BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

if you don't want to shoot ....then pee in a bucket and pour it around the area you don't want deer, dogs, cats, etc.

Human piss will drive away pretty much anything.  Mark your territory dude..
View Quote

Human urine doesn't work.

Deer get curious, not scared
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Blood meal in panty hose hanging from all around your garden. It gives off an unpleasant odor to deer that smells like death (it is literally ground up bones, marrow and blood).
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And killing them is not an option. I live in town, yes it's a small one but it's still town. There's a small group of deer that come and eat everyone's stuff at night.

What's good for making them fuck off?
View Quote

Soylent Green
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I had this problem too.  My solution was to buy some deer fence from Amazon.  I put it up.  The first  night something knocked over one of my fence posts.  I replaced it, and so far no deer and no rabbits.  

This stuff is real light, and I don't think they can see it or see how tall it is.  They just know it's there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
quit planting deer food
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I vote this method.

Imagine the look on your wife's face when she goes to pull into the garage later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leave your garage open, when they wander in, close the door and 300 BLK subsonic.

I vote this method.

Imagine the look on your wife's face when she goes to pull into the garage later.

Yeah, having someone point a suppressed rifle at you in your garage would probably make anyone have the face...  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

if you don't want to shoot ....then pee in a bucket and pour it around the area you don't want deer, dogs, cats, etc.

View Quote
Hell I piss on buck scrapes during season. They will tear that shit up

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deer around here will eat piss for the salt.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bury yourself in the garden laying on your back.
Put a nice head of lettuce on your chest.
Make sure the knife you use is real sharp.
When youre done, start a thread asking for venison recipes.

View Quote

I really like this idea

Didn't know about the blood meal stuff. There's a couple processors in town I will check with instead.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Key ingredient: Putrescent egg solids. Apply while you are standing up wind, especially if you have a weak stomach.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod32/dw/image/v2/AABF_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-GSC_Products/default/dw2975484c/Products/33405_007V.jpg?sw=840&sh=1120&sm=fit
View Quote

This stuff works well
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Open garage door.   Bate a snare trap inside garage.   Close door once deer is trapped.

Solve for answer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#12]
cross bow.

or tabasco sauce on the plants...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

that's actually been debunked - some deer will even come around and check it out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Supressed .22
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#15]
My grandfather swore by Irish Spring soap.  He would hang bars of it around the perimeter fence of his garden and was certain it kept deer at bay.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not sure about the blood thing.

Last year I was deer hunting and bored. A squirrel was annoying me so I killed it. (Small game coincides with deer season).
About 20 minutes later a spike came up and started licking the blood off squirrel, I watched for a few minutes then put an arrow in him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#17]
We have a couple that started eating leaves a couple years back,  stripping our young apple trees bare.

I started using an old Crosman pump BB gun to shoot them in the hind quarters with pellets. Just 1 or 2 pumps,  about 50yd shot. It shouldn't penetrate the skin (deer hides are tough shit)  but you can hear it go whap,  and they take off in a hurry.

The number of returning deer has dropped sharply since this experiment began.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not sure about the blood thing.

Last year I was deer hunting and bored. A squirrel was annoying me so I killed it. (Small game coincides with deer season).
About 20 minutes later a spike came up and started licking the blood off squirrel, I watched for a few minutes then put an arrow in him.
View Quote

Blood is salty and deer love salt.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Marigolds. They hate em
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#20]
The deer roam through the neighborhood around where I work every night.  Nice $200k+ homes and the only people with gardens have 6' fences around them to keep the deer out!  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Plant some marigolds, chives or Lamb's Ear in and around them....................deer hate those plants
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#23]

I would try this or if you could find some, mountain lion urine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pee on the plants to establish dominance.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Fox urine granules. Works for the damn groundhogs we have on the property.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Sevin Dust. Wet the garden and then apply the powder all over the leaves. The deer hate the taste and the sevin dust keeps away the bugs. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Re-apply when you dont see a white film on the leaves.

http://www.gardentech.com/All-Products/sevin-ready-to-use-dust/overview/
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Coyote decoy?
View Quote

fixed it
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works here.....got a herd of 18 deer that travel thru my yard to there nesting place in a low spot on  the corner of my property. They avoid my roses like the plaque.
Before they would strip them down to the stems.

It works.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Works here.....got a herd of 18 deer that travel thru my yard to there nesting place in a low spot on  the corner of my property. They avoid my roses like the plaque.

It works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works.

You mustnot hunt, human piss won't repel them
I can pee out the door of my deer stand and it never bothered them, maybe you should see a dr.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Blood meal in panty hose hanging from all around your garden. It gives off an unpleasant odor to deer that smells like death (it is literally ground up bones, marrow and blood).
View Quote

They don't care about "the smell of death"  either. We used to gut in the field, I would shoot plenty of deer right next to to gut pile of the one I shot that morning.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I've tried hair, soap, piss, foil, pie plates, hot sauce, commercial deer repellent, old cologne, bone meal, you name it.  NONE work worth a damn.

I was just about to call it quits and load the .308 when I discovered a recommendation from a midwest state dept Natural Resources....  I've done this for the past decade and it works very very well....

