User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Yah, what's creepy is I know intimate details about you people, and I don't even know what you look like!

I also think a lot of people here take this board way too seriously.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is only anonymous if you want it to be. I have been fortunate enough to meet many people from this board. I feel fortunate that a place like this exists. I hope that you will realize  one day what you are truly missing about this place.
View Quote

My comment was meant to convey the fact that you can be fairly comfortable with your anonymity here considering how much personal information is shared.  I see people freely offering their names at times but no one demanding except for transactions.   I think the cyber names (and avatars) here are very entertaining and fun to use and I actually prefer them to the 3D names.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is only anonymous if you want it to be. I have been fortunate enough to meet many people from this board. I feel fortunate that a place like this exists. I hope that you will realize  one day what you are truly missing about this place.
View Quote

My comment was meant to convey the fact that you can be fairly comfortable with your anonymity here considering how much personal information is shared.  I see people freely offering their names at times but no one demanding except for transactions.   I think the cyber names (and avatars) here are very entertaining and fun to use and I actually prefer them to the 3D names.
View Quote

Yeah, I like your cyber name. So, when are you going to leave the poor girl alone?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a picture of me in my profile.

I go to gunstores and hear things like, "Hesse is a government contractor" and "you won't find an FFL who will do a transfer for less than $40."

Now ask me again why I hang out here.

Oh - and I'm not wearing nay pants either [;)]

I am a regular member of two other on-line "communities" - one more actively than here. I also post occasionally at several others.

Some of us (*cough* KBaker *cough*) have some serious internet presence and are some prolific internetizens.

I have met several folks from this board and others in person - like others have said - the internet can be a "weird" anti-social "lifestyle" if you want it to be and if you let it be. Also, it can facilitate or add to your normal lifestyle. Since the reason most of us are here is that we like to go OUTSIDE and shoot rifles, I doubt that that is a problem with folks here.

Since my screen name is my actual name, one of these days I will likely bump into someone who recognizes me from here. Why is that so bad?

Is it more "normal" to sit on a couch and watch TV for hours at a time? I don't even have a TV right now.

There are some places on the net that definitely freak me out. I hesitate to even post a link to an online masturbation forum I found last weekend - though I freely admit that I read the thing for hours with an odd fascination. I might be a bit concerned about meeting THOSE people in public. Arfcommers do not worry me in the same way. Though I'm sure we have our share of wankers, we don't focus our discussions around the subject [:D]

You have over 100 posts - and you think this place is weird? Perhaps you have a self-esteem issue? I suggest therapy - even if it is only TexRdnk style.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey could you post a link to that online masturbation forum? I just learned something.

I do have self-esteem issues. I have a love-hate relationship with the internet/ar15.com.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You started a discussion, and have board members putting forth effort through some pretty good, thought-provoking replies, in the 40+ that you've received thus far.

And THIS is all you can come up with?

Quoted:
Yah, what's creepy is I know intimate details about you people, and I don't even know what you look like!

View Quote

I take it your point of this thread was just for you to state what you thought of this website, WITHOUT any discussion?

Chris
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You started a discussion, and have board members putting forth effort through some pretty good, thought-provoking replies, in the 40+ that you've received thus far.

Quoted:

View Quote

I take it your point of this thread was just for you to state what you thought of this website, WITHOUT any discussion?

Chris
View Quote

Go back a couple of posts before that - I had a longer post.

It's just my opinion. Opinions matter in a discussion doesn't it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't even have a TV right now.
View Quote

Adam .... your HHG shipment hasn't arrived YET!?

I hope you gave Customs stateside a heads-up that I'm on the way .... [b]12 JUNE[/B] I'm BACK!!!!

Chris
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey could you post a link to that online masturbation forum? I just learned something.

I do have self-esteem issues. I have a love-hate relationship with the internet/ar15.com.
View Quote

... and you think [i]we're[/i]  creepy?  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

Chris
View Quote

Go back a couple of posts before that - I had a longer post.

It's just my opinion. Opinions matter in a discussion doesn't it.
View Quote

It takes nothing to continue repeating your opinion, as you're doing.

