Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you aren't taking it off road, the Grom will probably serve you better and has a passenger seat.

I've had a Grom for a number of years, it's a credible motorcycle that I enjoy a great deal for riding around my lake community. I would expect the Monkey to me much the same but maybe a little slower up top because of the tire tread-these bikes make only about 9hp so the acceleration from 45 to 55 isn't all that brisk. A Grom will do 62mph with a clean haircut and a lot of flat ground but is pretty much done accelerating at 55mph. Plenty of oomph to get you and a passenger around on 45mph roads.

But I have to say, you can buy a hell of a lot of used bike for the kind of money you'd spend on a Monkey. These smaller bikes are a riot around town, but sooner or later your adventures start to get a little larger and they fall out of their element. Not too many people want to do a weekend trip on a Grom or Monkey.
View Quote

Rally Raid is starting to make kits for them now. :)
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Be better off with a Dual Sport.  KLR type.  Used 650 or Super Sherpa.  Easier to control, take off road and resale will be easier if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Do your feet even reach the ground on that?

And those chicks are laughing at you, not with you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
These guys did 1k miles on a pair of Monkeys.

View Quote

Lolz...

These guys did moar

https://youtu.be/dgY-dgEjkj4
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Friend of the family's wifes rides one.  She wears a yellow safety vest on it.  If that's your style, go for it!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like Honda dusted off some plans from the ‘70s.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I would look like a monkey humping a football on that thing
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#9]
OP's going to die on mini bike
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get a supermoto.
View Quote

This.

I’ve ridden Groms and Monkey bikes and they’re fun for a little while. A little while.

A supermoto is fun all the fucking time,
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.

I’ve ridden Groms and Monkey bikes and they’re fun for a little while. A little while.

A supermoto is fun all the fucking time,
View Quote

I'm seriously thinking of getting a 2020 Husky Vitpilen. Trading in my Tiger 955i.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
looks like $4k.
View Quote

Why?

I have a cheap 300cc bike that I’ll use to commute 15-20 miles.. but if you’re only going ~3-4 miles why drop $4,000? Buy a bicycle and reap the cost savings and health benefits.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First I would say not for an only bike. But I would buy the new trail 125 (whatever it’s called) or the Honda super cub first.
View Quote

Super Cub! ......film trailer 1

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

5’10”. 170 lbs.

I’ve been riding motorcycles since I was 10 (I’m 30 now) and have/had plenty of bikes over the years and this is by far the most fun and least high-maintenance.
View Quote

Have you ridden a grom? How does it compare?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not just get yourself a Moped .

gd
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]
KLX230.  $4600 MSRP if you don't have to have ABS...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#17]

I love the Monkey and the new Trail 125 is both excellent and cool, but this Yamaha is a great bike that goes anywhere and you get a little more grunt with the 200cc engine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#18]
What's old is new again,
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#19]

I just picked up a scooter like this one. The wife unit isn't to excited.
From everything I've read, it's not supposed to be my first bike.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Do it!  I had the original 50cc Monkey back in ‘72.  Dad brought it home from Japan in his duffle bags on a C-141. It’s a little easier when you’re the Loadmaster.  
I want one of these in a real bad way, but just no where or no time to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#21]
So its like the old Trail 70 grew up and cost $4000.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.2040motos.com%2F_content%2Fcars%2Fimages%2F71%2F258371%2F003.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I just picked up a scooter like this one. The wife unit isn't to excited.
From everything I've read, it's not supposed to be my first bike.
View Quote

Its a solid first bike. not the best, but certainly not the worst.

I would have gone with the 48.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I miss my childhood and riding around in huge orchards on an old honda trail 70.

Mom got drunk one night and decided she wanted to impress my neighbors by whiskey throttleing it all the way into a tractor tire.

I remember all i could think about was my chrome fender. Didnt check on mom. Just couldnt believe what she had done to my fender.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Only worth it if the chick in the OP pic is part of the deal.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its a solid first bike. not the best, but certainly not the worst.

I would have gone with the 48.
View Quote

I like the 48 looks better. But I like the mid controls on mine so far(stock pic has forward controls) and taller bars. I'm in my 50's, so comfort is ahead of looks at this stage in life. Otherwise I would have a 48 bobber style. Or a Cafe Sporty.

A friend made me a hell of a deal too. $2500
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like my old Honda 50 I had when I was a kid. I think the name monkey is gay though.

Is it still a 3spd with no clutch?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  It’s like the old 50cc Monkey grew up and costs $4000
Monkey was the street version sold in Japan.  the US market got the Trail 50 without turn signals and with knobby tires.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I ride a Kawasaki version of the Grom, it's much easier to get on and off than my Yamaha XT 225.

The XT is a lot easier to get on and off than the XL 250 I sometimes ride.

The Africa Twin I get to ride is taller and more difficult than the previous bikes.

For around the neighborhood and short trips to the store the Grom size bike is my choice.

BTW, I'm 74, so tall bikes seem to be getting taller every year.

That said, the Africa Twin has a really nice throb feeling and great torque.

The Van Van and TW 200 are great fun.  The TW is supposed to be lower than the XT, but it sure doesn't seem that way to me.

