Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
This was in one of the creepy threads posted by a member , pretty cool story

Seriously, though-

Above Index is only place in the world that I have felt that "fear of imminent death" from an unknown predator(s). I have been all over the place, in lots of hostile situations, and never have felt something like this before or since. But it gets better. First, some background:

To get to Index, you have to turn off the highway and cross a river which separates the town from the surrounding hills. In crossing the bridge, you get this creepy feeling that the bridge is the only way in or out (not true), and that the river is protecting the town from something...else...

The town itself is a nice little place under the shadow of Mount Index, which veritably looms over the town. There's an old wood frame hotel from the 1890's, a church, and some other architectural relics of the long-gone North Cascades gold rush. Index isn't a tourist spot, and is far enough off the highway that it doesn't get any drive-by business. People do live there, and they tend to look warily through their blinds at any vehicle they don't recognize. That's Index.

If you don't take the turn over the bridge into town, the road continues along the river. This is the Index-Galena road. There are cabins and old mobile homes and hunting shacks along the river side of the road. Go a little further, and there's a forest service road to the right. This is Forest Road 6310, or something like that. It climbs up towards Gunn Peak over a series of switchbacks. At the end of the road, there's an old clearcut, with a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.

My wife and I (I already posted the wife pics, go find them.) went up there in the early fall once to picnic with a friend, who wanted to get his new XJ Cherokee Laredo up into the mountains to try out his new tires. He was flush with cash at the time, and volunteered with several Search and Rescue groups. Because of this, he had a Whelan full-width light bar with amber strobes mounted on the XJ. (this is important later in the story). We got up to the clearing in the early afternoon, broke out the food, and enjoyed the setting. Did a little plinking, that kind of thing (We had one Glock 17 and an SP-101 in .38 Special between the three of us.) It was a bit cool (we gained a pretty fair amount of elevation getting there), and we knew the temperature was going to drop as soon the shadows deepened. It darkened even more quickly than we expected, and we began to pack everything up. About then, we heard the first howl. It was a distant wolf- but there weren't supposed to be any wolves up here yet (This was the early '90's- they had not yet been reintroduced to the area). "That was cool" we thought. Then I suddenly got a chill down my back. I wheeled around to look at the nearby tree line- although the clearcut was still in dusky light, it was now pitch black in the trees. It hit me right about then- that primal fear. "We have to go. Now." I said. Our friend looked at me and said something like, "You afraid of a stupid wolf?" Then- another howl- in the treeline- not more than twenty yards away. We all looked at each other, collectively blinked once, and didn't waste any time getting into the jeep. Somehow, it was now dark already- and full dark once the road down entered the treeline. We could hear them all over now- even over the noise of the jeep's inline six- but the sound they made wasn't...quite...right... He started picking up the speed on the single lane gravel forest road. I reached forward and hit the switch for the left side scene lights on the light bar. This caused a single halogen lamp to shine on the trunks of trees as they sped past- and showing the reflection of many sets of eyes in the darkness behind the trees, They were moving- tracking our vehicle- which was now doing about 40 on the narrow road. "We'll lose them on this straight" he said, now pushing fifty. I hit the scene light switch again- only trees. Phew! That was silly, I thought. We're in a car, and we get freaked out by some stupid wolves. Great.

Now out of danger, we approach the first switchback- slow down, make the turn- and there ahead of us- about a half dozen HUGE wolves in the road- waiting for us. They had gone straight down the hill to cut us off at the switchback.-then they were gone. What the hell? Now, we're ALL freaked out. Now tearing down the road, sending gravel flying, approaching the next switchback. I had left both side scene lights on at this point, but all they illuminated were the trunks of trees on the sides of the road. I turned them off. We make the turn- nothing -no wolves. Suddenly, I had an idea- I switched on the strobes. Frozen in disco stop motion of the strobes on both sides of the jeep - wolves - EXCEPT THEY WERE ALL STANDING ON TWO FEET, LIKE MEN! They bound off in frozen staccato stop motion- back down the grade- presumably to meet us on the next switchback- and then-

- I don't remember anything else. We were back on highway 2, heading towards Gold Bar. I turned off the strobes.

