BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Standard for Austria, Norway, Sweden.

I'm not sure who else.

It isn't a widely used standard issue .mil pistol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Glocktards
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Looking at the list I'd say.............................no real ones.

You don't consider the IDF a real military force? Do you actually live in THIS world?

I think he was talking about the spelling "Isreal" as apposed to "Israel"
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Of the ones I've heard about all either issue or authorize Glocks currently.
Thank you.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not the type of guy to have huge collections of all sorts of various guns.

I'm not either. I bought a new Colt Government Model when I was 16 for $479 + tax at Lew's Gunshop. It was perfect. The only other handgun I own is a revolver.

I only buy guns I know to be reliable as I don't have the money to gamble.

With reliability it is always a gamble. Do you have any evidence that Colt is any more of a gamble than anyone else these days?

A 1911 won't ever constitute a need again so long as I can buy lighter, more reliable, just as accurate handguns for much cheaper.

Lighter and just as accurate, yes, but not necessarily "much cheaper", and you can't get more reliable than ... reliable.

In any event, if you can afford $750 (less in some places), you can afford a new reliable 1911. I added the "unless you get a lemon" caveat not because of any specific knowledge that Colt is any more prone to lemons than anyone else, but because that applies to all manufacturers. I never claim that any type of gun is automatically granted inherent reliability from On High, only that there are plenty of designs that are reliable when built correctly, the 1911 being one of them; and Colt being a company that certainly is capable of building them correctly (it is their gun afterall).
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not either. I bought a new Colt Government Model when I was 16 for $479 + tax at Lew's Gunshop. It was perfect. The only other handgun I own is a revolver.

With reliability it is always a gamble. Do you have any evidence that Colt is any more of a gamble than anyone else these days?

A 1911 won't ever constitute a need again so long as I can buy lighter, more reliable, just as accurate handguns for much cheaper.

Lighter and just as accurate, yes, but not necessarily "much cheaper", and you can't get more reliable than ... reliable.

In any event, if you can afford $750 (less in some places), you can afford a new reliable 1911. I added the "unless you get a lemon" caveat not because of any specific knowledge that Colt is any more prone to lemons than anyone else, but because that applies to all manufacturers. I never claim that any type of gun is automatically granted inherent reliability from On High, only that there are plenty of designs that are reliable when built correctly, the 1911 being one of them; and Colt being a company that certainly is capable of building them correctly (it is their gun afterall).

My "evidence" is my personal experience, that no manufacturer of 1911s has the out of box reliability rate of Glocks or M&Ps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an E-7 in my battalion in Iraq who worked with the locals on the upkeep of the Fob. He carried a Glock. Don't know why, but i never asked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My "evidence" is my personal experience, that no manufacturer of 1911s has the out of box reliability rate of Glocks or M&Ps.

How many box stock Colts have you experience with? I'm going to be skeptical if you claim something like "plenty" because they are so overlooked these days. They don't advertize hardly any, if at all; you have all the gunshops out there that think Colt doesn't even make them anymore; they are rarely if ever featured in magazines ... all the attention is on the Gee Whiz 1911s from Kimber or Springfield Armory ... I swear there's a whole generation of kids nowadays that think Kimber invented the damn things. I've seen discussions on movie forums where someone will ask what type of gun someone was using in such and such a movie, and invariably there'll be dozens of replies from people trying to figure out which model of Kimber or SA a gun is, when it is clearly a Colt.

It is a shame that failures of 1911-type guns manufactured by every Tom, Dick, and Harry have the ability to affect the reputation of the 1911 design in general among the general public, but that's what happens. That's one of the reasons for patent laws, so that Joe Blow can't ruin your reputation by building your design to whatever specs he feels like; but unfortunately, those expire after a time.

Let forty-eleven different companies start building the Glock design and see what happens.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#10]
1 other thing Glock can do an external safety, they have done it for a customer and will again if needed to win a contract.  So it is out there and it does exist
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock peaked at owning 65% of the market share of departments in the U.S. and is going down.

