User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, don't even wash page 2
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The gm LS series will trap moisture and rust the knock sensors and ruin them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, to get the salt off.  Never with a pressure washer....too much risk of getting water into a place where it shouldn't be.
View Quote

I had a 97 4 runner that I hit at the car wash with hi pressure when I was 17, towed it home and spent $800 getting it fixed
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Once a month. More if it needs it
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I do mine monthly.

Almost 80,000 miles, still looks new.
What can I say, I can't stand a dirty bay.

Carwash soap, a spray bottle, a couple of brushes and hit it with the pressure washer on low to rinse.
Dry with old towels.
I don't use dressings or goop though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I usually wash my car once a week, so I wash the engine bay too. I can go right now and reach shoulder deep under my hood and pull out a clean arm.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/tvrbkw" target="_blank">https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8802/18054723692_77bcc4cbc5_o.jpg</a>
View Quote

What do you use?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Every so often with just a hose to knock the mud out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Simple green is also corrosive to aluminum. That's why it is not allowed to be used to clean airplane parts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once or twice a year with Simple Green.

Lots of people use Purple Power but it is billed as corrosive. I once used it on an engine and noticed corrosion/discoloration of an aluminum intake plenum not long afterwards.

Simple green is also corrosive to aluminum. That's why it is not allowed to be used to clean airplane parts.
Zep.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep, every year or two. Aluminum foil over the air filter and alternator then simple green and garden hose.

My 16 year old engine.
http://<a href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8390/29052593024_49702e359e_b.jpg</a>_MG_1293 by L J, on Flickr" />

Needs cleaning again.
View Quote

Looks good!  Love the Miatas.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only done it once and it made me nervous. I. Don't drive beaters but I don't drive show cars either, don't see the need to clean the engine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, about once a year .. or about six times in two weeks if I get a used car that hasn't been maintained well.

I use a power washer but it's on a low pressure setting, and I'll put foil over any connections I think are sensitive,
most aren't. Never had a problem. There are some cars out there that are hyper-sensitive to water, and
if you google on them they'll turn up on the "don't do this" list with detailers warning each other.

I do my own maintenance and I won't want to deal with a half-inch thick layer of grease when I do a repair,
and I want to be able to see any leaks when the happen.

Last used car I got literally had more than a half-inch buildup on large parts of the underbody due to a
oil leak that was never fixed. Used the pressure washer to cut it off, not wash it off, and toss solid chunks
of the stuff into the trash after. No way was I wrenching on that car until it was clean.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't "Wash" it per se but I do detail it
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you ever stop and think that all that rain and water thrown up by other cars can make it thru the radiator and end up on your engine?
Years ago distributor caps had slide up windows to allow you to adjust the points. Those cars would often die after driving thru a puddle. That water or the steam from the water on the engine would get past the widow and short out the ignition system.

It doesn't happen on cars anymore. It's perfectly fine to wash an engine. It's easier to spot oil leaks if clean.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#14]
wash? no.   keep clean yes.,  
I usually just wipe it down a couple times a year.  just took this pic tonight ,car is 21 years old bought it new in 95
daily driver.  it is about due for another wipedown.  has no leaks anywhere. when the rear valve cover developed a leak a couple years ago
it was very easy to spot.  had to pull off the intake manifold to get to it so took the time then to hit the manifold with a wire brush to de dirtify it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The gm LS series will trap moisture and rust the knock sensors and ruin them.
View Quote

The LT1 you would knock out the optishit on them,that cost me 700 fucking dollars.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#16]
No.  I don't even wash the outside of my car.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
About once a year, I rinse/wash my engine and compartment.  Usually takes only five minutes or so after changing the oil.  I get tired of seeing it so dirty.  
This knocks off the dust, get the bugs/debris off the radiator (and transmission cooler), removes pieces of stray leaves and other things that could cause corrosion.  

I don't use a power washer.  I'd be afraid that I'd loosen a vacuum hose or electrical contact.  

I don't see this would cause any problems.  What sayeth the hive?  
View Quote

Something like that. Damp rag to remove dirt, leaves, insects, etc. Then with some silicone I go over the rubber and plastic parts.
Looks good and the silicone does help a LOT to keep plastics oin good shape as time goes by.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Brawndo?  The stuff from the toilet?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use Brawndo, it's got what cars need.

Brawndo?  The stuff from the toilet?    

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Sure have.  But, not on an annual basis.  Not even on any schedule.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not on a modern car.
View Quote

5.3 Chevy knock sensors are relatively easy to change....
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes just about every time I wash my car, I hit it with just soapy water and wash down the engine. Makes it easier to work on plus when you trade it in or sell it looks like you took better care of the car then the average owner.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not a single time.
View Quote

This. Just washed my 11 yo truck for the FIRST time this summer, so might be awhile before I get around to the engine
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Not on my daily driver. That thin layer of grease and grime on everything protects against salt spray and corrosion. I'll clean a specific area before I wrench on it knowing the bolts will still break loose.  Not like people pop the hood in their driveway to show off their engine to the jealous neighbor men anymore like they did in the 50's and 60's when men were still mechanically curious about such things and cars were considered more than just leased transportation modules.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Note what shouldn't get wet and cover.  I have one car that has a vent hole in the power steering cap!  So be carful

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Especially when going from hot to cold.

