Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I dry fire my carry gun mostly to stay out of the habit of pushing to the left when I squeeze the trigger. That was a hard habit to break.

I don't have a real reason for it, but with my AR & my 870 I dryfire after I clear the chamber before storing both of them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, and?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. I even dry fire my .22's.

Break open shotguns should never be dry fired without a snap cap, but I don't own one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I dry fire all of the ones that don't specifically say not to dry-fire.  Anschutz 22s have been dry fired millions of times with no problems.  Some other designs just cannot handle it (most 22s cannot).  CZs and Autauga Arms both come with snap caps since their designs are more sensitive to dry-firing.

I was speaking with a WWII vet over Christmas.  I showed him a Springfield 1911A1.  He told me never to dry fire it.  He was taught that the firing pin would damage the breechface.  I have dryfired 1911s many times with no damage.  However, it isn't a good idea to let a 1911 slam shut on an empty chamber.  It was meant to be impeded by loading a cartridge.  

As always, it depends.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I dry-fire.  I put a black tack on a 1" by 1" piece of paper at the end of my hallway, and snap in.  

I also dry-fire my 10/22.  As long as the firing pin doesn't extend past the bolt face (or a stop on the bolt face if the face doesn't contact the bolt), you won't hit the barrel with the firing pin.  That's all you need to check.

If you don't believe me, go to rimfirecentral.com and search for "dry-fire 10/22".  The 10/22 is one of those rare rimfires that you CAN dry-fire with, and it doesnt hurt anything.  Besides, with no bolt-stop...how many of you fire on an empty chamber because your mag was empty and you werent counting...  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes. Quite often.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I broke the firing pin on my Mauser C-96 dry firing it so now I use a Snap-Cap and it works great.

Kel-Tec tells you not to dry fire their 9mm's. I don't know if this it to protect the gun or protect the company from a AD lawsuit.

All my other guns I dry fire w/o Snap-caps.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I dry fire all my centerfire firearms.  It's a pet peeve of mine when somebody won't dry fire their guns without snap caps.  Geez, it's not made of porcelain!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]
yes with the proper preparation and technique.
The same way every time.
This is practice..
This is practice..
This is practice..
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I've found that it helps to "gear-up" when you dry fire.  

I will at least wear  my glasses and ear muffs...so I get used to them being there.  Makes the practice a little more like actual shooting.  I could dry fire one day, and shoot the next.  My cheekweld and view through my glasses feels the same when I live-fire, because that's how I practiced at home.

Just a thought.  It might not make a difference, but it might.  
I'll usually put some tunes in headphones inside my muffs.  Makes it a little less boring, and you'll be able to lay there for awhile when you have good music in your ears.    

Another thing I'll do is get a good sight picture on my black thumbtack.  Get real comfy in prone, and then close my eyes.  Just lay there.  Listen to an entire song.  Now open your eyes...still have your sights on the tack?    
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I only dry-fire centerfires, never rimfires.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, but not at my TV.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes, but not at my TV.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Dry fire practice improved my shooting immeasurably when I started shooting ARs.

I dry fire like a sumbitch.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top