Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]
My bro in law is like that.  Nice guy but he couldn't figure out how to hang blinds so my father in law had to drive there and do it.  The last straw was when he said he wasn't good at hanging pictures so the father in law did it.  Won't hang out with the guys.  Spends an hour grooming himself and won't leave my sister in laws side.  Sad really
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those cheap rotors are absolute shit. Your better off turning the factory ones if you can. Been a while since I've done it, but $15 each rings a bell.

You don't even need to turn them with every pad change. If you don't have a vibration problem, and they don't have a significant groozes, all you need to do are pads.

Once a few years ago, I had a lip on the outside edge of my rotors from where the brake pad wasn't touching. The wear area was in good condition. I took an angle grinder and flap wheel to the edge. Seriously getto shadetree, but those brakes worked fine for several years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For most vehicles, rotor costs are pretty minimal. What does it cost to get rotors turned?
Can't imagine it's cheaper than just buying new ones these days.
Those cheap rotors are absolute shit. Your better off turning the factory ones if you can. Been a while since I've done it, but $15 each rings a bell.

You don't even need to turn them with every pad change. If you don't have a vibration problem, and they don't have a significant groozes, all you need to do are pads.

Once a few years ago, I had a lip on the outside edge of my rotors from where the brake pad wasn't touching. The wear area was in good condition. I took an angle grinder and flap wheel to the edge. Seriously getto shadetree, but those brakes worked fine for several years.
This. 87% of the time, there's no need to turn rotors.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, my non-existent 8 mechanics were unavailable...I'm poooooor.

I'm just  glad I was able to do the job at hand and I'm glad she learned something.

Fucking GD and the poor bullshit sounds like youns rich mothers pay someone to wipe your ass every morning and get a tug at the same time.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
He yelled at you or your daughter, and said you weren't qualified?

Dude's a fucking dick. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some people just don't know, I guess.  But maybe taken it up as a learning session with the fiance, make him buy you some beers afterwards, and tell him the next brake job is on hIm
View Quote
I like that suggestion, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Pads are the 2nd easiest thing to fix on a car.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm just  glad I was able to do the job at hand and I'm glad she learned something.

Fucking GD and the poor bullshit sounds like youns rich mothers pay someone to wipe your ass every morning and get a tug at the same time.

View Quote
I don't know if I qualify as poor or not, but I'm sure as hell not rich enough to drop $2,500 on work that I can do myself. So yeah, I spent a weekend wrenching on the wife's car. Finishing it up tomorrow. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I changed pads once, it wasn't a big deal. I haven't change my own oil in about 10 years. I don't like doing maintenance on cars. I would rather train bird dogs, hunt deer and hogs.  I can shoot game and prepare a meal within 30 minutes and make my own sausage and smoked jerky. I also reload ammo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#9]
So you bought cheap ass pads at auto zone and put them on your daughters car?  Was in a German or Japanese vehicle?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#10]
When he said you were "unqualified" did he mean that because you aren't a "real" mechanic you can't do it?

I ask because I've heard someone drop that exact line before, and it's baffling.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hmmm, I did a fluid exchange with the wife tonight... Probably not the same thing somehow.
View Quote
I see what you did there...

Well, I mean, I didn't "see" you doing it... but, umm... you know what I meant!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:38:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So you bought cheap ass pads at auto zone and put them on your daughters car?  Was in a German or Japanese vehicle?
View Quote
Korean but the pads were hecho...again with the poooor.

I know, UTG shemagh guy 'your (her) funeral'.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
While I don't cheap out on pads since I don't like cleaning brake dust off my wheels, have you heard of anyone dying from using Autozone pads?  Me neither.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If the dudes a piece of shit, he's a piece of shit, regardless of military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clueless or not. I really like the guy but...Shit, c'mon, he knows that I've got the tools. It was the yelling, the 'unqualified' and blah blah that made me tell her to start looking.

She needs to move on and I've got her back.

Sucks because he's suffered for our country but that just isn't right.

Not the not knowing, just the insolence and the yelling...fuck, it's just a brake job.
If the dudes a piece of shit, he's a piece of shit, regardless of military.
Plenty of turds in the military 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to do my own car maintenance and repairs when I was too poor to pay someone else to do it. Now thankfully my time is too valuable to waste on that kind of thing. (But I do know how to do it. I even changed my own CV joint once upon a time.)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When he said you were "unqualified" did he mean that because you aren't a "real" mechanic you can't do it?

I ask because I've heard someone drop that exact line before, and it's baffling.
View Quote
I have heard that several times. 

