Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This is absolutely freaking mindblowing to read!!! One of the guys, not to mention his employees, family and company, that has a lot to lose has not even tried to contact the people who could get this rectified and changed?!?! If my livelihood was on the line as well as many others, I would be on the phone everyday to try and track down who I needed to speak to so this situation gets rectified.

It seems that he is hoping everyone else will do all the work to put pressure on this to get it reversed.  

He is. Read all his posts.

You expect one small businessman to reverse this policy without assistance? It sounds you're just trying to rationalize your indifference to the importance of this matter. It is under the feet of the likes of you that this country is being trampled.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]
For anyone who thinks this is still bullshit, you need to check out the reloading sites that offer OF Mil brass, all but one has pulled the product off the shelf.  

This is GUN CONTROL the DOD is stopping the flow of brass to the civilian population, I've checked my resources and its confirmed all US Mil-spec brass is gone and some places are limiting the ammount of ammo to customers.  Gun control via AMMUNITION CONTROL where are the people that said this would never happen?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll add this link to the discussion.http://forums.hannity.com/showthread.php?t=1366951&page=8 this is a guy who apparently acquired some of the said brass in question and is awaiting a response as of "As of 11:30am PDT, 3/16/09", regarding the new issue at hand. The same people that order the DOD to do stuff, can also order them to not mention anything about the person who ordered the change. It works both ways.

Jeremy

Checked out that thread & joined the site.  Read a little more...

That place is infested with libtard trolls...
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Pound Pound Poun every senator & Congressman you can find (including Pelosi)!  DeMints office was made aware of it March the 13th at 9 am when I called them!  I'm from SC and started bright and early buying brass and calling critters after I got the email Thursday night.  While some questioned the validity of this, I said just start calling and writing!  Stir up a whirl wind that will trump anything they could ever imagine!
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Sending mail to my congresswoman.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Just heard Larry from Georgia Arms on the G Gordon Liddy show talking about this...
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
You might want to consider this as breaking news...

I don't post a lot around here and most of you have no idea who I am.  Fact is, I'm an IT guy.  A regular, run-of-the-mill computer jockey.  But I happen to work for DOD Surplus/Government Liquidation. I've been told by my CEO that as of this morning the requirement to mutilate expended brass has been lift by virtue of a reclassification from Demil B to Demil Q.  This applies to all calibers .50 and under.  I'm still trying to get confirmation that .50 cal is included in the "safe to sell" list, or whether mutilation is still required.

I'm busy at work right now, but I will try to post back with more detail and updates when I get the chance.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have E-mailed my Representative and Senators on this Issue. Does anyone know If the NRA is doing anything about this?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't post a lot around here and most of you have no idea who I am.  Fact is, I'm an IT guy.  A regular, run-of-the-mill computer jockey.  But I happen to work for DOD Surplus/Government Liquidation. I've been told by my CEO that as of this morning the requirement to mutilate expended brass has been lift by virtue of a reclassification from Demil B to Demil Q.  This applies to all calibers .50 and under.  I'm still trying to get confirmation that .50 cal is included in the "safe to sell" list, or whether mutilation is still required.

I'm busy at work right now, but I will try to post back with more detail and updates when I get the chance.

Ed

I like good news, but not enough to believe Mr. Random Internet Guy without verification. Thanks for posting though, and I hope verification is coming forthwith.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#11]
This was changed solely on the grounds of how much stink was raised by everyone in forums like this who bitched, moaned, and griped about it, and those who called, wrote, and emailed the representatives and anyone else who would listen.  The DLA was not going to listen to the CEO of our company, alone, as the only voice of protest.

I'm not at liberty to post anything official –– I'm not that important and I'm not at that pay grade.  There will be another follow up email (likely today) to all subscribers of the newsletter from our website that started this whole ordeal.  

Ed
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ed

Ed,

As soon as this is verified, could you urge your CEO to send an email to the original recipients of the Thursday email that started all this?

Thanks,
Thane

ETA:  You beat me to it Ed.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Finally some good news.

Now we need primers and powder
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I certainly hope this SNAFU is reversed ASAP.