Scooters are great for short trips and they carry stuff really well.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I like the 48 looks better. But I like the mid controls on mine so far(stock pic has forward controls) and taller bars. I'm in my 50's, so comfort is ahead of looks at this stage in life. Otherwise I would have a 48 bobber style. Or a Cafe Sporty.

A friend made me a hell of a deal too. $2500
View Quote

Im shorter, so ride height is an issue for me, and i can put both feet down on the 48. Not so for the sportster. That ultimately would have been my deciding factor, and almost was recently. Still on the fence. I think ill likely get a zero instead moving forward. I like electric.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Monkey was the street version sold in Japan.  the US market got the Trail 50 without turn signals and with knobby tires.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems more like the old Monkey stayed the exact same size but got electric start and disc brakes, so more complicated/expensive for no real reason.  I mean seriously, if you need electric start on a 49cc Honda I highly doubt you would then possess the strength to actually ride it I could start my Z50 before I could fully retract the charging handle to load an AR.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seems more like the old Monkey stayed the exact same size but got electric start and disc brakes, so more complicated/expensive for no real reason.  I mean seriously, if you need electric start on a 49cc Honda I highly doubt you would then possess the strength to actually ride it I could start my Z50 before I could fully retract the charging handle to load an AR.
View Quote

I would take both upgrades on any bike. Especially as a commuter.

Can never go wrong with superior brakes in traffic, and electric start is great, especially for new riders, in the event that they kill their motor in traffic.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:06:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This post is as clueless as most of the people posting in here.

The new Monkey is almost double the size of the old 50cc Monkey. The new Monkey is also a 125cc with fuel injection, electric start, and disc brakes/abs.

Edit to add: the new Monkey is also 4spd manual. Go read the specs on Honda’s website people.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why not just buy a grom if you want to look like a weirdo who makes poor life choices?
View Quote

if you want to look like someone who makes poor life choices you'd buy a new pickup truck at 55K or more
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:43:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why not just buy a grom if you want to look like a weirdo who makes poor life choices?
View Quote

Saw a 'kid' leaving the local Community College about a mile from my house on a Grom. Followed him toward home and then laughed my @ss of as he hit the steep hill around the corner, his speed rapidly diminished to Warp -10 and he had to foot paddle to get it up the hill. I hate those goofy little POS's.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:56:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Holy hell when I saw op's location and the bike I thought the same thing!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:03:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I saw one the other day and it was pretty freaking awesome.

3.5 miles, I’d go sit on that and then I’d go check out a used grom on Facebook marketplace or craigslist first. There’s a ton of them for sale.

I would have a grom right now except I don’t want to get run over by some high school girl texting her boyfriend while driving....
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#37]
wtf, looks like one half of a powered rollerblade set

Quoted:
tell me about the monkey bike.

thinking of using for my 3.5 mile commute to work.

http://ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Honda-Monkey-2.jpg
View Quote

Goddamn OP, get your big ass a proper bicycle or a fun little jeep or something.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Saw a 'kid' leaving the local Community College about a mile from my house on a Grom. Followed him toward home and then laughed my @ss of as he hit the steep hill around the corner, his speed rapidly diminished to Warp -10 and he had to foot paddle to get it up the hill. I hate those goofy little POS's.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#38]

1,000 Miles in Baja on Honda Monkeys
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:17:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Why not? Guys do walk down the streets these days holding hands too. So why can't you too!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:19:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

You might have seen something but it wasn’t a Grom in proper running condition.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:53:23 AM EDT
[#41]
That new trail 125 looks fun.  I’ll have to check one of those out this spring.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:46:36 AM EDT
[#42]
I learned to ride on a Honda mini trail 50 (my Dad got some very stern looks Mom when he brought it home, I was 5 yrs old) a very long time ago. Even after I moved on to bigger bikes my dad used the little Honda for years to check cattle and tool around the farm. After seeing this post I may go get a Monkey just for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:58:43 AM EDT
[#43]
My uncle had a honda trail 90. My cousin and I would ride it all over the back roads. A few years ago I was interested in getting a honda Ruckus bud changed my mind.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Different strokes for different folks.

The Monkey appeals more to hipsters.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This post is as clueless as most of the people posting in here.

The new Monkey is almost double the size of the old 50cc Monkey. The new Monkey is also a 125cc with fuel injection, electric start, and disc brakes/abs.

Edit to add: the new Monkey is also 4spd manual. Go read the specs on Honda’s website people.
View Quote

Was gonna tag you. I haven't seen you on IG in a while.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Yamaha V-Star 250

Appears to be a bit bigger but still very easy to put both you feet down (at least that's my understanding) has a bit of a retro look.  It's a 320 pound bike, so it's light.  But it's going to have a lot more ability. I mean, your commute could be done on a bike really easy, so it's a very low bar, but there's going to be times when you want to go a bit further than 3 miles (or whatever) and this should give you just a ton more.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No way I'd pay almost 5k for a bike that has been made for what, 25 years, when there are so many low miles used ones on the market.
View Quote
Yeah I mean a 1995 sells for about $3200 so why pay $1000 more for a brand new one

They hold their value like crazy
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They're like fat girls, fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Does it come stock with Ohlins ?

It does look like a bike millennials get because they are afraid of a real motorcycle, or hipsters get because they think it's cool.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top