Stay away from Index after dark
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I once saw a wolf stand on two legs and walk approximately 30 yards, and then disappear into the woods.  
This was up by where I live, in the far North of Wisconsin near lake superior.  Not typical dogman sighting.  But sure wasnt a normal wolf sighting.  I've seen a lot of weird things in certain places up here.  Long story
View Quote
I read your post

One thing that stands out is you said it's front arms not it's front legs.

Were they hanging down it's side more like human arms do ?  You said they hung lower than what you expect . Can you explain it more ? Were they moving ? Were they stationary ?That's a freaky story to have it keep looking at you like that and to have an encounter that lasts for  3 minutes .
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:26:30 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread needs the Dogman song

Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Seriously, though-

Above Index is only place in the world that I have felt that "fear of imminent death" from an unknown predator(s). I have been all over the place, in lots of hostile situations, and never have felt something like this before or since. But it gets better. First, some background:

To get to Index, you have to turn off the highway and cross a river which separates the town from the surrounding hills. In crossing the bridge, you get this creepy feeling that the bridge is the only way in or out (not true), and that the river is protecting the town from something...else...

The town itself is a nice little place under the shadow of Mount Index, which veritably looms over the town. There's an old wood frame hotel from the 1890's, a church, and some other architectural relics of the long-gone North Cascades gold rush. Index isn't a tourist spot, and is far enough off the highway that it doesn't get any drive-by business. People do live there, and they tend to look warily through their blinds at any vehicle they don't recognize. That's Index.

If you don't take the turn over the bridge into town, the road continues along the river. This is the Index-Galena road. There are cabins and old mobile homes and hunting shacks along the river side of the road. Go a little further, and there's a forest service road to the right. This is Forest Road 6310, or something like that. It climbs up towards Gunn Peak over a series of switchbacks. At the end of the road, there's an old clearcut, with a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.

My wife and I (I already posted the wife pics, go find them.) went up there in the early fall once to picnic with a friend, who wanted to get his new XJ Cherokee Laredo up into the mountains to try out his new tires. He was flush with cash at the time, and volunteered with several Search and Rescue groups. Because of this, he had a Whelan full-width light bar with amber strobes mounted on the XJ. (this is important later in the story). We got up to the clearing in the early afternoon, broke out the food, and enjoyed the setting. Did a little plinking, that kind of thing (We had one Glock 17 and an SP-101 in .38 Special between the three of us.) It was a bit cool (we gained a pretty fair amount of elevation getting there), and we knew the temperature was going to drop as soon the shadows deepened. It darkened even more quickly than we expected, and we began to pack everything up. About then, we heard the first howl. It was a distant wolf- but there weren't supposed to be any wolves up here yet (This was the early '90's- they had not yet been reintroduced to the area). "That was cool" we thought. Then I suddenly got a chill down my back. I wheeled around to look at the nearby tree line- although the clearcut was still in dusky light, it was now pitch black in the trees. It hit me right about then- that primal fear. "We have to go. Now." I said. Our friend looked at me and said something like, "You afraid of a stupid wolf?" Then- another howl- in the treeline- not more than twenty yards away. We all looked at each other, collectively blinked once, and didn't waste any time getting into the jeep. Somehow, it was now dark already- and full dark once the road down entered the treeline. We could hear them all over now- even over the noise of the jeep's inline six- but the sound they made wasn't...quite...right... He started picking up the speed on the single lane gravel forest road. I reached forward and hit the switch for the left side scene lights on the light bar. This caused a single halogen lamp to shine on the trunks of trees as they sped past- and showing the reflection of many sets of eyes in the darkness behind the trees, They were moving- tracking our vehicle- which was now doing about 40 on the narrow road. "We'll lose them on this straight" he said, now pushing fifty. I hit the scene light switch again- only trees. Phew! That was silly, I thought. We're in a car, and we get freaked out by some stupid wolves. Great.

Now out of danger, we approach the first switchback- slow down, make the turn- and there ahead of us- about a half dozen HUGE wolves in the road- waiting for us. They had gone straight down the hill to cut us off at the switchback.-then they were gone. What the hell? Now, we're ALL freaked out. Now tearing down the road, sending gravel flying, approaching the next switchback. I had left both side scene lights on at this point, but all they illuminated were the trunks of trees on the sides of the road. I turned them off. We make the turn- nothing -no wolves. Suddenly, I had an idea- I switched on the strobes. Frozen in disco stop motion of the strobes on both sides of the jeep - wolves - EXCEPT THEY WERE ALL STANDING ON TWO FEET, LIKE MEN! They bound off in frozen staccato stop motion- back down the grade- presumably to meet us on the next switchback- and then-

- I don't remember anything else. We were back on highway 2, heading towards Gold Bar. I turned off the strobes.