Glock reports an increase in market share as of 2010. Also, the M&P is not directly taking away market share from Glock. Many of the PD's that adopted it were carrying SIG/Beretta/S&W SIGMA's, 3rd GEN's and SW99's.

Police Departments buy guns based on price, for a majority of employee's that are shooting twice a year.

I don't make ANY purchase decisions for firearms based on what Police agencies purchase (except ammo).  As a side note, local cops where I live who have the option of using privately purchased side arms don't use GLOCKS for the most part.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock peaked at owning 65% of the market share of departments in the U.S. and is going down.

Glock reports an increase in market share as of 2010. Also, the M&P is not directly taking away market share from Glock. Many of the PD's that adopted it were carrying SIG/Beretta/S&W SIGMA's, 3rd GEN's and SW99's.

Police Departments buy guns based on price, for a majority of employee's that are shooting twice a year.

I don't make ANY purchase decisions for firearms based on what Police agencies purchase (except ammo).  As a side note, local cops where I live who have the option of using privately purchased side arms don't use GLOCKS for the most part.

This. Keep in mind, nowadays most LEOs carry their guns, never practice with them, and treat them more like just another piece of equipment
Frankly, I don't care if that type of LEO carries a 1911, in my mind it's nothing to brag about.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many box stock Colts have you experience with? I'm going to be skeptical if you claim something like "plenty" because they are so overlooked these days. They don't advertize hardly any, if at all; you have all the gunshops out there that think Colt doesn't even make them anymore; they are rarely if ever featured in magazines ... all the attention is on the Gee Whiz 1911s from Kimber or Springfield Armory ... I swear there's a whole generation of kids nowadays that think Kimber invented the damn things. I've seen discussions on movie forums where someone will ask what type of gun someone was using in such and such a movie, and invariably there'll be dozens of replies from people trying to figure out which model of Kimber or SA a gun is, when it is clearly a Colt.

It is a shame that failures of 1911-type guns manufactured by every Tom, Dick, and Harry have the ability to affect the reputation of the 1911 design in general among the general public, but that's what happens. That's one of the reasons for patent laws, so that Joe Blow can't ruin your reputation by building your design to whatever specs he feels like; but unfortunately, those expire after a time.

Let forty-eleven different companies start building the Glock design and see what happens.

Honestly dude, colts are nothing special. It's just a name. Production guns are production guns. There is not* a gulf of difference between Colt and springfield or DW or STI... unless we're talking about which gun's slide is better to shave with
Granted their parts quality is pretty good, and amongst production guns there are only a handful I'd buy from, and kimber isn't on the list. The fact of the matter is that the 1911 is not a design that's cut out for how we build guns now adays. The 1911 was great at a time when labor was cheap  here, it isn't any more. The design is a weeee tad bit more complex  than any of the modern plastic guns out now. There are parts that need to be handfit, and in order to save money (as most* people who buy guns dont' shoot them very much), costs were cut, and a times quality suffers. Extractor tension is a common issue for production 1911s out of the box, regardless of make- though some are worse than others. Feed ramps and chambers is another area. Slidestops is another.
Oh and the almighty cult? I've seen pictures of colts that have left the factory with BACKWARDS FRONTSITES. I'm not kidding, i've seen the damn picture, I've heard similar tales from people I trust*.   This doesn't mean colt is bad- this just means that there are realities when it comes to production 1911s.  If all it took was a colt 1991 to be super perfectly reliable and accurate out of the box? Then the FBI's HRT might not have gone with their springfield professionals .
In all seriousness though, there's a reason a custom/semi-custom market exists, and it's not because the 1911 lends itself to today's production climate.  Sure, some guys shell out ass tons of money to get pretty and unique looking guns - but many are paying for a gun that they KNOW is reliable, and has been through the hands of a guy who knows his shit.

A gun like a S&W M&P or a glock is more likely than any 1911 in a similar price bracket to be more reliable out of the box - I've never heard ANYONE "in the know" say otherwise.
i'm not saying an inexpensive production 1911 can't work - but it is far more likely to have issues than one of the other designs above - it's just a reality of the platform.
and I say this as someone who *loves* his high dollar custom 1911   I envy no one who has a plastic gun, my 1911 is good to go. Many are.

