Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I know some people who have to think about it for a few seconds.

I don't think I know anybody who flat out can't read them, but I know they exist.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a friend who had a watch that read in Ship's Bells.  I had a hard time reading it....correctly!  One bell every two hours??  Something like that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My 13 year old step daughter.

We went on a cruise a couple months ago. I love cruises because that's a week stupid cell phones get turned off and thrown in the safe.

We were sitting somewhere waiting on something to start. Since her stupid phone wasn't glued to her hand she asked what time it was. A laughed and said "there's a clock on the wall right in front of us'" She said "I know but I can't read it."

I have no faith in her education. They are aloud cell phones, earbuds, drinks, food, gum, etc. during school. Granted there weren't cell phones in my day but everything else was prohibited. Her backpack is a vending machine, not a "book bag."
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
My buddy picked up one of these recently.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#5]

I'll admit, after my first brain surgery it took me abut 3 months to learn how to again but I can do it as of today
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Not off the top of my head, no. My kids both learned in the first or second grade, I think. Something like that. 

Binary clocks trip a few people up, though. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, my wife has trouble reading analog clocks. She can, but she is ass slow about it, and if it's past the half hour mark she will often get the hour wrong. Her excuse?  "They didn't teach it in school." Well that's fine, but I assume that it is possible to learn things after one leaves school.

I have met other women that cannot read them. Not sure what the connection is, but the only people I've ever known that could not read an analog clock, were of the vaginal persuasion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its almost like most people dont know how to operate technology that went obsolete a generation before they were born. Weird.
View Quote

People that have a natural curiosity for tech and history will know. Most people don't.

I know only a few people that I would confidently say could be thrown back to the 1930s and still know how to start a car, tune a radio, and (apparently) find the time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top