View Quote
A buddy and I have been kicking around doing to hiking/camping near index to check it out.

I also was to visit the location for the Mike Minihan story.

Edit. I originally saw it on the FalFiles:

"Back in the winter of 2001 my youngest son and I were on our way from Boise,Idaho to Medford,Oregon.We had taken a car trailer to his old place in Boise in order to haul his non-running Jeep to his new place in Medford.We hit an area of heavy snow in the southern Cascades around 2:00 a.m.It took 45 minutes or so to get down the mountain.We had,of course been drinking coffee to stay alert.
About 25 miles west of the pass it became obvious that the last few quarts of coffee had to be drained.We stopped at a wide spot in the road near a summer tourist haunt,deserted in winter.There is a gas station and ice cream joint on the west side of the road,closed this time of year,and no town or settlement within 30 miles.This is tall timber country,and unsettled.Across the road is a small parking area for the ice cream joint.It is paved and about 200 ft.wide and 80 ft.deep.I pulled in and as I stepped out with .45 on hip,it occurred to me in a flash that grabbing the 590 Mossy would be good.
As we walked to the far end of the area to be well off the road,the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end.The area directly
to our front was open with a depth of 50 yards and a width of 100 yards.The night was clear and cold,8-10 inches of snow on the ground,and with a moon almost full,so we could see quite well.While standing and taking a leak,with son about 15 ft.to my right I saw,as if springing from the earth in front of us across the open area 10 or 12 creatures moving RAPIDLY back and forth in sort of a Thatch weave pattern.These things,not human men,were close to 7 ft.tall,thin,bipedal with long arms,medium length gray fur, and damned fast on their feet.I brought the shotgun up and slid the safety off,as son was drawing his .45.
I don't know if I can adequately explain the overwhelming feeling of menace,but here goes.I had been operating on pure instinct since I had stepped from the pickup,the rotten feeling hit me a split second before the things arrived,the feeling?,instinct?, was that we were prey,and subject to a very bad death,and to be slaughtered and eaten,not a logical process,gut feeling and massively overwhelming.
As they were moving about in front of us,more appeared and mixed among them,all the while running about fast in front of us.Son and I were backing toward the truck,I WOULD NOT present my back to them,and some of them peeled off right and left in an encirclement movement.They were rolling in fast from the sides now,I could smell and feel their presence.We got to the truck loaded on adrenaline and ready to kill,as we both knew we were in grave danger.We piled into the truck,locked doors.I had keys out and ready,as my butt neared the seat, I had the engine lit and trans.in gear and gas pedal mashed in one motion.Adrenaline is great stuff!As we fled,yes fled,something VERY close by let out a ululating scream of rage,and pain.I believe one or more of the group had gotten really close to us in their pursuit and I ran over the foot of one of them,yeah they were that close.We rolled onto the highway and I told son to watch the bed of the pickup as well as the trailer,he already was indexed to the rear with the shotgun.We hauled ass for at least 20 miles before the feeling of grave danger started to abate. The feeling that nailed both of us,as we discussed soon afterward,was one of being prey,and soon to be slaughtered and eaten.I am not easily led,and neither believe or disbelieve all the bigfoot,ghost and werewolf stuff,in fact I am skeptical. Son was speaking with a coworker about 6 months later who had grown up in Prospect,Oregon,about 30 moles south of Union Creek where the incident took place.He asked Jake if he had ever heard of any strange goings-on in the area.Jake went ashy white and pretty much retold the above tale.He says to avoid the place at night.A family friend,a 25 yr.retired cop not given to flights of fancy and an excellent observer, had a tale very similar from a year before.I told my wife of this event of course,she looked at me at the beginning as though I had developed a 3rd eyeball in the center of my forehead.That was from shock,she did believe me,but did not wish to hear any details.She said the tale gave her chills.Me too,as I write this,hair on back of neck and forearms is sticking up.
I have NOT gone back to explore,and would not without a large group of shotgun and flamethrower equipped men with me.
Son and I are both sane,sober persons,and not taken to hysteria.We were wide,VERY wide awake as things transpired.We saw and smelled what was there.As a sidebar neither of us heard footfalls from the creatures.They were silent until i hurt one as we were getting the Hell out of there.
To my knowledge,and I have researched,there is nothing that matches these creatures,unless one considers old legends and folk tales of were creatures. To conclude,I have to fall back on Elmer Keiths famous line,"Hell,I was there"
best regards, Mike Minihan"
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@SteelGator
The creature was standing/walking the whole 3 or so minutes?
View Quote
Yes... I'm estimating that time.  And basing that on how long it takes to walk 45 yards on uneven and furrowed ground, with some time based on it just standing and staring. It could be more or less, but seems fairly close in my mind.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Great stories, in a good way. I should have started reading this sooner.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#7]
In another thread I posted what might have been some bigfeet evidence at my place in southeast Oklahoma. I had not heard of Dogmen put someone mentioned them and it made me remember this.

