Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
As for myself, I had to go through much much hardship to get to where I am today. I had to work my way through every step of the way and earn every penny for myself.  Got no help from family members or from my parents due to that they can't help themselves and were at much worse situation than I was.  I had to bail them out at the end.

I worked at odd jobs, you name it and that was just to pay rent and expenses. Forget college. I finally got a break to work at an Electronic Company who's benefit to include college tuition re-imbursement with books and all. Worked at $5.00 an hour and gone to school at night, it took me longer to graduate than going full time but I made it. From then on, with the experiences and the degree I had, I moved out to seek employment elsewhere. And from jumping from one Company to the next and with all the experiences learned on the way.....I made it to where I am today.

Sure I went through lay-off and unemployment as anyone too but jumped right back into the  work force.  The longest unemployment period for me was 2 months which I did collect unemployment compensation but that was barely enough to cover the rent and not much for anything else.

I am now married, a proud father of two boys, still employed, and a home owner.

I have no complaints and considered myself bless.

Edited to say:  Yes, I can say that I have made it may own way.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Been working since I was 16 (legally)
Graduated HS andwent to college, that didn't pan out after 2.5 years.

Enlisted in the USMC for four years and learned alot about life. Got married to JH/HS sweatheart and got out. I will graduate in May and will begin my Masters program after that.

Choosing to have the little lady stay home and watch the kids has slowed down our debt pay off plan but it is going. The payoff of seeing my two year old say the alphbet and be able to pick out the letters in her name is enough for me.

Currently in the USAFR (Quality of Life [:D]) (AND they buy your gear for you! [shock])

The plan is to teach online, work my IT job (current gig) and go to the sandbox from time to time.

When the kids get old enough the wif ewill probably teach again during normal school hours.

Life is good (even though we currently owe "The man")

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.

At age 16 my parents gave me permission to get a job as long as my grades didn't slip. Other friends didn't work at all. I learned the value of hard work and my time.

They gave me permission to buy a car from my own savings as long as it met with their safety approval. They let me park it outside when it was running and inside while I worked on it. They allowed me to be covered under their insurance as long as I paid the difference in rates. I paid for the gas of course. My friends were given new cars, insurance and gas money and never learned how to work on their own cars.

At age 18 they gave me permission to go to college as long as I paid the way. I learned that education was expensive and dear. Others were sent off to out-of-state schools where they partied their asses off and failed to learn anything.

At age 21 they gave me permission to hit the road and join the US Navy. I learned what service to this nation is while others were given interest in their family businesses and never served a minute of their time to their fellow man. These same people can't resist bad mouthing the military at every chance showing their jealously for the medals and respect earned in the service.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whoops, almost forgot...[BD]

Everything I possess, every good thing that I am, including, my very LIFE, is by the Grace of God, (My LOVING Father), and the Blood of His Son, Jesus Christ...[0:)]

[snoopy]
View Quote

This is the "Best" Post of the day,  well put Dunc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Tuition and housing for my BSME degree was paid for financially by my parents.  The blood, sweat, and tears were paid by yours truly.

Since I graduated, eveything, including finding my first engineering job, has been through my own efforts.

My wife's parents paid the tuition for an Associate's degree from the local community college.  After that, she took loans and worked her way through the second half of her Bachelor's degree.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
With the exception of one semester, my parents paid my way through college.  Tuition and board fees were on them, I paid for all books and entertainment.  During summers while at home I got free room and board, free use of the truck including insurance.  They provided one hell of a generous situation for me...and I am forever greatful.  My father was reluctant to send me to college as I was an uninspired student in high school, getting a measly 2.8/4.0 GPA.  I graduated with a double major in Economics and Agricultural Commodity studies and did fairly well....3.57/4.0.  The Ag. commodities degree was admittedly bullshit...I learned a few things but the Professors were a joke and I knew more about the markets than they did.  The econ., however, was challenging but I aced nearly everything...ruined many a grading scale.

When I was out of school and working, I paid $400/month for room and board provided I busted ass around the house as well.  Starting off in the Chicagoland area isnt easy...everything is as expensive as hell.  Moved away from home 1 1/2 years after graduating to Cincinnati.  Lived here for 10 yrs now.  Done quite well for myself in the meantime.

Not a struggle by any means...my parents made it easy for me...but if my grades in college were not up to snuff...they would have cut my tuition right off.

So now, in their retirement years, I spoil them every chance I get.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you were born with a silver d-ck in your mouth.[:D]  
View Quote

Sounds like you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
View Quote

Normy, that may be true on many levels but not here.  First, did you see the smiley face.  It was a joke.  I do not begrudge you for having help going to school and I feel blessed that I was not a burden on anyone but myself.

And if you think that all college is is tuition and a roof over your head, it's clear you have never been.
View Quote

Then I guess the BS and MS Diplomas with my name on them belong to someone else.

I got a bachelor's degree in architectural design.  Each semester I spent 12 hour days at school, and built at least two models that cost over $200 each, and went through untold other materials like paper, pens, and supplies for other models.  They don't just hand you a diploma in exchange for your check, despite what many on this board seem to think.  There's a weeding out process after the second year and if your work isn't up to snuff, no amount of money is going to allow you to carry on (trust me on this, I saw kid's try to file lawsuits over it).
View Quote

Wow Normy, try to do all of that plus work a full time job to pay for all of the things you describe.

