Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure.  Not all Christians have a faith contained in a book.

This.  I believe in Jesus, but know that the bible is a great deal of bullshit.

Whats the BS?

Most of it, but this aint the thread for it.

Just give us a teaser then. You KNOW thats a loaded answer to place in a thread like this.

Try genesis, where the earth was created in 7 days. Try the middle years of Jesus' life that were left out, yet there are tons of people that tell you you're wrong no matter what you believe happened during that time. Other things, like the flood, I believe in, scientific evidence exists today to back that up.  I also believe in the big bang theory. I happen to think that for everything to happen perfectly the way it did during the big bang to create what became, well, everything,  couldn't have happened without God's hand.   I'm just all kinds of contradictory ain't I
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure. Not all Christians have a faith contained in a book.

This. I believe in Jesus, but know that the bible is a great deal of bullshit.

Whats the BS?

Just give us a teaser then. You KNOW thats a loaded answer to place in a thread like this.
Genesis 1.  How did God create night and day BEFORE He created the Sun?

Well uhh he's God and umm he can do umm shit like that. Have some faith!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Try genesis, where the earth was created in 7 days. Try the middle years of Jesus' life that were left out, yet there are tons of people that tell you you're wrong no matter what you believe happened during that time. Other things, like the flood, I believe in, scientific evidence exists today to back that up.  I also believe in the big bang theory. I happen to think that for everything to happen perfectly the way it did during the big bang to create what became, well, everything,  couldn't have happened without God's hand.   I'm just all kinds of contradictory ain't I

There's evidence for the flood?  What?

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Christians who don't live in reality, .

OK. I gotta bite my uper lip so I don't post more than this about your reply.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought about that before.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, scientists have discovered layers in the earth in areas of the middle east that were likely created by a massive flood.  Not necessarily worldwide, but pretty damn bad.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you don't believe in Jesus.

The two are not the same.
This is coming from a Non-Believer.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, scientists have discovered layers in the earth in areas of the middle east that were likely created by a massive flood.  Not necessarily worldwide, but pretty damn bad.

I'll buy that.  Given Iraqi ecology there's probably some historical basis somewhere for what's recorded in the Bible as the Noah story; it's the folks that say Mount Everest was underwater after 40 days of rain that I wonder about.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me reiterate.

If you believe in Jesus AND his teachings and that he is the son of God then you also believe in the Bible.  Jesus said the Bible is God's word.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
40 means a lot. It's not a numeral count.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll buy that.  Given Iraqi ecology there's probably some historical basis somewhere for what's recorded in the Bible as the Noah story; it's the folks that say Mount Everest was underwater after 40 days of rain that I wonder about.

You worry about em, I wanna slap the ever loving piss out of em. I love asking bible thumpers things like "if God was so active back then, and all that stuff happened on a regular basis, why doesn't ANYTHING happen today except some tards in Rio drinking to much and seeing Mary in the shadow from the liquor store?"    

Denial of a higher power of some sort is equally disturbing to me, but I don't pick fights with people about that. To each his own as long as you respect my beliefs, I'll respect yours.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The earth is only 6,000 years old. The fossils were created and placed here by God. The fossils were not once living creatures.

Nice of you to stop by, enjoy the thread !  
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me reiterate.

If you believe in Jesus AND his teachings and that he is the son of God then you also believe in the Bible.  Jesus said the Bible is God's word.

How in the purple fuck did Jesus say the bible was God's word since the bible wasn't fucking done for damn near 4 centuries after he arose and ascended to heaven?  
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Christians who don't live in reality, .

OK. I gotta bite my uper lip so I don't post more than this about your reply.

Why? you're a Christian who doesn't live in reality?
If you aren't a Christian, you wouldn't understand, and if you're a non Christian, we wouldn't understand.
FWIW, I'm a Muslim Christian who thinks the koran is mostly BS.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me reiterate.

The bible is mans words set in text of what man thinks is Gods word.
I don't know why I'm fighting on this side that I don't have faith in. But I find myself doing this.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me reiterate.

How in the purple fuck did Jesus say the bible was God's word since the bible wasn't fucking done for damn near 4 centuries after he arose and ascended to heaven?  

You seem to forget that Christ was sent to save gentile and Hebrew alike. The Bible at that time would have been what existed of the Torah to that date.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me reiterate.

The bible is mans words set in text of what man thinks is Gods word.
I don't know why I'm fighting on this side that I don't have faith in. But I find myself doing this.

You're being intellectually honest after some time spend thinking about what you know. That's pretty rare around here.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#18]
saying you 'believe in Jesus' is wrong.  everyone should believe in Jesus because he was a real individual documented in history.  it's whether or not you believe he was the son of God
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
caves and caveman bones were put there by god to test our faith.

This is always the answer religious folks come to when they get proven wrong. And that is why you never argue with them. You know that saying... arguing with an idiot only brings you...