ANY of these 40+ replies have ANY effect on this "opinion" of yours?  

Maybe a better understanding of this "place"?

Chris
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you feeling left out, and that's why you are bringing this up?
I probably have a bit of a reputation around here, and although I'm not sure exactly what it is, I'm sure there's many here that don't like me.
With that said, I've had people offer me all sorts of help with things in the "real world" from this board, just based on having seen me post here.  I have also offered to help others based on not much more than that.
If you think it's creepy, I suggest you shut off your computer, head out into the sunlight, and spend some time in the "real world" with all of your "real friends", instead of wasting our time and yours here.  I'm amazed that so many here have bothered to try and change your mind.  In my opinion, just like America, if you dont' like it, you can get the fuck out.  You won't affect my quality of life one iota one way or the other.  Stupid-ass threads like this won't piss me off, and once you crawl away and die, it won't make me cry or miss you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#14]
[i][b]TomJefferson[/b] - I tried to reply to your IM, but your box is full.

I don't think [b]clean-cut[/b] will mind me hijacking his thread so I can reply back to you.[/i]

Anyways, [i]KOR[/i] is KOREA.  I'm stationed here, active-duty Army.

Chris

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
We may not be face-to-face, but lack of social or communication skills will still be immediately evident, as if we were talking in person.

If it's difficult to articulate your thoughts, or to even have thoughts beyond the [i]"Gee, this sucks!"[/i], you're NOT going to be an active, contributing participant on an Internet discussion board.

Best bet right now is to stick to lurking, or stay away .... stay FAR away!

Chris
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
[:K]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
You to me,damn man do you have a restroom,No we don't have a public restroom!      But if you have bought gas or food from us(we don't have a public restroom)  but you are welcome to use our's (mommas rules!)

Its for us to use but we will share it with you ,I don't like cleaning up after me much less you!

Don't try to take a bitches bath in  our sink,and walk out with a ream of paper towels!

So it is much the same here,welcome aboard,wipe if necessary but not on us!

Unless you are some kind of nuttsack ,what you see or get here is much like it really is!

We is what we is ,and we ain't what we ain't!

Nough Said     .      Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How exactly do you explain to people "I read it on an internet bulletin board" or "this guy on an internet bulletin board"?  I barely bring myself to mention AR15.COM. in conversation. Words like "armchair warrior" and "keyboard commando" can be assiociated with the internet.
View Quote

Just state it as fact and ask them to refute it with same. Almost everything on this board is cited with a reference. This board is rock-solid with good advice. There are too many here who have been there, done that, with everything out there. Make them prove that you are wrong. It will never happen.

Bob

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#19]
KY-Bob, your name is creepy. Oh, wait you're from Kentucky! I was thinking something else. Sorry. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who took the picture?  [:D]

Are you back stateside, Adam White?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, I like your cyber name. So, when are you going to leave the poor girl alone?
View Quote

No more for you boy.  You're OD'd on conversation with rational people.  Try visiting the DU wannabees.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#24]
In the words of Bobby D. in Heat, "It is what it is"
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Who took the picture?  [:D]

Are you back stateside, Adam White?
View Quote

I am indeed back in the US - living the good life right now in Virginia.

Did you ever have those dreams as a kid - during summer break or right after graduation - that you were still in school and had completely forgotten about a particular class or assignment up till the last minute?

Well, it is sort of like that. I keep thinking I am forgetting something. I am needing to force myself to relax. Weird.

Not wearing pants helps [;)].
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay, sorry all. I am not a teenager, but a college-educated adult who has a love of firearms.

I guess my point is I find it "interesting" that very intimate details of a person's life is readily posted for all to see on this gun board. Nothing wrong with that, if it doesn't bother the poster. But to each his own.

I have to admit, that for a board based on the discussion of hardware, ar15 has a much tighter group cohesion than say, Bladeforums or Candlepowerforums.

No offense meant to anyone - I was just having some fun with my posts (oh come on, like no one has done that before)!

Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you want to be their friend,they will give you the shirt off their back.
If you want to be a pain in the ass to them,God have mercy on you!
View Quote

I have never read a better summary about the folks who make up this community.

