Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Build it anyway. Fuck em....
View Quote

If it complies with the requirements that were in force when you first applied, then this is what I'd do.

Let them sue you.  The discovery should be interesting.  If their insurance company has to pay their legal fees, they'll probably put an end to their little tyranny real quick.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Another thing to think about, some zoning excludes temporary sheds (like the kind you rent, non-permanent foundations). They require no permits, and you can buy pretty nice ones. I had a 12'x32" shed, big enough to fit 2 cars in delivered for not much more than I could have built it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My town lost a $27 million developers lawsuit and their annual budget is probably $10 million.

Counter sue.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
definitely a case of asking for forgiveness rather than permission.
View Quote

+1

In OP's situation it isn't even illegal so go for it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My building permits just got approved after three attempts. They took 30 days on the current set of plans. Kicked back over 10 fucking inches on the previous set. I say stick it to them OP.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

definitely a case of asking for forgiveness rather than permission.
View Quote

Yep. I am re-building a shed. Albeit more than double the size. It will be nice and match in color - just because that is me. I'm not siding it to match. It didn't before. The roof won't match because I am going to re-roof the house in a few years anyway.

I'm sure I need a permit but I figure ignorance of the law - hell, it's just a shed.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#7]
the correct GD answer is of course Killdozer!

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP:
What Township?
View Quote

LeSauk, near St Cloud
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does it have to be that in America today that in order to have rights you need to spend thousands of dollars on attorneys to fight for them first?  

View Quote

Because you don't have rights, that's why.

The rule of law is long gone.  You have whatever you can get away with; paying lawyers helps you get your way vs. the government.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Or else I move in a half dozen used shipping containers to put my shit in.  Nothing in the ordinance addresses that......yet
View Quote

CONNEX BOX FORT!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does it have to be that in America today that in order to have rights you need to spend thousands of dollars on attorneys to fight for them first?  

My township strong armed me when I applied for a building permit to put a shed on my property by telling me it needed to match my home.    I proposed matching  the color scheme but with a different type of siding and roofing, then I asked to see the ordinance imposing the restrictions.   Days went by before they conceded no ordinances actually exist to that affect and confirmed my proposed building met the requirements of the ordinances currently and said I could get a permit.   Then, 4 days later they adopted a new ordinance to block me, and denied my permit after the fact.   They said even though they told me I complied 4 days prior, it didn't constitute a signed permit.

So.... I went and wasted 1550 bucks on an attorney who advised me that the board did not even have authority to pass such an ordinance, and that it is legally ineffective.   We notified the Township, and they are standing by it, yet they don't have the balls to issue me a denial in writing, although I have asked for it several times.

So in talking to attorney's they say my options are to spend many thousands of dollars to sue them, and ask if its worth it to me.   Townships have insurance policies to pay their legal fees so they could give a fuck, they just take the attitude... so sue me.   How fucking sad is it that in todays America the only way you are entitled to all of your rights is if you first go broke trying to defend them.  

I am checking into the criminal nature of their actions, as in MN there are laws regarding abuse of power by elected officials.   But does anyone have any good ideas for cost effective ways to fight the beast??   I have all but decided to move out of the Township, but that still won't give me total satisfaction, as I have now spent close to $2500  and have absolutely nothing to show for my efforts, other than feeling like my liberties have been violated.     Do I turn the cheek and walk away with my tail between my legs and be happy I only spent $2500 to fight for my rights or do I fight these communists and how?
View Quote

Somewhere in communist Scott county?

ETA: Just saw "LeSauk, near St Cloud"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top