Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:47:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My chickens are like children to me. The wife and I love our chickens as much as you assholes love your dogs and kids.  If someone killed one of my chickens, they would feel the wrath and beg for a merciful death. Hurt my chicken=I hurt you.

keep 'em on your property...and they will stay off my grill.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
double cluck.

is that a chicken joke?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shes not a full blood rot is she?
Quoted:
Keep em out of my yard.

http://i39.tinypic.com/jzeqo.jpg

no 1/2 golden retriever

It looks like she made a golden retrieve on that marauding chicken.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be too proud of my dog for wasting the neighbors chickens!!  And unfortunately.....you will not be able to own chickens either.  

Really should break your dog of killing chickens, it will likely bode ill for you and the hound in the future.

Might just be the farm boy in me talking. However, I've seen my dad shoot his own dog if it wouldn't stop killing chickens.

only  way to break my dog of killing chickens is if the neighbors actually secure their chickens.
Its not legal to keep chickens where I live anyway. I could be a total dick and call the city on them but I wont. Hell I may need to buy eggs off them in the future.

That was her first chicken anyway. Neighbors just got them. She already bagged 5 Opossums, 1 cat, and one  dove. She leaves the endangered storks alone for some reason. They seem to get along. She also wont screw with the Egrets and leaves the Archaeopteryx Anhingas alone as well.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't be too proud of my dog for wasting the neighbors chickens!!  And unfortunately.....you will not be able to own chickens either.  

Really should break your dog of killing chickens, it will likely bode ill for you and the hound in the future.

Might just be the farm boy in me talking. However, I've seen my dad shoot his own dog if it wouldn't stop killing chickens.

only  way to break my dog of killing chickens is if the neighbors actually secure their chickens.
Its not legal to keep chickens where I live anyway. I could be a total dick and call the city on them but I wont. Hell I may need to buy eggs off them in the future.

That was her first chicken anyway. Neighbors just got them. She already bagged 5 Opossums, 1 cat, and one  dove. She leaved teh endangered storks alone for some reasons. They seem to get along. She also wont screw with the Egrets and leaves the Archaeopteryx Anhingas alone as well.

Good doggie!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My chickens are like children to me. The wife and I love our chickens as much as you assholes love your dogs and kids.  If someone killed one of my chickens, they would feel the wrath and beg for a merciful death. Hurt my chicken=I hurt you.

So I am an a**hole because the neighbors didn't secure their chickens? Very Liberal minded of you. If your chicken got in my yard, my dog kills it and you do something to my dog or myself. First to even think like that says you area  complete psychopath, and second I would make damn sure you got hauled off to jail for a while.

ETA my sarcasm meter is in the shop. Should have it back Monday.  Sorry for jumping the gun P
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't we all just get along.

Hell I would have kept it to see if it would give me some eggs.

Usually I just toss em back over the fence but once my dog gets em. They are dead within seconds.

Only problem I really have with chickens is the ticks and mites.

Mites on birds I've heard of. I've never been around chickens. Do they get a lot of ticks or something? Wouldn't a tick get picked off in 2/10's a second by any bird?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My chickens are like children to me. The wife and I love our chickens as much as you assholes love your dogs and kids. If someone killed one of my chickens, they would feel the wrath and beg for a merciful death. Hurt my chicken=I hurt you.

I'm sorry, but there's something about people who love prey animals that I just don't get.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Had a neighbor that had 2 pitbulls that came into our yard periodically to kill chickens that were penned up. They would dig like crazy to get under the fence. Both were dispatched via Ruger 44 Mag Deerstalker rifle.

Neighbor just wouldn't keep his dogs penned or fenced.

If you can't keep 'em home, you don't need 'em.

So you SSS?

While I'm not a fan of pitts, I'd have a hard time killing a dog unless it was a vicious threat like that, and I'd probably be out there with pepper spray or an air rifle first. Better to scare fido away than get hauled to jail for discharging a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just expect the same when you come into mine. I have a neighbor Rot that killed six of mine in my backyard last year. Next time I see it in my yard, he's going to doggy heaven.

Yep. My neighbors just can't seem to keep a dog. Guess they need to keep them out of my yard and away from my coop.
Once they get one they will seek out others.
To bad the bird got in your yard.
Big difference is people don't really get attached to a chicken like a puppy.
The dog will seek out bird once they get the taste.
Oh, well. Life in the country.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the legality of shooting a local doberman that intrudes onto my deck?

Did you already try talking to the owner?