“Ok, I had not heard of dogmen but that might explain something. My neighbor has some country ass dogs. Shepard and cattle dog mix, shepard and dane, Pit and Rot. They love us and love playing with our city assed dogs when we are up there. They are not scared of shit. They have routinely killed coyotes and wild dogs. They run towards the fight.
Last year, we were hanging out one evening on the porch and there was some distant dog howl sound. All 3 of the country dogs instantly cowered. They tucked tail and got behind us by the wall. Craziest thing I have ever seen. Visibly scared. The city dogs didn't know any better. It was unnerving. These country dogs do not even know what the inside of a house looks like and they rushed into our house as soon as we opened the door. Only time they ever did that in 9 years. We put them in the laundry room that night and they just laid there and didn't budge or do shit until the morning, and then they were fine. Dogman? Wolfen?“

One single distant dog noise caused this behavior. And like I mentioned, the country dogs kill coyotes and I have never seen them scared of anything.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@SteelGator

I'm assuming Iron or Ashland county? Not trying to out you, I just want to know where to avoid, haha. The Chippewa have some interesting beliefs regarding the forests around here.

I've heard and felt some strange things in the woods up here, but I've never seen anything out of place. Wolves freak me out though. I gave up grouse hunting after an encounter, where I suddenly felt like I didn't bring enough ammo.
View Quote
I spend quite a bit of time in Ashland county, but this actually took place in Bayfield county.  It wasnt in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, or any of the state forests, so that should narrow it down some if your familiar with the area.

There have been years here where I've seen more wolves that deer.  It was really bad 8 or 9 years back, but seems like its leveled out lately.  I have quite a few pictures of wolves right by my place and hear them howling some times.  Doesnt help with the ammount of cattle/dairy farms around.  So I hear you there.  I have a lot of stories about just walking up on wolves or having them come around while camping with my wife.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seriously, though-

View Quote
Quoted:

A buddy and I have been kicking around doing to hiking/camping near index to check it out.

I also was to visit the location for the Mike Minihan story.

Edit. I originally saw it on the FalFiles:

"Back in the winter of 2001 my youngest son and I were on our way from Boise,Idaho to Medford,Oregon.We had taken a car trailer to his old place in Boise in order to haul his non-running Jeep to his new place in Medford.We hit an area of heavy snow in the southern Cascades around 2:00 a.m.It took 45 minutes or so to get down the mountain.We had,of course been drinking coffee to stay alert.
About 25 miles west of the pass it became obvious that the last few quarts of coffee had to be drained.We stopped at a wide spot in the road near a summer tourist haunt,deserted in winter.There is a gas station and ice cream joint on the west side of the road,closed this time of year,and no town or settlement within 30 miles.This is tall timber country,and unsettled.Across the road is a small parking area for the ice cream joint.It is paved and about 200 ft.wide and 80 ft.deep.I pulled in and as I stepped out with .45 on hip,it occurred to me in a flash that grabbing the 590 Mossy would be good.
As we walked to the far end of the area to be well off the road,the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end.The area directly
to our front was open with a depth of 50 yards and a width of 100 yards.The night was clear and cold,8-10 inches of snow on the ground,and with a moon almost full,so we could see quite well.While standing and taking a leak,with son about 15 ft.to my right I saw,as if springing from the earth in front of us across the open area 10 or 12 creatures moving RAPIDLY back and forth in sort of a Thatch weave pattern.These things,not human men,were close to 7 ft.tall,thin,bipedal with long arms,medium length gray fur, and damned fast on their feet.I brought the shotgun up and slid the safety off,as son was drawing his .45.
I don't know if I can adequately explain the overwhelming feeling of menace,but here goes.I had been operating on pure instinct since I had stepped from the pickup,the rotten feeling hit me a split second before the things arrived,the feeling?,instinct?, was that we were prey,and subject to a very bad death,and to be slaughtered and eaten,not a logical process,gut feeling and massively overwhelming.
As they were moving about in front of us,more appeared and mixed among them,all the while running about fast in front of us.Son and I were backing toward the truck,I WOULD NOT present my back to them,and some of them peeled off right and left in an encirclement movement.They were rolling in fast from the sides now,I could smell and feel their presence.We got to the truck loaded on adrenaline and ready to kill,as we both knew we were in grave danger.We piled into the truck,locked doors.I had keys out and ready,as my butt neared the seat, I had the engine lit and trans.in gear and gas pedal mashed in one motion.Adrenaline is great stuff!As we fled,yes fled,something VERY close by let out a ululating scream of rage,and pain.I believe one or more of the group had gotten really close to us in their pursuit and I ran over the foot of one of them,yeah they were that close.We rolled onto the highway and I told son to watch the bed of the pickup as well as the trailer,he already was indexed to the rear with the shotgun.We hauled ass for at least 20 miles before the feeling of grave danger started to abate. The feeling that nailed both of us,as we discussed soon afterward,was one of being prey,and soon to be slaughtered and eaten.I am not easily led,and neither believe or disbelieve all the bigfoot,ghost and werewolf stuff,in fact I am skeptical. Son was speaking with a coworker about 6 months later who had grown up in Prospect,Oregon,about 30 moles south of Union Creek where the incident took place.He asked Jake if he had ever heard of any strange goings-on in the area.Jake went ashy white and pretty much retold the above tale.He says to avoid the place at night.A family friend,a 25 yr.retired cop not given to flights of fancy and an excellent observer, had a tale very similar from a year before.I told my wife of this event of course,she looked at me at the beginning as though I had developed a 3rd eyeball in the center of my forehead.That was from shock,she did believe me,but did not wish to hear any details.She said the tale gave her chills.Me too,as I write this,hair on back of neck and forearms is sticking up.
I have NOT gone back to explore,and would not without a large group of shotgun and flamethrower equipped men with me.
Son and I are both sane,sober persons,and not taken to hysteria.We were wide,VERY wide awake as things transpired.We saw and smelled what was there.As a sidebar neither of us heard footfalls from the creatures.They were silent until i hurt one as we were getting the Hell out of there.
To my knowledge,and I have researched,there is nothing that matches these creatures,unless one considers old legends and folk tales of were creatures. To conclude,I have to fall back on Elmer Keiths famous line,"Hell,I was there"
best regards, Mike Minihan"
View Quote
Creepypastas, I think..?
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I read your post

One thing that stands out is you said it's front arms not it's front legs.

Were they hanging down it's side more like human arms do ?  You said they hung lower than what you expect . Can you explain it more ? Were they moving ? Were they stationary ?That's a freaky story to have it keep looking at you like that and to have an encounter that lasts for  3 minutes .
View Quote
Like I said, I wasnt paying a whole lot of attention to the body so much as the head.  Probably subconsciously I was trying to gauge if it was going to come towards me.

If you think how a dog will stand and beg and how its legs still kind of jut forward, this thing didnt seem to have that stance.  I never focused too much on the arms, but you are right in pointing out that I did use that term, and it is how I thought of them.

I know they weren't held out in front, and I do remember the shoulders looking big, and I picked up that the angle of the arms/forelegs seemed off.   I do think that the arms were moving, but I dont remember them swinging in some exaggerated way, like people picture bigfoot or something.

And like I also said, I never took note of what the hands looked like, and so dont know if they were paw shaped or man like.  Which in my mind says it wasnt bringing them up very high.

