BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You have the right to remain tasty.

You have the right to be slow roasted over an open flame.

You have the right to be seasoned with various spices chosen by your assasin.

Should you give up the right to remain tasty then you will be assasinated in the most gruesome manor we can think of just for pure hilarious fun as we watch your non-tasty carcases explode in various ways.

Should we determine you to be tasty but too cute to eat, you will then become our servants and we will train and breed you to herd, hunt, and retrieve other tasty animals which will not learn to bring us food.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I get a real kick out of these "joke" threads........
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as I'm concerned animals do have rights.

I'm not suggesting that means a global vegan mandate, not at all. What I am saying is that simply because we as humans [i]can[/i] do things that are unfair or unkind to animals doesn't mean we [i]should[/i] do those things.

Personally, I think animals that live in the wild lead a rather noble existance, contrary to many humans who choose to hunt them(not necessarily most). No I'm not against hunting, but I definately think anyone who exclusively trophy hunts for the sole purpose of mounting another head on their wall is an asshole.

As for some vary basic animal rights, I think no animal should be treated in a cruel manner if at all possible. I think animals have as much right to a peaceful existance as any other creature on the planet.

As for humans, there certainly isn't any shortage of dumb asses among our population. No single creature has pissed in its own gene pool like we have, and that has lead to some very unpleasant consequences. Let me be the first to suggest giving the rest of the animal kingdom a brief break, and lets kull the human herd.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
As for some vary basic animal rights, I think no animal should be treated in a cruel manner if at all possible. I think animals have as much right to a peaceful existance as any other creature on the planet.
View Quote
In all seriousness, I agree with this, totally.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in my forties, Vass. Beyond college.

The overpopulation thing? The planet is capable of more, sure. But at what point is a slowdown necessary? Maybe just in India or China, huh?

Math is a curious thing, too. Isn't it amazing the power of numbers, we can double the world population faster now than we could before. I wish my bank account was working like that.

My reference to selfish pride and ignorance I'll explain: ignorance is children being born to people who don't plan and then struggle to sustain new life whether by poverty or lack of education or by lack of familial support. Selfish pride is Nationalism, religious doctrine, tradition, social mores.

I would never tell anybody that they shouldn't have children due to overpopulation, that sounds like the 70's, doesn't it. The fact is no leader has ever come forward to address this issue, it's always the people who say, we're OK, they are the ones overpopulating the world as they point a finger at some other country.

If we're biologically wired to have kids and that's the reason why people have kids, then we're no better than animals, are we?

Thanks, Sukebe. We're working on three pages of total and complete bullshit for your viewing pleasure.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The overpopulation thing? The planet is capable of more, sure. But at what point is a slowdown necessary? Maybe just in India or China, huh?

Math is a curious thing, too. Isn't it amazing the power of numbers, we can double the world population faster now than we could before. I wish my bank account was working like that.

My reference to selfish pride and ignorance I'll explain: ignorance is children being born to people who don't plan and then struggle to sustain new life whether by poverty or lack of education or by lack of familial support. Selfish pride is Nationalism, religious doctrine, tradition, social mores.

I would never tell anybody that they shouldn't have children due to overpopulation, that sounds like the 70's, doesn't it. The fact is no leader has ever come forward to address this issue, it's always the people who say, we're OK, they are the ones overpopulating the world as they point a finger at some other country.

If we're biologically wired to have kids and that's the reason why people have kids, then we're no better than animals, are we?

Thanks, Sukebe. We're working on three pages of total and complete bullshit for your viewing pleasure.
View Quote

LOL! My God dude!?!?!?! are you really an animal rights nut from CA[:D]
This is to cool!a real life left wing nut job.....WOW!

Dude,you should not call my religious doctrine and social mores selfish it's way I don't just shot people like you[:D]

PS:Don't come in here just to start a fight,it makes you look like a fool and it's not going to make anybody stop shooting animals.

You know what! this post made me so mad I ran right out and shoot an animal to get it out of my sys.
See what you did[:(]

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, here are my final thoughts on this: Why should animals have any more rights than the right to live a peaceful life? Were there any animals at the Continental Congress? I don't see any pawprints on the Declaration of Independence. Did any animals help us in our fight for Freedom? Hell no. Have you ever seen one, just ONE, of the little *ssholes get of his *ss and hippity-hop to the nearest voting booth? I haven't. Free-loaders, that's all they are.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's a given that an overwhelming majority of people here are opposed to the notion of animals having rights as humans do, how about hearing the reasons why?
View Quote

Do you think a "Planet of the Apes" type scenario might happen to you?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Well, when the problem actually is in the other country, and isn't here, then it makes sense to point the finger at that other country, yes. Pointing a finger here, and blaming anyone in the U.S. for overpopulation, would be ridiculous.  Not only is the U.S. grossly *underpopulated,* both in terms of available land (the entire U.S. population could have two acres each in texas) but we produce far more food and goods than we need. Hell, even the technologies that may end up solving the third and fourth world hunger problems  -- bioengineered corn and the like -- are being developed here in the U.S.

Overpopulation in this country simply isn't even close to being a problem, which is why no one has stepped forward to solve it. Despite all claims to the contrary, it's not broken, so it doesn't need fixing.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:09:42 AM EDT
[#10]
All I can say is if you think animals have rights try explaining your rights to a great white while swimming in the ocean.