Yes. He said: "Go ahead. I have a gun too" . I have no idea if the dog is vicious, I assume it is. It scares the shit out of my wife.

Sounds like a great guy.  I would call animal control next time it happens.  They'll take the dog, and he'll have to deal with some BS to get it back.  I know it isn't as cool as some guys here would like, but if it comes down to it, I'd rather just play my cards right and let him deal with a legal entity.

Judging by his response, I would just make sure to go the legal route with the guy in case he's some wacko that will cause you more grief down the line.

Good luck.

NEVER TALK TO THE OWNER!  When are people gonna get it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My chickens are like children to me. The wife and I love our chickens as much as you assholes love your dogs and kids. If someone killed one of my chickens, they would feel the wrath and beg for a merciful death. Hurt my chicken=I hurt you.

I'm sorry, but there's something about people who love prey animals that I just don't get.

He's making fun of a post in another thread, about a guy who killed two dogs running loose on his property.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I am an a**hole because the neighbors didn't secure their chickens? Very Liberal minded of you. If your chicken got in my yard, my dog kills it and you do something to my dog or myself. First to even think like that says you area  complete psychopath, and second I would make damn sure you got hauled off to jail for a while.

Kind of what I was thinking.  I'm hoping Pangea was meaning in general, as in, if your dog/animal got in HIS yard and killed his chickens.  Of course, that would be the same point as this post.  HOWEVER, if he is stating that he would retaliate if his dumb ass chickens were stupid enough (which they usually are) to jump in the backyard of a big dog, then I say WTF....

I don't believe in the immidiate assasination of "tresspassing" animals on my property.  I have several neighbor dogs that sometimes get out and wander our little culdesac.  None are mean or viscious (of course my toy poodle is a dick sometimes, but I tell the neighbors to ignore him), the shephard mix is harmless, unless you come on the property w/o approval.  I just attempt a roundup, and take them home.  Even strange dogs that wander up, I attempt to corral due to the busy street at the entrance of the culdesac.  If one becomes viscious, though, it will either be chased off to catch a car in the face, or turn on me and catch a .45.

NOW, the stray bastard cat that gets in my garage, gets a BB from a red ryder BB gun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#14]
My grandfather and parents have sent many a neighbors dogs to Doggie heaven for coming onto their property and going for the chickens. They usually kill about 10 hunting dogs a year during hunting season alone. But hunters look at dogs as expendibles like ammo. Only the pet owners tend to get upset, but the law is stacked way against them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am thinking about raising some free range guinea hens this summer

i hate ticks

I should be able to convince them to roost back in a pen but to be effective they will need to range over the unfenced back acre woodlot

it could be an interesting experiment

I have pulled about a dozen Ticks this week off my 2 dogs, and I found 4 crawlers on me

I HATE TICKS!

spoon

Guineas will nest where they WANT to nest.  They are not quite like normal poultry.

Best guinea roost is an open shed with rafters they can roost on.  It's what the ones on our farm prefer 9 times out of 10.  That last one tends to get eaten.  But then the figures are more like 9 out of 9. They are the slightly less domestic chicken alternative.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who could be mad at that face?

the chicken??

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. He said: "Go ahead. I have a gun too" . I have no idea if the dog is vicious, I assume it is. It scares the shit out of my wife.

Sounds like a great guy.  I would call animal control next time it happens.  They'll take the dog, and he'll have to deal with some BS to get it back.  I know it isn't as cool as some guys here would like, but if it comes down to it, I'd rather just play my cards right and let him deal with a legal entity.

Judging by his response, I would just make sure to go the legal route with the guy in case he's some wacko that will cause you more grief down the line.

Good luck.

Sometimes civilized people can talk to one another and solve a problem.  I dealt with an idiot neighbor in a similar situation to this, and believe it or not, everything worked out fine.  I didn't need to shoot his dog, I didn't need to do anything drastic.  Sometimes I think some around here just live for an opportunity to try to be a badass.  

Feel free to explain why you should NEVER TALK TO THE OWNER,  I'm willing to bet there are more exceptions to your rule than you would be willing to admit.  Remember, you emphasized NEVER.

ETA:  I do understand that some people are just not reasonable, and if you know that beforehand, it should be taken into consideration.  But to say NEVER is excessive.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try making friends with it. Despite their reputation, dobermans are sweeties.

