Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#1]
He sucks as bad as greatful dead .
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
"...and You'll be My Duchess, My Duchess of Prunes..."

I'm not a big Fan, but He had His moments.

His biggest accomplishment was being the  most under-rated guitar Player in History.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Zappa definitely did not suck.  He was a very talented musician, but his music was so far from the mainstream that the common reaction to it is "I don't like it, so it sucks."

Does Steve Vai suck?  Assuming that you know the correct answer, ask yourself whether he would happily play for Zappa if Zappa sucked.  I think that those who are not quite sure whether or not Zappa sucked can safely rely on Vai's opinion here.

I don't like anything either one of 'em did.  Does that mean they suck?  I think so.  I will respond to either on my radio with a loud, "turn that shit off before we need a new radio!"  Does that mean that neither have talent?  Not necessarily, it just means they don't have the talent of making music I like.

Fuck your "correct answer" bullshit.  Your opinion on the matter doesn't make for fact anymore than mine does.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I like him, but a little goes a long way.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]
He had a lot of Shock Value to his music (before it was popular to do so) by adding obsenities, talking about sex ... etc... , but he certainly was no genious.
Mediocre at best
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Like an F5 Tornando.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#7]
He was a genuis. I belive he used to write the sheet music for all the instruments, for his music, before recording the songs...I meet and talked to him for a while years ago in a nightclub in NYC, real nice guy....
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Frank, I dig. Vai is not only a tool, he's gay. He's Prince. I thought I got lucky and found one of his shows on the music channel. If he had some metal songs, some pop, some whatever, but everything is the same screechy, stretchy nonsense. He can't write lyrics. It's interesting to see him perform and actually accomplish some of the crazy things he writes but, the music? I guess those are just the types of complaints you are having about Zappa though. Vai? I'm a guitar fan and I don't like him or Satriani either.

If I had to pick an Italian it would be John Petrucci or even Marco Sfogli. John is technically brilliant, a guitar scientist, master of technique, and maybe he'd have more edge if he wasn't such a genuinely nice guy. Marco backs up the lead singer of John's band Dream Theater on his solo work but does his own stuff too. He has a tasty style, a real flash of genius if you ask me.

This clip of Marco playing Still Hurts at a convention, gives me goosebumps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNvtOx1612M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#9]
He is an acquired taste. I like him but have to be in the mood.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#10]
He was a brilliant musician.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He sucks as bad as greatful dead .

It's "grateful"  and while I'm not a fan..they certainly had their moments.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I want a horny little Jewish princess...
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Whenever I listen to Zappa, my brain is full of fuck:

But I can see why people enjoy his music.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#14]
yes
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zappa definitely did not suck.  He was a very talented musician, but his music was so far from the mainstream that the common reaction to it is "I don't like it, so it sucks."

Does Steve Vai suck?  Assuming that you know the correct answer, ask yourself whether he would happily play for Zappa if Zappa sucked.  I think that those who are not quite sure whether or not Zappa sucked can safely rely on Vai's opinion here.

I don't like anything either one of 'em did.  Does that mean they suck?  I think so.  I will respond to either on my radio with a loud, "turn that shit off before we need a new radio!"  Does that mean that neither have talent?  Not necessarily, it just means they don't have the talent of making music I like.

Fuck your "correct answer" bullshit.  Your opinion on the matter doesn't make for fact anymore than mine does.
lol, don't get mad at me, it's not my fault that your taste in music sucks.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]
FUCKIN genius!!!!
I love Zappa
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]
FZ was a great composer and a damned good guitar player.

In 100 years, when they talk about popular music in the second half of the 20th century, FZ will be one of the few worth mentioning.

ETA:

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I was more into Metal when he was in his prime but I've gotten a chance to see Zappa Plays Zappa and it was a great show. Dweezel seemed genuinely touched by the audience reaction.

Steve Vai is on another plane of guitar playing existence from the rest of us. I can only take a song or two though before I turn it off. I'm a lot more into Andy Timmons these days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Zappa put together some of the best and tightest bands ever.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#20]
FZ is great.  Overnite Sensation is my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]

At one time I owned every volume of "You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore".
I think that makes me a fan.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Some people... some people just don't get it and never will.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

He was a brilliant composer and masterful musician who did not pander one iota to popular sentiment.

this about sums it up. an acquired taste.....talented. no doubt.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Frank Zappa fought man bear pigs spouse for your liberty
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Zappa put together some of the best and tightest bands ever.

He booted Lowell George from the Mothers of Invention due to drug use and George was one of the best slide guitarists ever.

And no, Frank Zappa did not suck.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#28]
On your knees, you big booty bitch
Start Suckin

Zappa was the MAN
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

On your knees, you big booty bitch

Start Suckin
Zappa was the MAN

That was Ween.

Zappa was "She was buns up knealin',  I was wealin' and dealin', then she started squeelin'"

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes he did.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone that doesn't like Zappa hasn't heard enough Zappa.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zappa isn't for everyone.

Pretty much a love or hate divide.

Personally, I enjoy Zappa. The wife questions my sanity on this matter.