I'm disappointed but not surprised by all the nay-sayers in this thread that were flaming the OP. I appreciate his attempt to warn us about the new changes so we could contact our gov reps. En masse, our individual power increases exponentially.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ed

This sounds like great stuff.......but I hope we can get official verification soon. If it is true then I say HOT DAMN.......but let's be sure of it with official details before we even  THINK ABOUT LETTING UP THE PRESSURE!
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Chalk one small WIN! up for the little guys.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This was changed solely on the grounds of how much stink was raised by everyone in forums like this who bitched, moaned, and griped about it, and those who called, wrote, and emailed the representatives and anyone else who would listen.  The DLA was not going to listen to the CEO of our company, alone, as the only voice of protest.

I'm not at liberty to post anything official –– I'm not that important and I'm not at that pay grade.  There will be another follow up email (likely today) to all subscribers of the newsletter from our website that started this whole ordeal.  

Ed

How about getting them to also lift the destruction order on AMMO CANS.    There is no reason to destroy these " Tool Boxes"

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have E-mailed my Representative and Senators on this Issue. Does anyone know If the NRA is doing anything about this?

I emailed them this morning. I got a reply within an hour:

Thank you for your email.

We are aware of the de-mil brass issue and have been in contact with officials at DOD regarding this matter and are working to get it resolved.

Please check our website www.nraila.org or contact us directly via email or 800-392-8683 for future updates.

Sincerely,

Krista Cupp
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ed

Some would have called our reaction "knee-jerk", but I think it sends a signal that this will not stand!

Sitting around waiting for official word is equal to giving up.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#22]
If this has indeed been lifted, that speaks volumes about the effacy of these forums in making shooters aware of these issues.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#24]
When this situation gets resolved, I hope that cartridge brass will be given a specific sales procedure that will stop this type of SHIT from happening again!

post script––––––-as the guy said a few posts ago.........the DOD also needs to stop destroying ammo cans. That makes NO sense either!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about getting them to also lift the destruction order on AMMO CANS.    There is no reason to destroy these " Tool Boxes"

Huh?

No such order on ammo cans out there that I am aware of.

Who told you that?

I saw it last night on one of the many threads I was monitoring for brass sales info. I will try to find it today. The statement I read last night sounded legit , though.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't count our chickens before they're hatched.

Keep the pressure on until we have verifiable confirmation. Press them from every angle.

Since police departments and local governments are affected by this, it's worthwhile to lean on governors, mayors, and sheriffs, and to bring this to the attention of armorers. Stress the financial idiocy of this government waste. If you're talking to a Democrat Comrade, gently but firmly point out that failure to rectify this situation and guarantee our access to non-mutilated expended brass is proof positive that the Party intends to nullify the Constitution by any means necessary, including coercive "price signals."
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#27]
hoping for official responce, I too wrote all Texas Reps in senate and house
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep the pressure on until we have verifiable confirmation. Press them from every angle.

Since police departments and local governments are affected by this, it's worthwhile to lean on governors, mayors, and sheriffs, and to bring this to the attention of armorers. Stress the financial idiocy of this government waste. If you're talking to a Democrat Comrade, gently but firmly point out that failure to rectify this situation and guarantee our access to non-mutilated expended brass is proof positive that the Party intends to nullify the Constitution by any means necessary, including coercive "price signals."

You do not know me well. I never do that, but I felt like after all the bad news, that maybe this was a bright spot of good news for a change.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#29]
If this good news is true, that is very exciting indeed.

I have phoned and emailed all of my reps, and even phoned and spoke with one of McCain's staffers.

The Arfcom army will stand down once the good news becomes official.

Until then we should "ranger on."
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

Some would have called our reaction "knee-jerk", but I think it sends a signal that this will not stand!

Maybe add something to the OP title that the breaking news is unconfirmed?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

Maybe add something to the OP title that the breaking news is unconfirmed?

DONE.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Well I sent E-mails to Congressman Shadegg, Senator Kyl and MacDaddy on Saturday. I sure hope this new is true.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#33]
This supposedly came from Senator Lindsey Graham's office today:

Below is what Senator Graham's office has found.