Any neighborhood dog who comes over to say "hi" is always going to be welcome, and sometimes well fed.

yeah, a few years back my bus stop for high school was right next to a fence where a rottweiler lived. we didnt go near the fence for the first three weeks. then when we finally did we found out how nice the dog was. they are not all bad, it depends on how they were raised (though sometimes even that isnt enough). but remember, there is a reason these dogs have these reputations.

pertaining to the one on the porch i would talk with the owner and try to make friends with these dogs. that said, if it dosint want to be friends and comes into your yard kill it (preemptive strike might even be neccesary if your kids are at stake and it has proven it can get out already. no sensible jury should find you guilty when protecting your family, but you can bet a scumbag lawyer would take the case against you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't we all just get along.

Hell I would have kept it to see if it would give me some eggs.

Usually I just toss em back over the fence but once my dog gets em. They are dead within seconds.

Only problem I really have with chickens is the ticks and mites.

When I had chickens, I never saw a tick cause the chickens loved to eat them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#21]
ticks on chickens, now that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard
the jackass down the road got very upset when i shot his dog for stalking my chickens
he wanted me to call him if i saw his mut in my yard, i'm sure it would not be to late
dog=worthless
chickens=eggs+meat
you do the math
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#22]
so everyone here advocating shooting someone else's loose dog would be fine if your dog got shot if he escaped, right? Yes I know your dog will never dig under the fence, break off the leash, or some other accident happen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#23]
We have problems with feral "livestock" (hogs) in Texas.  Generally if it is unmarked/tagged - I think it is considered feral and fair game.  Unmarked cattle most likely have special laws (that are so old nobody remembers them).  Pretty sure with chickens your neighbor is at fault for not clipping their wings - so your doggy is not a criminal.

That said - keep your dog well penned.  I have had diggers, pushers, and my father had climbers.  It is possible to keep most all contained w/o a solid floor and roof - but you have to be smarter than the canine.  I found 2' of chicken wire works wonders to stop diggers (6" up the fence, 18" on the ground - mow tight, lay, and topdress - you will never see it again.  Likewise wire on top at a pretty decent inward angle will defeat most climbers.  Reinforcing the fence will stop most pushers - but hot wires are easier (did not stop my labs - 1/4" steel welded panel fencing did - only took about 1' along the bottom).
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Who could be mad at that face?

no kidding...  i just puked a rainbow...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
IBTCA   - In Before The Chicken Apologists

My chicken didn't hurt no-body.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you missed the sarcasm in that post.  

In your defense, I have 4 chickens, if they jump the fence, they are fair game.  While I would appreciate someone just tossing em back over the fence and letting me know to clip thier feathers, I would hold no grudge.  Especially against a dog.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
so everyone here advocating shooting someone else's loose dog would be fine if your dog got shot if he escaped, right? Yes I know your dog will never dig under the fence, break off the leash, or some other accident happen.

100% correct, if my chickens, turkeys, peacocks come into your yard you have the right to kill it
if you dog comes into my yard i also have that right
don't assume your dog means more to you than my kids chickens do to them

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Sometimes civilized people can talk to one another and solve a problem.  I dealt with an idiot neighbor in a similar situation to this, and believe it or not, everything worked out fine.  I didn't need to shoot his dog, I didn't need to do anything drastic.  Sometimes I think some around here just live for an opportunity to try to be a badass.  

Feel free to explain why you should NEVER TALK TO THE OWNER,  I'm willing to bet there are more exceptions to your rule than you would be willing to admit.  Remember, you emphasized NEVER.

ETA:  I do understand that some people are just not reasonable, and if you know that beforehand, it should be taken into consideration.  But to say NEVER is excessive.

It's not the first time it happened and this is the same neighbor who had to shoot his own pit bull when it attacked one of these two dobies. He's had many complaints from all of his neighbors about his dogs.

I just told him that if his dog ran on my deck again "I wouldn't have a problem shooting it."

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In your defense, I have 4 chickens, if they jump the fence, they are fair game.  While I would appreciate someone just tossing em back over the fence and letting me know to clip thier feathers, I would hold no grudge.  Especially against a dog.

Shhhhhhh. I'm reeling 'em in.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#32]
As another poster said... yeah, you probably won't be able to own chickens now unless you get rid of the dog.  I've seen plenty of dogs get addicted to killing chickens.  My own, included.

The only dog I ever saw that got broke of killing chickens was the neighbor's after he tried to stomp his dog to death.  The dog survived and never killed another chicken again.

I don't know what it is, but once a dog gets started killing chickens, its almost impossible to make them stop.  Its better than sex for dogs.  They love it.

You might want to keep an eye on your dog now.  If he can get outside your yard, I'm betting he'll go over to the neighbors for his next kill before much longer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#33]
awesome dog right there, catching dinner
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Your just lucky the neighbor doesn't have a mule.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd have to agree with the psychopath assessment.  Anyone who equates the worth of a chicken to that of a child is just retarded.

