BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I do, but I'm totally stupid as to who is what and what period it's from.

As am I, i just know when I hear something that I like.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I like a LOT of classical music.   Incluing a lot that I've heard but never heard named...which can make it a little bit tough to go out

and buy a CD of it.

Samuel Barber and Gustav Mahler are my two favorite 20th century composer.   I suppose I like Debussy as much anyone else's work

from earlier centuries.   He really knew how to write a lyrical piece.

Russian composers generally are a solid bet, too.   They have a distinctive style,  one I like.

Generally,  I like music that has a memorable melody that wouldn't require you to perform acrobatic stunts with your vocal cords to sing it,

although I'm certainly not going to be singing anything.    

The reason I like a lot of classical is the same reason that I find that I don't care for a lot of jazz.   When a singable melody is hard to find,

it kind of kills my interest.   Meandering around the scale without any readily identifiable and melodic pattern simply doesn't do it for me

CJ

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Film scores are the classical music of our time

I beleive this is true.  There are a few modern 'classical' composers out there, but most of the classical style new material written today is for film.

My buddy, a high school music teacher, says Philip Glass is the closest thing to a modern classical composer he can think of.

20th century music is shit.

It is the musical equivalent of modern art, using weird scales and time signatures to create "different" music, which for me is not pleasing at all. Think whole tone scales and 7/4 time signatures.

To contrast, a lot of movie scores are excellent, and I love listening to many movie soundtracks. A lot of work goes into those, and many sound fantastic.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Funny You should ask....

I have lots of music on My PC here at work. (Rock & Classical).

95% of the time it's Classical I play. Keeps Me set on "stun" rather than "kill" while on the job.

So far Today: Beethoven's 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th Symphonies.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I beleive this is true.  There are a few modern 'classical' composers out there, but most of the classical style new material written today is for film.

My buddy, a high school music teacher, says Philip Glass is the closest thing to a modern classical composer he can think of.

It is the musical equivalent of modern art, using weird scales and time signatures to create "different" music, which for me is not pleasing at all. Think whole tone scales and 7/4 time signatures.

To contrast, a lot of movie scores are excellent, and I love listening to many movie soundtracks. A lot of work goes into those, and many sound fantastic.

Wrong. Dimitri Shostakovitch.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I like a LOT of classical music.   Incluing a lot that I've heard but never heard named...which can make it a little bit tough to go out

and buy a CD of it.

Samuel Barber and Gustav Mahler are my two favorite 20th century composer.   I suppose I like Debussy as much anyone else's work

from earlier centuries.   He really knew how to write a lyrical piece.

Russian composers generally are a solid bet, too.   They have a distinctive style,  one I like.

Generally,  I like music that has a memorable melody that wouldn't require you to perform acrobatic stunts with your vocal cords to sing it,

although I'm certainly not going to be singing anything.    

The reason I like a lot of classical is the same reason that I find that I don't care for a lot of jazz.   When a singable melody is hard to find,

it kind of kills my interest.   Meandering around the scale without any readily identifiable and melodic pattern simply doesn't do it for me

CJ

Yep. German and Russian are my favorites.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
"Coming in low out of the rising sun and about a mile out we'll put on the music."

"music?"

"Yea, we play Wagner, scares the hell out of the slopes."

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Wagner FTMFW
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then, 20th century music history classes suck too!

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

"Coming in low out of the rising sun and about a mile out we'll put on the music."

"music?"

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate it but it's not on my playlist.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#12]

My entire classic collection.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I listen to classical music more than anything else these days.  Got it streaming through the external speakers right now.

A great classical station that streams to the net can be found at:  www.kcme.org  

They're located in Colorado Springs.

Must say, I was somewhat surprised to see so many who enjoy it, here.  Who knew?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I listen to classical music more than anything else these days. Got it streaming through the external speakers right now.

A great classical station that streams to the net can be found at: www.kcme.org

They're located in Colorado Springs.

Must say, I was somewhat surprised to see so many who enjoy it, here. Who knew?

