Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I got laid off in June after 10-years with the same company.  Sucks but that's life.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. My company laid off some people and dumped their workload on me. They also cut my compensation by about 40%

Sucks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully soon Obama
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
A pilot from my Squadron who I knew well (and he was indeed a good pilot) was force-shaped/RIFed earlier this year- among many other capable aviation field personnel.  Oh, yeah- and so was I.  

Naturally, the handful of the crappiest-but-most-politically-connected pilots/navs/FEs/techs/etc that SHOULD have been removed...got to stay.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I laid off two guys yesterday. But they new when they got hired it was only a 3 month job. Still felt bad about it. One of them is a complete mess and was actually living in his truck before I laid him off. Oh well I gave him the opportunity to go to the next job, but he didn't want to pay his own travel expenses, it didn't seem like they'd be much to me if you are living in your vehichle anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes.

Woman we know Is a nurse, lost her job, ten she could not find another one. When a nurse can not find a job through nomfault of her own, things are bad.

She lost her house after she lost her job and we adopted her 2 dogs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been the asshole laying people off.  I had 63 people working for me in my division and now I am down to 10 as of today.  Monday I will put 8 more back to work but that is a whole different discussion of how and why and why I need my CPL and to get the hell out of the position I am in.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Been slowly laying people off at my office for several months now. I'm only close to a few people in the whole office, but they have let go of a couple of gals I was friendly and chatty with (in a non flirty way). One of those was a chick from Liberia that had an amazing body. Such a shame. She's been here for years trying to get her green card and or citizenship. She's apparently going to move back to Liberia now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We had a savage 10% layoff last year in November.

It's all but confirmed that there's another coming this month. Things are going to get ugly.

No dude! Obama tells us that the job situation is vastly improving! You are obviously the dishonest person here!
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I was laid-off last week but am not worried.
Will work on my property and take a vacation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Hm...I guess complaining about a 4% quarterly bonus might not get me much sympathy, even though they used to be 15-20% just two years ago at the firm I'm at now.

Getting the economic shaft is starting to rank up there with getting the actual one. This is starting to fucking suck.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#13]
we had one die (not work related), one get fired, and two quit.

only hired one to replace the two that quit

so net loss of 3

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I think nearly everyone I know with the exception of myself has been laid off in the past 5 years. Well, one guy retired at age 30 when business got slow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#15]
No.  We're a software company.  Had a few people quit - no storming out drama, they all had new jobs lined up - and have replaced them.  I believe one or two new development positions, too.  However, there are signs that might mean nothing or could be suspicious.  A good chunk of our senior management team and staff got "promoted up" to our parent division and have moved.  A lot of senior folks (10+ years) in sales, marketing and whatnot have left for greener pastures.  There are a lot of passing comments about getting "realigned" into a larger division.  Reviews (and potential raises) have been pushed from January to March.  I'm keeping myself valuable but am working on some side gigs in the hopes of making them into something that can carry us (family of 4, wife is a stay-at-home mom) if we get "the unexpected announcement" in the next few months.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes. BHO and regulation have killed Banking.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes.. in our facility there has been major cuts lately.  I would guess about 20 people have been laid off this week and there is talk of more. No overtime for anyone. Rolling layoffs for others.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes. My brother found out yesterday completely out of the blue that tonight is the last night on his job (truck driver). He has a line on a new position but of course it isn't a lock.

He just bought a new pickup truck last weekend, so perfect timing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hm...I guess complaining about a 4% quarterly bonus might not get me much sympathy, even though they used to be 15-20% just two years ago at the firm I'm at now.

Getting the economic shaft is starting to rank up there with getting the actual one. This is starting to fucking suck.

Public sector?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#20]
yup
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I do.  My father was let go from Lockheed Martin last month.  He crunched some numbers, and realized that he can retire, and doesn't have to go back to work.  He was offered another job yesterday, but doesn't know if he'll take it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Where I work they let people go all the time.  Call it skills rebalancing.  If they aren't cutting it they get rid of them and fill the position with somebody with better skills.  In my business, IT/computer stuff, I've been laid off everywhere I ever went to.  Been at this place 5 years now but I'm now in a small company with none of that corporate BS and offshoring.  I also document nothing.  If I'm laid off they are up shit's creek,
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife worked for a health insurance company for 14 years and got laid off in March due to Obamacare.  Apparently, insurace companies can only spend so much on administrative costs.  They started laying people off as soon as the bill was passed and eventually ran out of people in front of my wife.  Last she heard, people were still getting the boot.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#24]
At the peak dad had 170 employees. Maybe more. Now 20 are the core and the rest take turns being laid off so they can rebuild their UI and bank accounts from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where I work they let people go all the time.  Call it skills rebalancing.  If they aren't cutting it they get rid of them and fill the position with somebody with better skills.  In my business, IT/computer stuff, I've been laid off everywhere I ever went to.  Been at this place 5 years now but I'm now in a small company with none of that corporate BS and offshoring. I also document nothing.  If I'm laid off they are up shit's creek,

Winning!

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My aunts company is laying off people in droves while moving jobs to India.  They are sending people home to work from there first and then laying them off a couple weeks later probably to avoid drama.

That's pretty shitty
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Public sector?

