Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Girlfriend and I went for a champagne run last night, got back in her car, and the thing wouldnt start. Lights come on, AC, Music, everything, but the thing just wont start. This one year old, $80,000 car is a POS and has proven to be one on many occasions. Retractable hard top is finicky, tires wont hold air, lots of electronic issues, GPS craps out, blah blah blah

For the 1% of you that would actually consider buying a car like this, dont. Buy a Honda and $50,000 worth of weapons and ammo instead.

Should have gotten a BMW.

Or a Land Rover! then you know its going to break down!

Oi!....thats not nice
True though

True that I had to buy a flipping roof rack to carry all the spare parts!

Got a set of OME' 761/764's laying around?

Nahh I never need spare parts with my Disco since I went through it a few years ago...nothign breaks...its as reliable as a honda...
Though now I have bragged on it its sure to die on the highway in the morning just to spite me

So it's been stored in the barn the last few years? Hopefully you haven't left it outside.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
champagne run?

pimpin ain't easy

If you buy it by the case there are some very good prices right now because of lower demand.  I just helped a friend fill up a new cooler.  30% less than last year for decent stuff.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, wait till you loose a headlight, trans or head gasket in a 745i.....then call me.

If they're loose why not just tighten them up?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Girlfriend and I went for a champagne run last night, got back in her car, and the thing wouldnt start. Lights come on, AC, Music, everything, but the thing just wont start. This one year old, $80,000 car is a POS and has proven to be one on many occasions. Retractable hard top is finicky, tires wont hold air, lots of electronic issues, GPS craps out, blah blah blah

For the 1% of you that would actually consider buying a car like this, dont. Buy a Honda and $50,000 worth of weapons and ammo instead.

Oi!....thats not nice
True though

True that I had to buy a flipping roof rack to carry all the spare parts!

Got a set of OME' 761/764's laying around?

Nahh I never need spare parts with my Disco since I went through it a few years ago...nothign breaks...its as reliable as a honda...
Though now I have bragged on it its sure to die on the highway in the morning just to spite me

So it's been stored in the barn the last few years? Hopefully you haven't left it outside.

I hate to add to the hate, but a friend of mine (see post above about the champagne) just got a new Range Rover because they had some stupid cheap offer and he loves to lease his cars.  He has had it five weeks and it is already leaking brake fluid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not like BMWs are renowned for their reliability.

Something tells me you've never owned one.

Dude –– until relatively recently they weren't renowned for their reliability.  Something tells me that you are a lot younger than 40.  In the old days, sonny, people with older BMWs used to understand that they needed to run them in pairs because one would usually be having issues.  One of the big issues?  Cooling, here in Texas.  Not a minor point.

I don't dislike BMWs –– they do coupes better than anyone –– but they have only recently become "reliable".

It's not the old days anymore.  This is akin to me saying I don't like Honda's styling based on the late '70s CVCC.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yup they always do.. or piss in the driveway..
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Should have bought GM
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Never, ever will I own anything even close.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hate to add to the hate, but a friend of mine (see post above about the champagne) just got a new Range Rover because they had some stupid cheap offer and he loves to lease his cars.  He has had it five weeks and it is already leaking brake fluid.

not a leak.. its part of the under carrage anti rust system.. they all do it.. you pay extra for it!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude –– until relatively recently they weren't renowned for their reliability.  Something tells me that you are a lot younger than 40.  In the old days, sonny, people with older BMWs used to understand that they needed to run them in pairs because one would usually be having issues.  One of the big issues?  Cooling, here in Texas.  Not a minor point.

I don't dislike BMWs –– they do coupes better than anyone –– but they have only recently become "reliable".

It's not the old days anymore.  This is akin to me saying I don't like Honda's styling based on the late '70s CVCC.

Suggesting that BMWs have a well-known reputation for reliability is silly.  They have a new reputation for reliability and I am happy to see that.  Even ten years ago an older BMW was a festival of electrical and cooling problems.  Not 30 years ago –– pretty recently.  They did a lot of work to improve things, and it shows.  I am duly impressed.  But people who have been in a position to buy them for more than just the last few years remember that and note it, as I did.

ETA:

I think that they are great cars but what kept me from buying one back in the 1980s and until relatively recently was that I would need two, not one, and I would have to major it like an airplane to keep it for as long as I keep cars.   I still like them.  I remember the first 750iL that I ever saw, actually, and almost bought the one that Don Johnson used when filming The Hot Spot.  But I just wasn't sure that I wanted to keep a floating "BMW fund" like every other single person I knew who had them.  And I knew lots of them.

Would I buy one now?  Yes, and I am thinking about one of the diesel X5s.  I am thinking pretty hard about it.  But a lot of that is the reliability and that's something new.  Or new-ish.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Should have bought GM

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

550 smg ftw
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The only luxury cars that are actually reliable are the Japanese luxury brands (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti).

BMW is better than Mercedes, LR, and Jaguar, but they're still not what I would call reliable.

The problem is, the japanese only make 1 luxury car that is the Lexus LS 460. Everything else is a sports sedan or some cheap rebadged econocar.

I dont own one, but Jaguar has supposedly improved to the point were you dont need to buy two of them to enjoy one every once in awhile.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]
But I really like the S63!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Must be more than one year old.  The last model year for the SL500 was 2006.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think LR and Jaguar are by far the worst of the "luxury" cars when it comes to reliability.
too true....No Benz on the horizon for me this year..

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only luxury cars that are actually reliable are the Japanese luxury brands (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti).

BMW is better than Mercedes, LR, and Jaguar, but they're still not what I would call reliable.

