Quoted:

69 Camaro
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the 80's I would routinely drive 130 and occasionally drive 140. I was young and dumb as shit.

The cars sucked back then. At that speed, you were doing a pretty constant up and down with the suspension of the day even on a smooth road.

At 270 for sustained speeds, I don't think any tires existed that would allow it. It would also take a whole hell of a lot of horsepower and horsepower was a lot harder to make back then compared to now and anything that made that much power was probably loud as hell.

170 sure. 270? I become skeptical for anything more than a mile. But who knows?

Wow..130 -140 is pretty fast for the 80's!  What were you driving / riding?  I agree on the sustained 270+...ESPECIALLY in the 1980's....hell a Bugatti Veyron won't even go that fast (I think).

If my friend is telling the truth (and I believe he is) - it had to be something flying.  Only thing that makes an sense, but still does not make ANY sense would be some kind of cruise missile type craft with a very quiet turbo fan?

69 Camaro

RJ Gotlieb's 69 Camaro could averaged 197 mph over a 97 mile course (with top speeds in the 220's) in 1989

Edited to add around 1990 there was a ticket written to him that was 212 IIRC (he was clocked by highway patrol on closed road and given the ticket as a joke)
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I cringe every time I see that story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've thought about parking off of the airport and trying to get a plane on the radar.
Careful you don't trigger any countermeasures by lighting up aircraft.  

Aircraft with Radar Warning Receivers (RWR) are tracking specific frequency bands known to be in use by enemy defense radar, and typically aren't tracking radar threats stateside.  Doubtful that police radar falls within the frequency band they're looking for.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Beep, Beep!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I seem to remember Chicago cops clocking some motorcycle in the loop doing some ungodly speed back then.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have read the same kind of stuff.  You could supposedly dial in what ever speed you wanted the police radar to display. Not sure why
you would want to have it say you were going faster than you actually were....but allegedly they had the capability to do this.

Maybe someones jammer was malfunctioning and making his radar read way too high, and was traveling fast / running dark.  Still does not solve the issue of "no sound" though

He said he did not hear anything other than the "swoosh" of the air gently rocking his cruiser, and the beeping of the radar alarm
View Quote

Here's my theory-

The driver saw the cop along the road and put the car in neutral hoping that the cop was asleep.  There was still noise from the tires and some idle noise, but that was covered up by the sound of the air from the car as it went past.   If he put it in neutral at something like 130-140 he'd still have some usable speed to carry him out where the cop couldn't hear him open it back up again.  And whether intentionally or not, a radar jammer caused a ridiculously high reading that made the cop sit in his OODA loop for a couple seconds wondering whether it was an equipment malfunction or if he should bother trying to catch someone at 270.  Either way, driver's at least 500 feet away and back on the throttle by the time the cop sees him.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#9]
... Sweet!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I seem to remember Chicago cops clocking some motorcycle in the loop doing some ungodly speed back then.
View Quote

IIRC, 143mph on Lake Shore Drive.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Attention whore
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Great movie.

The Wraith.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]
OP:
we used to play out on that exact stretch of road with our own radar gun to see what our cars would top out at, wasnt in 1982 though but funny coincidence either way
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Even the halo cars of today cannot achieve that kind of speed.

The Veyron tops out in the 240 to 250 range IIRC, and even a car like that cannot maintain speed like that for very long.

Tires (heat) and fuel consumption become issues with sustained running at those speeds.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Here's my theory-

The driver saw the cop along the road and put the car in neutral hoping that the cop was asleep.  There was still noise from the tires and some idle noise, but that was covered up by the sound of the air from the car as it went past.   If he put it in neutral at something like 130-140 he'd still have some usable speed to carry him out where the cop couldn't hear him open it back up again.  And whether intentionally or not, a radar jammer caused a ridiculously high reading that made the cop sit in his OODA loop for a couple seconds wondering whether it was an equipment malfunction or if he should bother trying to catch someone at 270.  Either way, driver's at least 500 feet away and back on the throttle by the time the cop sees him.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have read the same kind of stuff.  You could supposedly dial in what ever speed you wanted the police radar to display. Not sure why
you would want to have it say you were going faster than you actually were....but allegedly they had the capability to do this.

Maybe someones jammer was malfunctioning and making his radar read way too high, and was traveling fast / running dark.  Still does not solve the issue of "no sound" though

He said he did not hear anything other than the "swoosh" of the air gently rocking his cruiser, and the beeping of the radar alarm

Here's my theory-

You have the best, most plausible theory yet.  Congratulations!  This seems to cover all the bases from the details he explained to me.