They are monitoring
the waiver request closely and should know something in the next 2-3 weeks.

As you know, this would be a big problem for law enforcement agencies
with

low budgets (most of them) and recreational shooters who depend on
expended

military brass for reloading if the waiver is not granted. There is
no

"security risk" for selling used brass in bulk. It was probably just
a

short-sighted bureaucratic move that did not foresee the
unintended

consequences.

Military property is subject to certain
coding, according to its type and

use, whether it can be sold commercially
and, if so, under what

restrictions.

According to the sales division
of the Defense Reutilization and Marketing

Service (DRMS), fired small arms
cartridge cases, until recently, were DEMIL

(demilitarization) Code E,
meaning that they could not be sold unless

destroyed. However, a waiver to
the destruction requirement allowed the

cases to be sold intact, within the
United States, but not for export.

Property given DEMIL Code B could be
sold as well, under some restrictions.

However, in the last days of the Bush
Administration, Under-Secretary Bell

issued a policy letter prohibiting the
sale of Code B property. A waiver

could be obtained, to allow the sale of
Code B property if destroyed in a

prescribed manner. At the time, this was
irrelevant to the question of small

arms cartridge cases, because they were
still Code E.

Recently, however, the Demilitarization Coding Management
Office within the

DRMS recommended that small arms cartridge cases be given
Code B. This

recommendation was accepted. Therefore, currently, fired
military small arms

cartridge cases are Code B property that may be sold only
if destroyed.

However, the sales division of DRMS, recognizing the impact
that this new

policy will have on small businesses who sell loaded ammunition
utilizing

these fired cases, and upon gun owners who purchase such ammunition
at

considerable cost savings, has suspended the collection of fired
cartridge

cases from military bases, to prevent their destruction. And, they
will be

petitioning for a waiver, to allow the sale of intact cartridge cases

caliber and below. They are not asking for a waiver for larger cases,
which

are purchased as souvenir type items –– artillery shells, for example.
They

anticipate that within the next 2-3 weeks, the waiver will be
approved.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do not know me well. I never do that, but I felt like after all the bad news, that maybe this was a bright spot of good news for a change.

I apologize, I should not have presumed you were letting your guard down. But I agree, this would be awesome news!
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

[snip]

Well this could be good news, I am impressed with the results gun owners have been getting lately.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#37]
hope it's true
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Below is what Senator Graham's office has found.

They are monitoring the waiver request closely and should know something in the next 2-3 weeks.

As you know, this would be a big problem for law enforcement agencies with
low budgets (most of them) and recreational shooters who depend on expended
military brass for reloading if the waiver is not granted. There is no
"security risk" for selling used brass in bulk. It was probably just a
short-sighted bureaucratic move that did not foresee the unintended
consequences.

Military property is subject to certain coding, according to its type and
use, whether it can be sold commercially and, if so, under what
restrictions.

According to the sales division of the Defense Reutilization and Marketing
Service (DRMS), fired small arms cartridge cases, until recently, were DEMIL
(demilitarization) Code E, meaning that they could not be sold unless
destroyed. However, a waiver to the destruction requirement allowed the
cases to be sold intact, within the United States, but not for export.

Property given DEMIL Code B could be sold as well, under some restrictions.
However, in the last days of the Bush Administration, Under-Secretary Bell
issued a policy letter prohibiting the sale of Code B property. A waiver
could be obtained, to allow the sale of Code B property if destroyed in a
prescribed manner. At the time, this was irrelevant to the question of small
arms cartridge cases, because they were still Code E.

Recently, however, the Demilitarization Coding Management Office within the
DRMS recommended that small arms cartridge cases be given Code B. This
recommendation was accepted. Therefore, currently, fired military small arms
cartridge cases are Code B property that may be sold only if destroyed.

However, the sales division of DRMS, recognizing the impact that this new
policy will have on small businesses who sell loaded ammunition utilizing
these fired cases, and upon gun owners who purchase such ammunition at
considerable cost savings, has suspended the collection of fired cartridge
cases from military bases, to prevent their destruction. And, they will be
petitioning for a waiver, to allow the sale of intact cartridge cases .50
caliber and below. They are not asking for a waiver for larger cases, which
are purchased as souvenir type items –– artillery shells, for example. They
anticipate that within the next 2-3 weeks, the waiver will be approved.