Hope that makes sense
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#11]
SteelGator, you say arms.. were they muscular, human type arms?

If you don't remember exactly, it could be and that explains your subconscious self referring to them as "arms".

Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you don't remember exactly, it could be and that explains your subconscious self referring to them as "arms".

View Quote
I dont remember them being hugely muscular or anything like that.  Just that the shoulders seemed larger, but I think that has more to do with the angle they were at and less to do with them being muscular.  All I know is the arms  werent held out front like you see a dog do if it were on its hind legs.  So very hard to say for certain.

I still picture this thing as a wolf, that was more than a wolf.   I think on 4 legs you'd never know the difference.  My gut feeling is that if it had just stood up and then went back to all fours I would have never thought anything.  It was the way it turned its head while on its hind feet that gave it away.

It's very hard to explain.  But a wolf or dog or whatever cant look over its shoulder like that... and that's why I feel like when it did it, it seemed to know it had given itself away and so decided to just continue on; and yeah it was terrifying.  Not so much at the time, because I was kind of awed.  But afterwards...  yeah nerve wracking.  I got the shakes when I hit the closest highway.

I have thought about this many times, and maybe this is just my rationalization.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I believe you man because I saw something like that also. Not exactly like you describe . When you said it's shoulders look wider than it should , man.. ..

That's what hit home for me . That was the most prominent feature I  noticed  but what we saw only lasted seconds and it was walking on all fours , it never stood up.
But I never could make out it's face.

edit to add

What we saw was also gray in color and was a daylight sighting
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I am going to post this picture and maybe it will clear up the shoulder thing a little bit.  I took this picture about a year and a half ago close to my home.  I see wolves fairly often.

The yellow line is the shoulder as best as I can show it.  When this other thing I saw stood, its shoulder sat higher and seemed very wide width wise.

Attachment Attached File

As a side note.  This wolf had gotten driven out of its pack and was eventually taken out by the DNR as it had very little fear of humans.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes... I'm estimating that time.  And basing that on how long it takes to walk 45 yards on uneven and furrowed ground, with some time based on it just standing and staring. It could be more or less, but seems fairly close in my mind.
View Quote
Even 1 minute IMO is way longer than any canine would be able to stand and walk.

What you witnessed is truly interesting.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Creepypastas, I think..?
View Quote
Timestamps on the old FalFiles post is older than any reposts I've seen. There were also members who knew him personally, so it's just as real as any tale from our Arfcom creepy thread.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I once saw a wolf stand on two legs and walk approximately 30 yards, and then disappear into the woods.  
This was up by where I live, in the far North of Wisconsin near lake superior.  Not typical dogman sighting.  But sure wasnt a normal wolf sighting.  I've seen a lot of weird things in certain places up here.  Long story
View Quote
@SteelGator

Ashland?

ETA:

I spent a lot of time in Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest when I lived in Ashland. It is a very beautiful, but spooky place. Bayfield is beautiful also.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Timestamps on the old FalFiles post is older than any reposts I've seen. There were also members who knew him personally, so it's just as real as any tale from our Arfcom creepy thread.
View Quote
Its the one story from old creepy thread from years ago that i remember.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Its the one story from old creepy thread from years ago that i remember.
View Quote
Ok, boys and girls: it's time for another CREEPY THREAD

ETA: Correction, it appears to be in EasTexan's creepy thread, which is still active:

FAL Files Post
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No.  A lot of the time they are conducting investigations on other people’s property.  Their number one goal is to maintain privacy and confidentiality.  That being said, I am confident we will cross paths at some point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will they let you join with NV, thermal, and an AR?
No.  A lot of the time they are conducting investigations on other people’s property.  Their number one goal is to maintain privacy and confidentiality.  That being said, I am confident we will cross paths at some point.
I feel like NV and thermal could dispel conjecture pretty quickly.  My REAP spots cotton tails at 500 yards...
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I fideel like NV and thermal could dispel conjecture pretty quickly.  My REAP spots cotton tails at 500 yards...
View Quote
Thermal is king.  I run the patrol, it has been a big asset in the field.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Creepypastas, I think..?
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I dont remember them being hugely muscular or anything like that.  Just that the shoulders seemed larger, but I think that has more to do with the angle they were at and less to do with them being muscular.  All I know is the arms  werent held out front like you see a dog do if it were on its hind legs.  So very hard to say for certain.