Quoted:
Not believing in the existence of "cavemen" (primitive hominids) is just like:

• Believing that the world is flat.

• Believing that the Earth does not orbit the Sun.

I think it is safe to say that most mainstream Christians have moved out of the dark ages when it comes to scientific understanding.  

Yes, it is quite hard to think that people don't believe in the following listed above.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You seem to forget that Christ was sent to save gentile and Hebrew alike. The Bible at that time would have been what existed of the Torah to that date.

Negative. I was speaking of the current bible and Sherrick knows that. Yet, according to Sherrick I can't believe in Jesus because I believe that book is part fiction.  But then you come along and state that it was a different bible.  I don't even know how to respond to that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#21]
100% FAIL

To ask something like this shows a total lack of any understanding of what Christians believe.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative. I was speaking of the current bible and Sherrick knows that. Yet, according to Sherrick I can't believe in Jesus because I believe that book is part fiction.  But then you come along and state that it was a different bible.  I don't even know how to respond to that.

The Bible is the word of God, Jesus said this. You either believe it or not.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
saying you 'believe in Jesus' is wrong.  everyone should believe in Jesus because he was a real individual documented in history.  it's whether or not you believe he was the son of God

I believe we're all the Children of God and that without him, we wouldn't exist.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Ppssshttt, everyone knows they were put here by God, err I mean the devil to test yer faith.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The earth is only 6,000 years old. The fossils were created and placed here by God. The fossils were not once living creatures.

Nice of you to stop by, enjoy the thread !  

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
100% FAIL

To ask something like this shows a total lack of any understanding of what Christians believe.

you're post is fail, why the fuck don't you enlighten my faithless ass?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

although this is meant (I think to be insulting) I believe in the premise
If I were God, I'd make it as hard as possible to believe in me so that only the deserving would see the Kingdom of Heaven.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure. Not all Christians have a faith contained in a book.

This. I believe in Jesus, but know that the bible is a great deal of bullshit.

Whats the BS?

Genesis 1.  How did God create night and day BEFORE He created the Sun?

What if His definition of light and dark are different than ours?

Perhaps more appropriately....

Gen 1:14-18

14And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

So, God created light, then he created the sun and moon to rule the periods of light and darkness, respectively, along with the stars.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

this, unless your like the iranians who dont believe in the holocaust.  

I dont believe the Bible is BS, i do believe a TON of stuff has been lost through translation.  Which is why few single verses can be taken at face value, you need the whole context of it.

lastly, to answer the ops ?  i believe people lived in caves, but they were just as human as we are.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes.

There are accounts of people living in caves in the Bible, after all...

+1
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bible is the word of God, Jesus said this.  You either believe it or not.

The Bible is a collection of texts put together at the council of Nicea over 300 years after Christ ascended to heaven.  The council was headed by Constantine, a Pagan at least a great deal of his life, and possibly at the time of the Nicean council.  Some related texts were left out (now know as apocrypha), others were changed. Since it's been translated countless times.  (all this is undeniable fact by the way)

My belief in Jesus Christ and his power, and the existance of God has precisely fuck all to do with the previous history lesson.  The assertation that I can't believe because I"m also a student of history is beyond absurd.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
what if cave men were the early stages of gods design of "humans"? I dont see why it is so sacriligeous to believe in dinosaurs and cavemen.

Not at all. I believe in both and I also believe every word of the Bible.

I do think that cavemen and dinosaurs were around as little as 6,000 years ago, and not the fake millions of years touted by evolutionists.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose then, that would mean every version is correct?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
what if cave men were the early stages of gods design of "humans"? I dont see why it is so sacriligeous to believe in dinosaurs and cavemen.

Not at all. I believe in both and I also believe every word of the Bible.

I do think that cavemen and dinosaurs were around as little as 6,000 years ago, and not the fake millions of years touted by evolutionists.

So humans were running around with T Rex and didn't get extinguished huh?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe we're all the Children of God and that without him, we wouldn't exist.

the important thing is that you believe jesus was his son and the savior... all this other stuff (cavemen, how the earth began, ect...) isnt important... maybe i should say as important...  Its like believing in jesus is having an ar... you might have the right accesories and pmags... maybe not.  But at the end of the day, you still have an ar.(by analogy, still a christian with a relationship with God)  thats the main thing.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#36]
IBTL
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont believe the Bible is BS, i do believe a TON of stuff has been lost through translation.  Which is why few single verses can be taken at face value, you need the whole context of it.

lastly, to answer the ops ?  i believe people lived in caves, but they were just as human as we are.

