basically boils down to they think Payne was rude and failed to file one report properly and the LT was not properly trained to know current rules on blood draws.
View Quote
SOP? How is that legal?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#35]
50 pages of mess.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I oppologize, I did take you out of context by your posting that picture. I understand now..

Also, I believe the SLPD Chief position should now be looked at as a 'temporary position' for the setting chief. He cooked his goose there...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

SOP? How is that legal?
View Quote
It's not legal, just their excuse for doing it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#39]
He did this to an ER nurse in the middle of the ER, surrounded by medical staff and other cops, knowing he was being videotaped.  Imagine the things he's done to lesser folk when there was nobody around.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Seems to me they did not update their own policy and training after that court decision many years ago.
View Quote
I don't think I'd be able to get away with not knowing the law...they won't either.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't think I'd be able to get away with not knowing the law...they won't either.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to me they did not update their own policy and training after that court decision many years ago.
I took it that the real failure was at command level &, if I took it right, I'd have to agree.

Too many of these recent incidents are done by people who, sometimes plainly, shouldn't be cops. When somebody that shouldn't be a cop is hired, the onus is on the chain of command that did the hiring. Now, nobody is perfect at hiring & a few are always going to slip through, but when even one does, that chain of command HAS to review its own system to try to improve.

When those rare people that shouldn't be cops get through the system & into a dept, the onus is then on the immediate chain of in field command staff. Those people that aren't working out HAVE to either be moved out altogether or moved to another area where their chances of doing harm are minimized = meter maid duty till they do retire.

I'm not saying anywhere that an individual isn't responsible for their own actions, but I am saying 'the buck doesn't stop there'.

I pushed this same system of responsibility when I was on our schools board. We had WAY too many bad hires. The problem was NOT with the applicant pool, the problem was with the people that did the hiring!

Edit to update sig line- didn't work
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's a Civilian Review Board report. It has no bearing on actual criminal court matters.

But I think it gives some insight into possible future issues. It seems to be strong on the emotional side and very lacking in substance.

It does not IMO give any credence to criminal actions and only their own perceived policy violations which again might be a stretch.
View Quote
If I said to someone "I don't like that I cannot get my way and am blaming you" and then proceeded to secure their arms and stuff them in my car with the threat of taking them off somewhere else what would I be charged with? Would the target abductee be justified in using lethal force against me?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why would I need to post a link that a course in drawing a blood sample is equal to a 2 year or more course in anything, that also includes much more in depth studies in blood drawing, including but not limited to, different anticoagulants, tube draw sequence, sterility, chemistry, etc and so on.

There are plenty of posts that imply just because you have a badge it is assumed you can go anywhere and do anything you want. Look at them yourself. 

If this were a case of gun confiscation during a hurricane, or some other gun or property related seizure the same people would be triggered.

But since it's mah drug screen (on an innocent person) not only are people OK with it, they put it above all else, including jeopardizing a patients life.

The hills people choose to die on are astounding. No wonder the republican party is full of jeb bushes and Lindsay Graham's. 
View Quote
Very well stated post.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's a Civilian Review Board report. It has no bearing on actual criminal court matters.

But I think it gives some insight into possible future issues. It seems to be strong on the emotional side and very lacking in substance.

It does not IMO give any credence to criminal actions and only their own perceived policy violations which again might be a stretch.
View Quote
What's your prediction?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

SOP? How is that legal?
View Quote
They can ask for consent for anything. Never has been illegal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Interesting they are saying Payne and LT were not sufficiently trained, nor updated on current law and so they are putting that back on the PD. And it is local SOP to obtain blood samples from everyone involved in a major accident.

The CRB report basically boils down to they think Payne was rude and failed to file one report properly and the LT was not properly trained to know current rules on blood draws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow. Thats what you got from the CRB report? I got a bit more than that.....

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bama will get from the report what makes him feel better about his job.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't want to post under your real account
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top