Edited for skills of grammatical lack of.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#29]
The cohesion you see here is because this firearm, and many others we own, represent a way of life, not a hobby. We are truly brothers in arms.

Bob

Welcome aboard! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#30]
KY-Bob, your avatar is TRULY creepy! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Well here is my .02 cents worth on the internet discussion board thing, particularly this board. To me, it is an outstanding way for people of like mind, from disparate places to gather together and chat and form bonds that have no need of anything other than a shared common cause. IE our enjoyment of our second amendment rights.

This is bar none, the finest internet board around, and I will soon be a contributing member when I fire up my CC and join.

As far as creeping you out, in some undefined way, I would say fella... you got some issues. Some of the folks on this board have time and again shown what a great and spread out family ARFCOM is. Prayer requests all the time, psych support, relationship support... what else can one want out of a friendship? Although I dont post like others here, I feel I have a good grasp on who and what those of us here do stand for and its good enough for me. I have only run into a VERY FEW idiots on this board, and only ONE flat out effin moron and he is as big a moron here as he is on the other gun boards I peruse, but enough of that crap.

I love this place!

Thanks for lettin' me hang out Ed Sr. and Goatboy... I will join very soon.

Dramborleg out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well here is my .02 cents worth on the internet discussion board thing, particularly this board. To me, it is an outstanding way for people of like mind, from disparate places to gather together and chat and form bonds that have no need of anything other than a shared common cause. IE our enjoyment of our second amendment rights.

This is bar none, the finest internet board around, and I will soon be a contributing member when I fire up my CC and join.

As far as creeping you out, in some undefined way, I would say fella... you got some issues. Some of the folks on this board have time and again shown what a great and spread out family ARFCOM is. Prayer requests all the time, psych support, relationship support... what else can one want out of a friendship? Although I dont post like others here, I feel I have a good grasp on who and what those of us here do stand for and its good enough for me. I have only run into a VERY FEW idiots on this board, and only ONE flat out effin moron and he is as big a moron here as he is on the other gun boards I peruse, but enough of that crap.

I love this place!

Thanks for lettin' me hang out Ed Sr. and Goatboy... I will join very soon.

Dramborleg out.
View Quote

Don't use my thread as an opportunity to kiss up to the management. If you like the board, fine.

I have no problem with hanging out at ar15 and learning about/sharing info on firearms and gear, and other related issues. But when people talk about getting "support" from members of ar15 when going through a divorce or some tragedy - I just don't get it. I'm not being a troll this time. In times of personal tragedy real support comes from friends and family - people you really know, not from words typed on a computer screen by an anonymous user. I know some of you have met eachother in person, and that's fine. I think when that happens you move beyond the internet virtual world to the real world. As with similar ways to meet people (pen pal, personals, etc) a measure of caution is to be excercised (at least at first). So, that's okay.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In times of personal tragedy real support comes from friends and family - people you really know,

View Quote

Well, some of us aren't as privileged as say maybe you to have any family. Also, many of us have been the "outsider" to his/her friends just because we enjoy putting holes in paper.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Don't use my thread as an opportunity to kiss up to the management. If you like the board, fine.
View Quote

He can use the tread for anything he pleases. dont like it? tough. I for one am sick and tired of your insistant ramblings about your disagreements with our community. The way this site goes is that we get invloved. We have more than once extended financial,legal and emotional support to our members in their time of need. You can rest assured that we check out the situation first. Noone is being fraudulant, and if anyone asks that we discontinue our input/support then we oblige.

No I dont find it creepy and neither does anyone else. But we do think that you are being a jackass. see a pattern here?

Your opinons are welcome but trying to force those opinions off on others or annoying us with constant ramblings on the same old subject is not. so your a minority? big deal. your not a victim and your not special. grow up and actually try to get along with everyone here. you might be suprised what you find.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#35]
WHo actually uses the word "creepy" in a conversation?

"Hey Bob..I was thinkin' about going to the mall, but there's a some store clerks there
that make me feel creepy."

And yes...I have met people on this board that mirror how they are in person.