Children meat is clearly superior to chicken meat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Watch out for those vicious Pit-Chickens.  Those bad boys will rip your toenails out and spit them in your eyes.  Thankfully it's usually trailer trash that own them to protect their illegal egg-cooking operations.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am thinking about raising some free range guinea hens this summer

i hate ticks

I should be able to convince them to roost back in a pen but to be effective they will need to range over the unfenced back acre woodlot

it could be an interesting experiment

I have pulled about a dozen Ticks this week off my 2 dogs, and I found 4 crawlers on me

I HATE TICKS!

spoon

Where the hell in PA do you live that you get so many ticks so early?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

This thread has gone full retard.

If your chickens are in my yard I will kill them.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The sad tragedy of not reading the actual thread.  Two pages too much for you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#40]
You damn bastard I LOVE CHICKENS

No wait  errrrrr I mean HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHHAHAHA  I love em FRIED

u-gooddog
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The sad tragedy of not reading the actual thread.  Two pages too much for you?

I read the whole thread and I stand by my comment.

Regardless of what the poster meant.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
the jackass down the road got very upset when i shot his dog for stalking my chickens
he wanted me to call him if i saw his mut in my yard, i'm sure it would not be to late
dog=worthless
chickens=eggs+meat
you do the math

My math says your chickens will die on my property if I dont beat my dog to it. I will toss it back, not so much from my mutt.

as far as ticks? I am not a farmer so I don't know all that much about chicken other than they are best cooked by Peruvians. Ticks, mites, anything else I dont know. Chickens are damn nasty filthy birds regardless. Some of you guys sure get emotional over the death of a friggen chicken.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhhhh. I'm reeling 'em in.  

LOL you got me

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
dog=worthless
chickens=eggs+meat
you do the math

My math says your chickens will die on my property if I dont beat my dog to it. I will toss it back, not so much from my mutt.

as far as ticks? I am not a farmer so I don't know all that much about chicken other than they are best cooked by Peruvians. Ticks, mites, anything else I dont know. Chickens are damn nasty filthy birds regardless. Some of you guys sure get emotional over the death of a friggen chicken.

I bet they avoid the chicken freezers at the grocery store.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As another poster said... yeah, you probably won't be able to own chickens now unless you get rid of the dog.  I've seen plenty of dogs get addicted to killing chickens.  My own, included.

The only dog I ever saw that got broke of killing chickens was the neighbor's after he tried to stomp his dog to death.  The dog survived and never killed another chicken again.

I don't know what it is, but once a dog gets started killing chickens, its almost impossible to make them stop.  Its better than sex for dogs.  They love it.

You might want to keep an eye on your dog now.  If he can get outside your yard, I'm betting he'll go over to the neighbors for his next kill before much longer.

Exactly,,,,,,,,,,,,
Once a dog tastes chicken blood, it is almost impossible to make them stop.
The OP's dog will be going to the neighbors looking for chicken now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly,,,,,,,,,,,,
Once a dog tastes chicken blood, it is almost impossible to make them stop.
The OP's dog will be going to the neighbors looking for chicken now.

Yup, they have an instinct for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Animal on your land = Good Kill.

Everytime.

My old man use to raise fighting chickens and we would kill dogs in a heartbeat if they wandered on our property and chased the chickens.  The dog owners would come crying to us and my old man would tell them "when my chickens start killing your dogs have at it" then he would say "hold it if one of my chicken kills your dogs I will buy my own chicken from you (fighting chickens remember)"

So OP don't get butthurt if your dog gets dealt with.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Animal on your land = Good Kill.

Everytime.

My old man use to raise fighting chickens and we would kill dogs in a heartbeat if they wandered on our property and chased the chickens.  The dog owners would come crying to us and my old man would tell them "when my chickens start killing your dogs have at it" then he would say "hold it if one of my chicken kills your dogs I will buy my own chicken from you (fighting chickens remember)"

So OP don't get butthurt if your dog gets dealt with.

The chicken went into the OP's own fenced in backyard.  If someone tried to "deal with it", they would be in a heap of trouble.

From the original poster:
Unless my dog learns to fly over the fence like the chickens. I am not chaining her up.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Tag for dinner pics
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly,,,,,,,,,,,,
Once a dog tastes children blood, it is almost impossible to make them stop.
The OP's dog will be going to the neighbors looking for children now.

WHAT!!!

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top