User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, Here's how WE did it back in the day. Dad would wake us at about 4:30 am. We'd eat breakfast, get dressed in our oversized hunting jacket and pants.("daaaad these things are too big". Dad: "you'll grow into them, just roll the sleeves up") Then load the guns and stuff into a '47 Willys and head down to Ecklands timber.(always had "millions" of squirrels)Walk in real quiet like, find a "good" tree to lean against, and wait untill sun up. Dad always brought Uncle Jimmys .22 with a scope, my brother carried a .22/.410 OU, I had a 20 GA.(yeah, I know, I was 9)We could not move or make a sound. Dad would then proceed to peer through the scope, scanning the trees. When the sun was up, he'd just start looking around and then, BANG! "ya get him dad"? dad:"yep". Then BANG! "ya get him dad"? dad: "yep". This went on for a while.Us kids wanted to run and get a squirrel every time he shot, but he wouldn't let us.("don't need you guys makin'any noise")Then it would be over. We'd go to every tree he shot into and lo and behold, a dead squirrel under each one.(sometimes we'd have to climb the tree to get one that was stuck on a limb)This may sound like pure BS but, 'ol dad NEVER missed a shot! The limit was 6 a day,each day we went, 6 shots/6 squirrels. Then we took 'em home and skinned 'em (I thought they skinned easy, easier than a catfish)gutted 'em, soaked 'em over night in a little salted water, and then ate the tasty little rascals with squirrel gravy, mashed potatos, and green beans. God, I miss those times!!
AB
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I tend to use squirrel season as scouting trips prior to deer season. If I get a squirrel, or a nap, while I am out in the woods, then even better! Waking up at the base of a tree from a nap on an early September morning is a wonderful thing, and you are usually surrounded by squirrels at that point. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would much rather eat a little pussy than eat a little squirrel.
Lebrew
View Quote

Are you talking kittens, or full grown cats here?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup! I'm in west central OH, and I eat squirrels whenever I can.  I usually hunt them down around Mcarthur though, since there's not much woods here worth hunting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
here in Wisconsin, out on my land many years ago we use to have black squirrels... the damn red squirrels killed them all, thay kill gray squirrels too...

so at least one weekend every year, ITS PAYBACK TIME!!!! I go out with my 10/22 and about one thousand rounds of ammo and waste as many red squirrels as I can find. don't give-a-shit if im over my bag limit.. cause I don't pick them up.
View Quote

Jesus guy! Is there anything you aren't an idiot about?! Oh my God! Please please please, always cross fences with your weapon off safe with a round in the chamber and disregard the strap when in your deer stand. Eat egg salad that has been in the sun, ignore that abcess, and screw looking both ways, those cars have brakes. Most of all go away! Depart this place and haunt us no more with your empty headed ramblings and obvious moral, ethical, and educational void! Begone foul spirit! Away!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there anything you can't turn into an argument, its not like im going to make squirrels extinct. you can kill them all, more keep showing up. hehe.

and yes I do keep my safety off, unless you have your finger on the trigger its not going to fire. only morons like yourself would walk around with your finger on the trigger.

And FYI there aren't any fences on my land, all woods, just the trees animals, and most important no PEOPLE
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
You need to learn how to do it starting under the tail.  I can't explain it, but ask around and someone will show you.  The old split-the-back method leaves bunches of hair on the carcass and is very difficult to do.  If done while still warm, you can skin them by standing on the tailbone and pulling upward and it is much easier.  Ask around.
View Quote

Thanks, Beekeeper, I appreciate the advice, but I have screwed up both methods; the one you suggest and the other one you mention.[B)]

A friend from a VERY rural area says 'the man' comes to get the dead cows and uses compressed air to blow the hide loose and the cow just rolls right out - suggests that I try that w/squirrels - scared me bad.[:o]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]
you'll learn how to skin eventualy, it's easyer to learn on a large animal though, you peal back the skin now, you'll see a film like layer holding the skin on you just keep sliceing the film layer and pealing back the skin, now there is usualy a white layer under the film layer, this white layer is fat, you dont want the fat on your skin, so make sure your just getting the skin off.

now you want to streach your skin on a board, you can do that with just small tacks or nails, a hammer, and a scrap piece of wood. then leave it sit untill the skin is dry.

I start to skin the animal arround the rib cage, it's just easyer for me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top