User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the real world.  It sucks.  I work in the computer field, and our suppliers market online, along with the manufacturers doing direct selling and marketing also.  An example is cisco (they all do the same or similar thing).  They have channel reps and direct reps.  If a direct rep gets in on an account, the channel gets cut out completely.  Even if the account is an existing customer of a reseller.  These direct reps are also actively pursuing customers.  That's a little different than someone finding a price on a web site or catalog.  Cisco direct is out knocking on our customers  doors....sucks.  We also have customers who order directly from our wholesalers too.  Double whammy.
View Quote

So would you compound the situation by selling "at cost?"

I am very aware of the "real world" situation. That is why I have taken the necessary steps to ensure my busniess will survive and support itself.
View Quote

Yes, we have sold at or near cost to get a deal.  That would be a 6 or 7 figure deal, but yes we have and will do it.  We operate on about 7 points margin or less on average for hardware sales.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problems with that, just wish I could afford the nice car part. My Dodge sucks.
View Quote

Maybe you can get a new car and put "SteyrAUGS Welfare Guns For Communists" on the side and write it off?
View Quote

Write offs do not equal profits, pay the bills or put food on the table.

Do you guys pull this crap with hookers too?

C'mon baby 10% is more than fair...
You can write it off...
I can get it on the internet cheaper than that...
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes, we have sold at or near cost to get a deal.  That would be a 6 or 7 figure deal, but yes we have and will do it.  We operate on about 7 points margin or less on average for hardware sales.
View Quote

Tell ya what skippy, come buy six to seven figures worth of guns and we will talk "near cost."

But when I got some guy buying a $300.00 gun from the internet, forget it.

Also you seem to work for a company, I am on my own with no fallback or safeguards. I go under and I'm all over.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell ya what skippy, come buy six to seven figures worth of guns and we will talk "near cost."

But when I got some guy buying a $300.00 gun from the internet, forget it.

Also you seem to work for a company, I am on my own with no fallback or safeguards. I go under and I'm all over.
View Quote

I have a feeling your job is a bit more secure than mine.  Looked at the high tech world lately?  Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have a feeling your job is a bit more secure than mine.  Looked at the high tech world lately?  Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs.
View Quote

Sorry to hear. But that is why I run it the way I do. I accomplish NOTHING by going out of business.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as dealer prices, mark-up depends on overhead usually.  The cost of rent, state and local liscenses, b&o taxes as well as employee costs can make a 50% mark-up easy to understand.  I do not disagree with charging 20 or even 50 dollars to special order and transfer a gun if the level of service and typical costs warrant the price.

I do dislike crooked gun dealers who lie about selling to you at "cost" and charge full retail to you.  I friggin hate those a-holes that steal the hi-caps from the boxes and try and sell them back.  I special ordered an expensive gun from a crook I used to know, he tried to screw me on the accessories.  He still has them three years later.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
StyrAug, I can appreciate your need to make a profit, but a couple points if I may:

Did you say you sell an average of 3 guns per Week?  You may increase your overall profit, if you accept a lower markup on a higher volume.

I believe that the number of FFL's has decreased because the BATF, under the direction of Bill Clinton, had a program to erradicate the "kitchen table" dealers.

I also believe that certain FFL dealers approve of this program because it eliminates the competition.

You have my admiration, and my sypathy if you are indeed making a living on selling 3 guns a week.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top