User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beware of the man with nothing left to lose.

Words of wisdom.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Libtards!  I do not understand  them!
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's weird, I said something very similar just a few days ago and everybody ignored it.

Yeah...it's been stuck in my craw for some time. For everyone else, it's just a joking remark. But for one poster, it was a CoC violation, and resulted in a perma-ban (the "final straw" argument was cited)

Sorry to shit in the thread, I'll back out so things can get back on topic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who was that?  

I believe the exact phrase was "One of these days, someone is going to go killdozer on them, and I'm not going to be as conflicted as I should be."

This was several years ago.

That's weird, I said something very similar just a few days ago and everybody ignored it.

Link?!  

Que? No habla Ingles.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]
C-C-Combo post!
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who was that?  

I believe the exact phrase was "One of these days, someone is going to go killdozer on them, and I'm not going to be as conflicted as I should be."

This was several years ago.

Link?!  

Que? No habla Ingles.

Dónde está los sardines de briberyo?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
In hindsight, his mistake was asking them for permission in the first place.  It inferred that they have authority to decide.

This is his punishment for inviting bureaucrats into his life.  Should have buried his wife and let it be.

I hope he prevails.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why can't they just leave the man alone??? FUCK!!!!!!

Because he can't bury his wife there.

We don't get to do what we want willy nilly in society, regardless of the sentimentality of the situation.

Quoted:
I wish we had REAL land rights in America.

It's his land you should be able to do with and OWN your land until you give it up. You should Not have to worry about some FUCK tard Gov bitch that get's the idea you're a problem they will fix!

If you don't have Kids you don't pay school tax and the Gov can not take your land for any reason at all what so ever sometimes maybe might could should can will! Fuck off you shit bag poor excuse for humans choke your self with money you steal from people who work and make life happ

the average American moves something like every 5 or 6 years. So its not "your land" very long in many cases, but the negative effects of stuff you do in an unregulated fashion can have very long-lasting efefcts. Going after people after the fact when a problem is found is not feasible, so you have to regulate some activities before they are conducted.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't get to do what we want willy nilly in society, regardless of the sentimentality of the situation.

A decree from the government doesn't necessarily end the argument.

He owns the property and his wife's grave harms no neighbor.  Those are the only relevant facts.

Apparently our tolerance for government intrusion is a little higher than to that which you've become accustomed.

It was much more common when I was growing up, but I still know a few folks who still maintain family plots on their own land.

They don't ask anyone's permission to put kinfolk in the ground.  YMMV.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a catch 22 according to the article.  If the city has the authority to regulate cemeteries, and that is their path for saying that she can't be buried there then they have just stated that it is a cemetery.  If however it isn't a cemetery then it is a family burial plot and she can stay.  Either way, it seems to me that she gets to stay.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A decree from the government doesn't necessarily end the argument.

He owns the property and his wife's grave harms no neighbor.  Those are the only relevant facts.

Apparently our tolerance for government intrusion is a little higher than to that which you've become accustomed.

It was much more common when I was growing up, but I still know a few folks who still maintain family plots on their own land.

They don't ask anyone's permission to put kinfolk in the ground.  YMMV.  

As you note, things are different now. I would also think that some guy with a family farm of hundreds of acres would be viewed differently than some guy who wanted to bury his wife on their suburban half acre lot.Not every situation is identical.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, fuck private property rights.  

Any law the government can make is a good one, n'est pas?  

tyranny of the majority.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I fail to see a problem, unless it becomes a matter of disease potential, which I doubt would be a problem anyway.

Was she embalmed and such?  Is she in a pine box or a legit metal casket?  How deep is the grave?

Ignoring the council's decision, Davis said he and a son-in-law cranked a backhoe and dug a grave just a few feet from the house. A mortuary installed a concrete vault, and workers lowered Patsy's body into the plot in a nice, metal casket.

Lesson learned don't apply for the cemetery permit and just proceed with burial.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Oops, I pushed the wrong button.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

tyranny of the majority.  

See my second post.

Yes, the majority gets to set the rules.