Perfect reply. +1

Same here.  Just talked about this 2 days ago...
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Peaches en Regalia is one of my favorite instrumentals of all time.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
He was one of the people that began "happening" about the same time as the Haight Ashbury stuff in San Francisco.  I never liked his stuff that much, but I didn't dislike the guy.  He is like so many people from that time; many are just a bit odd. I always thought he was a little more full of himself than I thought he was entitled to be.  People who exhibit a  "Lookit me!  Lookit me!"  sort of attitude never did much to impress me favorably.  But on the plus side, I don't remember him ever hurting anyone...just weird.

This is pretty much where I am at.

He's a talented musician in the sense that he could probably have played most anything out there.

But his eccentrism always struck me more like it was intentionally calculated and planned.  Rather than go out there and compete for listeners in a more mainstream format, he chose to ignore the conventions and do something off the wall.  It always struck me a bit like non-comformists in high school.  They go out of their way to show you how non-conforming they were, and formed their own little clique of non-comformists. It's not that they were different.  They just wanted to be different, so they manufactured a way of making themselves special.  Nothing more than manufactured elitism which is exactly the thing they purported to resent.

If you have to think about and plan how to be different, then you probably aren't.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I think some people don't realize how smart Frank was to not play the record label's game.

He may not have sold the most records, but he sold a shit ton of concert tickets and he maintained ownership of all his master tapes.  He made more money than a lot of other people that sold a lot more records than he did.  He figured out the game and was smart enough to not get caught in the trap.

His lack of commercial success was a success all its own.  He didn't get the distribution that an Atlantic or RCA record deal would have got him, but he didn't have to change his music to suit the record label either.  How many great musicians from the 60s and 70s ended up more or less broke because they didn't own the rights to their own material?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was one of the people that began "happening" about the same time as the Haight Ashbury stuff in San Francisco.  I never liked his stuff that much, but I didn't dislike the guy.  He is like so many people from that time; many are just a bit odd. I always thought he was a little more full of himself than I thought he was entitled to be.  People who exhibit a  "Lookit me!  Lookit me!"  sort of attitude never did much to impress me favorably.  But on the plus side, I don't remember him ever hurting anyone...just weird.

He's a talented musician in the sense that he could probably have played most anything out there.

But his eccentrism always struck me more like it was intentionally calculated and planned.  Rather than go out there and compete for listeners in a more mainstream format, he chose to ignore the conventions and do something off the wall.  It always struck me a bit like non-comformists in high school.  They go out of their way to show you how non-conforming they were, and formed their own little clique of non-comformists. It's not that they were different.  They just wanted to be different, so they manufactured a way of making themselves special.  Nothing more than manufactured elitism which is exactly the thing they purported to resent.

If you have to think about and plan how to be different, then you probably aren't.

That's the most twisted thinking I have ever read concerning genius, musical or otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, don't get mad at me, it's not my fault that your taste in music sucks.

Yes it is.  You'll hear from my lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#41]
He was largely a musician's musician, but I turned many of my non- musician friends on to him. Some get him, but many don't. He was a master musician and a genius composer. Most people are only familiar with his tongue in check campy stuff, but most of his work is still studied and highly regarded at the finest of music schools and universities.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think a lot of people get it, they just aren't impressed and so are left wondering where the genius was in it.

Just because someone doesn't laugh at a dick and fart joke doesn't mean they didn't get it.  It means they didn't find it funny.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Heard him.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think a lot of people get it, they just aren't impressed and so are left wondering where the genius was in it.

Just because someone doesn't laugh at a dick and fart joke doesn't mean they didn't get it.  It means they didn't find it funny.

I'm thinking you may have missed the joke here.......grasping a fully charged icing anointment utensil...he poots forth a 1/4 ounce green rosette near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin of his own design.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the most twisted thinking I have ever read concerning genius, musical or otherwise.

You deny that there's self-gratification involved in being known as a rebel, a loner, your "own man"?

It's like the "straight shooter" we all know.  Boy, he sure tells it like it is.  Unless he describes himself as a straight shooter.  When he's that self-aware of his reputation as a straight shooter, there's a fair chance that he's playing a role for the kudos that follow.  Similarly, the guy who decides to be "the bigger man" about something doesn't tell everyone that he's going to be "the bigger man" about it. But how often do we hear someone say "Well, I'm going to be the bigger man about it and...".

So why is it so hard to imagine that someone who doesn't have what it takes to communicate with many people decides to cast what they do as genius which couldn't be expected to be understood by the masses.  That's where the "you just don't get it" comes from.  Rather than acknowledge that failure to communicate as your own weakness, you cast it as a weakness of the audience.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Zappa was nearly a genius. He pushed musicians that worked with him to be better than they ever could've become otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Zappa, didn't he take shit on stage?

Seems like he would have been the type.  

I like the music.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Zappa Rules.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#49]
The haters ate the yellow snow.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking you may have missed the joke here.......grasping a fully charged icing anointment utensil...he poots forth a 1/4 ounce green rosette near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin of his own design.

Again, I say I got it, I just didn't think it funny or clever.

And you'll say I didn't get it because I'm not laughing.

And then I'll repeat that I'm not laughing because it wasn't funny.

And so on and so on....

So in the end, what does "I get it" mean?  Does it mean I have to be laughing and recognize it as genius, or can I get it and not think it's genius?

Beck used to claim that every one of his lyrics actually meant something. He may still do.  I always doubted him.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top