There are people out there walking around thinking that you have to be an ASC Certified Master Mechanic to change oil or something.  One guy sincerely told me that I should not be talking about changing the brakes on my truck myself... like I was talking about being a terrorist or something.  He explained that because the brakes are part of the "safety system" of a vehicle, that it was a felony to work on it unless I was certified.  I simply asked him why the hell that O'Reilley's sells the damn things to folks if that were true. 

Of course, he did not have an answer for that.

Damn people with their heads up their asses.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a faggot
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is an entire generation of males who can't do a damn thing unless it involves the use of an app. Was at my moms this weekend replacing the pads and rotors on her step daughters car. Her husband has parkenson, so he can't do it but he still tries to help.  The other two males there, his son in law and grandson, poster children beta males. Only time they got their faces out of their phones was to eat. My 12 year old son watched me do one side and then he did the other. Every time I'm under the hood of a car, he's with me. Even my son and daughter noticed they were betas and were sickened by it. I told him that's why I had you hold the flashlight for all those years.
View Quote
This is so true, it's pathetic. I work part time at Oreillys for extra money and parts discounts.  The majority of our customers can't do shit to their own cars.  It takes the girl working their to install a man's battery. SMH
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not exactly sure about this. It sounded like bullshit because had his dad offered it would have been gravy...His dad is pretty good at drinking and, from what I understand, yelling at his wife.

Starting to sound like my kid needs to go to eject school.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was unqualified.

I sent her to the 'Zone to get the parts and I did them after I go home from work.

Car is fine Starry Bra and now she can change the brake pads herself.

View Quote

You probably said something important but i'm completely distracted by the avatar.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There are people out there walking around thinking that you have to be an ASC Certified Master Mechanic to change oil or something.  One guy sincerely told me that I should not be talking about changing the brakes on my truck myself... like I was talking about being a terrorist or something.  He explained that because the brakes are part of the "safety system" of a vehicle, that it was a felony to work on it unless I was certified.  I simply asked him why the hell that O'Reilley's sells the damn things to folks if that were true. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if it's the dealers or the manufacturers that are most at fault for perpetuating this bull shit.
Maybe it's just a simple lack of understanding anything mechanical by people raised to believe that turning a wrench was a dark art.

I tend to point to the dealers. I had one quote me $650 to fix a misfire (which turned out to be a bad ignition coil). $100 on Amazon got me four Bosch OEM coils
and it was 5 minutes to replace them all.
Dealers want to keep the public believing that their "ASE Factory certified technicians" are wizards and warlocks of the mechanical arts, 'cause $$$$.
Now, don't get me wrong, some shit is best to make it someone else's headache. But that's not for a lack of gumption, but just a matter of convenience.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hmmm, I did a fluid exchange with the wife tonight... Probably not the same thing somehow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pads and rotors went into the wife's minivan today.
That and a transmission fluid exchange.

Took me maybe a half hour,

She doesn't know what she's got.
Best two minutes of her life, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Me thinks that its time for them to both date other men.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pads are the 2nd easiest thing to fix on a car.
View Quote
I'd rather change brakes than oil.

Hell, the water pump and t-stat gasket in the wife's car was almost fun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#25]
GAH OP I want to kick homeboy's ass.
Jesus even if the female I was dating had a dad that was a complete retard missing a hand and drooled I would not disrespect her by criticizing her father.  Let alone disrespecting her dad to her.

I hope the daughter wakes up and realizes he is a disrespectful shit ass that needs kicked to the curb for her own safety and sanity.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He is a worthless, my 15 yr old Daughter can change brake pads.

Things my kids must do before the get their license

1. Change oil, lube joints
2. Rotate tires
3. Change brake pads
4. Change wiper blades
5. Replace a dead car battery

Anyone who can't do the above doesn't need to be driving IMO.
View Quote
I tried all of that with my cousin, he is a sissy.  Can't fill up windshield wiper bottle, doesn't know how to check tire pressure or use the gauge. He has never replaced a 12v battery in his life. He tells me when I was visiting that he pays people to do those things. I said lets go get a battery so I don't have to jump your car again and I'll show you how to do it. He says you aren't qualified to replace that, and I am like uhuh you are right I don't want to help you save $100 by taking you to Autozone where those guys will help a clueless car owner learn how to replace one of these batteries.....I called his sister while I was visiting him and asked her when he became the beta in the house, and she said he has always been that way duh he lives in moms or your aunts basement. Go ask him how many girl friends are now friends.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep I've heard that one, minus the felony part. Can't say that I blame them if they don't know what they're doing.