Run a single strand of wire about 30 inches off ground, and hook it up to a fence charger.  Ensure the charger ground is really good.  The hot wire itself will not work.  When deer hit the wire, they tend to jump forward, and so you train them to jump into the garden.  Not good.  We need some way to ensure Bambi gets the voltage in the face, so they back up and run.  So, take some small pieces of foil (or I used 6inch x 6 inch galv sheet steel).  Bend to form a small tent shape.  Drape over wire, and stick small piece of duct tape underneath. Place one of these every ten feet or so. Then wipe a big goober of peanut butter on underside of the foil/metal.

Bambi comes in to investigate, smells the luscious peanut butter, reaches out to give it a lick, and either gets the voltage on the nose or licks a mouth full of voltage.  It backs em up REAL good.  In a decade I have had exactly ZERO deer issues in the garden, and I frequently have 5-6 in the back yard, munching grass, but NOT in the garden.

Take care:  If you are too lazy to turn the fence off, or walk around to the gate, and attempt to step over a 30" high hot wire, your dangly bits may brush the wire through your athletic shorts and you too will get to ride the lightning.  Mrs. Frozenny says I make funny sounds when this happens to me....

fro
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And killing them is not an option. I live in town, yes it's a small one but it's still town. There's a small group of deer that come and eat everyone's stuff at night.

View Quote

Supressed subsonic 300BO or 9mm
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may want to consider some dietary adjustments
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I can pee out the door of my deer stand and it never bothered them, maybe you should see a dr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works.

You must eat a lot of  corn so they think you're one of them.   Works here just fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I've heard many of the myths. The only tried and true approach is to use a fence. It may not be an option. Second best (it's always worked for me and for many and is food-safe) is a liquid organic deer repellent, such as Liquid Fence or Bobbex. I use Bobbex and it has worked flawlessly. I have deer EVERYWHERE and I can't shoot them non-stop, so I need a repellent.

I have heard and read many good things about Milorganite, which is a fertilizer that just happens to be an excellent deer repellent. It's considered off-label use, and I've never tried it, but tons of people swear by it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Electric fence.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Suppressed 22 head shots.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My grandfather swore by Irish Spring soap.  He would hang bars of it around the perimeter fence of his garden and was certain it kept deer at bay.
View Quote

Mine too, except we would shave pieces off onto the ground around the perimeter. It seems to work as long as the soap is fresh, after a few days the effect wears off.  This gets expensive after awhile.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Watch your dag...

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Electric fence, about 9' high, works here....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

City Limits be damned. I would have unloaded on that Deer
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Find a way to hang CDs that will swing and reflect light. Supposedly it looks like predators eyes flashing.  I had a lot of deer in my yard one year and had no problems. I also had a lot of plum trees that kept them away from the garden, so there is that.  

I heard it works though. Not a lot of work if you have old CDs around.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I've used a fertilizer called milorganite with good success to keep deer and rabbits out of my garden and dove fields. It's not marketed as a deer repellent but a lot of people use it as such.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#44]
If you try Milorganite you should reapply it every couple weeks and after a hard rain.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There really is no good option, can't choot 'em in city limits. So I need to come up with a way to convince them to go elsewhere.  
View Quote

A 6 foot tall fence and netting over the top of the garden will stop them.  I saw on guy near us a few years ago who had an 8 foot fence around his garden with 1/4" grid fencing over the top who had a buck standing on top of the fence wondering why he couldn't get to the garden after jumping the fence around it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've tried hair, soap, piss, foil, pie plates, hot sauce, commercial deer repellent, old cologne, bone meal, you name it.  NONE work worth a damn.

I was just about to call it quits and load the .308 when I discovered a recommendation from a midwest state dept Natural Resources....  I've done this for the past decade and it works very very well....

Run a single strand of wire about 30 inches off ground, and hook it up to a fence charger.  Ensure the charger ground is really good.  The hot wire itself will not work.  When deer hit the wire, they tend to jump forward, and so you train them to jump into the garden.  Not good.  We need some way to ensure Bambi gets the voltage in the face, so they back up and run.  So, take some small pieces of foil (or I used 6inch x 6 inch galv sheet steel).  Bend to form a small tent shape.  Drape over wire, and stick small piece of duct tape underneath. Place one of these every ten feet or so. Then wipe a big goober of peanut butter on underside of the foil/metal.

Bambi comes in to investigate, smells the luscious peanut butter, reaches out to give it a lick, and either gets the voltage on the nose or licks a mouth full of voltage.  It backs em up REAL good.  In a decade I have had exactly ZERO deer issues in the garden, and I frequently have 5-6 in the back yard, munching grass, but NOT in the garden.

Take care:  If you are too lazy to turn the fence off, or walk around to the gate, and attempt to step over a 30" high hot wire, your dangly bits may brush the wire through your athletic shorts and you too will get to ride the lightning.  Mrs. Frozenny says I make funny sounds when this happens to me....

fro  
View Quote

Watching a deer that has just been bit by the lightning is like watching a wild horse that someone is trying to ride.  I watched one buck jump and kick for almost a minute after getting bit by a neighbor's fence.  It was funny as hell to watch that deer move that way.  But he never went back to that garden again, either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nuisance Animal Exceptions

See if your state has them.  Mine does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nuisance Animal Exceptions

See if your state has them.  Mine does.

I read that as NUISANCE ANAL EXPOSURES.

I'm no deer fucker
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Wrist rocket...only takes a couple of hard beans to the head and they fuck off to easier picks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top