Thank you for the link.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I was raised on it. Love classical. Rachmaninov, Beethoven, Liszt...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I like pianos.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#17]
kvod.org, the only station I listen to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#18]
huh.

and here i thought i was the only arfcommmer that liked classical music.

i enjoy strings and piano. don't really like hardcore opera, but some of the new stuff is good.  

like others have said, its nice to relax to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, but hate opera.

Me too... but I'll make an exception for Bizet's Carmen and Rossini's Barber of Seville. I do like those operas!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but hate opera.

Me too... but I'll make an exception for Bizet's Carmen and Rossini's Barber of Seville. I do like those operas!

Opera Overtures are among some of the greatest symphonic pieces ever composed.

Mozart's Magic Flute and Don Giovanni, Beethoven's Egmont, Mascagni's Cavaleria Rusticana, Rossini's Thieving Magpie and Barber of Seville are all great works, although listening to the operas themselves is a bit much.

If people are looking to get into classical music, the Deutsche Grammaphone series that VonKarajan conducted are consistently high quality and the available catalog is HUGE.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"music?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz3Cc7wlfkI

this will be in my head for the rest of the day now
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

5th Symphony 1st Movement

5th Symphony 4th Movement

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 1812 Overture has cannons.  

My life loves the 1812 probably her favorite classical piece

This is one of my favorites too!

I thought it was pretty cool when the local symphony orchestra performed this piece for our 4th of July fireworks show. Complete with Howitzers and all!

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes.

Pachelbel Canon in D comes to mind.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I listen to classical/opera more than anything else.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I listen to far more classical music than anything else.

Same, my iPod is all non-lyrical music (not all classical though).  People always give me weird looks when they ride in my car the first time and one of Haydn's String Quartets comes on followed by Anamanaguchi 'Blackout City'.  I have been infatuated with classical guitar lately and recommend Heitor Villa-Lobos Concerto.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but hate opera.

Carmina Burana?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I appreciate it. I don't listen to it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Simple poll

I listen to most music out there, but lately I'm on a classical fix to relax myself a bit.  

Chopin

I have about 200 pieces on CD and LP.

Great on Sunday mornings, when the windows are open and the sun is shining.

Vivaldi, Mozart, Handel and Wagner, for when I want to piss the neighbors off.

Small scale quartets are especially relaxing.

Chris

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Funny You should ask....

I have lots of music on My PC here at work. (Rock & Classical).

95% of the time it's Classical I play. Keeps Me set on "stun" rather than "kill" while on the job.

So far Today: Beethoven's 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th Symphonies.
The Ol' Crew Chief

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ditto, that is where most of the new music is being commissioned. But movie studios are trying to move away from that to save money, and using music in the public domain, hence all of those old songs showing up in movies and video games such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

The classical music station in Los Angeles KMZT 102.7 recently stopped broadcasting because Mercedes a major advertiser pulled out. We only have one classical music station in Los Angeles now.

I like Hoslt the Planets, Rachmaninov Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (Introduction and 24 Variations)
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I like something from every genre of music accept opera and polka.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#32]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbFxVVLM2zc

Beethoven's Symphony No. 6, 3rd movement

This is my favorite movement of my favorite symphony, by my favorite composer
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Listen to WRR 101.1 FM in Dallas while driving to help keep my cool with all the idiot drivers on the tollway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Tchaikowsky
Dvorak
Smetlana
Prokofiev
Rimsky-Korsakov
Mozart
Beethoven
Saint-Saens
Shostakovich
Stravinsky
Grieg

Russian composers are my favorite I guess.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#36]
If by "classical" you mean pre-1980 Black Sabbath then yes, I listen to classical music.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Listen to WRR 101.1 FM in Dallas while driving to help keep my cool with all the idiot drivers on the tollway.

This.

March of the Day is what got me to school from the 3rd to 12th grade.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I recommend Dvorak, one of my favorite composers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#40]
sure I appreciate it, but I dont listen to it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#41]

And Neo-classical.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top