One of my wife's friends years back refused to let me even take a look at her car, because "he's not a mechanic," despite the fact that she knew I worked on cars as a hobby and did all of our own car maintenance and repair. At the time she was a single mom and had little money to waste on a mechanic's diagnosis, but after I heard that one I was perfectly fine with letting her.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Related to OPs avatar.

Biting Elbows - 'Bad Motherfucker' Official Music Video
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i used to do car work when i was like

but now that i'm older and not poor i just take it to a mechanic
View Quote
I paid a mech to change a clutch when I didn't have even close to the time. I did the next clutch and the one really hard to get bolt hadn't been installed. At a Honda dealer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:47:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:56:31 AM EDT
[#31]
my daughters dumbass boyfriend told me the same thing about her brakes. He said it needed to be professionally done...... I rebuilt my other daughters transmission a few months back  brakes are easy
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Hope the rotors were not glazed or any brake noises he'll be a I told you so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Pic of daughter
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:22:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice avatar.
View Quote
I think thats the daughter...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:23:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not exactly sure about this. It sounded like bullshit because had his dad offered it would have been gravy...His dad is pretty good at drinking and, from what I understand, yelling at his wife.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the dude's story?  Four year degree with a bullshit major?  Sounds like someone that is looking for a sort of validation, and thinks "qualifications" come from a piece of paper.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:31:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Brake pads?!?  Some times I just want off this ride.   

I will bitch when I have to bleed the brake system though. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:16:20 AM EDT
[#38]
finger: wrapped (around)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:21:46 AM EDT
[#39]
I have one car I work on, on my 1997 Land Cruiser.

Everything else someone else gets to do the work because I'm too tired and too lazy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:36:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Meh, this should be thought of as a simple math problem:

If a brake job takes you an hour or costs $100 and you make $300 an hour, you should pay someone else.

If a brake job takes an hour or costs you $100 and you make $7 an hour, you should do it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#41]
My cousin got a flat on her BMW several years ago and neither her nor her bf knew how to swap the spare on. My uncle had to drive out and swap it for them. I couldn't believe it when I heard that. At the end of the day with the profession they both chose I don't think they will ever worry about vehicle repair costs, they both just finished medical school and are working at the best hospital in the area and are newly engaged. So I fix cars for a living and they fix people, I can't do their job and they can't do mine and I like it that way, if everyone could fix cars I'd be unemployed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#42]
I do not have the tools, nor the garage to do basic stuff over here.  Toyota takes care of that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#43]
the thermostat on my 34year old porsche (most likely) needs to be checked.  quoted book job is 7 hours

guess i'll find out
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:30:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pic of daughter
View Quote
Indeed
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In all fairness, you do need the right tools.
Especially those damn pots that need to be turned while they're compressed. WTF!? Those had me all tied up the first time I encountered them.
View Quote
My old 240sx had those on the rear wheels.  Hated those damn things.  The cheap tool os a little square adaptor with different studs on each side.  It sucked.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like OP needs to do a few man-school lessons for his future son in law, not every kid these days has the benefit of even growing up with someone who can teach him such things.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He sounds like a loser.
View Quote
God...

Suppose his air conditioner broke...

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There is an entire generation of males who can't do a damn thing unless it involves the use of an app. Was at my moms this weekend replacing the pads and rotors on her step daughters car. Her husband has parkenson, so he can't do it but he still tries to help.  The other two males there, his son in law and grandson, poster children beta males. Only time they got their faces out of their phones was to eat. My 12 year old son watched me do one side and then he did the other. Every time I'm under the hood of a car, he's with me. Even my son and daughter noticed they were betas and were sickened by it. I told him that's why I had you hold the flashlight for all those years.
View Quote
Well, they can sure pack fudge...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Do it yourselfer through and through. I think you need to know it. Period.

But it depends just as much on the value of a man's hour as his knowledge. I'll hand off work if they do a good job and charge less than I make elsewhere. If I can make $500 while you are fixing my vehicle for $250, and my time is limited, I might hire it out. I am a really good painter, but I just paid a buddy $1,500 to paint an interior while I made $3,000 doing something else. It was like buying a free week.

But if you are unemployed or underemployed, doing your own work is a great way to raise your felt standard of living. But I am preaching to the choir in this group.

ETA: Beat like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Lol.  Like manual labor is a standard by which to judge a man (arguing and being an ass, I can understand)

I don't change my oil, or fix my plumbing, or fix my HVAC.

You know why?

Cuz I already work 60-80 hour weeks, I make good money, and I'm just too damn lazy to waste more time away from my kids.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top