Guys who have shot a lot of these plastic guns and 1911s will come to these conclusions:
-The shooter matters most.
-train.
-glocks are best had in 9mm
-if you want to treat your gun like a lawnmower, get a glock or M&P etc
-if you have some change, and you're willing to learn about the platform, then perhaps a 1911 is for you. they can be  as reliable as a glock- BUT they just don't lend themselves to being cheap and able to handle neglect
-people who say they've seen every production 1911 of _____ company has run fine, generally has seen few pistols, or menial round counts. no production brand is ever 100%, again, it's a reality of the platform, and of guns in general in all honesty.

I'm not space shuttle door gunner... You may attack me* personally all you wish, and point out that i'm some dipshit with an internet connection? But all that above is based on solid info.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

-if you have some change, and you're willing to learn about the platform, then perhaps a 1911 is for you. they can be  as reliable as a glock- BUT they just don't lend themselves to being cheap and able to handle neglect

My RIA 1911 cost less than a GLOCK and has been just as reliable and able to handle neglect.

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My RIA 1911 cost less than a GLOCK and has been just as reliable and able to handle neglect.

Just sayin'.

There's different kinds of neglect- going through a shitty environment is one, lack of maintenance is another. Many like to claim the 1911 would hiccup at the slightest sight of a single grain of sand... but the damn thing has run fine horrible conditions since WW1. Now some will say "YEAH BUT THOSE GUNS ARE BUILT LOOSER HERPDERP." Not exactly. When those guns left the factory in WW1 and WW2 (the last they were made), they were not the rattle traps they'd become 500,000+ rounds later!!
With that said, man, in equal conditions, the 1911 is not as able to handle lack of maintenance as a quality modern plastic gun. It's not so much about whose name is on the side of your gun? It's just a reality of the platform. I mean the big reason why Delta is issuing more glocks is the maintenance- With the heavy firing schedule those guys have? It just became a pain in the neck to keep that unit's 1911s running. That's pretty much it. They didn't switch because the glock was better as a gun- (from what I've heard- and i can't confirm this particular bit of info, CAG guys did kinda miss that 1911 trigger, and as a result they have the only true factory 4lb trigger setup in their glocks), and hell, at first their G22s had issues running with lights- just like everyone else's... The switch was for the cost, time, and headaches -not because the glock is a better shooting gun than the 1911, or that the 1911 is unreliable.

Sidenote:
Of the inexpensive 1911s, RIA is my first choice. from what I understand the feed ramp angles are consistently good on those guns. I believe they have cast slides* though, and that's a part I wouldn't want cast .   But hey, if your gun runs , it runs- regardless of what someone with a keyboard says.. but the fact of the matter is if you got 100 RIA 1911s, and 100 glock 19s, and put equal round counts through them, feeding not just* FMJ rounds? The 1911s are going to need more maintenance, and are more likely* to have more failures out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

GLOCK

Picked 10:1 over any other handgun by retarded juggalos....  

GLOCK

a 30 yr old obsolete marginal quality handgun

I knew I liked you

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GLOCK

GLOCK

Glock. The handgun of Choice of 7 out of 10 American lawmen CHIEFS BEAN COUNTERS. That is an undeniable fact.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#18]
A lot of people keep bringing up the S&W M&P. I tried one a while back and that trigger was even worse than that of the Glock. Is this common on the M&Ps or was the one I tried a lemon? I really wanted to like it because it fit my hand well but that trigger put me off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

A lot of people keep bringing up the S&W M&P. I tried one a while back and that trigger was even worse than that of the Glock. Is this common on the M&Ps or was the one I tried a lemon? I really wanted to like it because it fit my hand well but that trigger put me off.