So no go on the Neaderthals?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

although this is meant (I think to be insulting) I believe in the premise
If I were God, I'd make it as hard as possible to believe in me so that only the deserving would see the Kingdom of Heaven.

whilst i dont belive this in particular... i do believe God made it impossible for us to know for sure how the earth was made cause that would defeat the purpose of all faith.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bible is a collection of texts put together at the council of Nicea over 300 years after Christ ascended to heaven.  The council was headed by Constantine, a Pagan at least a great deal of his life, and possibly at the time of the Nicean council.  Some related texts were left out (now know as apocrypha), others were changed. Since it's been translated countless times.  (all this is undeniable fact by the way)

My belief in Jesus Christ and his power, and the existance of God has precisely fuck all to do with the previous history lesson.  The assertation that I can't believe because I"m also a student of history is beyond absurd.

And if you think the Bible writings have no influence from God then you have no faith.

Yes there are different versions.  Some good, some bad.  But that is why each person must rely on their faith and prayer to find which is best for them.    I prefer the older versions myself and I also think there is value in the Gnostic writings.

One thing that non Christians misunderstand.  The Bible isn't like the Constitution, that is, set laws that one MUST follow.  The 10 Commandments are those.  The Bible is a series of writings that were influenced by God to help you in life and with your faith.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose then, that would mean every version is correct?

Of course not.  Those versions that were NOT influenced by God are not. (i.e New Inclusive Translation) Faith and prayer my friend.  Faith and prayer and you will find the correct one for you.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the important thing is that you believe[ jesus was his son and the savior... all this other stuff (cavemen, how the earth began, ect...) isnt important... maybe i should say as important...  Its like believing in jesus is having an ar... you might have the right accesories and pmags... maybe not.  But at the end of the day, you still have an ar.(by analogy, still a christian with a relationship with God)  thats the main thing.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Not all christians are vandals, and not all vandals are christians.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you think the Bible writings have no influence from God then you have no faith.

Yes there are different versions.  Some good, some bad.  But that is why each person must rely on their faith and prayer to find which is best for them.    I prefer the older versions myself and I also think there is value in the Gnostic writings.

One thing that non Christians misunderstand.  The Bible isn't like the Constitution, that is, set laws that one MUST follow.  The 10 Commandments are those.  The Bible is a series of writings that were influenced by God to help you in life and with your faith.

I'll grant you that they were inspired/influenced by God. But that was over 2000 years ago.  There were 400 years alone for them to be distorted, before possibly being distorted further when a non believer decided what should be included in the bible, then another almost 1700 years for the countless translations to be distorted again.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More or less - the Black Sea.  Think of the whole area as a big ol' prehistoric Death Valley of sorts––well below modern day sea level but not a desert.  Green and populous during an Ice Age––when the ice melts, sea levels rise and you get a massive catastrophic flood that wipes out such a large area that it may as well have been the entire world for those few that survived.

It could happen.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
100% FAIL

Because unlike most other believers I don't care.
It's not my job to take on every smart ass out there and save them.

If you have genuine questions I would answer them,but we both know thats not the case.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My freshman year I roomed with an ex-private school kid who was very intelligent, a student of the sciences and was a young Earth creationist.  I'm a non-believer, the first one he'd ever had much contact with.  We got along pretty well but whenever this subject came up we'd go at it.

When I made an argument similar to your point about how it's difficult to take the Bible as being the 100% literally true word of God because it's been translated and retranslated by many people through multiple languages over several millennia.  He countered by saying God would guide the translators to protect the meaning of the Word.

How could you counter that with something constructive?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My freshman year I roomed with an ex-private school kid who was very intelligent, a student of the sciences and was a young Earth creationist.  I'm a non-believer, the first one he'd ever had much contact with.  We got along pretty well but whenever this subject came up we'd go at it.

When I made an argument similar to your point about how it's difficult to take the Bible as being the 100% literally true word of God because it's been translated and retranslated by many people through multiple languages over several millennia.  He countered by saying God would guide the translators to protect the meaning of the Word.

I think blind faith of the literal word is pretty stupid. If one can look with a truly critical eye at all the facts, all the evidence, and come out on the ass end of that a believer, then that person's faith is strainger than the person that has put no conscience thought into it. Just my opinion. I can't stand blind believers.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you wouldn't want to take it to the level of trying to disprove the person's belief or to denigrate them in any way.  But wouldn't that mean that there is no freewill?  I personally wouldn't take the argument into the realm of the supernatural though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
100% FAIL

Because unlike most other believers I don't care.
It's not my job to take on every smart ass out there and save them.

If you have genuine questions I would answer them,but we both know thats not the case.

well your attention whoring initial post proves that you're doing what you do best - constantly remind people of your position
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think blind faith of the literal word is pretty stupid. If one can look with a truly critical eye at all the facts, all the evidence, and come out on the ass end of that a believer, then that person's faith is strainger than the person that has put no conscience thought into it. Just my opinion. I can't stand blind believers.

I agree that blindbelievers are stupid.  But that is why we have free will and prayer.  Both of those items are gifts from God, BTW.  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top