User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't it be cool to be able to have one of these, as a civillian, as a private aircraft?

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/Houston/tx_f-4dphantom.htm

Like this!?

I watched that plane do touch and goes at Hobby Airport in Houston in the late 90's after it was refurbed. It was very cool watching it come in behind Southwest Airlines birds. I'm sure those guys were doing double takes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Back when I was growing up in Yuma, AZ, we had an USMC F-4 pilot in our church.  One Saturday a group went out to the desert for a picnic.  He couldn't go because he was on duty & had to fly.  So he and his wingman found us and buzzed the crap out of the camp.  I'll never forget watching those two birds come screaming down this valley and hitting the A/B on the way out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet video,

Awesome plane.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
This is low and fast...

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
In the infamous words of Goose in Top Gun;

"I'm gettin a Woodie!"
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool find!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen F-86s, F-100s and F-105s that were privately owned and flown.  Does anyone know if there are any F-4s in private ownership?

There are still a load of these in mothballs in the desert in AZ.  I guess they pull them out, refurbish them, take them out on a check ride then send them to California where they are fitted with Radio Control equipment and used for missile tests.  

What a shame
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
That video brings back memories of the air strikes F-4's flew for us in Viet Nam. Those F-4's dropping ordinance would give you a woody and man they were fast.
After dropping their loads they would do a super low fly over, once in awhile the pilot would wave to us and then he would hit the gas and do a victory roll,
it's something that I'll never forget. Very cool for us but not for the gooks as they were blown to shit or fried like an over cooked chicken.........
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing this!  They are my favorite bird.

Agreed. I always loved the F4 Phantom. Had models of the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds as a kid.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
There is just something simply bad ass about an F4  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those weren't shock waves in the water.  Not quite fast enough for that.

Note, the fastest passes at the end of the video are also the ones where the aircraft's agility is greatest.   It was in these faster passes
that the aircraft was closest to the speeds at which its maneuverability is greatest.     That range of speeds is called corner airspeed,
and while I don't know the corner airspeed of an F-4, on an F-16 it's between 330 and 440 knots with average loadouts.

When in the corner airspeed range, the plane is able to change attitude and direction faster than at any other speed range.  Below it,
you don't have the energy to get to maximum allowable Gs in turns, and above it,  you aren't allowed (or able) to exceed G and structural limits.

The F-4 is my favorite fighter not currently in service.

(Yeah, I know, it's properly an interceptor, not a fighter, by design, but it is what you use it as.)

You want a fast pass?  Well, here it is.

This appears to be a genuine supersonic pass.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5rg47SG3g8

In Iraq and Afghanistan, during Desert Storm, and possibly during GWII, at times some US aircraft were employed to simply
fly over enemies at supersonic speeds,  using the shock waves to scare the daylights out of them and encourage them to surrender peacefully.
This was a successful technique.

CJ

Is that the one that flamed out after the pass?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In a perfect world, there would always be F4 Phantoms and F14 Tomcats in service.

THIS!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is low and fast...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4KLXlE9ZU4

Holeeeeeeeee  Shiiite!

That one right bank, it sure as hell looked like his wingtip was gonna dig in.

In the words of Sgt Apone:  Absolutely badass!!

BTW:  I got to ride in the back seat of one back in 1970 out of Oceana.

Not exactly authorized.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]
In 1971, I was in Grapland, Texas and had one buzz me at tree top level and then go into afterburner...scared the crap out of me..I was nine years old at the time, the plane had a camo pattern. I guess they cant do that anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love the Phantom - but the editing of that video gave me epilepsy.  

And leprosy.

What'd the leper say to the prostitute?

"Keep the tip..."
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I heard they where hard to fly... i had to laugh as the one poster mentioned the ''gooks''.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top