Common. Replace with Apex fire control components. I just took a dremel to mine and it's very nice now.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:16:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Common. Replace with Apex fire control components. I just took a dremel to mine and it's very nice now.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#21]
so in a M&P it takes 90 to 95 bucks to get parts from Apex to make the trigger better

On the Glock $24 bucks to Glockworx gets you right at a 2lb trigger

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:57:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

so in a M&P it takes 90 to 95 bucks to get parts from Apex to make the trigger better

On the Glock $24 bucks to Glockworx gets you right at a 2lb trigger

No, it takes 20 minutes with a dremel, but if you're lazy you can order the Apex stuff. My standard procedure on a new M&P - dump mag safety, dump internal sear release, dremel fire control components, takes about half an hour,  but not everyone has skills like me.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I wonder if he's proud to wear that uniform when he looks in the mirror every morning.

Quoted:

The Glock pistol is used in some fashion by almost every country on the planet. Even Russia.

http://media.englishrussia.com/moscow_swat/21.jpg  

what you did there... well you know

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:00:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Sold many Glock 21 or HK's to Marines going back for second tour of Iraq...They wanted more gun in their searches of property then the 9mm issue. Said their M4s to large to use in cramped home searches..

Army vets said US Army wouldn't allow personal sidearms like the US Marines.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

GLOCK

"Obsolete?" At a mere 28 years old, the Glock is amongst the newest commonly used firearms designs. Also, the Glock uses only the highest quality materials and manufacturing processes. This is unarguable.

This is from an M4C user who recently took the advanced armorer's course:

"4 parts aren't made by Glock. All the springs are made by a Swiss Company. The extractors, locking blocks and now strikers are all MIM and made in Europe. The striker/FP used to be made from 1 piece of steel. The locking blocks and extractors have always been MIM/cast."

He's an avid Glock shooter and likes the platform, so please, don't freak out. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:51:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock#Users

Users

CountryOrganizationModel
AustraliaNew South Wales Department of Corrective Services [57] , New South Wales Police,[58][59] Queensland Police,[59] Western Australia Police,[59] and Northern Territory Police[59]Glock 22, Glock 23, Glock 27
Glock 17 outfitted with a thumb safety was designed specifically for the Tasmania Police[60] Also used by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service[61]Glock 17
AustriaAustrian Armed Forces[62][63][64]Glock 17 (designated Pistole 80)
BelgiumBelgium police (federal and local)[65]Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26
CanadaNumerous local law enforcement agencies including those of Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Saskatoon, South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Police Service, and Toronto[63]-