This looks like a step in the right direction, but wouldn't it be better just to have brass reclassified entirely? Being sold under a "waiver" just sounds so... ephemeral.

Now for a question from someone (me) who knows virtually nothing about the technicalities in play here: Does the waiver apply to all once-fired brass, or does the waiver apply only to certain purchasers (i.e., does each purchaser have to get his own waiver)?
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This looks like a step in the right direction, but wouldn't it be better just to have brass reclassified entirely? Being sold under a "waiver" just sounds so... ephemeral.

Now for a question from someone (me) who knows virtually nothing about the technicalities in play here: Does the waiver apply to all once-fired brass, or does the waiver apply only to certain purchasers (i.e., does each purchaser have to get his own waiver)?

My understanding as of right now is that it would apply to all once fired brass.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Let's hope this stays slightly under the radar, we don't want nobama to keep the ban there.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Let's hope this stays slightly under the radar, we don't want nobama to keep the ban there.

TXL

That ships already sailed, as soon as people started writing congress I'm sure someone in at least one of their offices checked with the white house (at some level).
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#43]
I am still remaining highly suspicous...........but this situation is looking.........better and better!
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

TXL

I'm tired of gun owners staying slightly under the radar, hoping to avoid getting stepped on.  That hasn't worked.

We need to make sure that EVERYONE knows we are paying attention and will fight every restriction they send our way.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I am still remaining highly suspicous...........but this situation is looking.........better and better!

+1 don't quit with the pressure to change it.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXL

I'm tired of gun owners staying slightly under the radar, hoping to avoid getting stepped on.  That hasn't worked.

We need to make sure that EVERYONE knows we are paying attention and will fight every restriction they send our way.

+1;On your heels defense will not work with these bastards.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#47]

The above quoted information suggests that we now have a thread to pull on to find out who and what was behind this change.  

Why did DCMO recommend the change to a code that drastically altered what could be done with the cartridge casings compared with historical practices?

At whose behest?

This page says that the coding of a particular kind of thing can be "challenged" –– thus, it had to be a specific challenge from SOMEONE that got brass casings reclassified:  http://www.drms.dla.mil/pubaff/html/demil.html  

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it was either someone in the executive branch (most likely department of justice), or a very liberal congress critter.

Because the challenge had to have been specific to the brass, that really makes it more likely this was an intentional thing done to hit at our interests.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The above quoted information suggests that we now have a thread to pull on to find out who and what was behind this change.  

Why did DCMO recommend the change to a code that drastically altered what could be done with the cartridge casings compared with historical practices?

At whose behest?

This page says that the coding of a particular kind of thing can be "challenged" –– thus, it had to be a specific challenge from SOMEONE that got brass casings reclassified:  http://www.drms.dla.mil/pubaff/html/demil.html  

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it was either someone in the executive branch (most likely department of justice), or a very liberal congress critter.

Because the challenge had to have been specific to the brass, that really makes it more likely this was an intentional thing done to hit at our interests.

+1

Whoever "reccomended" it KNEW what would happen if it were reclassified and this was their intended goal.
I agree 100%. Scumbag POS!

-ZA

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

At whose behest?

Goddam.

1.  F-14 parts sold by mistake
2.  Holy shit, how did that happen? Fix, fix, fix, ASAP!
3.  Change codes in database for all items with Demil "XX" to Demill "YY" (Unobtanium-carbide rivet and small-arms brass shared same code)
4.  Problem solved, no more F-14 parts will bet lose (no small-arms brass, either)
5.  Shitstorm!
6.  Oops, sorry, we did not realize that brass would be affected up by this
7.  Change Demil codes on following items back to "XX" from "YY", screen carefully to ensure proper line-items this time (Small arms brass OK to sell, just as before)
8.  Tards now changing target of conspiracy
9.  Shitstorm!

Really, it's that simple, or hard, depending on the amount of foil on your head. Anyone still screaming conspiracy is a retard.

Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top