I would rather join an all male interpretive dance troupe specializing in artistic reenactments of the musical Rent than join the public sector.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I watched a once proud design firm go from 50 people in the summer of 2008 to 8 people by summer 2009.

I was one of the last to go and that because one of the partners split off and took me with him. I would say that nearly everybody
that got laid off are better off then they were in 2009. Sometimes things have to happen to spur you to change your course.
I work every day, no matter how much work I have, that it could end with a phone call. You pick up and move on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#30]
State employee. Myself, other coworkers, friends from other employment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where I work they let people go all the time.  Call it skills rebalancing.  If they aren't cutting it they get rid of them and fill the position with somebody with better skills.  In my business, IT/computer stuff, I've been laid off everywhere I ever went to.  Been at this place 5 years now but I'm now in a small company with none of that corporate BS and offshoring. I also document nothing.  If I'm laid off they are up shit's creek,

Winning!

Awesome
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I do.  My father was let go from Lockheed Martin last month.  He crunched some numbers, and realized that he can retire, and doesn't have to go back to work.  He was offered another job yesterday, but doesn't know if he'll take it.

Just my opinion?  Take the job.  If he knows he's done working after this, he can pull the plug any time he wants.  That's a real nice feeling of freedom there.  And if he takes it and changes his mind in three weeks, he'll have three weeks' more money toward the retirement party and won't be out anything.  If he declines the job and changes his mind in three weeks, he may be SOL for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#33]
one company in my town just laid off 32 people and my friend got let go after 19.5 years as manger of the best performing store in his company

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I have been "workforce reduction" three times during the last three years.

1. 6/2009 - Electrical Engineering firm trimmed 45 out of 300 employees.

2. 12/2011 - Non-Profit agency trimmed 50 out of 190 employees.

3. 5/2012 - Same Non-profit agency brought me back for three months and the board decided to de-fund my position.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Public sector?

I would rather join an all male interpretive dance troupe specializing in artistic reenactments of the musical Rent than join the public sector.

Can you dance?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Public sector?

Can you dance?

I just pull up my pants and do the rockaway.

Lean back.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#37]
No-one close to me - but a pretty fair number of people working for larger well known aerospace/system integration firms have been given their notice in the past 3-4 months.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The first casualty amongst people I know just hit. The guy worked as a part time ENT at an audiology/ENT office. He was hired on part time with the promise of full time work once business picked up.

Let him go yesterday.

Do you guys know anyone personally, not just numbers and statistics printed online?

I know of at least 10 personally from my company alone.

Probably another 3-5 random people I've met over the last 2-3 years.

Only a lucky few have found another job.

None are at their old salary level.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#39]
with NASA cutbacks and whatnot? def. yes
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#40]
yep
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Yep, I know three people. One of the poor guys got hired at a decent position after looking for quite a while, and then the company downsized the division he was working for six months later.
He's pretty bitter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes a friend of mine worked at Andover Coils and they laid her off right before she could get unemployment.
She now has two part time jobs in about ten days.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Relative looking for another fed.gov job in DC (Democrat ) - she's got a great resume with Congressional committee experience and everything, but can't get a call back.  She gets form letters saying only Veterans will be considered due to application volume.

Her friend in HR for a major govt agency says they're getting 1,000+ applications per job opening!  Most of the resumes are coming from private sector applicants looking for a stable job.  

Today's unemployment numbers are obviously bullshit.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My aunts company is laying off people in droves while moving jobs to India.  They are sending people home to work from there first and then laying them off a couple weeks later probably to avoid drama.

That's pretty shitty

Precisely what happened to my coworker today. Top end management didn't have the balls to stand up for the guy (for whatever reason the union had a hard on for him), and they shitcanned him.....but of course also didn't have the balls to tell him.  Their plan was to just let the employment agency handle it (our department is 60% contracted engineering positions). The former coworker was a hell of a guy, well liked by everyone in the department and did his job, but was a victim of politics. Fortunately, our immediate boss (also a good egg), had the decency to call him (because the employment agency won't bother) and let him know he no longer had a job and to apologize. He isn't even allowed to come back on site to retrieve his belongings, they will be delivered to him. Moved halfway across the country for the job, worked here for nearly a decade and two years away from retirement too (no pension or anything, he relies on cash and his investments and whatever social security throws his way).

Let me tell you, that has done wonders for morale at work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep a co-worker heard that their job was on the cutting block...followed up by another.   Lucky he talking with another company and decided to take their offer versus rejecting it like he planned.

If I squint real hard I figure the 100+ man shop might be down to 30 if they are lucky by January.  If they are not lucky, I expect the whole shop to close doors by May.

The massive layoff notifications will hit by this time next month for the 60 day notifications for layoffs.  It's one thing to know the pink slips are coming - it's another thing completely to have them in your hand.

I am not on the list of early notifications list, mostly because my contract does not require it.
I know I will come to work one day and the badge won't work and there will be a box with my name on it.
All of my high end technical books are out of the office unless I need them for a specific project.

I am trying to pay off the house early so I can cut my expenses by 60%.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#47]
YEAH... ME... after 24 years with the company.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I talked to a guy yesterday at the grocery store I had not seen in 8 years, he was just laid off last week from the mines. FU BHO!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Yup. I know three people in my circle that were laid off recently. Two more got fired.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I was laid off in June last year. Took a few months, but things are good now.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top