Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:57:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Just the grip angle...

Ditto.

More like apathy than hate.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a G22 and hate it..........................
Because .40S&W tends to be expensive

Actually I was a very late comer to the Glock party, but have no regrets since picking one up.
Its not the best gun I have owned in terms of accuracy, but it has never given me a single mechanical issue whatsoever. Has been very reliable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like glocks just fine. they're great guns. Problem is they dont fit right in my hand, so I choose not to use them.

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:02:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Haters must be taught.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Haters must be taught.

You may note that most here said they didn't hate them. They just didn't fit their preferences.

I loved my Glock 21 and used to do pretty well with it until I expanded my collection and got used to guns with better triggers. After that, I always shot low right, no matter how hard I tried.

They are a great reliable gun and probably great for combat, but I ain't in combat. For my uses (and my small hand size); home defense, concealed carry, and target shooting, a 1911A1 is much better and easier to conceal by a long shot. I do miss the 13 round capacity though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:34:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Not I, just prefer 1911's
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The top four things going against GLOCK: Grip angle, Trigger/Safety, "Tupperware", and the almighty KABOOM!

The only other bad thing people have to say about GLOCK is that they're ugly and I'm sure everyone would be more than willing to look beyond it's grotesqueness, if the top four things were more to their liking.

The grip angle is something you get used to. Same goes for the trigger. The safety is something you should already be used to! Being a polymer firearm is something more traditional folks don't care much for and other than recommending you give one a try and open your mind a little, there isn't much I can say about that. Lastly, the KB... Do your research and you will see that they are mostly (if not always) caused by shooting handloads and/or lead in a factory barrel.

I love my GLOCK (36) and will buy another one (26) ASAP.

PS, GLOCK WORKS. EVERY TIME.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Like Glocks, hate my 10mm.  I can't hit shit with it.  This is a point-blank, home protection pistol.  When I fire my Colt King Cobra, look out!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a G23 and trust our lives with its reliability. It is an extension of my hand, and fits like no other weapon I have ever owned. If it gives me the chance to get to my AR, than I am happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Glock 17.
I like it, but it needs some changes:

* Remove the checkering on the finger grooves, it keeps digging into my skin.
* Change the trigger pull so rather than fire like a 2-stage trigger, have it fire like a single stage with a clean break. This should get rid of the low/left syndrome for new shooters.
* The 9mm pistols have oversprung recoil springs, adding to unnecessary muzzle flip.

It seems shooters have to adjust to the Glock whereas they are fine shooters with other pistols and firearms.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Oooooh a Glock thread

Great pistols, have many thousands of rounds through my 45 and 9mm glocks, 100% reliability. Never seen one blow up or malfunction. I've seen something like 6 1911s (actually more I think) crap out in just the past year, all Colts, Kimbers or expensive custom jobs.

Glock did a terrible job of addressing the frame rail issue, trying to fix LEO guns while trying to screw civilians, however I have seen no credible proof that they are involved in balistic fingerprinting or any of the other emotional tirades that people post on the internut.

<-----31000  www.thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/mrglock.jpg

Today computers can do just that. A computer can't make the ultimate call, but they can narrow the work down to a point where manual examination is feasible. ATF is now making this computer technology available to police authorities around the country through the National Integrated Ballistics Identification Network (NIBIN). This network is a joint effort between ATF and the FBI to provide the latest technology to our state and local partners. Under this arrangement ATF will be responsible for the ballistics technology and the FBI will provide the computer network that will join the state and local systems together. Currently this provides a valuable tool for law enforcement authorities that will allow us to associate a suspect or a firearm with seemingly unrelated crimes. The future of this technology offers even greater potential. ATF is currently conducting a pilot project with Glock, wherein they will capture digital image a test fire shell casing for handguns they manufacture. That image will be associated with the serial number of the firearm in a computer database. Later if a shell casing is recovered at a crime scene it could be compared against the Glock database. This comparison could lead to the identification of the exact weapon that fired the round. Without ever recovering a firearm ATF could then trace the weapon used in the crime.

www.atf.gov/press/speech/fy00/040700ggdsymposium.htm

This has been going of for some time, at least as far back as 2000, so even a used Glock probably is in this database.

Yeah, I know, a link to an ATF (govt agency) is not credible.  I was not gonna post anything, but when I saw your comment, well it just begged for this link.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate them .
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Remember Dana Carvys Old Man Skit?

That's the it WAS-S-S ..............amd we liked it.