So yes, I was damn lucky to have parents that actually cared enough about my brother and I to "short us" on the things we wanted as kids, and instead invest that money in something worthwhile.
View Quote

Yes you should be grateful.  Some of us were just happy to get  hot food and a place to sleep.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#9]
EdAvilaSr... VERY VERY well put, Nicely done. All you spoiled college boys should ponder this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whoops, almost forgot...[BD]

Everything I possess, every good thing that I am, including, my very LIFE, is by the Grace of God, (My LOVING Father), and the Blood of His Son, Jesus Christ...[0:)]

[snoopy]
View Quote

Yes!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah when I was 18 i got my first trust fund (100,000$) lived off the interest of that. then got a cool job where me and my friends were able to skim money off the top till we got caught and fired. then my rich aunt died in '98 and got about (75,000$) from that again lived off the interest and invested in tech stocks in late 90's literally doubled my money $$$$ oh yeah! but Knew it was all "tulip mania" so I got out before the crash of 2000. since then have been sitting with it getting like .1% interest (CRAP!) but once I turn 35 I get another Trust fund from my other rich Aunt (89,000$) the thing I can't stand is the TAXES!! I worked hard for my inhertance! But I'm glad you poor country folks vote republican! so I can keep most of my cashola! So I thank all of you [s]suckers[/s] I mean voters to help keep the Gov't out of my pocket.

P.S. - This story is actually true I'm not trying to flame or anything. But I was born into a rather well to do family. As you can see by the numbers I'm not exactly a millionaire but I figure who gives a crap If I live off my inheritance.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]
i remember as a kid walking with my dad to the store because we didn't have a car.using the neighbors' phone because we didn't have one.foodstamps.reduced price lunch tickets even as i was in highschool. i'm ashamed to admit that as a kid,i helped my dad steal two 5 gal containers of diesel fuel to heat the house with during the winter. my grandparents had very little, but lent my parents money to pay bills that they knew they would never see repayed. those are some of my memories.
my dad put in a good word to help me land a job sacking groceries at 15. i had to use my own earnings to buy my first shitbox, ah, er, car that is. no college unless i got a scholarship, so that was out.
what my dad did,though, was instill a work ethic. i saw that though we had little, we wouldn't have had even that without working and sacrifice.
at 19 was half humiliated to actually work doing various things at the town transfer station.people i knew saw me working at "the dump".my dad got me that job also, but i did it because i got income from it.
i didn't leave the trash field for the next 17 years. i learned and got licensed to operate bucket loaders, learned and got licensed to drive tractor trailers, learned to operate and got licensed for stationary engineering (burning trash in high pressure boilers for steam turbines), got licensed to be an industrial waste water treatment plant operator.
working in common garbage put my foot in the door to have an OPORTUNITY to learn a trade.
this year i made the most ever, $85k. i did this working in a powerhouse for a biopharmacuitical company( the other end of the spectrum from trash).
in the northeast, 85 grand is good pay, but still only in the regular-man range. i pay my bills, but largely live check to check.
i'm getting the debt paid down, working on the house, and i blow cash on guns and ammo for my reward.
my wife had a child before we met but can't have any more.i want to do for him as my dad did for me. i want to help him to learn to be self sufficient and i can help even further by someday actually having things to pass on to him so that his journey is better than mine.
long after i'm gone, i'm hoping he continues that with his kids.
i wonder if he even thinks about having a family. he's only 20, there's plenty of time.
so.....after all that, i guess i'm self made.
i'm glad i wasn't raised with a silver spoon in my mouth.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Child of the 50's, essentially raised by a single woman, because dad was an alcoholic who disapeared for years at a time, and only returned to (again) run up our debt and disappear again.
I started working 28 hours/week at age 14 (delivering milk.) 40 hrs + since age 19 (dumb, became a dad at 20,) I supported my young family and managed to put myself through college at the same time. (Full time work, full time school.)
I  don't really recommend this as a great method towards becoming a good/productive person, but I do believe that people should contribute to their own  needs to a greater extent than what I commonly see today.
I suspect that this regimen has broken many, and that there are more casualties than sucesses.
It's interesting that the great majority of us that have replied have similar stories.
I suspect that many of us do so mainly to identify ourselves to each other, and perhaps to gain some recognition from others like us.
I don't believe that those who haven't experienced this lifestyle can fully appreciate what it means.
Folk's let me say it, "You done good!"
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Let's see... drank my college scholarship away in 1987 after only 3 quarters.  Now, 16 years later, I'm a senior working toward my BS/BA.  Along the way I've have 4 jobs, gotten married, had 2 great kids, and gotten some nice toys.  My wife and I get no handouts, but my parents would if I asked, I think.  But that just ain't me.  I have to repay my debts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive never been jealous of a man with worldly things that didnt have a good heart. Too often it seems men get more respect for their assets rather than their heart.

Most of the men I envy are humble and generous.

I think this fits the topic because its all about competition...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ive never been jealous of a man with worldly things that didnt have a good heart. Too often it seems men get more respect for their assets rather than their heart.

Most of the men I envy are humble and generous.

I think this fits the topic because its all about competition...
View Quote

Good point.  Greed is a sure path to unhappieness.

Similar to many, I am still searching for what will make my life worth living.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]
mostly on my own. My parents paid my way through paramedic training. Got into pc's as a hobby in the army.

My computer stint  with IBM has been great so far. Excellent pay and though i bitch a bit about the hours it's the best ride in town.

mike
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top