I still picture this thing as a wolf, that was more than a wolf.   I think on 4 legs you'd never know the difference.  My gut feeling is that if it had just stood up and then went back to all fours I would have never thought anything.  It was the way it turned its head while on its hind feet that gave it away.

It's very hard to explain.  But a wolf or dog or whatever cant look over its shoulder like that... and that's why I feel like when it did it, it seemed to know it had given itself away and so decided to just continue on; and yeah it was terrifying.  Not so much at the time, because I was kind of awed.  But afterwards...  yeah nerve wracking.  I got the shakes when I hit the closest highway.

I have thought about this many times, and maybe this is just my rationalization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should submit a report at dogmanencounters.com, seriously.  Even just speaking to Vic Cundiff seems to help a lot of people. You may get some answers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fideel like NV and thermal could dispel conjecture pretty quickly.  My REAP spots cotton tails at 500 yards...
Have you ever gone BF on DM hunting with one? They've been a force multiplier for my hog hunting
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Have you ever gone BF on DM hunting with one? They've been a force multiplier for my hog hunting
View Quote
The thermal is my primary tool.  NVG are not very useful hunting for them.  They are prone to no detectable movement for extended periods, they also usually stay behind cover and dwell in the shadows.  You can also track them with thermal.  Their barefeet leave a nice residual.

EDIT:
I want nothing to do with DM.  If I run into it, it will be by accident.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ok, boys and girls: it's time for another CREEPY THREAD

ETA: Correction, it appears to be in EasTexan's creepy thread, which is still active:

FAL Files Post
View Quote
I remember reading that story years ago, first time I had ever heard of someone encountering such a creature. Wrote it off as BS at the time, stumbled upon Dogman Encounters Radio shortly thereafter, now I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The thermal is my primary tool.  NVG are not very useful hunting for them.  They are prone to no detectable movement for extended periods, they also usually stay behind cover and dwell in the shadows.  You can also track them with thermal.  Their barefeet leave a nice residual.

EDIT:
I want nothing to do with DM.  If I run into it, it will be by accident.
View Quote

I don't know why someone would. For a while I wanted to see it again .Through some PM's last year  I had said I wanted to capture it or both of them  on video by baiting them but you kind of talked me out of it.

It's not like searching for Bigfoot it's like searching for something that's evil for lack of a better term .
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I remember reading that story years ago, first time I had ever heard of someone encountering such a creature. Wrote it off as BS at the time, stumbled upon Dogman Encounters Radio shortly thereafter, now I'm not so sure.
View Quote
I'm ambivalent about the subject, in general.

I'm sure that if I  had an encounter like crashburnrepeat's bigfoot sighting, that would change,  but not so far.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
[/u]

I don't know why someone would. For a while I wanted to see it again .Through some PM's last year  I had said I wanted to capture it or both of them  on video by baiting them but you kind of talked me out of it.

It's not like searching for Bigfoot it's like searching for something that's evil for lack of a better term .
View Quote
I have an expedition coming up.  They are finding giant MF wolf tracks in the research area.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have an expedition coming up.  They are finding giant MF wolf tracks in the research area.  
View Quote
Be careful

This is just my own thoughts but I think they mostly stay away from people unless you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Forgive the question,  but what are "MF" wolf tracks?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Forgive the question,  but what are "MF" wolf tracks?
View Quote
Curse words.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Be careful

This is just my own thoughts but I think they mostly stay away from people unless you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
View Quote
This expedition we are rolling heavy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Curse words.
View Quote
Oh!

Gotcha, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Oh!

Gotcha, thanks.
View Quote
It's not something I am remotely interested in finding, but it appears that these different cryptid entities occupy the same areas so it is always a risk.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
In my boozy mindset and currently watching hunt for the skinwalker, I figure with my trusty 7.62 AR pistol and g19 I could dust a dog man easy should I come across one. Reckon 10 hours on the smoker should loosen up that stringy meat.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's not something I am remotely interested in finding, but it appears that these different cryptid entities occupy the same areas so it is always a risk.
View Quote
Agree 110%.

