Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
HELL YES I DID...and the older I got..the worse I got...I had a great connection for a couple of years who could get me stuff they shot off at firework shows..aerial bombs,etc,etc.. plus New York City wasn't but 45 minutes away and all you had to do was go through the Holland tunnel into Chinatown...you name it, you could get it there. If it made noise I'd get it (none of that pussy sparkel stuff for me) If I could have gotten my hands on some C-4 I'd have blasted that stuff too...LOL..life was good long ago [:D]
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
sure did...then spent '71 - '93 as a Combat Engineer...was in on a 'live fire' of a pre-chamber charge in Germany that was the largest explosion in Europe since WWII...cool beans...have dropped 9 bridges (I only count 2 or more lanes/concrete and steel)..."Very few problems in life cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives"...
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The thread about playing war reminded me of all the experimenting I did with firecrackers when I was a kid.  My dad wouldn't let me have them so I always had to conduct my tests in secret.

I built a cannon out of a lenth of pipe that could shoot a lit smoke bomb 2-300'using a
1 1/2" Black Cat for propellant.

I made lots of fragmentation grenades with gravel, bb's etc.

Loved to blow up plastic models.  Especially Tanks and the like.

Used to give the local grasshopper population nightmares too.

What did you do with your firecrackers?
View Quote

Our stockings were filled with them at Christmas (in the 50's). Like any kid we made a lot of noise and tried blowing up everything. Cherry bomb depth charges, M-80 floaters, lady fingers to scare the girls, and good old black cats to just make a lot of noise. I don't want to hear anything about real cats!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Anybody play with Silver Salutes?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never outgrown it.

You really need to add a poll to this!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, and never really gave it up. When young, I was "Mr. Demolition Man" to ant hills and holes. We had some rats in the 'hood, so whenever we'd find one in a trashcan, it was off for the firecrackers! Another thing that tweaked my twisted youth was to catch crawdads, set them on the ground, and hand them a lit firecracker. And yes, meshuggah, we had Silver Salutes in Missouri in the 70's. And I'll have agree with evryone here that the fireworks available now are P**SY!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to fill spent CO2 cartriges with powder I pulled from a Brick of .22's I found.  Some cannon fuse and duct tape to hold it all together... They'd crack concrete, or dig a rather large divot in the ground.  Dangerous as hell, now that I think about it, but it sure was fun blowin stuff up!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
4Fg, ping pong balls and bondo.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
These stories are great! I never did get much loud stuff so I focused on smoke bombs. played "gas chamber" in the closed garage with a mask and "Mammoth" smokes or launched little round ones with my sling shot. Sometimes I would take a sledge to a few rolls of those red paper caps. Dulls the hearing for a while. My favorite firework at a show is the ones with only a little flash and a massive noise, a regular shock wave coming down like the main gun on a tank!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#10]
One of my childhood science books had a neat little experiment where you simulated a dust explosion on a very small scale, that lifted a loose fitting lid off a small container.

I don't remember the details, so don't try this at home.

Pretty educational, and impressive, too.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use to go to the local Army surplus store and
buy cast iron dummy pineapple hand grenades,
and fill them up with gunpowder from firecrackers, .....
View Quote

Thunderbolt, that stuff you took out of fireworks was not gunpowder, most people think it is. It is flashpowder, the primary ingredient is aluminum, thus the silver color.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a distinct memory of a correlation between 5th grade, firecrackers, the principal & a wooden paddle....

That's all of the confession you're getting from me though....

[:D]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top