But the flip side is just that animals don't have rights doesn't mean people have to be assholes to them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Rights? We have the right to kill liberals,,are they animals?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:53:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Posted by punkatomic:
The Animal Rights movement is not about advocating rights among animals or even enacting or enforcing any rights they may believe exist for animals, they are about controlling human social behavior
View Quote

[*]they are about controlling human social behavior [/*]
[B]YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! [/B]  Controlling others is EVERY activist’s and GUN-GRABBERS underlying ideal.

Posted by punkatomic:
Animals were not put on earth for the service of man.
View Quote

Really?  For our entire history before the horse-less carriage and all the other technology we’ve created (and you happily use), animals were our source of food and work power.  Try telling that to some 14th century peasant trying to till his field, or a pilgrim for that matter.   I don’t even need to mention the Bible on this one.  

Posted by punkatomic:
As reasoning beings, endowed with an intelligence beyond all others species that we can observe, we must respect all life, it's a moral responsibility we must all bear.
View Quote

Of course it is, but that kind of reasoning should be carefully employed.  The gun-grabbers and far left animal lovers (they love animals more than humans) have used that kind of reasoning to enact all kinds of crazy legislature.  I think it was in (the republic of) San Francisco a while back, animal rights [b]whacko’s[/b] tried to (maybe have by now) pass law that people within city limits could not have OWNERSHIP of their pets anymore.  Ownership was to be replaced with “caretaker.”   [i]You do the math. [/i]

Posted by punkatomic:
View Quote

[*]then we're no better than animals, are we?[/*]
Speak for yourself.  I have no problem with you thinking that way about yourself, it’s your right.  In fact, I can even chuckle at you for it!  LOL!  

I’m going to bow hunt for Elk over this next month.  I am going to hunt with responsible people who care about the Elk population and their surrounding habitats.  Extreme activists don’t care that we feel that way, they just want to push their agenda and control issues.   There’s a difference between protecting pets and game against those who would exploit the resource, and giving them(animals) [b]rights[/b] by law.  Those animals wont exercise their rights, the people who wrote the LAW will exploit that vehicle to control owners/hunters/farmers/ranchers.  
It's Just one more subtle vehicle for CONTROLING people.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Animals have the right to butter, salt and pepper, and perhaps a hint of garlic if my Vegetable Liberation Front pals should ever mellow their stance.

Animals should not and do not have rights 'as humans do' for the simple reason that humans are more valuable to our society than animals - and rightly so.  I defy anyone to list a circumstance in which an animal's life should ever be equivalent to a human's life.  Animal welfare and conservation should rightly concern humans in general and hunters in particular, but that does not imply that animals have 'rights' - just customary levels of treatment which may be sacrificed if necessary for the welfare of humanity.

The thrust of the 'animal rights' movement, though most members are blissfully unaware of this, is to deprive humans of rights using animal welfare as a pretext for enhanced government control of people.

Let's get down to business here.  Hunters annually contribute more to the welfare of animals than all the 'animal rights' groups put together.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to finish slicing and dicing Bambi.  

[%(]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Koooooooo, KOOOOOOOOOOO,    Koooooooooooooooooo, KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Animals *don't* have rights.  

Rights are an idea (a concept) that if understood and properly implemented via the political system will give you protection from others.

Animals don't understand ideas/concepts.  Therefore NO amount of appealing to "rights" is going to keep you out of the stomach of a hungry bengal tiger.

Now, this says NOTHING whatsoever about how humans should ethically treat animals of various kinds -- only that animals don't have "rights" as such.

- CD
View Quote

Thank you CamperDad.  This *should* have been the end of the argument.  But I will admit...it is entertaining to read some of these ridiculous flower-child responses.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Animals don't have rights because:

1. They can't talk in a language that lawyers and judges understand.

2. They don't have opposable thumbs, making it impossible for them to hold, let alone fire, a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I guess I should clear up some confusion since several posters are assigning labels or reacting with personal attacks:

1. I don't believe animals have rights

2. I am not a Liberal, Dried Kalifornia Fruit, a Veggie, Animal Rights Nut, Flower Child or anything other than someone who supports gun rights, hunting rights, civil rights, conservative politics. The people who come back with these labels don't read, instead they can't wait to post an opinion and sometimes overreact.

3. This was a provocative topic, and everyones entitled to an opinion, on the topic, but not on a persons' character. This is stupid.

4. Finally, if you feel your values were attacked by any of my posts, that was not the intent. I knew some folks are sensitive, but Man!

5. Go back and read some of your posts, those who had strong reactions, and see if maybe you didn't consider the concept objectively enough.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is a simple example of why animals don't have rights.  

Hypothetical(but happens often):

I have a dog, and it is treated as a member of my family.  One day, it bites my son in his face, severely scarring the child.  There are no serious health concerns for the son due to the bite(i.e. he is not near death or anything, and the only possible medical attention needed would be for stiches).  So, I take the dog outside, beat the crap out of it for permenantly disfiguring my son, and then put it down by shooting it.

This is perfectly acceptable to most people.  In some states you could be put in jail doing that to an animal, but most people would find it acceptable, and you would eaily get off in a jury trial even in states that have laws against it.

This is an example of how, and why animals don't have rights.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top