And, I wasn't trying to make light of the situation, i.e., encountering one in person.  No thanks.

It just struck me funny: here I am, thinking MF is some kind of cryptozoologist shorthand or abbreviation, and, no!
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In my boozy mindset and currently watching hunt for the skinwalker, I figure with my trusty 7.62 AR pistol and g19 I could dust a dog man easy should I come across one. Reckon 10 hours on the smoker should loosen up that stringy meat.
View Quote
There are encounter reports of people shooting at these things, including 7.62mm with no effect.  My shooting strategy would be to shoot in the face or girdle if possible.  But my primary weapon is prayer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There are encounter reports of people shooting at these things, including 7.62mm with no effect.  My shooting strategy would be to shoot in the face or girdle if possible.  But my primary weapon is prayer.
View Quote
The name Jesus, prayer, girdle shots.

Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The name Jesus, prayer, girdle shots.

View Quote
Good to have in my back pocket, but I'll remain in the "if it bleeds..." camp. Side note hunt for the skinwalker, like all of Jeremy Corbell's other work, was trash. It's like they can't decide if the ranch is being visited by ghost, aliens, or some terrestrial cryptid. The only thing slightly interesting was the calf that was completely deboned, but even that seemed contrived.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m afraid that is not going to help you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#42]
So what gun & round for Dogmen?
12 Guage Baretta 1301 semi auto with Black magic slugs?
Any good 308 battle rifle loaded with solids or soft points?
AR15 in a heavy caliber, buffalo  bore 458 SOCOM or 50 Beowulf?
Guide gun loaded with Garrett cartridge company heavy cast?
M60 belt fed?
How hard are these things to kill?
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I’m afraid that is not going to help you.
View Quote
I agree, but it is a psychological factor for the team.  Weapons do solve problems, so there's that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Good to have in my back pocket, but I'll remain in the "if it bleeds..." camp. Side note hunt for the skinwalker, like all of Jeremy Corbell's other work, was trash. It's like they can't decide if the ranch is being visited by ghost, aliens, or some terrestrial cryptid. The only thing slightly interesting was the calf that was completely deboned, but even that seemed contrived.
View Quote
I don't like Jeremy Corbell. IDK why. I hope he is genuine, but I worry these documentaries are some kind of fringe art project. I've never met him, so my opinion means fuck all, but still. It makes it hard to watch anymore of his stuff.

And I'm in the "if it bleeds" camp too. No one have given a solid reason why not. All is ever said was it's a bad idea to try.

We finally get a forum to share, yet people remain cryptic.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't like Jeremy Corbell. IDK why. I hope he is genuine, but I worry these documentaries are some kind of fringe art project. I've never met him, so my opinion means fuck all, but still. It makes it hard to watch anymore of his stuff.

And I'm in the "if it bleeds" camp too. No one have given a solid reason why not. All is ever said was it's a bad idea to try.

We finally get a forum to share, yet people remain cryptic.
View Quote
It's a bad idea with Dogman because (from what some people report) it may very well not bleed.

Some of the reported encounters make this thing out to be orders of magnitude stranger than Sasquatch.  While reports of Sasquatch range from curious but gentle forest brother to ungodly killing machine, reports of Dogmen are almost universally malevolent.  Bad mojo.  Demonic.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#46]
The Cloaked Hedgehog's Dogman sightings map, for those of you who are interested.

Dogman Map
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's a bad idea with Dogman because (from what some people report) it may very well not bleed.

Some of the reported encounters make this thing out to be orders of magnitude stranger than Sasquatch.  While reports of Sasquatch range from curious but gentle forest brother to ungodly killing machine, reports of Dogmen are almost universally malevolent.  Bad mojo.  Demonic.
View Quote
This is pretty much it.  Most people would not be prepared to deal with these entities.  You need to to be prepared
for both spiritual and conventional warfare IMO.

@OKNativeSon What are your thoughts on these things?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:51:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

people remain cryptic.
View Quote
I'll take a shot at guessing why people remain cryptic,
because its all BULLSHIT being put out there to simply  entertain everyone.
And yes, it is very entertaining!
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'll take a shot at guessing why people remain cryptic,
because its all BULLSHIT being put out there to simply  entertain everyone.
And yes, it is very entertaining!
View Quote
until you see one
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top