Not as fun as a mysterious super secret reverse engineered DARPA drone zipping down I-90 at 10 feet high....but I like your reasoning!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP:
we used to play out on that exact stretch of road with our own radar gun to see what our cars would top out at, wasnt in 1982 though but funny coincidence either way
View Quote

I have traveled the stretch several times on my trips to the "right side" of this state It is perfect for seeing how fast you can go, just make sure the WSP Cessna is not hanging around with binoculars and a stop watch

I have a car that the seller "guaranteed" could break 200 mph....but I don't have the balls to take it over there and try to find out

I am sure it would more likely "break" at 200....lol  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

RJ Gotlieb's 69 Camaro could averaged 197 mph over a 97 mile course (with top speeds in the 220's) in 1989

Edited to add around 1990 there was a ticket written to him that was 212 IIRC (he was clocked by highway patrol on closed road and given the ticket as a joke)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the 80's I would routinely drive 130 and occasionally drive 140. I was young and dumb as shit.

The cars sucked back then. At that speed, you were doing a pretty constant up and down with the suspension of the day even on a smooth road.

At 270 for sustained speeds, I don't think any tires existed that would allow it. It would also take a whole hell of a lot of horsepower and horsepower was a lot harder to make back then compared to now and anything that made that much power was probably loud as hell.

Wow..130 -140 is pretty fast for the 80's!  What were you driving / riding?  I agree on the sustained 270+...ESPECIALLY in the 1980's....hell a Bugatti Veyron won't even go that fast (I think).

If my friend is telling the truth (and I believe he is) - it had to be something flying.  Only thing that makes an sense, but still does not make ANY sense would be some kind of cruise missile type craft with a very quiet turbo fan?

69 Camaro

I was not familiar with RJ Gotlieb car - did some googling...holy chit...  That thing was / is a beast.  It would give one hell of a run down that stretch of I-90!!   Thanks for posting.

http://bigredcamaro.com/

1989 | Silver State Classic Challenge II

After R.J. backed it in and hit the switch to kill the 800-horse Rat motor, the world seemed eerily quiet…Normally, a crowd would gather around such a spectacle, but not here. Not today. The other competitors kept their distance, and all they could do was stare, mouths agape in sad realization that they would all be racing for Second Place, and even then, nobody would care. For this garish American "godawful hotrod" was sure to not only eat their lunch, but to also spit it back in their face and walk off with their trophy wife…Sure enough, with HOT ROD's Joe Pettitt doing little more than providing right-side ballast, Big Red destroyed the 94-mile course in 27 minutes, 54 seconds, for an average speed of 197.99 mph and a radar-recorded 222-mph top-end velocity. That was in 1989, and the legend of Big Red had just begun.” –Hot Rod Magazine 2005 by Rob Kinnan

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol....I know that stretch of road well.  Got  tagged doing 130+ about 12 years ago.  Took him almost 7 miles to catch up he said.    He was actually pretty cool and only did the ticket for 110+ and not the 130 which prevented me from going to jail.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#19]
It was a black, 1982 Pontiac Trans Am.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lol....I know that stretch of road well.  Got  tagged doing 130+ about 12 years ago.  Took him almost 7 miles to catch up he said.    He was actually pretty cool and only did the ticket for 110+ and not the 130 which prevented me from going to jail.
View Quote

Damn...you got "lucky"!  What were you riding / driving ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeeeeehawwwww!

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

cannonball run!
View Quote

240+mph headed to Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jua9p_FHpQE

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Aircraft with Radar Warning Receivers (RWR) are tracking specific frequency bands known to be in use by enemy defense radar, and typically aren't tracking radar threats stateside.  Doubtful that police radar falls within the frequency band they're looking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've thought about parking off of the airport and trying to get a plane on the radar.

I meant cringe because people believe it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeeeeehawwwww!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFf3SGqudmhNO7mIW5tbKtETHwNAtep66I7HrJU8lFD3T4VsTxyg

I was thinking KITT
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A '98 Dodge Neon R/T with a lot of mods  At that time it was limited to around 134 and I was bouncing off the limiter.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
that reminds me link

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Radar gun was set on Kilometers per hour.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Radar gun was set on Kilometers per hour.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

I believe you are correct.  The highest speed rating for a tire available prior to 1991 was 130mph.

I don't think you could find a tire today that is rated for sustained speeds that high.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

LOL...maybe this is a joke retired law enforcement like to tell people to screw with our heads? I have never heard the Lambo "pilot" with nods...that would be cool for long straight runs.  

I have never worn night vision goggles....I would hope they had pretty good range and depth perception at 200+ mph.

Pucker factor would be definitely be high
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh... I heard the same story from a Sulphur La. cop on I-10.... supposedly it was a drug runner in a Lambo with nods going from Florida to California or something.... I never believed the story, but he told it well!

