Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
OP - Have you registered any of your guns with them yet? If so, what was that process like?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP - Have you registered any of your guns with them yet? If so, what was that process like?
View Quote

No, because I don't live there.

I'll see what the they say in the law course, but I do not think you have to register firearms there if you don't live there.  I don't know tho.  Leave it to that dipshit district to also require you to register whatever firearm you carry.  I'll be sure to ask in the class.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are the instructors traveling or offering any weekend classes?
View Quote

Don't know, I just know what this guy is currently offering.  There's a list of approved instructors on the MPD site apparently.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wonder if they waive any requirements for LEOs.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the forms, instructions, etc can be found here.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/applying-concealed-carry-pistol-license

As far as finding classes, if anyone is really interested I can steer you in the right direction.

I would think, as in the post above I quoted they accept retired LEO credentials in lieu of training.  However the DC law class is required of everyone, no matter what.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Im glad I no longer have any business up that way, but if I did I would be all over it. Hell if it wasnt a pain to take the class I would do it anyway. A DC CWP will be a collector's item eventually.
View Quote

Perhaps.  Maybe once they crack down again I'll autograph mine, frame it and sell it in EE for a mint
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as finding classes, if anyone is really interested I can steer you in the right direction.

Doesn't LEOSA cover you?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'll see what the they say in the law course, but I do not think you have to register firearms there if you don't live there.  I don't know tho.  Leave it to that dipshit district to also require you to register whatever firearm you carry.  I'll be sure to ask in the class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure you need to register any handgun that you plan to possess in DC. You get one freebie with your carry permit application. It has to be 10 or fewer rounds and be on the CA, MA or MD "approved" list.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wait - I thought you had to be a DC resident.  Can someone living in VA apply?  That would be awesome!
View Quote

Since open carry is prohibited wouldn't denying out of state applicants be a violation of equal protection for their right to carry?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Since open carry is prohibited wouldn't denying out of state applicants be a violation of equal protection for their right to carry?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait - I thought you had to be a DC resident.  Can someone living in VA apply?  That would be awesome!

Like DC gives a shit about that.

The only reason they're issuing permits to ANYONE is because they've been taken behind the woodshed several times by a federal judge recently.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure you need to register any handgun that you plan to possess in DC. You get one freebie with your carry permit application. It has to be 10 or fewer rounds and be on the CA, MA or MD "approved" list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm having a hard time with this. Do you know if this is the site that says what firearms are gtg in Maryland? LINK

If it is then every handgun I own is on there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Doesn't LEOSA cover you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't LEOSA cover you?

I would think it would but I need to read through their restrictions.  By law,  LEOs are supposed to comply with the local CCW laws.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#12]
This is a tag.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Would passing through DC be reason enough for the following?

District of Columbia law requires you to demonstrate either that: (1) you have good reason to fear injury to yourself or your property; or (2) you have another proper reason for carrying a concealed pistol.

Demonstration of Good Reason to Fear Injury to Person or Property
To demonstrate a good reason to fear injury to yourself, you must:

?? Show a special need for self-protection distinguishable from the general community, as supported by evidence
of specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to your life.
??
Allege serious threats of death or serious bodily harm, any attacks on yourself, or any theft of property from
your person.

?? Allege that the threats are of a nature that the legal possession of a pistol is necessary as a reasonable
precaution against the apprehended danger.

?? Provide all evidence of contemporaneous reports to the police of such threats or attacks, and disclose whether
or not you made a sworn complaint to the police or the courts of the District of Columbia concerning any threat or attack.

Pursuant to District of Columbia law, the fact that you live or work in a high crime area shall not by itself establish a good reason to fear injury to yourself or your property for the issuance of a concealed carry license.
You can also include any supporting statements from third parties, but the statements must be made under oath and before a notary.