Maybe if the minority is so worried about not being a majority opinion, they need to work on converting more people to their viewpoint.
The tail does not get to wag the dog, and I love how people here have a double standard; if the issue at hand has a majority opinion most here like, they think we should go with the majority opinion. If they are in the minority, some folks here think the majority shouldn't get their way.

You can't have it both ways. There are reasons we have laws, and when it comes to putting dead people in the ground, I'd say there are good reasons to limit where that can be done.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#17]
If I were a 72 year old man with the means... I'd be looking to have a bronze sculpture made of her.  It would look good on the 2' thick slab filled with rebar I'd just poured over her.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wish we had REAL land rights in America.

It's his land you should be able to do with and OWN your land until you give it up. You should Not have to worry about some FUCK tard Gov bitch that get's the idea you're a problem they will fix!

If you don't have Kids you don't pay school tax and the Gov can not take your land for any reason at all what so ever sometimes maybe might could should can will! Fuck off you shit bag poor excuse for humans choke your self with money you steal from people who work and make life happen.

I was kind of mad when I typed this.

The legal nexus that allows this type of regulation is the building permit...kinda like getting a gun permit or driving permit in order to exercise a right. Once under the permit, one must follow all terms and conditions of the permit..Past, present and future terms apply....It's a waiving of your rights, which anyone can do. There is no doubt that everyone has a right buy property to build shelter for themselves, but how many people will challenge the permit requirement?.....

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#19]
America is WAY short of guys like him.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Central Indiana.  Reasonable people compromise.  My money's on the SWAT team getting a workout, though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I do soil tests for on-site sewer systems (ie septic tanks) in south Alabama.  Had a guy call me up and ask if I would do a soil test for a family burial plot.  Never heard of a requirement for that.  Dropped by the local health department.  Sure enough there was a two pages of regulations for design and testing.  You don't even have to have it recorded on the deed unless you want to protected in the future.  Needless to say he was in the city limits and across from the city cemetery,  city determined zoning would not allow him to do it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#22]
If I buried my loved one in my front yard all hell would break loose. I live inside city limits. I also own my property outright. In this guys case the law was unclear but I still think he will lose as a family cemetery is generally rural and dates back generations.

I understand why we can"t just bury someone in our front yard (Can't even bury my dag in the backyard where I live though it is commonly done). In this case the law is dodgy and I think they should just wait the old man out. Like I said earlier, when he passes move the grave. Seems like more of a pissing match then a problem in this rural town. Let the old man live in peace, make a new law so it does not happen in the future.

Really a small issue with a easy solution. I would like a shed in my front yard but can't have that. City issues are not country. If he lived in the backwoods nobody would give a damn. So, just wait him out. His kids will need to move the grave anyhow. Who is going to buy a house in the city with a grave in the front yard that is two feet from the house...
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Am I going to be in trouble for burying my dog in the back?

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

tyranny of the majority.  

See my second post.

Maybe if the minority is so worried about not being a majority opinion, they need to work on converting more people to their viewpoint. LOL. I wonder if the freedom riders and Rosa Parks would agree with that philosophy. The tail does not get to wag the dog, and I love how people here have a double standard; if the issue at hand has a majority opinion most here like, they think we should go with the majority opinion. If they are in the minority, some folks here think the majority shouldn't get their way.

You can't have it both ways. There are reasons we have laws, and when it comes to putting dead people in the ground, I'd say there are good reasons to limit where that can be done.

Except the lawyer penguin said it was an ex post facto law––something the Constitution specifically forbids.   In addition, she was buried in complaince with all healthcodes and had the sanitation department approve of it, so there really is no good reason to force him to move the body other than somebody thought it was "icky" and wants to use the coercive power of the government to stop something "icky."
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo this!

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#26]
They'll probably send in the SWAT team along with a APC.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#27]

[/quote]

It says she's been buried there since 2009 and the city wants to set an example.  .[/quote]

Looks like and old man is about to set an example on why not to fuck with an old man with nothing to lose.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

tyranny of the majority.  

To an extent....yes.