Czech RepublicNon-standard sidearm issued to personnel on international deployments[66]Glock 17
EcuadorNational Police[63]-
Various special police units such as the GOE and GIR[63]-
FijiTactical Response Unit[67]-
FinlandPrimary service firearm of the police[68]-
Defence Forces[69]Glock 17 (designated 9.00 PIST 2008)
Department of Corrections (Vankeinhoitolaitos)[69]-
Border Guard[69]-
FranceCertain naval and parachute units of the French Army[64][70]Glock 17
GeorgiaSpecial forces[63][64]Glock 17
GermanyGSG 9 of the German Federal Police[63]Glock 17
GreeceEKAM[71]Glock 21
GreenlandSiriuspatruljen[72]Glock 20
Hong KongSpecial Duties Unit[63]Glock 17
Hong Kong Police Force[63]Glock 17
IcelandIcelandic National Police[73][74][75]-
Víkingasveitin[73][74][75]-
ICRU[73][74][75]
IndiaNational Security Guards[63][76]Glock 17, Glock 26
Special Protection Group (replaced with FN Five-seven in 2008)[77]Glock 17
IndonesiaIndonesian Armed Forces[64]Glock 17
IraqIraqi security forces (largest user, purchased 125,163 pistols)[78][79]Glock 19
IsraelIsraeli Defense Forces[64]Glock 17
JordanPresidential Guard[63]-
KosovoKosovo Police[80][81]Glock 17
Kosovo Security Force[80][81]Glock 17
LatviaLatvian Military[64][82]Glock 17
LithuaniaLithuanian Armed Forces[64][83]Glock 17
LuxembourgUnité Spéciale de la Police of the Grand Ducal Police[84][85]Glock 17, Glock 26
MalaysiaMalaysian Armed Forces[86]Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 34
Royal Malaysian Police[86]-
MexicoSecretaria de Marina[63]-
MontenegroMilitary of Montenegro[87]Glock 17
NetherlandsMilitary of the Netherlands[64][88][89]Glock 17, Glock 26
Dutch police (about 250 Glock 17 pistols in use as a stopgap measure by the Arrestatieteam (the SWAT-team of the Dutch police), Glock 26 used by the Royal Marechaussee of the Brigade Speciale Beveiligingsopdrachten unit persoonsbeveiliging (PB), observatie team (OT) and sky marshals sections.)[90][91][92][93]Glock 17, Glock 26
New ZealandNew Zealand Police[94]Glock 17
NorwayRoyal Norwegian Army[63][64]Glock 17 (designated P-80)
PhilippinesPhilippine National Police[63]-
National Bureau of Investigation[63]-
National Intelligence Coordinating Agency[63]-
Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency[63]-
PolandPolish Armed Forces[64]Glock 17
Polish police[95]Glock 19
PortugalPortuguese Marine Corps[64][96]Glock 17
Republican National Guard[96]Glock 19
Public Security Police[96]Glock 19
RomaniaRomanian Armed Forces[64]Glock 17
RussiaMinistry of Internal Affairs (MVD)[97][98]-
SingaporeSingapore Prison Service [99]Glock 19
Special Task Squadron (STS) of the Police Coast Guard [100]Glock 19
SpainGuardia Civil's UEI[101]Glock 17
SwedenSwedish Armed Forces[64][102][103]Glock 17 (designated Pistol 88), Glock 19 (designated Pistol 88B)
SwitzerlandPolice (Gendarmerie) Cantonal of Geneva[104]Glock 19
ThailandNational police (2,238 pistols)[63]Glock 19
United KingdomSpecialist Firearms Command of the London Metropolitan Police Service[105]Glock 17, Glock 26 [106][107]
Scottish Police Specialist Firearms Units[108]Glock 17
Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI)[109]Glock 17
United StatesDepartment of Treasury IRS Criminal Investigation Division[110]-
Drug Enforcement Administration[111]-
New York City Police Department[112]Glock 19
Baltimore City Police Department[113]Glock 22
Thousands of other law enforcement agencies at the federal, state and local levels[2]-
VenezuelaVenezuelan Armed Forces[63][64]Glock 17