Demonstration of Other Proper Reason for a Concealed Carry License
This may include: (1) employment of a type that requires the handling of large amounts of cash or other highly valuable objects that must be transported on your person; or (2) the need for you to provide protection of a family member who is physically or mentally incapacitated to a point where that family member cannot act in defense of himself or herself, or his or her property. You can include any documents (such as police reports or court documents) and/or personal statements to demonstrate that you have a proper reason to be issued a Concealed Carry License.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#14]
If you get your DC CCW, just remember that there are a whole shitload of places that you cannot carry.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

District of Columbia law requires you to demonstrate either that: (1) you have good reason to fear injury to yourself or your property; or (2) you have another proper reason for carrying a concealed pistol.

Demonstration of Good Reason to Fear Injury to Person or Property
To demonstrate a good reason to fear injury to yourself, you must:

?? Show a special need for self-protection distinguishable from the general community, as supported by evidence
of specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to your life.
??
Allege serious threats of death or serious bodily harm, any attacks on yourself, or any theft of property from
your person.

?? Allege that the threats are of a nature that the legal possession of a pistol is necessary as a reasonable
precaution against the apprehended danger.

?? Provide all evidence of contemporaneous reports to the police of such threats or attacks, and disclose whether
or not you made a sworn complaint to the police or the courts of the District of Columbia concerning any threat or attack.

Pursuant to District of Columbia law, the fact that you live or work in a high crime area shall not by itself establish a good reason to fear injury to yourself or your property for the issuance of a concealed carry license.
You can also include any supporting statements from third parties, but the statements must be made under oath and before a notary.

Demonstration of Other Proper Reason for a Concealed Carry License
This may include: (1) employment of a type that requires the handling of large amounts of cash or other highly valuable objects that must be transported on your person; or (2) the need for you to provide protection of a family member who is physically or mentally incapacitated to a point where that family member cannot act in defense of himself or herself, or his or her property. You can include any documents (such as police reports or court documents) and/or personal statements to demonstrate that you have a proper reason to be issued a Concealed Carry License.

To answer your question.....yes it would. But all that is irrelevant as of right now. Those requirements are not needed while under appeal, because ya know.....that pesky 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you get your DC CCW, just remember that there are a whole shitload of places that you cannot carry.

View Quote

Concealed means concealed??
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe if its a warning, tresspass, or fine involved, but not when we're talking jailtime or getting shot in the face.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe if its a warning, tresspass, or fine involved, but not when we're talking jailtime or getting shot in the face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention that a lot of the government buildings have metal detectors anyway.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What is this shit? I have a DD214 but I was an admin guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I was confused about one thing - the training req.  Didn't I see that it was something on the order of $200-$400?  I've got plenty of range time and have done some formal carbine/pistol courses as well, but I'm not sure how to prove that for the DCPD.

Download the instructions.

If you are requesting an exemption to the firearms training course requirements, Section 2336.3 of
the regulations requires you to provide supporting documentation, such as:

- Firearms training provided by the National Rifle Association
- DD Form 214 if it shows special training for marksmanship
- Retired law enforcement officer credentials
- Hunting license
- Armed special police officer license

What is this shit? I have a DD214 but I was an admin guy.

Buy a hunting license?  
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not to mention that a lot of the government buildings have metal detectors anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't necessarily mean into the buildings. They were talking like around the perimeters of certain buildings, is considered federal property. I can't see it being an issue for walking down the sidewalk outside of a government building.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I was confused about one thing - the training req.  Didn't I see that it was something on the order of $200-$400?  I've got plenty of range time and have done some formal carbine/pistol courses as well, but I'm not sure how to prove that for the DCPD.

If you are requesting an exemption to the firearms training course requirements, Section 2336.3 of

- Hunting license

A hunting license satisfies their requirement for training?  Really?  Odd in a place like DC.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Doesn't LEOSA cover you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't LEOSA cover you?
Yes, but LEOSA doesn't give me blanket authority to carry in places that a local permit might.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I would think it would but I need to read through their restrictions.  By law,  LEOs are supposed to comply with the local CCW laws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't LEOSA cover you?

No, LEOSA overrides local law. But LEOSA might restrict me where a local permit won't.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Which instructor are you taking it with?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No, LEOSA overrides local law. But LEOSA might restrict me where a local permit won't.  
View Quote

That's unlikely in the case of DC. For both what you can carry and where you can carry.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Meanwhile, in the people's republic of new jerseystan....
Shitshow still continuing, no end in sight.