Old timers on Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Not a fan

The grip angle blows, the trigger is marginal and even though I've never actually seen it, the whole Kb thing weighs heavily on my mind.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't like the grip angle or the spongy recoil. Not crazy about the lack of manual safety but I could get past that if it weren't for the two issues.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't hate them...I just don't want to own another one.  Make mine a Kimber, S&W or Sig.

HH
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I owned one Glock 40 cal model 23. I'm a CHL and carry my pistols slipped into my pants waste band, and that trigger is an accident waiting to happen. I also never liked the blocky hollow feel of the gun. I escpecially hated the average of two FTF in every box of Ammo. Screw that piece of crap!

Cops love these guns. I'm not a cop and so I guess I don't have to walk in lock step with them!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to hate them but reality set in.  Life depends on weapon/backup weapon = Must accept Glock.  It was simple.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't hate 'em, just can't hit shit with 'em.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Glock?? None for me thanks.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Grip, safety.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got nothing against them.  I prefer the 9mm to any of the others.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I love my 19.

For those hating on the grip angle you just need to take a Defensive Edge course and learn how to use the superior Sully grip. The Glock grip angle is perfect using the Sully grip, and I can say that using the Sully grip has made a big difference in how well I can shoot.

I've put close to 1000 rounds through mine since about August 12 when I bought mine and haven't had a failure yet. That KB fuse on mine must be pretty long
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have seen no credible proof that they are involved in balistic fingerprinting or any of the other emotional tirades that people post on the internut.

The VP of Glock on 60 minutes pointing out that the program was essentially created by and is solely sustained by Glock was not enough for you?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I love my 19.

For those hating on the grip angle you just need to take a Defensive Edge course and learn how to use the superior Sully grip. The Glock grip angle is perfect using the Sully grip, and I can say that using the Sully grip has made a big difference in how well I can shoot.

I've put close to 1000 rounds through mine since about August 12 when I bought mine and haven't had a failure yet. That KB fuse on mine must be pretty long

Will it kill the spongy recoil too?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my 19.

What recoil? There isn't hardly any using the Sully grip.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I love my 19.

BIG +1

In fact, the "sully grip" is what got me interested in trying a Glock. Now I have two and it works with them just as well as I had expected. Used a 1911 during the course, just didn't quite work the same.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my 19.

That strange creaking sensation I got when I shot the one I rented once. It was horrible and not something I think I could get used to.

Don't give me "what recoil"    All guns recoil! And if your grip is as solid as this Sully grip you're saying is... It means the frame will absorb even more recoil, which is what I didn't like in the first place... Ah well.

I want to like the Glock... but I think if I"m going to go out of the 1911 realm, it will be with a SIG.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love my 19.

That strange creaking sensation I got when I shot the one I rented once. It was horrible and not something I think I could get used to.

Don't give me "what recoil"    All guns recoil! And if your grip is as solid as this Sully grip you're saying is... It means the frame will absorb even more recoil, which is what I didn't like in the first place... Ah well.

I want to like the Glock... but I think if I"m going to go out of the 1911 realm, it will be with a SIG.  

Well, I was obviously being a little sarcastic about the recoil, but the Sully grip certainly reduces the felt recoil and allows for much faster follow up shots. I've certainly never felt or heard any creaking in my Glock. The gun feels plenty solid.

ETA: I'm not really saying everyone should buy a Glock or that its be be all end all of handguns. Other people shoot better with other guns and that's just fine. I was just pointing out that using the Sully grip makes the grip angle argument moot (for me anyway) AND noticably helped improve my shooting.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Had a Glock 19, shot it a while, hated it, sold it as fast as possible.  Just wasn't very accurate compared to other types of pistols I've shot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I like 'em all.  Glock, 1911, SIG, Beretta, etc.  What the hell are people shooting that causes these KB's ?  Cause Glocks are rated to handle high-pressure NATO spec loads in 9mm.  What's the Sully grip ?  Never heard of that before.  Still though, I'm not a Glock addict, but I don't hate them.  They're tools and they work.  Given the choice, I'd rather have a nice SIG or 1911, but I wouldn't feel undergunned or disadvantaged with a Glock.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I like 'em all.  Glock, 1911, SIG, Beretta, etc.  What the hell are people shooting that causes these KB's ?  Cause Glocks are rated to handle high-pressure NATO spec loads in 9mm.  What's the Sully grip ?  Never heard of that before.  Still though, I'm not a Glock addict, but I don't hate them.  They're tools and they work.  Given the choice, I'd rather have a nice SIG or 1911, but I wouldn't feel undergunned or disadvantaged with a Glock.  