Nobody wants a hog farm in town or a salvage yard next door. Zoning laws exist for a very good reason. Perhaps taking into account what can and cannot be done on one's property and comparing it to one's desires for said property should happen before purchase. That however requires forethought and Jethro usually lacks this so instead he will bitch about the government trampling property rights by telling him collecting old tires and rusty Camaros on the front lawn is not acceptable.

FWIW I think they should just leave the old man be since he likely has few years left. Then dig Ma Clampet up and bury her elsewhere.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tyranny of the majority.  

See my second post.

Maybe if the minority is so worried about not being a majority opinion, they need to work on converting more people to their viewpoint. LOL. I wonder if the freedom riders and Rosa Parks would agree with that philosophy. The tail does not get to wag the dog, and I love how people here have a double standard; if the issue at hand has a majority opinion most here like, they think we should go with the majority opinion. If they are in the minority, some folks here think the majority shouldn't get their way.

Except the lawyer penguin said it was an ex post facto law––something the Constitution specifically forbids.   In addition, she was buried in complaince with all healthcodes and had the sanitation department approve of it, so there really is no good reason to force him to move the body other than somebody thought it was "icky" and wants to use the coercive power of the government to stop something "icky."

Exactly.  No where was it stated the burial was against existing codes.  They just denied the permit which is for establishing a commercial establishment.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.  No where was it stated the burial was against existing codes.  They just denied the permit which is for establishing a commercial establishment.

I would agree that they have to go with the laws on the books and can't change it mid-stream.

I would have thought that most places would have something covering this situation on the books a long time ago by now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's his land and the official report says it won't cause any sanitation problems... Why bother him?  

I agree. Too many stupid regulations are in place.

Wrong.

It's "his land" until he fails to pay property taxes, so it's never really owned by anyone.

His land, just like your income is only a gift. Uncle Sugar gets to decide how much you will keep, and for how long. The highest historical tax rate was 94% in 1944. They can take it all with the stroke of a pen.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#33]
City's have large Cemeteries

what is one more in a front yard

I do not see a problem with that

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#34]
"The United States Supreme Court has said that the states, and the cities through the states, have the power to regulate. But if it goes too far ... then the government's got to pay, and there are certain things the government just doesn't have the power to do," he said. "As we get bigger and as government gets bigger and as people are more regulated ... you start having more and more disagreements."

No shit?

Those folks would be best off leaving that old man alone. Deal with it after he passes if its still a big ordeal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
City's have large Cemeteries

what is one more in a front yard

I do not see a problem with that

Ghosts.  You don't want them all over do you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit. Is having things their way really THAT important?

I've been saying it for years. "Officiousness is a poor substitute for wisdom." Just because it's a rule doesn't mean it has to be enforced.

My new fence is a perfect example.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/bstonemega/2012-05-22193501.jpg

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Add 1 - 1 1/2" of dirt around bottom, problem solved

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 1:04:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The highest historical tax rate was 94% in 1944. They can take it all with the stroke of a pen.

i will never pay more than 50 percent in taxes.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 1:07:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The highest historical tax rate was 94% in 1944. They can take it all with the stroke of a pen.

I'm sure many agreed back then and dodged as much as they could.

The point is that it's not yours, it all belongs to .gov, it is only through divine altruism that you get to keep any of it.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 2:00:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to let people bury their dead relatives where ever they want.

We have cemeteries for a reason.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You probably do already when you roll in sales tax, employer match on ss and Medicare , corporate income tax built into everything you buy, licensing fees etc.

Your masters have just structured it so it's harder to see if you're not paying attention.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://news.yahoo.com/ala-man-fights-keep-wife-buried-front-yard-153303814.html

Davis is adamant that he won't move the body, regardless of what any court says.

"If they get it done it'll be after I'm gone," said Davis. "So if they order her to be moved, it's a death sentence to me. I'll meet Mama sooner than I planned on it."

Beware of the man with nothing left to lose.

You got that right brother......
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Is this really happening in America?

Hassling a guy for burying his wife according to her wishes is a bit absurd.

Wait till they bring in a crew of illegal aliens to dig her up.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top