And even if we could carry, the hollowpoint laws would have us more or less limited to FMJ, powrball, etc.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A hunting license satisfies their requirement for training?  Really?  Odd in a place like DC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Hunting license

Rock Creek Park?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And even if we could carry, the hollowpoint laws would have us more or less limited to FMJ, powrball, etc.
View Quote

Lead wadcutters are often underestimated. I would not feel undergunned if they were all I could carry legally.

For that matter, I don't carry HPs at all in my pocket guns - .32ACP doesn't have enough energy to need them. Even up to .380 ACP or .38 Special, plain old "lead round nose" is almost certainly going to guarantee complete energy transfer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I never expected that DC would be better for CCW then a half dozen or so states.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't necessarily mean into the buildings. They were talking like around the perimeters of certain buildings, is considered federal property. I can't see it being an issue for walking down the sidewalk outside of a government building.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I expect that is exactly what the DC Law course is about.  Where you can and can't carry, etc.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a step in the right direction, but still seems like a lot of bs to go through to get a permit.  Are most states really like that?  Fingerprints, training, 2 hr class?  I wish Md would get with the program.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm having a hard time with this. Do you know if this is the site that says what firearms are gtg in Maryland? LINK

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will specifically ask about registration for outside residents at the course.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's a step in the right direction, but still seems like a lot of bs to go through to get a permit.  Are most states really like that?  Fingerprints, training, 2 hr class?  I wish Md would get with the program.
View Quote

Yes, many states are like that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#34]

I wonder if they'd let a Texan get one.  I kinda want to start collecting out of state CHL permits like Pokemon now...
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure you do, and they have to be "on the list" of approved guns, ie 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Pretty sure you do, and they have to be "on the list" of approved guns, ie 10 round mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I gotta I gotta.  I'll ask in the class, and if that is the case, I'll register one when I get approved for the CCW.  My daily carry is a 1911 anyways, so the 10 round requirement won't hurt my head.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I wonder if they'd let a Texan get one.  I kinda want to start collecting out of state CHL permits like Pokemon now...

View Quote
Same here and I have LEOSA covering me.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lead wadcutters are often underestimated. I would not feel undergunned if they were all I could carry legally.

For that matter, I don't carry HPs at all in my pocket guns - .32ACP doesn't have enough energy to need them. Even up to .380 ACP or .38 Special, plain old "lead round nose" is almost certainly going to guarantee complete energy transfer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are wadcutters better than FMJ in such a scenario? (In services calibers as well?)
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It is similar to most states...you have to have firearms and a minimum range training unless you provide proof you are exempt, i.e. a DD214.

View Quote

SOME states.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#41]

WTF, has your paperwork already been submitted? I would expect a denial.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#42]

I had a feeling it was too good to be true.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, that was short-lived. Glad I didn't rush to apply.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#44]
The appeal responses are due next week.  I would expect if they deny them while the appeal is being filed, if they reject them but lose the appeal they will have to re-instate them, as the courts will have ruled that they were unlawfully rejected.  So they very well may not rush to deny them.  I'm hoping.  We'll see.

But fuck the court for issuing a stay.  Horseshit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[list]
- Hunting license

Yeah - read that.  Unfortunately none of those apply to me.  Guess I'd have to "retrain", eh?

Yep.

An NRA Basic pistol course can be had in Northern Virginia for arount $100-125.
A resident hunting license in VA is $23.  The online hunter education course is $24.50 from www.hunter-ed.com/Virginia.  The requirement doesn't say you have to hunt, just have a license.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The appeal responses are due next week.  I would expect if they deny them while the appeal is being filed, if they reject them but lose the appeal they will have to re-instate them, as the courts will have ruled that they were unlawfully rejected.  So they very well may not rush to deny them.  I'm hoping.  We'll see.

But fuck the court for issuing a stay.  Horseshit.
View Quote

Appellate courts aren't known for the swiftness with which they issue opinions. It will probably be months after the briefing is done before they decide the case. And then DC will request a stay while they petition for cert to SCOTUS if they lose.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Well Crap.

Now that I have the time to go and apply, they aren't issuing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top