Take a Defensive Edge course with Sully and you'll find out
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#38]
That reminds me of my first Glock purchase from Cabela's after the Defensive Edge class. I had a couple models set out for me, and I picked one up in the "Sully grip" to take a look through the sights. The employee helping me immediately criticised the grip and adjusted it for me so I wouldn't get "bit by the slide." Also, he advised me, "I don't care who taught you to shoot, do not try to aim with the sights. You have to learn to just point and shoot....it's much faster." I just thought, "that's funny, I'm sure the guy that taught me to shoot doesn't care what you say either!" Needless to say, I have not been bit with the slide and the sights work just fine thank you!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#39]
What I'm about to say is considered high treason, so please be gentle. As a Sig employee I was always partial to Sigs and HKs, and I regularly thumbed my nose at Glocks. Sure, they were durable and handled well, but I just couldn't get past the cheap construction. The little things like the cheeseball slide release bothered me.

After much verbal abuse from my father (a local CLEO) I finally bit the bullet, so to speak, and bought two of them-a G19 and a G26. Now, I'm almost ashamed to say that I won't go to the range without one of those little Glocks in tow-I LOVE the damned things.

To solve the small grip problem on my G26 I simply use a G19 mag-so I have something extra to hold onto.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I rented a couple of different Glocks at a shooting range in 9, 40 and 45 and they just didn't feel "right" in my hands.  I guess I've had a Sig 226 for too long!!!!  I was thinking of going Glock but decided against it after the range experience.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#41]
HATE is such a powerful word. I don't hate Glocks, I just don't like them. I never liked how they felt in my hands and I don't like the trigger pull.

Especially since I discovered the XD family.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I love my 19.

Try Sully's grip with a 1911 and see what it does for ya

I seemed to be hitting pretty well even tho I do not use a G-lock  

Just messin with ya Newb
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have seen no credible proof that they are involved in balistic fingerprinting or any of the other emotional tirades that people post on the internut.

The VP of Glock on 60 minutes pointing out that the program was essentially created by and is solely sustained by Glock was not enough for you?

Apparently, neither is the link to the ATF website pointing out exactly that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
however I have seen no credible proof that they are involved in balistic fingerprinting or any of the other emotional tirades that people post on the internut.

Well, is this still a true statement?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I hate that I dont have enough money to buy another one!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I have shot one only once, and that was just to try a 10mm.  Other than that, any that I have held I have wondered why they tried so hard to square up the grip.  They usually do not fit the contours of my hand.  No other manufacturer seems to have this problem.

I did a search on "Scully Grip" and even added in "X-Files" and I am not sure what you guys are talking about.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Aside from the grip angle complaints, there aren't many really credible complaints about them.

The kb thing is definatly a problem, but evidently not a particularly big one. Lots of PDs use them, and few would keep using them after a couple of kbs. Given the sheer number of Glocks in service, in the US and abroad, it is difficult to believe that so few have actually seen evidence of this. I'll bet the other handgun manufacturers would have a field day with it. Not to say it never happens, but it seems to be a greatly exagerated(sp) problem. Nevermind the fact that guns from nearly every manufacturer have suffered catastrophic failures. I've seen pictures of kb'd USPs, and seen 1st hand kb'd Colt M-16s, FN M-240Gs, M-249s, and even an M-2HB.

"But their made of plastic". The barrel and slide, along with several other parts, are still steel. Nobody cries about USPs, or any of th polymer framed 1911s. Again, there are numerous Glocks in service worldwide, with the number growing daily. Few break.

"There isn't a safety". Actually, there are several safeties, but none external. Keeping your finger and other objects away from the trigger does wonders for keeping the gun silent. Turns out that if you don't pull the trigger, nothing happens, at least nothing that wouldn't have happened if it had a safety.

"Glock supports ballistic fingerprinting". Probably true. Definatly an issue from a gun rights preservation standpoint. Nonissue for any practical purpose. Here's another shocker for you: GM records VIN numbers from cars.

Glocks certainly aren't for everyone, but they aren't the devil either. If you don't like them, feel free to spend your money on a different gun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I respect Glocks for what they are - an efficient tool.  I dont particularly like them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't hate Glocks, just the guys who shoot them.
Seriously, they're fine guns they just don't fit my hand or point well for me.

Great product, but built for someone else.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Notice how all the glock haters are saying "I Tried one at the range and it sucked, so i went with a 1911" TRANSLATION: I could'nt hit the target so it's not me it's the gun.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top