Most of those are NOT military.  Now, post a list of a military using it as a standard issue.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A good number of our "operators" use them.

Standard issue.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_pistol#Users

No reason this list shouldn't be accurate.

ETA: Beat

And just like the list that beat you, the vast majority are NOT military.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:54:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock#Users

Users

CountryOrganizationModel
AustraliaNew South Wales Department of Corrective Services [57] , New South Wales Police,[58][59] Queensland Police,[59] Western Australia Police,[59] and Northern Territory Police[59]Glock 22, Glock 23, Glock 27
Glock 17 outfitted with a thumb safety was designed specifically for the Tasmania Police[60] Also used by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service[61]Glock 17
AustriaAustrian Armed Forces[62][63][64]Glock 17 (designated Pistole 80)
BelgiumBelgium police (federal and local)[65]Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26
CanadaNumerous local law enforcement agencies including those of Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Saskatoon, South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Police Service, and Toronto[63]-
Czech RepublicNon-standard sidearm issued to personnel on international deployments[66]Glock 17
EcuadorNational Police[63]-
Various special police units such as the GOE and GIR[63]-
FijiTactical Response Unit[67]-
FinlandPrimary service firearm of the police[68]-

Defence Forces[69]Glock 17 (designated 9.00 PIST 2008)
Department of Corrections (Vankeinhoitolaitos)[69]-
Border Guard[69]-
FranceCertain naval and parachute units of the French Army[64][70]Glock 17
GeorgiaSpecial forces[63][64]Glock 17
GermanyGSG 9 of the German Federal Police[63]Glock 17
GreeceEKAM[71]Glock 21
GreenlandSiriuspatruljen[72]Glock 20
Hong KongSpecial Duties Unit[63]Glock 17
Hong Kong Police Force[63]Glock 17
IcelandIcelandic National Police[73][74][75]-
Víkingasveitin[73][74][75]-
ICRU[73][74][75]
IndiaNational Security Guards[63][76]Glock 17, Glock 26
Special Protection Group (replaced with FN Five-seven in 2008)[77]Glock 17
IndonesiaIndonesian Armed Forces[64]Glock 17
IraqIraqi security forces (largest user, purchased 125,163 pistols)[78][79]Glock 19
IsraelIsraeli Defense Forces[64]Glock 17
JordanPresidential Guard[63]-
KosovoKosovo Police[80][81]Glock 17
Kosovo Security Force[80][81]Glock 17
LatviaLatvian Military[64][82]Glock 17
LithuaniaLithuanian Armed Forces[64][83]Glock 17
LuxembourgUnité Spéciale de la Police of the Grand Ducal Police[84][85]Glock 17, Glock 26
MalaysiaMalaysian Armed Forces[86]Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 34
Royal Malaysian Police[86]-
MexicoSecretaria de Marina[63]-
MontenegroMilitary of Montenegro[87]Glock 17
NetherlandsMilitary of the Netherlands[64][88][89]Glock 17, Glock 26
Dutch police (about 250 Glock 17 pistols in use as a stopgap measure by the Arrestatieteam (the SWAT-team of the Dutch police), Glock 26 used by the Royal Marechaussee of the Brigade Speciale Beveiligingsopdrachten unit persoonsbeveiliging (PB), observatie team (OT) and sky marshals sections.)[90][91][92][93]Glock 17, Glock 26
New ZealandNew Zealand Police[94]Glock 17
NorwayRoyal Norwegian Army[63][64]Glock 17 (designated P-80)
PhilippinesPhilippine National Police[63]-
National Bureau of Investigation[63]-
National Intelligence Coordinating Agency[63]-
Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency[63]-
PolandPolish Armed Forces[64]Glock 17
Polish police[95]Glock 19
PortugalPortuguese Marine Corps[64][96]Glock 17
Republican National Guard[96]Glock 19
Public Security Police[96]Glock 19
RomaniaRomanian Armed Forces[64]Glock 17
RussiaMinistry of Internal Affairs (MVD)[97][98]-
SingaporeSingapore Prison Service [99]Glock 19
Special Task Squadron (STS) of the Police Coast Guard [100]Glock 19
SpainGuardia Civil's UEI[101]Glock 17

SwedenSwedish Armed Forces[64][102][103]Glock 17 (designated Pistol 88), Glock 19 (designated Pistol 88B)
SwitzerlandPolice (Gendarmerie) Cantonal of Geneva[104]Glock 19
ThailandNational police (2,238 pistols)[63]Glock 19
United KingdomSpecialist Firearms Command of the London Metropolitan Police Service[105]Glock 17, Glock 26 [106][107]
Scottish Police Specialist Firearms Units[108]Glock 17
Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI)[109]Glock 17
United StatesDepartment of Treasury IRS Criminal Investigation Division[110]-
Drug Enforcement Administration[111]-
New York City Police Department[112]Glock 19
Baltimore City Police Department[113]Glock 22
Thousands of other law enforcement agencies at the federal, state and local levels[2]-

VenezuelaVenezuelan Armed Forces[63][64]Glock 17

OP asked about it's use in the military, not police.  Which makes that list a lot less impressive.  In fact some of the ones that are not crossed out are still police, just more Para military than typical police.

Thanks for that correction.  I guess some people fail reading comprehension and don't understand "military" and "standard issue".
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:55:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think that the lack of an external safety or a DA/SA setup like Sig or HK is the main reason for the lack of military use.

Or maybe because it's no better than a whole lot of pistols out there.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I dont think our military will ever accept the stub on a trigger as a safety...

If the military could do away with guns they would....for "safety".

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:57:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A good number of our "operators" use them.

Army special forces. I have seen them carrying glock 17s .

Maybe bought with unit funds or by stealing them from iraqis, but not as a general issue side arm.

Yep, a lot of people seem to have trouble comprehending "standard issue".

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My personal experience would say otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

Same for my RIA Tactical and my Norinco.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'.

I've been shooting in comps for years and the most reliable 1911s I've seen are ria's. They're the only one still made how jmb intended afaik.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GLOCK

GLOCK

Glock. The handgun of Choice of 7 out of 10 American lawmen CHIEFS. That is an undeniable fact.