The problem is, the japanese only make 1 luxury car that is the Lexus LS 460. Everything else is a sports sedan or some cheap rebadged econocar.

I dont own one, but Jaguar has supposedly improved to the point were you dont need to buy two of them to enjoy one every once in awhile.

They make a bunch of luxury cars.  The LS460 is in the same class as the S Class Benz.  The Luxus GS is in the same class as the E Class Benz.  So are you saying the E-Class is not a luxury car either?

Lexus LS, Infinity M, Acura RL are all Luxo cars.  The GS is a Lux/Sport.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#19]
With out pictures it didn't happen
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#20]
"For the 1% of you that would actually consider buying a car like this"

Why don't you just come over and kick us in the nuts? Champage run? I smell something douchey. You could say went out for a drive but instead mention going for something pricey like it too is a status symbol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#21]
That sucks OP. You guy must've gotten unlucky and picked up a dud.

Also, I'll take it off your hands in the condition it is in now. I'll give you $20,000 for it.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. From everyone I have ever talked to, BMWs are less reliable and a lot more expensive to keep up and running.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Why did your girlfriend buy that car in the first place?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#23]
150k on my 3 series btw
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I had your problems.  hahahaha
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Y'all are all missing the point.  We are supposed to be impressed because he dates a gal who can afford one and they go on "champagne runs".
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, not "me", it was my mom's car.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"For the 1% of you that would actually consider buying a car like this"

Why don't you just come over and kick us in the nuts? Champagne run? I smell something douchey. You could say went out for a drive but instead mention going for something pricey like it too is a status symbol.

It looks like conspicuous consumption to me also, but then he can use $100 bills to light his fireplace for all I care.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#28]
100k+ on my 325CiC and still running strong.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#29]

When an MB breaks, it breaks HARD.

Enjoy the econobox C class loaner they'll give you.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't the old days, gramps.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#31]
It's probably a plugged up fuel filter.

CHANGE THE DAMN THING!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#32]
So the Germans dont always make good stuff??
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think LR and Jaguar are by far the worst of the "luxury" cars when it comes to reliability.

FWIW, Jaguar is now the most reliable make on the road.  And there's a lot of Jag under the hoods of new Land Rovers.  The times, they are a-changin'.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lack the funds to buy anything made in Germany

Mercedes may be made in Germany, but it's not a bunch of Swabians in the factories of Untertürkheim anymore.
Mostly Armenians, Turks and Bulgarians, Czechs, and Polish. Many parts of Stuttgart might as well not even be in Germany anymore.

And their suppliers are from all over the world including much of the Pacific rim. It ain't all Bosch, Mann and Siemens anymore.
Lowest bidder. You really are paying for a name now.

BTW, The tranny in my 2001 BMW 530i is made by GM.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#35]
No OP is right just get a damn Honda.

Because if you buy something nice, you never know when some dumbass is going to come around a blind corner in your lane.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not "always," but more often than anyone else.

Japan is close though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"Made in Germany" is not what it once was. German labels have been resting on their laurels for quite some time, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#38]
If I had that kind of money I'd save a little longer and buy a Viper, then keep driving my Focus till the wheels fell off.  I know some like having an expensive/awesome daily driver but I don't and I'm what you may consider a car nut.  Like a previous poster said you never know when someone is going to fuck up and hit your car btw the Aston makes me sick seeing it like that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I agree.  Japanese is the way to go.  I fired my American medical doctor because she's not as good as (I'm sure) a Japanese one.  Whatever you do for a living; I'm sure a Japanese outfit would do it 10X better!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Made in Germany" is not what it once was. German labels have been resting on their laurels for quite some time, IMHO.

Besides maybe Japan, who is better?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The car has two batteries one in the trunk and one under the hood. It should also be under warranty. I have owned two with no problems. She must have a lemon.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I agree.  Japanese is the way to go.  I fired my American medical doctor because she's not as good as (I'm sure) a Japanese one.  Whatever you do for a living; I'm sure a Japanese outfit would do it 10X better!

Aren't you guys on strike?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the product...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#44]
German cars used to be about "minimalist", solid build and sticking to the driving experience. Then they felt they had to pack them with features to compete with the Japanese. Only, I think they had to cut costs and corners to keep up with the falling dollar. So, lots of inferior parts for those "features" came into the mix.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll give you $50 for it
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep, you have ONE bad experience with ONE example of a particular car, and they're ALL crap.  

I see.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
German cars used to be about "minimalist", solid build and sticking to the driving experience. Then they felt they had to pack them with features to compete with the Japanese. Only, I think they had to cut costs and corners to keep up with the falling dollar. So, lots of inferior parts for those "features" came into the mix.

That's a good summary.  Some of the best MBs were the simplest.  An old girlfriend still has a 560SEC and a 560SL.  Her husband can't make her part with them.  Apart from modest oil use issues, she has no issues.  An old friend has an AMG Hammer from back when AMG still made solid stuff.  It still runs like a top.  A cousin has a 500E with a Brabus six liter engine.  I should have bought a 560SL when they were new, but I had 7 VWs at that point and wanted to show how different I was from everyone else in my family.  Stupid.  You could drive the old MBs like a cop car in The Blues Brothers and they would go fast well.  Now, the steering is way too sensitive, the steering wheel is tiny, they have all of these gizmos, and so on.  Not the same thing at all.  Their suspension is tuned for people talking on cell phones with a drink in their hand.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Vince lied?

Unpossible!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#49]
didn't mercedes and chrysler mate years back?  mercedes+chryseler=pos  buy a toyota truck  and lots of gun shit!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the product...

Let's say automobiles and small arms.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top