Lots and lots to damage on a modern electronic engine control system.

No manufacturers recommend washing the engine compartment.
99% of all Components are not even close to water proof, only water resistant.,
Hard to get people to understand " It gets wet when driving in the rain"  yup but not the same as blasting it with 35psi+ hose.

Light rise if ness.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I do it twice a year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not on my daily driver. That thin layer of grease and grime on everything protects against salt spray and corrosion. I'll clean a specific area before I wrench on it knowing the bolts will still break loose.  Not like people pop the hood in their driveway to show off their engine to the jealous neighbor men anymore like they did in the 50's and 60's when men were still mechanically curious about such things and cars were considered more than just leased transportation modules.
View Quote

I have had friends that bought new cars and even car salesmen look at me like I have 3 heads when I want to see under the hood.
Kind of a "why would you want to look at that" type deal.

Should have seen the Toyota salesman look at me when I had a tape measure out under the hood of a new Tundra (I was doing some preliminary research for a potential engine swap).
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not on a modern car.
View Quote

This mainly........sometimes.........VERY light water spray around areas I know water won't do damage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Only if the engine bay is drenched in oil/ps fluid/etc.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I do it a couple times a year. I spray a neutral pH cleaner and brush any really dirty areas (non really exist) after rinsing the area, then rinse off. I don't cover anything. I use a pressure washer but with the pressure dialed all the way down, which is about equivalent to my garden hose with the nozzle set on "flat" spray. I've never had a problem, and never will. I don't blast anything in there with high pressure or keep the wand concentrated on any area. I do this on a cool engine.

It's far safer to do this on a modern car than an older one. Living near an ocean or driving on salted roads in the winter is more "dangerous" for an engine and electrical contacts than my method of washing it once in a while.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not on a modern car.

If you consider removing the intake manifold easy, not to mention the $60 each and it's such a pain that you go ahead and replace both.  If $120 in parts only for washing your engine is worth it to you then wash away!  

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I do it maybe once a year after winter to try to rinse the salt off. Just recently did it after a trip to the ocean as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]
A clean engine makes the DoT happy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Haven't done that since the 1970s.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes, to get the salt off.  Never with a pressure washer....too much risk of getting water into a place where it shouldn't be.
View Quote

This.  Too much electronics to get too into it.  Besides there are chemical cleaners that will detiorate certain metals, plastics, rubber...etc.  I knew a guy that always pressure washed his distribute r and couldn't understand why it ran like shit afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wash my f150 a few times a year, Just not directly at the spark plugs or electronics. Keep the pressure washer back so its not high pressure water directly blasting into where it doesn't belong. I like to drive after to get the engine up to temp to dry it off.

The engine gets soaked every time you drive in the rain so cleaning it is ok.
View Quote

wut?  No it doesn't. I mean, maybe if you take off the Hood, Fenders, bumper, grill and radiator, then it might get soaked in the rain....
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Yep

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes every time I wash my vehicles. I power wash the engine bay.
I've done it this way in over 40 years of driving all manner of vehicles.

I hear it increases resale value. My vehicles are typically shot with several hundred thousand when I'm done, but they have clean engine bays.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do you ever stop and think that all that rain and water thrown up by other cars can make it thru the radiator and end up on your engine?
Years ago distributor caps had slide up windows to allow you to adjust the points. Those cars would often die after driving thru a puddle. That water or the steam from the water on the engine would get past the widow and short out the ignition system.

It doesn't happen on cars anymore. It's perfectly fine to wash an engine. It's easier to spot oil leaks if clean.
View Quote

That water being splashed up doesn't even have the force of a garden hose.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

No.  I don't even wash the outside of my car.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know the fan sucks it straight through the radiator and blows directly on the engine, right?
Try looking under the hood sometime after driving in a hard rain...
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I keep cars and trucks for 10 years and longer if it's a really good, durable car.

I have never once washed the engine bay in any of them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Not mine,  but had mine just as dirty..     I just hose the shit out.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:14:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I used to.
I'd go to the coin operated wash and give it a good once over with the low pressure degreaser. Then the regular pressure clean water rinse.
Just stay off of the stuff you know doesn't work or play well with water.
If you really want to go all the way, spray all the non metal parts (hoses, plastic covers, etc...) with WD40. Don't wipe anything down, just spray it wet.
Your engine and engine compartment will look brand new.
View Quote

And shortly after will collect dirt/dust like never before !
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:16:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I wash the engine compartment of my 02' Ford Diesel more often than I wash the exterior, excluding the windows.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:20:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Do you dip you laptop in a sink full of water?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:41:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yep

<a href="http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/thorshammerblow2/media/photo_zpsxiqekiqt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af184/thorshammerblow2/photo_zpsxiqekiqt.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/thorshammerblow2/media/IMG_0558_zpsjq0amc8l.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af184/thorshammerblow2/IMG_0558_zpsjq0amc8l.jpg</a>
View Quote

the cobra is my favorite car ever

what's not to love?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:43:30 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't wash my engine ever

I don't have my sock drawer arranged by color, sock brand and level of wear either

I have enough stupid bullshit in my life to eat up my time, I don't need more stuff to do
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:58:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Once a year I break out the Simple Green, spray the engine compartment down, scrub a little, and gently hose it off.
Since none of my vehicles are oil leakers, the engine compartment stays very clean.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top