Creepy...Geeee Beaver, ya think a guy can just enjoy the freedom to communicate, without over examining it.

[:K]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#36]
[b][i]Doesn't this whole internet discussion board thing creep you out?[/i][/b]

Yes[img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-124.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

As part of my ongoing efforts to help people, here is the information that you are looking for:

[url=www.jackinworld.com]The Ultimate Male Masturbation Resource[/url]

Please remember my assistance when the baseless accusations of being a troll are leveled at me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

As part of my ongoing efforts to help people, here is the information that you are looking for:

[url=www.jackinworld.com]The Ultimate Male Masturbation Resource[/url]

Please remember my assistance when the baseless accusations of being a troll are leveled at me.
View Quote

[lol] [lol] [lol] [rofl2] You are a riot!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Orininally Posted by clean_cut:
  "Doesn't this whole internet discussion board thing creep you out?"
View Quote

No.

Imbroglio,

Thanks for the link.  I think I'll go to bed now. [;)]

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#41]
From Imbroglio's link:

Semen Aversion
If you ever wanted to taste your own semen but lose the urge after ejaculating, here's how to get over the apprehension. ... After doing this during several of your sessions, you won't have any problem tasting your semen after full ejaculation.
View Quote

OK, this one makes the forum I found look tame. Of course, the one I "came" across had "members" submitting videos of themselves - so I guess it depends on your perspective.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have no problem with hanging out at ar15 and learning about/sharing info on firearms and gear, and other related issues. But when people talk about getting "support" from members of ar15 when going through a divorce or some tragedy - I just don't get it. I'm not being a troll this time. In times of personal tragedy real support comes from friends and family - people you really know, not from words typed on a computer screen by an anonymous user. I know some of you have met eachother in person, and that's fine. I think when that happens you move beyond the internet virtual world to the real world. As with similar ways to meet people (pen pal, personals, etc) a measure of caution is to be excercised (at least at first). So, that's okay.

View Quote

Support comes from people who care.  It doesnt matter if they are family, friends, therapists, people on suicide phone lines, or people you only know through the internet.  The healing factor you need in times of tragedy comes from being able to speak your thoughts and having someone there to listen and offer support. If I had a loved one sick I would be elated to see a hundred people who only know me through this media take the effort to offer me wishes of support. Think about it. Say you get a divorce.  Co-workers and such may say they feel sorry for you but do they really mean it or are just being polite because they work with you.  Now take some guy on this board from say Texas. This guy is under no obligation to respond to me.  He can just ignore the post and I will never know he even read it. But suppose he does respond.  That means he does care and is not just offering lip service. Just my angle on the whole situation while sitting here a work.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Imbroglio, is that link a violation of the CC?
View Quote

As the site in question exists solely for educational purposes, it would be exempt from such restrictions.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:24:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Hey clean cut,

Kiss my rear pal... I did not intend any kissing up at all in my post in re the management of this site. I seriously meant what I said, and said what I meant. Go buy yourself a clue, this is the best and most vital site for those of the second amendment community on the net bar none. Dont like it? Dont want comments? Tough.

Dram out
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#48]
You mean like McUZI, Imbroglio, and Blaze-of-Glory? Their stories precede them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Okay, sorry all. I am not a teenager, but a college-educated adult who has a love of firearms.

I guess my point is I find it "interesting" that very intimate details of a person's life is readily posted for all to see on this gun board. Nothing wrong with that, if it doesn't bother the poster. But to each his own.

[red]I have to admit, that for a board based on the discussion of hardware, ar15 has a much tighter group cohesion than say, Bladeforums or Candlepowerforums.[/red]

No offense meant to anyone - I was just having some fun with my posts (oh come on, like no one has done that before)!

Thanks for the comments.
View Quote

Maybe because most of us don't consider this JUST an internet forum.  WE KNOW EACHOTHER.  I personally have seen my arfcom buddies more than my highschool/college/lawschool buddies since august.  I think I've managed just about every other week to see these great people.  So when you look at this as "creepy" maybe its because we're not hiding behind online personas.  

Once again, WE KNOW EACHOTHER.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top