Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Had a stock '78  280.

Beat the snot out of her and she took it all like a champ. Shold have kept it and restored it.
View Quote
Had 1 too.  Last year of the Z before 79 and the ZX 2+2

That 302 dropped right in place in mine.  Turned that car into a BEAST.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Had a stock '78  280.

Beat the snot out of her and she took it all like a champ. Shold have kept it and restored it.
View Quote
Had 1 too.  Last year of the Z before 79 and the ZX 2+2

That 302 dropped right in place in mine.  Turned that car into a BEAST.

ETA-first 3 months I had it, clutch slave cylinder was shot so drove it with no cluch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Those Z-cars, like the 280Z, fit you to the point where you became part of the car.

Very comfortable, snug fit, which made cornering at speed feel natural.

Also, when you're that low to the ground , you feel like you're going much faster than you really are.  Looking back, it was the "funest" car I ever drove.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
on my 78 280 right now when my fuel pump gets warmed up, (about 25 minutes of run time) I think the pressure drops because the car starts bucking and hesitating on acceleration in the lower rpms.

the fuel pump has always sounded like a dying cat too.  rowrrrr rowrrrrrrrrr rowwwwrrr

I've got the new pump to put in but need to motivate.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Love them.  Passed an opportunity to buy a 75 with a chevy 350 transplant. It was a rocket powered go kart 

Ill acquire one soon and maybe do a 1JZ swap. Or RB26DETT
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Always wanted one and was an adolescent as the cars made their initial appearance. So friends having them only upped the interest.

Been following Emily and Aaron on Flying Sparks Garage and learned of them through Roadkill TV. They have resurrected Aaron's Z car and are thrashing with a total redo, to get the car ready for the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour.

You can find them on their youtube channel and they are total gear heads. Bonus points as she's hot as a 3 dollar pistol and truly turns wrenches on her stuff.

They have done some really cool builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTvcd7xZQ-Q
View Quote
Now subscribed... And searching Craigslist for a 240 decent enough to build but not so nice as I would feel bad cutting it up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I test drove a used one at a local Toyota dealer. It had really bad rear end whine.
Salesman talked me into a brand new 1980 Celica.
I saved some money and still, got a great car

I was 19 years old
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a 260Z with the Weber conversion.  Fun car, but I spent a lot of time leaning over the passanger side front fender in a scoop neck Tee while a friend of a friend synced the carburetors.  Threw in the towel and sold it when I was about eight months pregnant, couldn't lean over the fender or fit behind the wheel.
View Quote
I knew I liked you for a reason
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Timely thread, I just picked up my cousins original 1-owner, black pearl 1978 280z.

Its an almost all original (the roof and hood were resprayed due to the Texas sun). She put right at 98000 miles on it in twenty years then it went to her father as a weekend hobby. He's an old Army aviation mechanic and he just maintained it ( heads, valves, injectors, clutch, brakes) in case she ever wanted it back.

I had always wanted a Z in high school but never found a good one so I had an 83 rx7 instead. He finally decided he wanted to sell it and keep it in the family so it was perfect timing for all of us.

Brakes are frozen from sitting in the garage and it needs good shakedown of wear parts but it's such an iconic car. This one is all original, most options and no accident history. Definitely a lot harder to find parts than it used to be though. Looking forward to getting it back on the road.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
One of my favorite body styles of all time
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top