- Clint

LOL...maybe this is a joke retired law enforcement like to tell people to screw with our heads? I have never heard the Lambo "pilot" with nods...that would be cool for long straight runs.  

I have never worn night vision goggles....I would hope they had pretty good range and depth perception at 200+ mph.

Pucker factor would be definitely be high

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lamborghinichat-com-sponsored-lamborghini-houston/203909-exotic-driving-drug-smuggler-myth-i-95-miami-200-mph.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I believe you are correct.  The highest speed rating for a tire available prior to 1991 was 130mph.

I don't think you could find a tire today that is rated for sustained speeds that high.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and by 1991 you would have needed the McLaren F1 to go 200plus
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
the land speed record by the 80s was waaaaay over 300mph

But those vehicles are LOUD

OP, the most plausible explanations are 1) you're gullible or 2) kph
View Quote

Mallet TT Corvette.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Damn it, I came here specifically to make that reference

Besides, that was about 300mph and it was in 1984. It must have been a different alien vehicle

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Meh... I heard the same story from a Sulphur La. cop on I-10.... supposedly it was a drug runner in a Lambo with nods going from Florida to California or something.... I never believed the story, but he told it well!

- Clint
View Quote

That is the story.

Everyone tells it.

Its old.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Back in 2002 I was riding with a buddy of mine in  VERY modified Supra single turbo.  We were riding behind an exact replica of his car driven by another friend.  The lead car took off on I-70 between Frederick MD and Gaithersburg MD and dissapeared into the night quick.  My friend looked at me and asked if we should try and catch him.  I said yes....so we were off.  140, 150, 160, 165, 170....we sat at 170mph for a couple min and never caught him so we slowed down and continued on to our destination at 80mph.  We finally arrive and as we are getting out of the car a cop car pulls up with lights and siren going nuts.  

After some pleasantries about, "don't move" being exchanged the cop approached us and asked, "Do you know how fast you were going?".  
My buddy's response, "75 or 80".  
Cop, "Bullshit!!".  
My buddy, "Seriously officer, 75 or 80."
Cop, "Total hogwash son, my radar stars out at 150mph (***) so I know you were going faster than that!"
My buddy, pointing to the other supra sitting a couple parking spots away, a direct replica of his, "Are you sure it wasn't *that* car..."
Cop...befuddled..."I'll keep my eyes on you."

Now, I know for certain there are units that go over 200mph, because I've seen them, but *some* models obviously do have a limit that can be exceeded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I doubt the radar even went that high...

Ever been snipe hunting?

Back in 2002 I was riding with a buddy of mine in  VERY modified Supra single turbo.  We were riding behind an exact replica of his car driven by another friend.  The lead car took off on I-70 between Frederick MD and Gaithersburg MD and dissapeared into the night quick.  My friend looked at me and asked if we should try and catch him.  I said yes....so we were off.  140, 150, 160, 165, 170....we sat at 170mph for a couple min and never caught him so we slowed down and continued on to our destination at 80mph.  We finally arrive and as we are getting out of the car a cop car pulls up with lights and siren going nuts.  

After some pleasantries about, "don't move" being exchanged the cop approached us and asked, "Do you know how fast you were going?".  
My buddy's response, "75 or 80".  
Cop, "Bullshit!!".  
My buddy, "Seriously officer, 75 or 80."
Cop, "Total hogwash son, my radar stars out at 150mph (***) so I know you were going faster than that!"
My buddy, pointing to the other supra sitting a couple parking spots away, a direct replica of his, "Are you sure it wasn't *that* car..."
Cop...befuddled..."I'll keep my eyes on you."

Now, I know for certain there are units that go over 200mph, because I've seen them, but *some* models obviously do have a limit that can be exceeded.

I knew a guy who was a Trooper in the MD State Police, stationed in Frederick. He told me that he and another Trooper were working radar on westbound I-270 just east of Frederick when I guy in a 300ZX went through the radar at 147 MPH, the MSP guys started a pursuit, and the guy in the 300ZX reversed direction using the cloverleaf that used to be at 270 and MD 85. The 300ZX headed back towards DC, and the MSP guys chased it all the way to Rockville. By the time they got the guy stopped, there were about a dozen cops in the chase, 3 MSP cars were wrecked, and a couple of citizens also got run off the road. There were over a dozen cops from 3 different agencies involved in the chase.
The guy had a briefcase full of cocaine and two stolen guns in the car, and the car itself was stolen. If he had just kept to the speed limit, he would have made his courier run with no trouble, but his heavy foot got him 15 years in jail.
What a jerk. Whoever said that crooks are stupid was right.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top