Exactly. Once again he let retardation run his argument for him.

The reason so many are in use by law enforcement is because they had THE LOWEST BID.

Take from that what you will.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why is it that a military won't use a pistol without external safeties but police forces will?

Regular military, other than some Special Operations Unit and Marksmanship Training Units, their primary weapon are crew serve weapons or the rifle, and the pistol is a secondary weapon, therefore receive minimum or very little training.

They are paranoid with a holstered loaded pistol (a friend just came back from Iraq on convoy duty, and their SOP is loaded mag and empty chamber for their M9 even on operation), whereas walk / drive / conduct mission with loaded, cock and locked M4 and M249.

I have shot with the guy, and took me a while to convince him out of the fear of a loaded pistol in the holster.

As for police, their primary weapons are pistol, and their backup weapons are either the M4 or shotgun, as a result, they receive more training witht he pistol than long arms.

LE (unless those that been in the office for too long) always have a loaded pistol with one in the chamber, but the long arms normally have empty chamber.

True. Air Force is the only one that carries loaded chamber all the time...

Really? So what happens when they actually need their sidearm right then and there but have to chamber a round?
They could very well be fucked.

It is a stupid practice, but the military has a huge fear about letting the average guy carry Condition 1.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why is it that a military won't use a pistol without external safeties but police forces will?

Regular military, other than some Special Operations Unit and Marksmanship Training Units, their primary weapon are crew serve weapons or the rifle, and the pistol is a secondary weapon, therefore receive minimum or very little training.

They are paranoid with a holstered loaded pistol (a friend just came back from Iraq on convoy duty, and their SOP is loaded mag and empty chamber for their M9 even on operation), whereas walk / drive / conduct mission with loaded, cock and locked M4 and M249.

I have shot with the guy, and took me a while to convince him out of the fear of a loaded pistol in the holster.

As for police, their primary weapons are pistol, and their backup weapons are either the M4 or shotgun, as a result, they receive more training witht he pistol than long arms.

LE (unless those that been in the office for too long) always have a loaded pistol with one in the chamber, but the long arms normally have empty chamber.

True. Air Force is the only one that carries loaded chamber all the time...

Nope, we carry condition 1 M9 as well.

My guys in Kuwait had to carry condition 3. They were under Army, their house, their rules.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Keep in mind, nowadays most LEOs carry their guns, never practice with them, and treat them more like just another piece of equipment
Frankly, I don't care if that type of LEO carries a 1911, in my mind it's nothing to brag about.

actually LE probobly shoots more now than the did 10 years ago. many departments here have gone from yearsly or ni yeraly to monthly quals.

Not gunna lie- I'm glad to hear that
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

actually LE probobly shoots more now than the did 10 years ago. many departments here have gone from yearsly or ni yeraly to monthly quals.

Qual more does not equal shoot more, or become more proficient in realistic scenarios.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I wonder if he's proud to wear that uniform when he looks in the mirror every morning.

Different alphabet...

The Russian short-hand for homosexual probably isn't spelled HOMO.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different alphabet...

The Russian short-hand for homosexual probably isn't spelled HOMO.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've been shooting in comps for years and the most reliable 1911s I've seen are ria's. They're the only one still made how jmb intended afaik.

The only 1911 from a major manufacturer currently made the way JMB, Colt, and the Army (the 1911 was a collaborative effort, not just a JMB effort) all originally intended is the Colt M1911 reissue.

An original M1911 on top, and a new reissue on bottom:

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GLOCK

GLOCK

Glock. The handgun of Choice of 7 out of 10 American lawmen CHIEFS. That is an undeniable fact.

In my last Dept and the one I work for now, most of the officers CHOOSE the Glock over their issued Sigs. From beat officers to SWAT.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GLOCK

GLOCK

In my last Dept and the one I work for now, most of the officers CHOOSE the Glock over their issued Sigs. From beat officers to SWAT.

The city cops in my area don't get a choice. Sigs in .40 is it. Except swat. They can choose and chose glock 17s.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top